“Good resort, 4.5”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 20 March 2009

We are a family of three (46,45,14) and we were at the Barcelo from March 8th to 15th. This was our 5th trip to the carribean: Puerto Plata, Riviera Maya (Gran Bahia Principe Akumal), Punta Cana (Gran Bahia Principe Punta Cana), Jamaica (Riu Ocho Rios) and of course, Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach.

We really had a good time at this resort. The resort is very large and clean with beautiful grounds. There was a lot of decorative pools around the lobby and the restaurants. It was really nice.

STAFF:
- The staff were very nice and friendly and were always happy to help us.
- In the boutiques, they were helpfull with no pressure.

POOLS:
- There were very lovely freeform pools with animation.
- The pools were very clean. They were testing water regularly.
- Lots of lounge chairs; no need to play the towel game.
- For family with childrens under 12, there was a nice water play ground with water slides. Kids were having fun.

A LA CARTE RESTAURANTS:
- Upon arrival, we received 5 tickets for a la carte restaurants.
- You have to book the first morning because time choices are really limited.
- We only used three of our five tickets because of the late serving time after full day outdoor.
- We ate at the Italian, Mexican and Steak House. All were great with good service.

BUFFETS:
- Breakfast were great, lots of selections (omeletts stations, eggs, bacon, sausage, a good variety of fresh fruits and more...) Everything was very good.
- Lunch: We ate most of our lunches at the palmeras, close to the pool and beach. Again, good variety.
- Dinners: We ate well at dinners with a good variety but we felt that not as much variety as other resorts we went at.

DRINKS:
- The first time we travelled, the drinks were made from scratch. The last two years, like other resorts, there was a lot premix drinks. At the Barcelo, the drinks were not consistant between bars and we had hard time to get good drinks like in the past. But this is not something to ruin our vacations.

BEACH:
- Very large and nice beach with white sand. Still lot of chairs at any time of the day.
- Due to the windy conditions, we had a natural wave pool. We had a lot of fun.
- We would recommend you to bring water shoes as it was rocky by section in the water but still lots of nice sandy parts.
- Snorkelling right on the site.

ROOMS:
- They had really nice rooms with no musty odors.
- We had two regular double beds.
- Nice bathroom.
- Bar replenish everyday.
- House keeping was inconsistant with towels, almost never any face cloth but we called to the front desk and every thing was settled within a few minutes.
- Air conditionning and safe were very easy to use and worked very well.

In summary, we had a very good trip and enjoyed the Barcelo. We would certainly recommend this resort to a friend.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
8  Thank spot21
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2016

Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us.
I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Reviewed 17 March 2009

Hotel was beautiful - bit too big for my taste. However, we went assuming we were getting international drinks and were told when we got there we had to buy an upgraded bracelet ($250. each) to get certain types of drinks. They gave us a list of 3 international drinks we could get with our bracelet. Check the fine print prior, and believe me it is in definitely small print. Different bracelets made you feel like there was a class distinction between guests. Even with the additional bracelet, treatment by hotel employees was less than adequate.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank irelandborn

Reviewed 16 March 2009

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Colonial the week of March 7-14. It was absolutely wonderful. We had read the reviews beforehand and they were very accurate

Our room was extemely clean and very quiet ( we had requested a king bed, third floor ,away from the disco, pool etc). It was exactly what we had requested.

The beaches were white sand, turquoise waters. (brought water shoes and never took them out of my suitcase) absolutely stunning. ALWAYS tons of beach chairs available, no need to get up at 7:00 to reserve them. The pool area was huge and impeccably clean. Food and drinks were always plentiful. My husband loved the 'Dark Corona" and I sipped mimosas in the mornings and champagne in the evenings. The buffets and a la carte restaurants were very good (though usually the same type of food).

The grounds were absolutely stunning and very well manicured. Check in was at breeze, service was good, most of the staff very friendly and helpful. My husband and I have stayed at a fair number of 4.5 to 5 star resorts in the past but the Barcelo by far was the most enjoyable.

On tip, if you are going into Playa Del Carmen, do not hestiate to take the local bus from your resort ($1.50 as opposed to $19.00 cab fare) . I was initially concerned about taking the bus but felt completely safe (similar to a mini van) once I hopped on.

One more tip, if you take the ferry to Cozumel and you have experienced motion sickness in the past, do take some gravol with you as it can be a very rocky trip (about 30 minutes). We rented a scooter on Cozumel and drove around the island (don't pay more than $26.00 USD for the scooter) it was really easier to navigate and the rocky coast was stunning.

I hope this review was helpful. We will definately return to the Barcelo!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
14  Thank kdottawa

Dear Guest:
On behalf of our hotel, we would like to thank you for coming to Barcelo Maya Colonial hotel; we also want to thank you for your significant opinion which is very important for us to improve our services and products .

we glad you have a good time during your vacations in our hotel.

we hope to have the privilege and the honor to share with you again soon.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 14 March 2009

We are normally the adventure/backpack-travelers (spent several months through the middle east with a tent for our honeymoon) but this trip we wanted a place to relax with young kids (one 4 and the other a few months old.) When trying to plan our trip, I really appreciated other people's reviews on Trip advisor and wanted to return the favour!
We booked this particular trip due to the easy direct flights to and from Victoria and because we wanted a sunny spot with good food, pools and beach to hangout with our kids. We flew with Air Transat and had no problems with our flights or transfers or the hotel itself.
A GOOD PLACE TO TAKE KIDS! Although not nearly exclusive to families with children, this place is definately setup and caters to them! Great (bloody amazing) kid pools, (one at Colonial, other at The Palace), lots of other pools for everyone to swim in too. The kids-club was very well ran, took our son to play mini golf, go to the beach etc. They have buckets and shovels for the beach (you can borrow no problem) and plenty to do inside the club house for those 4 and over. Also there is a kids-disco in the evening which many kids enjoy, our son did the first few times but soon got bored of it. (We brought PJ's and let them fall asleep while we checked out some of the evening shows, some were quite good!) Another thing, there are lots of lizards, iguana, geko, etc on the grounds for the kids to spot.
THE HOTEL(one of a group of five at Barcelo) was very beautiful. Really well built, lots of attention to detail, beautiful grounds and buildings, fountains and statues everywhere, stunning pools and beautiful beaches full of palm trees. (One pet peeve, lots of cigarette butts on the beach but otherwise quite clean...dang smokers!)
THE ROOM was very clean, well maintained, they cleaned it everyday, always new towels if we needed, air-con worked nicely, refilled mini-bar everytime, nothing stolen (we used the safe for everything we worried about, big enough for large camera or small laptop) shampoo and soap onsite, tv with some english (our son hapily watched Spanish cartoons too)...couldn't ask for more! Also there was elevators, great for strollers! (most family's seemed to use strollers for their small kiddies)
THE FOOD at the buffet was overwhelming! So much to choose from! As far as a buffet goes, this place was over the top. Lots of juices, smoothies, meat, fruit, veggies, steaks, omelettes in the morn, ice cream, pancakes, waffles, fries, breads...very very good. We also checked out the Ala Carte Restaurants. (One has to keep in mind that he/she is in Mexico and it is in many ways quite preposterous to expect young, underpaid mexicans to turn out food from western cultures such 'Italian' with any real athenticity!!) That said, the food at the Italian and the Oriental restaurants were quite good. My wife and I like to eat at really nice restaurants when we go out so I couldn't say any of these were a 9 or a 10. I rated the Seafood as a 5, (not great food, got sick next day and suspected it was the appetizer) The Italian was an 8 (wood-oven pizzas, great lamb) The Steakhouse was a 7, (sorta like the Keg back home, good but not great) and the Oriental was again an 8 (we even had sushi, not bad! And the show was fun for our son, quite a laugh!) The service was good/great at all except the Steakhouse, had to ask for our drinks 3 times. (No big deal really, just kinda frustrating)
BARS/BEACH RESTAURANTS...we didn't go to all the bars so can't say alot. We went to the bars at the beach which did seem to be understaffed at times. Also the swim-up bars were not in use most of the time. There were self serve bars in the lunch-buffet which is very near the pools/beach which we used for basic things like beers/wine/juice/pop etc. Also had kid-friendly things there such as self serve icecream that kids can reach themselves.
THE BEACH was great, lots of white sand and turquoise water! Plenty of beach lounges to sit on, some rocky spots when going into water...bring water shoes for kids especially. The wharf was fun to see loads of fish and swim with them. We got a bit of a scare when I first jumped in as suddenly people were yelling 'SHARK!!!' and I was kinda sh@**ing myself as I was the only one in the water. It turned out to be a 4 1/2 foot massive Barracuda! But, he was more or less harmless and went away soon enough, just took off the wedding-ring to make sure he didn't have my finger as a snack!
PLACES TO GO/SEE: We didn't do any tours as we hate that sort of thing, but went to Tulum by ourselves on the 'Collectivo' Bus up on the highway, cost 5$ for all of us one way. We also took the same kind of transport to Playa, easy and painless...walked around and did some shopping. That was as much as we wanted to do with the kids! We skipped all the other big package tours and locations... We only had a week and wanted to relax, not cart around our babies!
OVERALL....Some people complain no matter what they get! Alot of how happy one is with a place (or anything for that matter) depends on how one looks at things. For example: Our room was a good walk to go to the buffet (some might whine) but we looked at it as a good walk for our son to burn off steam (before he was expected sit and be quiet!) and we enjoyed the gardens along the covered promenades! Really, we thought this place was great in nearly every way. I will point out though that I had never stayed at an all-inclusive so I cannot compare to other resorts. But, a guy I met from Toronto said he had been to many many places over the years and he gave this place a high rating also. Also met quite a few people who were returning for 2nd or 3rd times. You won't be dissapointed here.

Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
15  Thank madeintheshade

Reviewed 13 March 2009

We arrived in early evening and our room air conditioner did not work they worked on it till 3 in the morning with their ladders in our ceiling till I got good and mad and said move us...we were moved at 5am to another room and when the manager opend the door it had some bad oder the room beside it had the same gawd aful bad oder. He then proceded to tell us a Toronto family who had been down for a wedding, had been murdered in the suite. He moved us to another buidling we stayed there for 1 night because the fridge did not work nor did the safety deposit box. It was one thing after another with the rooms. They also lacked staff in tidying up the rooms along with no fridge refills and bathroom supplies. We never did get our ala cartes' all week because we couldn't get a reservation. The reservations come from all 3 hotels. We took our bags to our room upon arrival and departure. Front desk service was very rude, and unhelpful. The children's indoor play center is not for any kid over 6yrs. The pool was good nice design in the kids area. We travelled with air transat holidays and they had no connection/communication with the hotel what so ever, so any concerns we had we were told go back and talk with the manager of the hotel. Air transat reps were more interested in selling us packages to the different destinations, as they of course work on a very good commission. We have since stayed at the Bahi Principe resort for 2 weeks it was like night and day unbelievable awesome vacation everything was 5 star people food location accomodation beach pools on site transportation everyting you could immagine was right there with no hassle. It make a huge difference in your trip when the entire staff of the resort enjoy working and accomodating the guest.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
6  Thank thetwobuds

Dear Guest:

Firstly, we want to thank you for staying at Barceló Maya Colonial. Secondly, we also want to thank you for your significant comment which is very important for us to improve our amenities.

Thirdly, we also want to apologize for any inconvenience that you have had during your stay with us. Our hotel is working hard and putting its best effort to improve the services and products to accomplish customer’s satisfaction.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 10 March 2009

My hubby and I recently tied the knot at the Barcelo Colonial and were absolutely thrilled with the property. If you are thinking of having a destination wedding at this hotel (or at any of the sister hotels), you will be in good hands with the Barcelo's team of coordinators.

Our coordinator was Xhail–she is quick, to-the-point and good at what she does. Like the rest of the coordinators, she is extremely busy. We did not get much one-on-one time with our coordinator, but honestly, we didn't need much. We planned most of the wedding the day after our arrival in about 2 hours. I didn't see Xhail again until she picked me up at the hotel on the day of the wedding. This was a perfect fit for me as I was in PARADISE and did not want to waste my whole vacation planning!

Moving on: while there were a number of things that did not go "perfectly," our overall wedding experience was phenomenal. The setting, the flowers, the music, the staff, the minister/judge were all wonderful. If you are planning a wedding on this property, I highly recommend hiring the mariachi band. We hired them for our cocktail party on the night before the wedding; it was LOADS of fun and a great meet-n-greet arrangement for our family and friends (we even limboed).

As my mom Cathy mentioned in her review, we did have some small things go awry: our timing got mussed up, our seating arrangement was thrown to the wayside, our location was changed at the last minute, etc. But as the bride, I can honestly say that none of these things detracted from our big day. In fact, a lot of the last minute changes worked out for the best.

In summation: we were really impressed with how easy the Barcelo made things on us! I really cannot say enough good things about the attentiveness of the staff, particularly Rodrigo.

Oh and my Mom's comments about the resort are pretty spot-on. It's huge, pristinely manicured and there is a TON to do both at the resort and nearby. Perfect for a group vacation or wedding or families with kids. Like all AI resorts, food gets old towards the end of the week and drinks are low quality. Younger crowd: take a night or two away from the complex and visit Playa del Carmen's downtown. Really cool vibe, very happenin' and worth the $20 cab fare.

If any future brides have questions about anything related to this resort, please contact me for more information/details.

• Stayed: February 2009
9  Thank MadtownGirl84

Reviewed 10 March 2009

This was my first stay at a Barcelo resort and it was also my first 5 star resort. I think my expectaions for a 5 star were set too high. The Barcelo May Colonial Beach resort was absolutly beautiful. The grounds were spectacular. The beach was beautiful (not a nice as the one right beside it though.) The rooms were spacious and very clean.Unfortunatley the fridge wasn't always stocked , and they forgot to replace the coffee on several occasions. We had booked a king sized bed, but got two double beds. The one matress was very bad. When we complained about it they did add some padding to it which made it better. The rooms weren't very insulated, you could hear what was going on in the next room or out in the hall.
The food at the buffett was unforgettable. Every day there was something new. Even a lobster night. I seldom book the ala cartes but other guests at the resort were raving about the Japanees so much I decided to try it. It was a dinning experience that was unforgetable, and the food was great too.
At the resort you could use the facilities from three other Barcelo resorts . Most of the bars were understaffed.
I felt there was also a language barrier. We asked simple questions, like what was the weather going to be like for the day. They didn't understand.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple

Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!