“Returned Trip after 6 years”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Travelled Aug 10 to 17th 2014.

We have visited this resort five times previously and decided to go back after six years away to celebrate our 26th anniversary. We chose the Colonial as it has always been wonderful and we have never had issues in the past. We had upgraded to club premium so we had access to premium lounge with premium brands, free internet in room, robes/slippers, and most a la cart restaurants within the resort every day. Check in was fast and efficient. Our room was ocean facing on second floor so saw more of the kid pool than the ocean but was fine with us. We never saw the robe or slippers during our stay. It was a surprise when the hotel gave us champagne 3 days in a row with pastry or fruit plates to go with it. These dishes were amazing! After the third day we received a bottle of Barceló brand tequila and D'Aristi liquor which was really unexpected.

The room was always cleaned before noon and beer fridge stocked with plenty of water and beer. No complaints here.

Only negative of the stay was having to sign a paper with room number and bracelet id for every premium drink we requested at the pool bar or lounges. We did not go on vacation to do paperwork. There must be a better way to track inventory of premium brands if that is what the hotel is doing, e.g. it the traveller has a club premium bracelet don’t harass with paperwork, if they don’t have a club premium bracelet do the paperwork to charge the room.

Traveler Tip: expensive to buy sunscreen etc. the prices are very high so make sure you bring enough to last for your entire stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joanne M
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear guest,
It is a pleasure for Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel to review your kindly comments with the staff involved in your entire satisfaction.
Thank you very much for visiting this paradise and we hope to see you again in a near future.
Best regards,

Reviewed 31 August 2014

This was the second time we went to the Barcelo Maya Colonial.
I usually do not write reviews, but this time it was too much.
As a return guest you would expect some consideration, in this resort you don't get it. I called them in advance as my wife is a handicap and required special accommodation. Upon arrival we found out that we would've been better off not calling in advance. We received exactly opposite from what we asked for. No correction was offered, and we had to stay what was given.
We are a regular traveler to the area, for the last 14 years and usually the resorts try to welcome you and offer you extras as a return guest. This resort does not do that, this resort also feels that they do not have to upgrade themselves, as nothing change for the last eight years. Opposite it actually gone down. If I would've rated this resort as a 4 1/2 star resort eight years ago I will not give the more than 3 this time. Classic example, the TV in the room is a 27 inch CRT and the facilities didn't change either.
We visited the resort in April, when the US graduate classes show up as groups.
This resort feels that those are the best clientele they should have.
Those teenagers run around half drunk, noisy disturbing and annoying. If you want to rest around the pool forget it. If you want to enjoy the piano bar, good luck.
I will never go back again and definitely would not recommend it, to any of my friends.

Room Tip: From my experience they will not accommodate you anyway
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,
Barcelo Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel works for the total satisfaction of our customers and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay.
We hope to see you soon in our establishment and to offer the real service of Barcelo.
Best regards

Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Barcelo is a great all-inclusive resort close to numerous tourist attractions such as: Tulum, Xel Ha, and Xcaret. It's about an hour from Cancun airport. The service and friendly staff make this resort a four star. I would definitely recommend this resort

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank krivera1007

Dear guest,
It is a pleasure for Barcelo Maya Colonial & Tropical Hotel to review your kindly comments with the staff involved in your entire satisfaction.
Best regards,

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Booked on Barcelo website (so easy).
The staff was amazing. Always welcome with a smile and special attentions
They even extended their courtesy to the point of speaking with us in French (they noticed we were from Montreal).

They are reconstructing part of the resort (Caribe). Seeing the results in the Beach section of the complex, I know where I'll book next time.

Suggestions : A la carte restaurants must be rethought. Something is wrong when the international buffet is better than the specialty restaurants. The resort crédits would be more attracting if they were applied the same way they do at the Moon Palace Golf and Spa resort.

The beach, coral reefs, marine wildlife and the overall tranquility of this resort contribute to put it on the top spot of my personal list.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing the experience of your stay at our hotel in Tripadvisor network. We are pleased that we have met your expectations regarding our services.
Your recommendations have been analyzed with our Executive Chef; We are sure that the staff will be very pleased to welcome you again.
We hope to see you soon at Barceló Maya Beach Resort!
Best regards!

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I just love Mexico! My second visit to Mexico, but different hotel.

Nine adults. We traveled July 29th - August 5th.

Transportation: We booked a share bus transportation. The bus ride was roughly 1hr and 15mins. We were so tired and just wanted to arrive to the resort.

Check-in: When were arrived to the resort there was no line. Our check-in was pretty smooth. Welcome drinks were offered to us. However, my sister had a different experience. Her check in process was slow and she was not offered the welcome drink - and her room was not ready. She arrived two hours before us.

Ground: The grounds are well kept. Clean! The property is huge! There are animals in the resorts. The animals are harmless. My sisters and I are city girls so we were scared LOL!

Room: Decent room. Nothing that made me say WOW. Flat screen t.v., refrigerator (restocked daily with soda, water, beer, and peanuts). The bed and the pillows (the pillows are very high too) are extremely hard. The bed caused me lower back pain. iPod/iPhone dock in the room - that was a plus! The rooms are cleaned late in the afternoon.

Food: The food was okay. Yes I am extremely picky, but I made the best of it. Buffet style for breakfast, lunch, and dinner - restaurants are available, but reservations are a must. Breakfast eggs, pancakes, sausages, salad etc. Lunch - pasta, burgers, hot dogs, salad etc. Dinner different theme every night at the buffet. Breakfast and lunch were the best. I really didn't like the dinner buffet. The food tasted blah. Thankfully we only ate dinner at the buffet once. We dined at the Steakhouse, Seafood, Japanese and Italian restaurants. Our favorite was the Japanese restaurant. The food was a little salty. We had a little incident at the seafood restaurant. We had dinner reservations for 10 PM. Five of us were running late - so the other four went ahead. The hostess and manager were very rude and unwelcoming. The hostess welcomed us by stating "the kitchen closes in five mins." If the kitchen closed at 10:15 PM why give reservations for 10 PM makes no sense! We reported it to management and were given dinner reservations at the Italian restaurant.

Drinks: The drinks are water down! Just order straight tequila and you will be good to go!

Service: Slow, slow and slow. Maybe it's because I'm from New York City and everything is fast pace, but jeez!!! Please move a little faster! Check out was a nightmare! Long line and only two people were at the front desk! If the line has more than five people you should more staff at the front desk! It's vacation time! Time is limited.

Beach and Pools: The pools were great! There are two swim up pools. One by the "loud pool" and one by the quiet pool. Nothing loud about "loud pool" music is hardly played. The beach was simply amazing!!! Beautiful clear blue water, but salty. Be careful with the rocks. There are enough beach and pool chairs to go around.

Entertainment: Hardly any entertainment. There were some activities - dance lessons, bingo and water aerobics. My sisters and I really enjoyed bingo! Those that won received gifts. We didn't see the nightly shows because we couldn't find them. The main theater was under construction. I was a little disappointed.

Disco: There is a disco. We went every night lol. The music was okay. All type of music was played! We made the best of it.

Excursions: We booked our excursions with our Cheap Caribbean representative - Andres! He was simply amazing! We booked three excursions. They were all amazing! Swimming with the turtles was an awesome experience. WOW! Of course, we went to chichen-itza. Beautiful and a lot of culture. It's a must do in Mexico! It was extremely hot! I mean it is Mexico.

Check- Out: Complete nightmare! More staff at the first desk during check-in and check-out will be wonderful!

Until next time Mexico!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank babs_travels_nyc
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear guest,
We regret you have had problems during your stay. During the check in and check out process we have an schedule of 12 pm for check out and 15:00 hours for check in. Also we will review your kindly comments with the people in charge of the Restaurants and our Executive Chef. Your comments will help us to continue working on our commitment to continuous improvement and quality standards.

We hope to see you soon in our establishment and thank you for a great review.
Best regards

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Vacation time 8/7 - 8/11/14
This was a family vacation that was planned for at least 5 months in advance. I was traveling with my 2 children (11 & 12), my mother (76), my sister and her 2 children (twin 15 yr olds). We chose this resort because we had stayed here the summer before, we loved it so much we decided to bring our children.
We requested to be in the Jalisco building closes to the pool and have all of the 3 rooms next to each other. At check in we each had a different person helping us, my gentlemen was not very friendly or helpful. When I asked him to make sure our rooms were close together he said it won't matter because you won't be in your rooms much.
We got checked in, my room was 6146, mothers was 6117, sisters was 6114. We unpacked and went tot the pool. We were disappointed that my room wasn't closer to theirs but we we ok with that. When it was time for bed and I got in between my sheets I realized that our sheets were damp, like so damp they were cold and smelled like soured, musty towels. I called moms room hers was the same, sisters was fine. My son went down to my sisters room to sleep, my daughter cried and wanted to go home! I called the front desk and they said housekeeping would bring us clean sheets. This is at 11pm at night and all we wanted to do was sleep, we had been traveling all day! We layer in between the 2 flat sheets that HK brought us and within min, they to were damp too. I called again and they sent HK again. I asked if we could just go to another rooms to sleep because we were so tired but they said they were 100% full. Finally my daughter and I put on robes and got into the soured bed together and slept, but not well.
The next day I called again and said we had to move but again the said 100% full. I went to my moms room. Omg, it was way worse than mine. Her room had water on the floor and moisture dripping down the mirrors, I'm not sure how she stayed in there. The hotel sent an english speaking agent to her room and they assured us they would move us but....we needed to pack up all of our belonging and move them into my sisters room so that they could clean our room and give it to someone else. (Poor sole) so now we cannot get into our new rooms until after 3pm.
At 3 i had to walk all the way to the lobby to get our room keys, my mothers was still not ready and wasn't until 4.I was moved into room #6122, mom room #6115, now we were all next to each other, I was just across the hall. I had I to unpack us again! My mother still had to wait another hour. My room was not great but tolerable. Moms was worse that mine, it smelled of mold! Now she had to unpack. My mother is 76 and by the end this day she was to exhausted to even go to dinner with us. She didn't go the next night either because she was tired from not getting a good sleep. Needless to say this was a BIG disappointment! All the planning didn't matter because nothing turned out as planned!
Beach- it is pretty rocky and it had lots of seaweed. The color of the sea was beautiful.

Room Tip: Don't go here! Although the are updating.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank mitzi f
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2016

Dear mitzi f

We really appreciate your visit and the time taken to write your impression about your stay, Barceló Maya Colonial is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities, we will work on Housekeeping and Maintenance departments’ issues to improve them. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs and pamper you as you deserve.

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.

Warmest Regards,

La Gerencia
jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Maybe like I was you're confused at mixed reviews of this hotel.well this is my experience.Trip from airport is about an hour.Check in at reception took about 10 minutes very helpful reception staff and no pressure to upgrade. Room in the Jalisco block was large nice king size bed.Good bathroom efficient AC plus a ceiling fan.Room cleaned daily to a good standard plenty of towels provided.Fridge was topped up daily with water soft drinks and beer.I found food in buffet to be of good standard and varied.Superb desserts particularly on gala night.We also tried Santa fe steak house also good.The pool area is vast with special children's area.Beach is the very ideal of tropical paradise I wish I could have bottled it to take home.Lobby bars are open 24 hours and have snacks like popcorn peanuts fruit and olives available.Entertainment in theatre is excellent singers and dancers are of a good standard.Show my last night for instance was international divas.I found staff to be friendly and welcoming. Special mention to kind ladies in piano bar.All in all a lovely hotel that I would recommend to anyone.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joseph850
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your kindly comments which have been sent to the Barceló Maya Colonial - Tropical staff involved in your entire satisfaction.
We look forward to welcome you back soon.
Best regards!

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!