We travelled with Air Transat which was an improvement over AC last year. The 2 hour bus ride from the airport was comfortable with our host supplying unlimited cervazas (40 pecos each).
Check-in was fast and friendly and we were in awe at the size and landscape of the resort. The pools were warm (which was an improvement over last resort), clean and lots of them. However, you did have to get there early to reserve a chair for the day. We enjoyed discovering each part of the resort (5 in total) and if you don't enjoy walking you can stay within your resort or take the shuttle bus.
The beach was massive with lots of available chairs. Definitely rocky areas so our water shoes came in handy. The waves were quite high on a couple of days which made for a lot of fun.
It was windy the entire time. That worked out fine when it was hot but on the cool days it made coming out of the water a bit chilly, and by cool I mean days without the humidity (2).
We didn't go to any of the speciality restaurants so can't comment. Talked to a few people and they actually preferred the buffet. The buffet is great but must say after 7 days it does get tiring. They have the 'Grill' buffets that are located off the beach for lunch but the food there didn't look too impressive. Met 2 couples from the Palace that came over to eat at our buffet as they said it was much better.
Our room was very standard - beds comfortable (I brought a pillow) and the housekeeping was average. No towel art which isn't a big deal, and we did have to ask for more cervaza every day. Tipping them didn't seem to make much difference.
Great computer/internet service at a little shop in the Shopping Centre. $3.00 for 20 minutes which was a little cheaper than the main internet areas within the resort.
Took the shuttle bus into Playa del Carmen 2 days - only 20 minutes and 30 pecos each. Got ripped off on the ferry to Cozumel. We rushed to catch the ferry and she over charged us. Didn't realize until that night - so we paid for 4 instead of 2. Lesson to be learned - always check your receipts!
Entertainment at night was not worth staying up up for. In talking to other to people on our bus to the airport, it sounds like this resort is more popular for the spring breakers. We definitely had our share of them but since the resort is so big, you could easily go some place quiet.
All in all - we had a fantastic time. No complaints and we would recommend it. Now back to work!!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Prestigia, Barcelo, Expedia, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Ebookers so you can book your Barcelo Maya Colonial reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Maya Colonial Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Colonial
- Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach Resort
- Barcelo Maya Caribe & Beach Resort
- Barcelo Maya Tropical & Colonial Beach
- Barcelo Maya Colonial Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Aventuras