“Avoid the young drunks and enjoy!!”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Waterloo, Canada
“Avoid the young drunks and enjoy!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2009

Firstly, this was our third trip to the BM, the Beach in '05, Tropical in '06 and now Colonial. We do not expect much pampering on vacation and are usually very patient with staff and sometimes other guests.

We did send out our room request for 3rd floor Jalisco building with King Bed and got 2nd floor Jalisco building with two twins!! With how busy it still was we accepted what we received. The room was cleaned daily but we did have trouble with a couple stinky pillows (B.O.) that we thought would be taken care of after we pulled them from the cases and left them on the chair. We did bring a room spray of our own that partially cured the problem.
Weird thing happened on the second to last day, I think the maid ran out of time or was pulled somewhere else. When we returned after our day the sheets were still a mess and the daily $2 I would leave on the table between the beds was placed on one of our pillows like they didn't feel they deserved it.....not sure what happened there.

Our room fridge was stocked daily and a few days we were given 5 bags of chips after he knew we liked them.

As with every other year, the grounds are meticulous. I sometimes think it is the landscapers that deserve some of all that tip money.
We did not eat at any A La Cartes simply because we get everything we need at the buffet including lobster on two different evenings. Also, my wife has Celiac disease so being able to see the food up front is a great benefit.
The breakfast omelette is a great start to the day and I am now going through bacon withdrawal too!!
After dinner, I would enjoy my Kahlua in the chairs outside the buffet's and watch the staff through the glass. It looks like a bee hive in there the way the staff is getting drinks, making tables, cleaning up plates!!!

As for the pools, it was busy and not our usual time of early February so the towel game was going strong. Because we are only a couple we had no problem finding a suitable place in the sun after arriving at the pools by 10 or 10:30.
It was probably much busier around the pools because after Monday, the rest of the week was windy and the red flag was out!! I was not impressed since we had brought our own snorkel gear down with us to see the expanded snorkel areas by the Palace but what can you do. We made sure we took a couple walks a day end to end of the resort. I find a Rum Punch lasts just long enough for a one way trip and then refill to go back. Lol!

After walking up and around the Palace, we were kind of glad we didn't spend the extra $ on it. I think those guests are getting hosed as there is: very little beach area, only one tennis court per that many guests and it's the Palace!!!! They should have their own set of watersport equipment. It is quite a walk to want to take out a watertrike that badly. Just our observation.

We are quite glad we only had a couple days left after a few high school classes arrived for their break. I thought we were going to miss all that. We had the misfortune of overindulgent kids throwing up, being rude to bar staff, tossing their empty Modelo cans in the gardens and generally being disrespectful.
Heck, we even saw that someone must have had a good time at the tennis court upon our early morning arrival judging by the empty Trojan package on the ground. Get a room people!!!

To sum it all up, we did have a good time. We met some nice people, and the Barcelo did once again not dissapoint us. We have decided that although this has been our go-to resort for awhile, we need to check out some other spots in the area. We really don't have anything to measure the Barcelo against in the RM. I am sure we will be back, it just might take some time.

6 Thank Steelrman70
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 5 October 2016
Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us.
I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kimberley, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2009

Been to the Mayan twice now with my partner. Our experience at Colonial was not what we expected as the service was crap, the booze was gross, there were not enough staff, and the food was disgusting except for the Steak House. We had 5 a la cartes and we only like the steak house and the japanese. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone between the ages of 25-35 as there was no one there our age (26 and 29). I would recommend this place for family vacations, but not for more than a week as the food gets very tiresome after 3 days. Overall, I would not return.

2 Thank ballgirl82
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for share with us your opinion in reference to your stay in our hotel, please receive our sincerely apologize if we caused you some discomfort, we are taking your comments with special consideration.
The service flaw that you mentioned was shared with our staff involved be sure that all the measure will be taken in order to correct each of the them.

Best Regards.
Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com
North Bay, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2009

Traveled to Barcelo Maya Colonial, 28 Mar - 04 Apr 2009. Air Transat flt out of Toronto went mechanical (faulty brakes) and was delayed by 4 hours. As compensation for the delay we were all given free head sets on the plane ($2 value) - not a great way to start a holiday! Arrival in Cancun went smoothly. Transfer to the hotel took 2 hours - would highly recommend a private transfer so you can get your vacation started sooner. You could buy Corona on the bus for $3/can.

The resort itself is HUGE!!! The lobby is open-air and the grounds are immaculate. It's a very scenic and lush resort. The walkways from the buildings to the restaurants and lobby are all covered. The rooms are a good size. We stayed in room 6213 in the Jalisco bldg. We emailed our requests a few days in advance and received confirmation back the very next day. Our room came with a fruit basket and bottle of tequila. We did have an issue with housekeeping - it was non-existent for the first 2 days we were there. After a phone call to the front desk, someone finally arrived. We found that we had to tip to ensure housekeeping kept coming back each day. We also lost power to our room on 3 different occasions. Each time it didn't last any longer than maybe 10 mins; however, when it kicked back on you had to reset the air conditioning, clock, etc. Our king-size bed was the most comfortable we've stay in while in Mexico (pillow-top mattresses). Bring your own face cloths. Only received 2 during the entire week. Mini-bar was stocked daily with juice boxes, beer, variety of pop, water, peanuts, chocolate and chips each day.

The main buffet restaurant had a good selection for breakfast: made to order omelet's (4 separate stations available), pancakes/waffles, fresh fruit, variety of cold cuts, hot breakfast sausages/bacon and pastries. We ate most of our lunches down at the Mariachi grill; however, the menu doesn't change from day to day. Burgers, pizza, quesadias, salad, rice, self-serve soft ice cream. The a la carte restaurants vary. Our favorites in order included: Teppanyaki, Italian, Steak, Mexican and then Seafood. The show at the Teppanyaki was excellent. The food at the Italian was some of the best we had all week. The food at the Mexican was good; however, the Mariachi band was way too loud. This restaurant is also open-air so it can get quite windy since it's close to the ocean. The lobster at the Seafood restaurant would have bounced had I dropped it on the floor. Overall, food was plentiful and you could always find something to eat.

Space around the pool and beach was in abundance. The 'towel game' is still being played; however, you can find chairs at any time of day by the pool or beach. There is plenty of space to spread out.

We didn't have any complaints about the drinks. Never had to ask them to add alcohol at any time. We did our research ahead of time and knew what to ask for. The lobby bar makes the best drinks on the resort. One disappointment was that there was no pool service for drinks. You had to go to the bar and get your own drinks each time. Also, the swim-up bar was hit and miss as to whether anyone was there to serve drinks. Also, one time my husband was told he would have to pay extra for Beef Eater gin even though we were Prestige Class which is suppose to entitle you to premium liquor.

The resort advertises "internal transportation" through the resort which is a bit misleading. The shuttle service is from the front lobby of one Barcelo resort to the next. The shuttle doesn't go into any of the resorts. On one occasion we took the shuttle so we could get an idea of what the other resorts looked like. The shuttle got as far as the Maya Beach resort and broke down. Everyone on the shuttle had to get off and walk back to their resort. So for those with accessibility issues, you may find this resort a bit much. Because everything is so spread out there is alot of walking involved. I know people have commented, "If you're lazy you'll complain" about all the walking. If you have mobility problems, it isn't a matter of being lazy. The added distance will add fatigue during the day. Also, the tile floors in the walkways are a bit slippery if you use a cane and none of the stair cases have hand rails. On a positive note, the pools do have hand rails in various areas making getting in and out of the pool a bit easier. You can rent a golf card at a cost of $85/day US.

There are many activities available for people to partake in. We played the mini-putt and pitch n' putt daily. The mini-putt is well shaded and we never had any issue with bugs. They will charge you $2 if you lose your ball. We brought our own to avoid the hassle.

The evening shows were some of the best we've seen in Mexico. The theatre is open-air and very large. There is always something going on in the Mexicana Plaza. They are many shops that are fun to browse through in the evening. Three times per week local artists are invited to set up in the plaza to show off their talent. You can pick up some nice artwork to take home. The shops in the Mexicana Plaza are independent from the resort. Their prices and exchange rate are lower than the shops directly off the lobby. When you make purchases in the lobby shops your options for payment are credit or charge to room. They do not accept cash. Also the exchange rate is 14.13%.

Overall the resort offers good value for the price. Let's be honest, we all really pay for 7 days of sun shine and to get away from snow for a short period of time. Everything else is just a bonus. Go to the Barcelo Maya Colonial with an open mind and prepare to get some exercise.

5 Thank Magentis
Dear Guest:
On behalf of our hotel, we would like to thank you for coming to Barcelo Maya Colonial hotel; we also want to thank you for your significant opinion which is very important for us to improve our services and products .

we glad you have a good time during your vacations in our hotel.

we hope to have the privilege and the honor to share with you again soon.

Best Regards.
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2009

We stayed from March 26th to April 1st. Arrival at Cancun airport wasn't bad. Immigration wait took maybe 15 minutes, got baggage right away, exchanged some money, and headed outside to find our transfer. We travelled with Apple Vacations and had arranged a private transfer in advance. Our private van pulled up within 5 minutes and we were on our way. It only took 1 hour from the airport to the Barcelo. My sister arrived 3 days later and took the transfer that came with her package thru Airtransat and it took then 3.5 hours!! The private transfer is worth the extra money!
Our room was ready on arrival (2:15pm) so we dropped off our stuff and locked up our valuables and went back to book our dinners. We only ended up taking advantage of 2 of our dinners - the steak place, which was good, but not great, and the italian restaurant, which we all really liked. My sister and her husband did the japanese restaurant and absolutely loved it! The main buffet wasn't bad. There is definetly something for everyone. I have to be honest though, after 5 days, I was getting tired of the food. The grill by the pool which also doubles as the mexican restaurant at night, is OK for lunch if you don't feel like walking back to the buffet. The food at the grill doesn't seem to change from day to day though. The buffet had a different theme every night so there was a bit of variety. As others have said, the ice cream at the buffet is quite good! We never had to wait for a table at the buffet. They seat you as soon as you walk in and away you go. The breakfast buffets were my favorite - the fresh churos were really good! The coffee was perfect and they made excellent cappaccinos!
Our room was very nice. We found the king size bed quite comfortable - I slept like a baby every night. Our room was cleaned every day and we had turn down service most nights. Our fridge was stocked daily, but unfortunately our fridge would not stay cold. We did call someone about it the day we arrived - a young man came and looked at it and said "one minute' and we never saw him again. All I cared was that I had clean drinking water and they restocked it daily. There are quite a few channels available on the tv's in the rooms, including several english channels. Plenty of toiletries in room if you forgot anything, plus blow dryer and ironing board and iron. There is a clothes line on the balcony to hang wet stuff on as well.
The pools were wonderful! I've read other reviews where people said there was no need to play 'the towel game'. Not so when we were there! Our first morning we were shocked to walk out there at 9am and there wasn't a chair to be had! Of course there were no people in the chairs, just towels! We got lucky when someone came out and removed their towels from a few chairs. We played the towel game too after that day. I think it just depends on how busy the resort is because it seemed to not be as busy on our 3rd day there. We would have layed on the beach but I think 4 of our 6 days were red flag days and it was very windy at the beach! The beach however is gorgeous! Always chairs available on the beach and the water access is great in front of the Colonial. The Palace beach is horrible!!! I was shocked at how pathetic their beach was. We only spent one day on the beach and were happy to be laying by the pool the rest of the time.
My husband did take advantage of a free wind surfing lesson. The water sports area is in front of the Beach/Caribe area so it's a bit of a walk down the beach - not really far, but far enough. Everytime we walked by the Beach/Caribe pools, there was loud music playing or someone talking on a microphone. There was none of that at the Colonial. It was very relaxing, even with the kids area. There were no spring breakers that I could see while we were there. Pool side bar service was a little slow.
The lobby bar was nice - good place to meet for a drink. The Havana Lounge/Club in the Tropical lobby is a nice little cigar bar. You can sit our on rocking chairs overlooking one of the water fountains. We went to two of the shows at the Theatre. They were about what I expected for resort entertainment.
The shopping plaza was nice, but everything is over priced. There is an internet cafe in one of the shops that is a little bit cheaper than the one in the hotel itself. My sister did tell me that she and her husband used the internet cafe next to the lobby bar several times and were only charged once because the girl working there was talking on the phone and wasn't paying attention. Wifi works in the convention center - plenty of comfy chairs to sit in and use your lap top/iphone.
The grounds/gardens were absolutely beautiful! We saw several iguanas! If you like to walk, you will like this resort. Bring at least one comfortable pair of shoes - I hadn't worn any of my sandals since last year and my feet were killing me most of the time. I wish I would have brought at least one pair of sneakers, if only to take walks in.
Excursions - we did not do any of the excursions advertised. Instead we rented a car from the resort (they have their own rental car counter or you can rent it from the guest services lady in the lobby). We drove to Chichen Itza one day, stopped in Valladolid on the way back for lunch, and also at the Coba Ruins (rent the bikes-you'll thank me). It was a busy day but we made it back by 6pm. Driving was easy and we took the 'free' roads, not the toll. When I read that it would be hot at Chichen Itza, I had no idea it would be THAT HOT! It gets beyond hot there, and there is next to no shade. Go early! We arrived just after 10am and it was already sweltering. Also took a taxi one day to Playa del Carmen to walk around and have lunch.
All in all, the Barcelo Maya Colonial was great! I would definetely recommend it.

2 Thank cdnlm

calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2009

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Colonial from March 8th to March 16th with a group of five of us and it was amazing. We will defintely be going back. We booked with Air Transit and even though the flight down and back was pretty cramped the amenities that you received with booking with them was worth it at the Hotel.

RESTAURANTS:

We received 5 al carte reservations that we were able to book all at once, so you didn't really even need to go to the buffet if you didn't want to. However the food at the buffet was very good. Our favorite al carte was the Japanese, but the Steakhouse, Seafood, and Italian were just as good. Overall the food was wonderful and would suit any appetite.

SIZE OF HOTEL

The hotel is quite large, but at every turn there is something new and different so it really didn't seem like you were walking a great distance. They did offer shuttles if you were so inclined, but the walk was nice.

ROOMS

The rooms were very nice and clean with everything you need in them. We used the safe daily, no charge if you book with Air Transit. We had no problems at all the maid and beer dudes were very prompt.

POOLS

Our favorite part of the trip were the pools, you can go to a different pool each day, they all offered something unique. The self serve beer bar was great. We heard there was also a self serve margaretta bar, but we didn't see it.

ENTERTAINMENT

We went to a few of the shows. The dancers are in really good shape and they put on a great show. During the day they try and get you to get in the action with Salsa lessons, or whatever dance they were doing. It was a lot of fun to watch.

NIGHTLIFE

We went to the disco one evening, but it was very hot in there and a little hard to breath with the smoke machines going off, but those that were in their didn't seem to mind.

If you are looking for a fun, relaxing vacation and want to be pampered go to the Barcelo, but if you are looking for a great party time, I would suggest going to Cancun, as the night life at the Barcelo is quite quiet. Have no hesitation in booking this hotel, I would recommend it highly.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends

Newcastle, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2009

Just got back and want to return! I will start by saying our family has gone to Mexico 5 years in a row, and our rule was to try something different every year. Well, were going back here! Yes the travel day down can be exhausting and check in dragged out but REALLY you know thats going to be the case! Or your kidding yourself! We flew airtransat with two children 5 and 3. The flight arrived on time and the travel to the resort is NO more then 1 hour and 15 minutes. They say 2 but it is not (85km from airport to resort). The time is passed with the excitement your almost there, and a few Corona's served by your host. Bus is air conditioned and has a bathroom so just relax!

Check-In: Your arriving at a hotel that is near or at full occupancy and there's a reason for it ...its BEAUTIFUL. So if your arriving early...how is your room possibly going to be ready if check out is NOON. and it takes a good hour to clean a room? So dont expect it! Pack a separate bag and head to the Beach/Pool/ Buffet/ or Bar! They give you a wrist band so everything is at your disposal. Use the map of the resort they give you and this massive resort will quickly become smaller. We found short cuts during our stay and it was no problem.

Pools: WOW!!!!!! Temperature Perfect! Water Park WOW WOW! Never too busy and kids just loved it! Ankle to Calf deep water (Warm). Bring water shoes for the kids for better grip around the slides, but really not too slippery! If you like a beverage around the kids water park...bring a inulated mug! There's no bar service around the pool's. Yes the Swim up Bars can be slow ...BUT heres a tip! The pool at the Tropical side has the music and lil more action and there's better service because they know they are busy! The colonial side...how can you blame them for 1 server when half the time no one is there. Then they get a rush of 8 people and they complain??? Again...Relax!!!

Water Park / Pool/ Beach proximity to each other is a stone's throw!! Excellent!

Beach: Sand is great for children and the feet! Beach area directly in front of Tropical is great! Shallow entry and can walk waist deep with tropical fish around you on a calm day! Yes there's some rocky areas closer to Colonial side but just look where everyone is and go there! This isnt wasaga! Plenty of chairs!! Drag them anywhere you like...you will be happy! Again, No bar service so bring your mugs!!! Yes, water shoes are great for kids!!! Two buffets at each end of beach make lunch very easy!

Use the Other Resorts!! We went to the Palace Property ...(nice walk by Board Walk..all 5 reorts connected by beach boardwalk) ...the Palace has a Childrens Water park which was a change of scenery and excitement for our boys!!! Georgeous pool and we were served in the Pool and aournd The Pools with no questions about our wrist bands!! A little walk never hurts after eating a little more then we do at home!!!! To me this place is only as big as you make it! If your lazy, you will complain! If your in holiday mode, it wont be an issue!

Rooms: Very Clean...Now i did pay 630 US to upgrade to ocean view room. It was larger and was quiet in the evening and 30 feet from the Water Park! Loved it! Room number 4604. Sounds like alot of money???? Well SJR suite thru air transat 900 per person more if you booked with them. Always cheaper at the resort and worth it!! We had tons of teenagers partying during spring break! And we never heard them at night! Money well spent. Mini bar was always stocked with water pop beer juice boxes and snacks!! Rooms were cleaned promptly! Tip: Put please clean room on door and CALL housekeeping! Say we need our room cleaned ...small children that nap in the afternoon and they come right away. 2 beds and a murphy bed and playpen was delivered right away.

Restaurants: Im picky and i found lots to eat!!! Hot enough considering its a buffet! Quality was great! Tip: The main buffet has two sides and when they are both open....if your waiting to get eggs for example....there is 2 stations on each side which make them! So if both stations on each side is busy (busy is 4 people) have a look at the other side. We played this game and always got served right away. Use this for lunch and dinner as well. But really never too busy!! Okay if you can find MIguel ..he will look after you! if You mention us..he will really look after you. Mention the couple whos boys made him pictures before we left! If your going to tip...put it on the table when you first sit down as he/she is delivering your drinks. Put the tip 2 Us or 20 pesos under an empty glass in full view. They will work your entire meal knowing there getting it! If your at the swim up bar and just finished your drink ...walk up with a buck in your hand visible to the bartender! It works! Play the game.

These people work very hard and should be treated with respect and not servants! Remember the hotel and airline got our money! Not them! I always tipped..every meal and felt good about it. These people have families too and work for very little!

Entertainment: Very good compared to most properties we've been too. Plan your evening to be there around 930 if no kids. They start to serve at your seats then and if you tip the first time...THEY will come back often! If you have children be there for 830 mini disco. But to be honest its balloons for the first half hour....and if they get on the stage throwing a balloon around you might be nervous about them running off the stage. Good a couple of times a week but show up around 9ish and they do some dancing for about 15-20 minutes. We had both our children nap late afternoon for a couple of hours at most so they could stay up for dinner and the show! Show ends at 1030pm and the disco opens. Youll appreciate that the show plays music no later then 11pm for putting the kids to sleep and the noise.

Enjoy your stay!! Dont hesitate to email us for questions!
Taxi to playa 18 each way! 25min trip max
Playa to cozumel fairy every hour! 25 bucks per person. children free!
They come back 2pm and 5pm. And a few later! Trip 35-40 mins

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank CochraneFamily09

Halifax Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2009

We were there March 22-29, we arrived in the pouring rain, but were greeted at the front desk with welcome drinks, had to wait for our room for a couple of hours, which was a bit of a drag.
We got reservations that night however for the al la carte's for the Thai restaurant, as good as any Thai place we'd gone to.
Room - Clean, spacious, towels were changed daily. Turn down service with chocolates.
Food - Buffetts plentiful and excellent, breakfasts were eggs, sausages, bacon, fruit, cappucino or smoothies in the morning, kid's section for food. We ate lunch at the beach grill, the Mariachi, variety of fresh fruit, desserts, hamburgers, casadillas, self serve coronas and margaritas. No food allowed on the beach, so no garbage. Al la carte's Bali Hai excellent, Italian was fabulous, presentation was beautiful, highly recommend the lamb chops. Mexican restaruant was so so.
Beach - It was windy for three of the seven days we were there, all motorised water sports were cancelled. We didn't mind the wind as it cooled the beach. Colonial part very good but in the water wear water shoes as the rocks aren't great for bare feet. Plenty of beach chairs every day we went, lots of beach to walk on.
You could snorkel off the quay and swim with the fishes if you wanted, free scuba diving lessons in the pool as well. Pool was a bit cool but not very crowed.
Staff - Friendly and hard working, better than Cuba, didn't feel compelled to tip. Many spoke English.
Excursions - Hidden World by collectivo about twenty minutes south toward Tulum, found on internet, seventy dollars US got zip lining, swimming in cenotes, admiring spider monkeys, worth twice the price. Bought the CD of personal pics of us for $25 US along with generic pics of the park. Didn't feel crowed or rushed, good local food at cafe. Well worth the money, check it out online.
Playa del Carmen - Collectivo up from resort only 25 pesos. initially a bit overwhelming, but we quickly got into the flow. No gracias is a key phrase. We walked up Quintana Avenida to Chocolate shop near Consituyyena Avenida called Ahcacao, great ice cream, buy the hockey puck sized chocolate. Be careful buying silver, lots of shops, bargain down to at least 50% of initial price, look for silver stamp on jewelry. As the sun goes down the mood of the place changes from day to night, very interesting.
Chitzen Itza booked through transat $130 Cdn. a full day, 11 hours on the trip. visited the Ik Kil cenote first, could swim if you like. Almost three hours at ruins, very hot, no shade, over 40 C, bring water, sunscreen and a hat. Ton of vendors, so be careful what you buy and what you pay. Our tour guide Gina was not very good, avoid if possible. All in all was well worth going, very beautiful place, very stark.
We won't ever go back to Cuba, good weather (don't fret about the online weather forecasts, it's never accurate). however during the black out the staff didn't seem prepared for the emergency and the room safes don't open when the power is out.
Apart from that we will go back to this resort, many more excursions to do in the area, and the hotel is perfect. We had avoided Mexico because of safety issues before, but we never felt unsafe and we were off the resort several times in the collectivo buses with other tourists and locals travelling in them. What ever is going on elsewhere in the country there is more likely hood of being shot here in Halifax than on vacation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#13 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,997 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#73 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,552 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!