“Huge Resort!”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Calgary
“Huge Resort!”
Reviewed 12 April 2009

We travelled with Air Transat which was an improvement over AC last year. The 2 hour bus ride from the airport was comfortable with our host supplying unlimited cervazas (40 pecos each).
Check-in was fast and friendly and we were in awe at the size and landscape of the resort. The pools were warm (which was an improvement over last resort), clean and lots of them. However, you did have to get there early to reserve a chair for the day. We enjoyed discovering each part of the resort (5 in total) and if you don't enjoy walking you can stay within your resort or take the shuttle bus.
The beach was massive with lots of available chairs. Definitely rocky areas so our water shoes came in handy. The waves were quite high on a couple of days which made for a lot of fun.
It was windy the entire time. That worked out fine when it was hot but on the cool days it made coming out of the water a bit chilly, and by cool I mean days without the humidity (2).
We didn't go to any of the speciality restaurants so can't comment. Talked to a few people and they actually preferred the buffet. The buffet is great but must say after 7 days it does get tiring. They have the 'Grill' buffets that are located off the beach for lunch but the food there didn't look too impressive. Met 2 couples from the Palace that came over to eat at our buffet as they said it was much better.
Our room was very standard - beds comfortable (I brought a pillow) and the housekeeping was average. No towel art which isn't a big deal, and we did have to ask for more cervaza every day. Tipping them didn't seem to make much difference.
Great computer/internet service at a little shop in the Shopping Centre. $3.00 for 20 minutes which was a little cheaper than the main internet areas within the resort.
Took the shuttle bus into Playa del Carmen 2 days - only 20 minutes and 30 pecos each. Got ripped off on the ferry to Cozumel. We rushed to catch the ferry and she over charged us. Didn't realize until that night - so we paid for 4 instead of 2. Lesson to be learned - always check your receipts!
Entertainment at night was not worth staying up up for. In talking to other to people on our bus to the airport, it sounds like this resort is more popular for the spring breakers. We definitely had our share of them but since the resort is so big, you could easily go some place quiet.
All in all - we had a fantastic time. No complaints and we would recommend it. Now back to work!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kim032
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 5 October 2016
Dear Guest:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
ontario
Reviewed 11 April 2009

Well, what can I say! Nothing terrible as the staff works so hard for their $5 us a day! Do any of you work that hard for $5/day? My boyfriend and went from 03/29/09 - 04/05/09. We were booked through Air Transat Prestige Class. I highly recommend the orientation. The Colonial was the best of the five. It was dead centre of all five. The grounds were immaculate, I once observed the staff polishing the lamp post!!! The palm trees and the gardens were beautiful! The beach at the Colonial was pristine. The only fault was the high winds so the red flag was up most of the week however others were on it! It is federally regulated!! We awoke one morning to see the sunrise as we observed a few others do the same, this was a site to see as it is different to see the sunrise over the ocean.

Room - 6351(jalisco) your standard room - who can complain you only sleep in it! A little muggy, but it is the caribbean! The minibar was re-stocked daily and not by the maid. The server each day realized the servaza dissappear and there appeared to be an extra servaza each day!! LOL! As for the snacks I could care less I was bloated from the abundance of food and alcohol.

Food - there was an abundance of food! We were to receive four a la carts however the hotel gave us five. We utilized four of them. The buffets had a variety of food for all walks of Americans/Canadians/Europeans! FYI - try and book a la carts asap, we booked the night(11pm) and received reservations for all (not by choice) either 830pm or 9pm. We checked the day of the specific a la cart to see if there were any cancellations and low and behold there were 630pm. The best a la carts I advise is the steak, mexican and especially the Japanese( very entertaining - the food is prepared at your table). Japanese was the most difficult to get into. We booked on arrival and received a reservation for the night before departure. Don't procrastinate book the Japanese you can cancel if you wish even at the last second!

Drinks/Swim up bars - here is my theory on all the whiners not receiving service at the swim up bar "immediately" and having to leave the pool to get your drink.....I'll pose this question and seriously think about it... how often do you carry money in your bathing suit? The staff make $5/ day would you as an employee knowing the possiblity of making a tip and adding to your $5/day stay at the swim up bar.....don't think so! Some peoples expectations are to high people so don't be whining - your on vacation have a good time and get out of the pool, get your drink and go back in and sit at the stool! I did and understood the minute I heard they made $5/day! These people dream of coming to Canada or parts of America but can barely leave their home! I was satisfied with the drinks and the service in all aspects of the hotel as I didn't take my vacation for granted!

Activities - the staff were constantly trying to get people involved! I read reviews stating there was an activity board in the main lobby however they didn't know where the activity was taking place....well the front desk was right there and they could've asked. I had no problems finding the activities.....I guess this is just a part of what I do for a living...I investigate. We walked the entire five resorts and found and heard the Colonial to be the best and the biggest. I must admit the Palace was lovely. One could visit however because we didn't stay at the Palace you could not receive alcoholic drinks, food or watch the nightly shows however if one chose one could pay an extra $15/pp to attend a meal. Not interested food was food to us!

Nightly Entertainment - One important suggestion, if you're looking for authentic attend the show "MEXICO PREHISPANICO" you won't be dissappointed. The costumes were hand made and looked expensive. As for the other shows, there were shows for kids and shows that involved the audience. If any of you have attended "Stage West" in Mississauga, Ontario I would say the shows are as good as there! There are two theatres for shows - one is at the Colonial and the other is at the Tropical!

We enjoyed off site tours - Tulum, Chichen Itza, Swam with the Dolphins and took a day in Playa Del Carmen. All enjoyable! FYI - Chichen Itza is a long day. We were the first on the bus, an hour and a half of picking up people at other resorts and then at the last stop (Bahia Principe) the languages are separated English on one bus and the French on another. Once you get past the p/u of people the trip is well worth the patience needed! Bring hats, sunscreen and yes although the rep tells you water is not needed they provide it on the bus...bring it! The day we went it was 38. Another FYI is, if your looking for souvenirs(authentic) bring pesos and buy them there! In Playa Del Carmen the stores won't bargain however at Chichen Itza they will. We bought a letter opener, a mask, a hand carved mayan calendar and a pyramid for 670 pesos or approx. $50us. They don't take us money at Chichen Itza, it's the jungle really! The best and the cheapest mode of transportation was the Collectivo. This is the mexico version of a bus. It's a white van that will pick up persons outside your resort. We felt safe the entire time! We tried to leave gifts for the staff however they would not take them. They did however take the money left on the pillow!

We took nearly 300 pictures however I will post a few. I hope this review has sufficed and you take with it what you will. I loved every minute of my time at this resort and wish everyone else the experience we had too!

I have been to the Pacific side of Mexico and have to say the Caribbean is the most beautiful! We would definitely return to this specific resort.

7 Thank Connie T
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 2 October 2016
Dear Guest,

Barceló Maya Colonial
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 April 2009

We were the first off the bus load to get to the desk.......
Initial task is to get what you want at the front desk, ground floor, 2nd floor etc...
We had confirmation from our travel agent 2nd floor / 3rd , but Katrina (who we dealt with while there) stated they didn't receive fax....emails are more efficient eh!
Well we (both couples) ended up on the ground floor...told nothing else available at this time meanwhile at least 12 couples were also being serviced
Guanajuato Room 6421 ground floor across from the theater, nice room but damp........the sliding door was twisted in its own frame so ot was hard to open and once you got it open you had to lift it and yank on ot to close......Reported this to the desk that this was not suitable Katrina said nothing else was available at this time, we would have to wait till the next day but she would have someone fix the door. While we were out someone came to fix it, opened it couldn't close it left it open, remember we are on the ground floor...
"Good Security"
The next day we had access to a 2nd floor room, theater side, nice room, dry I checked the sliding patio door it was okay so I checked the fixed door (the one that's not suppose to move) with little effort I could slide it open even though the slider was secured..
"Good Security"
To prevent the fixed door from sliding there is a bar on the left of the door against the frame that once istalled secures it....problem thre is the bar is accesible from the outside
"Good Security"
The couple we went down with as mentioned also on ground floor against our wishes, said they were somewhat happy with the room even though it was backed onto bushes / trees etc which was also a path for the grounds people to get to the pool/beach/grounds. I checked thier patio doors you could secure the slider but the fix door agian with little effort you could open it....
"Good Security" have you had a thief problem there
Finally by the third day we were given rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors
The Air Transat representative wasn't much help, told "her" of our ordeal her reply was we would have to take problems to the desk. I asked her in the meantime if our room get broken into who pays her reply was the same, I asked her to take our names, which she did and talk to the desk.............I'll bet this was filed under G after we left
During this whole smozel, we inquired about the pool / beach side rooms Katrine told us the rooms were an extra $90. per person per night........kinda steep isn't it considering outside of location the rooms look the same.....I don't buy that...anyone stay in these rooms????
It seems that once you are there, they have your money......
Anyways Departure is a joke. You have to check out of your rooms by 12:00, I guess for preparation for the next wave of pepole. If your departure isn't till 1500 hours they have an area to put your baggage as well as a change room... (they call it Hospitality) ....with showers and lockers. Or for an extra $60. you can have a regular room....We decided to keep one of the rooms we had.........not vey accomodating considering all the problems we had they would drop the charge.........
Outside of all this, the food was great and loads of it, most of the staff were great, the Corona was the best on tap but only at the front bar.....
This was our second time to the Barcelo Maya, would I go back...........??????????

Incidently asked your travel agent of possible spring breakers, we went down after ours EH!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank phil m
Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us.
I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Best Regards,
Montreal,Qc. Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2009

Beautifull hotel, great staff, always freindly, smiles, Hola! The restaurants were fantastic, the beach was beautifull. IWE had warm sunny weather all 8 days, lots to do and see,Clean, it was paradise. Its a 10! We will be going back next winter, but for longer!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vpaul_9
Dear Guest,

Barceló Maya Colonial
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2009

Firstly, this was our third trip to the BM, the Beach in '05, Tropical in '06 and now Colonial. We do not expect much pampering on vacation and are usually very patient with staff and sometimes other guests.

We did send out our room request for 3rd floor Jalisco building with King Bed and got 2nd floor Jalisco building with two twins!! With how busy it still was we accepted what we received. The room was cleaned daily but we did have trouble with a couple stinky pillows (B.O.) that we thought would be taken care of after we pulled them from the cases and left them on the chair. We did bring a room spray of our own that partially cured the problem.
Weird thing happened on the second to last day, I think the maid ran out of time or was pulled somewhere else. When we returned after our day the sheets were still a mess and the daily $2 I would leave on the table between the beds was placed on one of our pillows like they didn't feel they deserved it.....not sure what happened there.

Our room fridge was stocked daily and a few days we were given 5 bags of chips after he knew we liked them.

As with every other year, the grounds are meticulous. I sometimes think it is the landscapers that deserve some of all that tip money.
We did not eat at any A La Cartes simply because we get everything we need at the buffet including lobster on two different evenings. Also, my wife has Celiac disease so being able to see the food up front is a great benefit.
The breakfast omelette is a great start to the day and I am now going through bacon withdrawal too!!
After dinner, I would enjoy my Kahlua in the chairs outside the buffet's and watch the staff through the glass. It looks like a bee hive in there the way the staff is getting drinks, making tables, cleaning up plates!!!

As for the pools, it was busy and not our usual time of early February so the towel game was going strong. Because we are only a couple we had no problem finding a suitable place in the sun after arriving at the pools by 10 or 10:30.
It was probably much busier around the pools because after Monday, the rest of the week was windy and the red flag was out!! I was not impressed since we had brought our own snorkel gear down with us to see the expanded snorkel areas by the Palace but what can you do. We made sure we took a couple walks a day end to end of the resort. I find a Rum Punch lasts just long enough for a one way trip and then refill to go back. Lol!

After walking up and around the Palace, we were kind of glad we didn't spend the extra $ on it. I think those guests are getting hosed as there is: very little beach area, only one tennis court per that many guests and it's the Palace!!!! They should have their own set of watersport equipment. It is quite a walk to want to take out a watertrike that badly. Just our observation.

We are quite glad we only had a couple days left after a few high school classes arrived for their break. I thought we were going to miss all that. We had the misfortune of overindulgent kids throwing up, being rude to bar staff, tossing their empty Modelo cans in the gardens and generally being disrespectful.
Heck, we even saw that someone must have had a good time at the tennis court upon our early morning arrival judging by the empty Trojan package on the ground. Get a room people!!!

To sum it all up, we did have a good time. We met some nice people, and the Barcelo did once again not dissapoint us. We have decided that although this has been our go-to resort for awhile, we need to check out some other spots in the area. We really don't have anything to measure the Barcelo against in the RM. I am sure we will be back, it just might take some time.

6 Thank Steelrman70

Best Regards,
Kimberley, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2009

Been to the Mayan twice now with my partner. Our experience at Colonial was not what we expected as the service was crap, the booze was gross, there were not enough staff, and the food was disgusting except for the Steak House. We had 5 a la cartes and we only like the steak house and the japanese. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone between the ages of 25-35 as there was no one there our age (26 and 29). I would recommend this place for family vacations, but not for more than a week as the food gets very tiresome after 3 days. Overall, I would not return.

2 Thank ballgirl82
Dear Guest:

Thank you so much for share with us your opinion in reference to your stay in our hotel, please receive our sincerely apologize if we caused you some discomfort, we are taking your comments with special consideration.
The service flaw that you mentioned was shared with our staff involved be sure that all the measure will be taken in order to correct each of the them.

Jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com
North Bay, ON
Reviewed 7 April 2009

Traveled to Barcelo Maya Colonial, 28 Mar - 04 Apr 2009. Air Transat flt out of Toronto went mechanical (faulty brakes) and was delayed by 4 hours. As compensation for the delay we were all given free head sets on the plane ($2 value) - not a great way to start a holiday! Arrival in Cancun went smoothly. Transfer to the hotel took 2 hours - would highly recommend a private transfer so you can get your vacation started sooner. You could buy Corona on the bus for $3/can.

The resort itself is HUGE!!! The lobby is open-air and the grounds are immaculate. It's a very scenic and lush resort. The walkways from the buildings to the restaurants and lobby are all covered. The rooms are a good size. We stayed in room 6213 in the Jalisco bldg. We emailed our requests a few days in advance and received confirmation back the very next day. Our room came with a fruit basket and bottle of tequila. We did have an issue with housekeeping - it was non-existent for the first 2 days we were there. After a phone call to the front desk, someone finally arrived. We found that we had to tip to ensure housekeeping kept coming back each day. We also lost power to our room on 3 different occasions. Each time it didn't last any longer than maybe 10 mins; however, when it kicked back on you had to reset the air conditioning, clock, etc. Our king-size bed was the most comfortable we've stay in while in Mexico (pillow-top mattresses). Bring your own face cloths. Only received 2 during the entire week. Mini-bar was stocked daily with juice boxes, beer, variety of pop, water, peanuts, chocolate and chips each day.

The main buffet restaurant had a good selection for breakfast: made to order omelet's (4 separate stations available), pancakes/waffles, fresh fruit, variety of cold cuts, hot breakfast sausages/bacon and pastries. We ate most of our lunches down at the Mariachi grill; however, the menu doesn't change from day to day. Burgers, pizza, quesadias, salad, rice, self-serve soft ice cream. The a la carte restaurants vary. Our favorites in order included: Teppanyaki, Italian, Steak, Mexican and then Seafood. The show at the Teppanyaki was excellent. The food at the Italian was some of the best we had all week. The food at the Mexican was good; however, the Mariachi band was way too loud. This restaurant is also open-air so it can get quite windy since it's close to the ocean. The lobster at the Seafood restaurant would have bounced had I dropped it on the floor. Overall, food was plentiful and you could always find something to eat.

Space around the pool and beach was in abundance. The 'towel game' is still being played; however, you can find chairs at any time of day by the pool or beach. There is plenty of space to spread out.

We didn't have any complaints about the drinks. Never had to ask them to add alcohol at any time. We did our research ahead of time and knew what to ask for. The lobby bar makes the best drinks on the resort. One disappointment was that there was no pool service for drinks. You had to go to the bar and get your own drinks each time. Also, the swim-up bar was hit and miss as to whether anyone was there to serve drinks. Also, one time my husband was told he would have to pay extra for Beef Eater gin even though we were Prestige Class which is suppose to entitle you to premium liquor.

The resort advertises "internal transportation" through the resort which is a bit misleading. The shuttle service is from the front lobby of one Barcelo resort to the next. The shuttle doesn't go into any of the resorts. On one occasion we took the shuttle so we could get an idea of what the other resorts looked like. The shuttle got as far as the Maya Beach resort and broke down. Everyone on the shuttle had to get off and walk back to their resort. So for those with accessibility issues, you may find this resort a bit much. Because everything is so spread out there is alot of walking involved. I know people have commented, "If you're lazy you'll complain" about all the walking. If you have mobility problems, it isn't a matter of being lazy. The added distance will add fatigue during the day. Also, the tile floors in the walkways are a bit slippery if you use a cane and none of the stair cases have hand rails. On a positive note, the pools do have hand rails in various areas making getting in and out of the pool a bit easier. You can rent a golf card at a cost of $85/day US.

There are many activities available for people to partake in. We played the mini-putt and pitch n' putt daily. The mini-putt is well shaded and we never had any issue with bugs. They will charge you $2 if you lose your ball. We brought our own to avoid the hassle.

The evening shows were some of the best we've seen in Mexico. The theatre is open-air and very large. There is always something going on in the Mexicana Plaza. They are many shops that are fun to browse through in the evening. Three times per week local artists are invited to set up in the plaza to show off their talent. You can pick up some nice artwork to take home. The shops in the Mexicana Plaza are independent from the resort. Their prices and exchange rate are lower than the shops directly off the lobby. When you make purchases in the lobby shops your options for payment are credit or charge to room. They do not accept cash. Also the exchange rate is 14.13%.

Overall the resort offers good value for the price. Let's be honest, we all really pay for 7 days of sun shine and to get away from snow for a short period of time. Everything else is just a bonus. Go to the Barcelo Maya Colonial with an open mind and prepare to get some exercise.

5 Thank Magentis
Dear Guest:
On behalf of our hotel, we would like to thank you for coming to Barcelo Maya Colonial hotel; we also want to thank you for your significant opinion which is very important for us to improve our services and products .

we glad you have a good time during your vacations in our hotel.

we hope to have the privilege and the honor to share with you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!