Barcelo Maya Colonial
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Barcelo Maya Palace(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Tropical(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Caribe(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Beachfront
Barcelo Maya Beach(Puerto Aventuras)
  • Pool
  • Pool
LM by Inmense(Puerto Aventuras)
6,710 results
All reviewsjalisco buildingseafooda la carte restaurantsmini golfair transatother resortsjapanese restaurantplaya del carmengreat resorttropical poolbowling alleykids water parkpalm treesbarcelo mayafamily vacationwater sportskids club
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We vacationed in the Barceló Colonial in Mexico's Maya Riviera August 5 thru August 12. Our experience was amazing, to say the least! We tried a different restaurant every night and the food was way beyond our expectations. For example, the salmon in the seafood restaurant was so incredible that after the first bite I stopped chewing in amazement! The buffet was great, so much to choose from and so fresh .This is the first resort in which I did not feel sick at all.

The staff are so very hard working, friendly and helpful. The hotel is staffed very well and we were never ever lacking for anything.

Our room was clean and very nice, we had a junior suite. We did sometimes need more towels, but no problem to get from the housekeeping. We had some laundry done, it was done very well and professionally.

The pools were amazing, and seeing the cleaning process was impressive! In fact, the staff is constantly maintaining the hotel, it is so beautiful everywhere! The grounds perfect! The beach seaweed seems to be a lot this year, but they worked very hard to clean it off with staff and machines. The seaweed seems to be a geological anomaly this year, and Barceló is taking care of what nature seems to be bringing.

The entertainment was awesome as well! Incredible talent, costumes, everything! We were enthralled morning, noon and night!

I have been to many highly rated resorts all over the world, including Atlantis in the Bahamas, Broadmoor in Colorado, Rome, Hawaii, but this one has gained more points in my opinion as the food was better than anywhere, very hard working and friendly staff, and just the beauty and care of the resort.

Next time I will bring my own snorkel stuff, for simple snorkeling. There are turtles and all kinds of fish just on the beach area close to rocks! And, pack some inexpensive innertubes or rafts, it is permitted and fun to float on the ocean. They do sell them, but Wal Mart prices are probably better.

We did go on the Tulum tour, our trip advisor was Cesar and he was great! Good trip with beach and snorkeling. We loved it!

Whoever runs Barceló, is doing an amazing job.

My only complaint, that I had to leave!

Hope to be back.

You will enjoy this resort.

Room Tip: Definitely purchase the Premium package. You will get faster check in and out service, and more restaurant nights, if you do not stay in the palace. Do get a junior suite if you are able, it is more roomy.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Elise G
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical staff involved in your entire satisfaction. We are sure you will enjoy the new surprising restaurants and services that Barceló Hotels is preparing for you!
We really appreciate your kindly comments and we look forward to welcome you back soon.
Best regards!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I really liked this resort. It was our first time doing an exclusive, and we will definitely will do it again next year. We will probably stay here again. It was a very clean, quiet resort. Seemed to be mostly families. My son 19 found a group of singles to hang with, and go to disco with. We ate at five different restaurants and found them to be just ok. The pool was nice and warm and clean. I do feel they should have more bartenders at the swim up bar. We did wait a quite a while to get a drink. I also don't believe the air conditioning in the room worked very well. We also found most of the restaurants to be uncomfortably warm. I've been to many beaches in my travels,and would have to say this beach is the most beautiful. Lots of chairs in pool area, and in beach. Great place to do as little or as much as you want.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank lindamarie1226

Dear guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial staff involved in your entire satisfaction.
Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We travelled spring break with kids and parents. It is a LARGE resort with lots of walking to get to the buffets, pool, beach etc. I would not suggest going with those who can't walk far. The beach is beautiful, the grounds and pool are well kept. Rooms are average but clean. I am not one to complain about little things like fridge temp, thickness of towels, air conditioning etc. Those are just things you have to deal with when you leave the USA. I have been many places and I would go back here for sure. The food was good, yes you have to make reservations for the other restaurants but the buffet is fine. Every night they change it up a bit with a theme and if you don't choose the same items each day, there is a huge variety. For those who are picky or uncreative, the buffet would be boring. The seafood restaurant was the BEST. Lobster tail was huge and tasty. Beach volleyball was a favorite of ours. You could always get a beach or pool chair and exchange towels, no problem. It is an hour from the airport. We took a cab to Playa Del Carmen and it was worth it for the evening. 15 min and $6 per person, they even waited for us for a few hours. Drinks were fine, bar service slow, loved the snacks in the lobby bar at Colonial. We took 2 excursions and both were equally worth it. Dolphin swimming and Tulum. Both included great lunches. For all inclusive, I think this was a winner!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KansasGreekgirl

Dear guest,
It is a pleasure for Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel to review your kindly comments with the staff involved in your entire satisfaction.
Thank you very much for visiting this paradise and we hope to see you again in a near future!!

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived around 8pm after a long day travelling from Scotland check in was so easy. We got cocktails on arrival served by a waitress pretty excited by the fact we were from Scotland so was a lovely welcome. We were shown to our rooms followed by our luggage and shown the mini bar etc to make sure we knew everything was included. We are a family of 4 so had two rooms on the same floor which were both spectacularly clean and the quiet air conditioning kept it nice and cold for us. We were staying for 3 weeks so got into the schedule of getting up before 10 which resulted in our rooms being cleaned and mini fridge being restocked by early afternoon, incase you needed a nap (after some cocktails at the bar).

The pools were HUGE compared to any resort we have stayed at before and extremely clean. The water was warm no matter what time of day even though as scots we hoped for some sort of cold water (we just had to drink more cocktails). The whole resort was beautiful the pictures do not do it justice. You can not beat getting up to walk along the Caribbean, taking a swim and going back to the pool for some water aerobics! The staff by the pools were so inviting of course because we were there for 3 weeks we got to know the staff but they would help anyone. The pool bar was a welcoming paradise after the water aerobics or even during to water everyone else. There was never ever a long queue the staff would serve everyone ASAP. Once you were hungry the snack restaurants by the pools were amazing!! Drinking a cocktail while eating lunch and looking over the Caribbean everything was beautiful!!

The food at the buffet in the evening was also delicious!! Every night during the week there was a different theme from Italian to seafood. Every night there was some to choose even for picky eaters! Of course there are the restaurants as well where I would say the steakhouse was my favourite because of flavour and service. All the restaurants we visited were amazing including the Mexican, steakhouse and Italian.

When we were there the World Cup was on and it was an exciting atmosphere! For a more relaxed night you may wish to visit the tropical bar or for a formal night the colonial bar. The entertainment in the theatre every night is do different they have some incredible singers!! And the audience participate shows are as good as you want to make them!

One of the main things to visit whilst your In the area is coco bongo in playa del Carmen which you can book through the hotel. It is a brilliant night out and worth every penny!!

The main complaint I have read is wifi... Which I agree should be included but really if your on holiday you should try your best to live without it!

I loved this holiday, I loved this country and I just loved everything about the whole experience!!! I'd happily answer questions about the resort :)

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Nicole P

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for visiting this paradise and we hope to see you again in a near future.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We spend 7 days at the Barcelo Colonial Premium and it was a great experience , this was a second stay for me and it was better than last year, still there's manor details to get better but overall they do a great job, the check in by Noelia was fantastic she was very professional and polite , we stay at the Guanajuato and the room was very clean and always stocked with beer and water. The beach as always is the best feature there plus the people who work tireless to make you stay happy. Two thumbs up Barcelo :)

Stayed: July 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing the experience of your stay at our hotel in Tripadvisor network. We are pleased that we have met your expectations regarding our services. Let us comment that Noelia and the rest of the staff will be very happy to host you again!
We hope to see you soon at Barceló Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel!
Best regards!