“Second time to this overall great resort.”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 31 May 2009

This was our second time to the resort and we will be back. The service, room, food, beach, pool and everything about it was just great. I can't say enough about the service, it was impeccable. Please when you go there, be courteous to everyone, learn a few words of spanish (they love to be spoken to in thier language, if only in a few words). Please don't stand on or touch the coral at the pier, I can't tell you how much damage I saw from people standing on the coral while snorkeling. Above all please tip the maid, your waiter and anyone else that provides direct assistance, a few bucks a day (more at the speciality restaurants), every little bit helps and they appreciate it. Enjoy the resort!

1  Thank alj000
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2016

Dear Guest:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Write a ReviewReviews (6,496)

Reviewed 27 May 2009

My new husband and I visited Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach Resort the first week of May, 2009 for our honeymoon. I put many hours of research into deciding on where we would take our vacation, and this is putting it mildly. Finally we decided on Barcelo Maya Beach and booked our vacation 10 months ahead of time. I depended on Trip Advisor a lot in my decision making so I will try to make this review as detailed as I can to help you too.
We decided on Barcelo Maya Beach but we were given a pleasant surprise when we checked in, we had been upgraded to the Barcelo Maya Colonial/Tropical.
They told our travel agent the upgrade was due to overbooking, but we found out later it that one section of the resort was closed due to low occupancy. This likely due to people afraid of swine flu… which was not even an issue in this part of Mexico. It appeared to me occupancy was only at about 30 - 40% which for this time of year, is very low. But it worked to our advantage.
See, this complex consists of 5 hotels… Barcelo Maya Beach and Barcelo Caribe Beach share a lobby and pools and are of the lowest quality end of the complex. Barcelo Maya Colonial and Barcelo Maya Tropical are of the mid quality and is located in the middle (the heart of) the resort and near the theatre. Barcelo Maya Palace is the king… it’s of the highest quality and carries a hefty price tag with it.
With all this being said, please keep in mind my review is based on a low occupancy level… so service might have been better than if it had been full. Also, it is based mainly on Tropical/Colonial section of the complex.
My husband and I are from the United States. There were very few other Americans there at the time of our visit. There were mostly Canadians and Europeans. This was very interesting. We met people from Canada, Germany, Italy, etc. We also met a few other folks from here in the U.S.

Airport, Check-In & Lobby:
We came in from Cancun airport via transfer using Best-Day Travel. The driver bringing us from the airport drove like a maniac. It was scary but kind of funny at the same time in a strange sort of way. It only took us 50 minutes to arrive. Partially because our driver went 90 miles per hour and also because there were no stops along the way which was incredible considering the number of other resorts we passed along the way. We got lucky I guess. Beware of the people in the airport trying to sell excursions and time-shares. They are like vicious sharks looking for a feed!! You need to have tunnel vision looking only for your transfer and stay away from everyone else!

Once we got to our hotel, we were not greeted with a drink like some other folks said they were in their review but that’s okay. There was no one else checking in at the same time so we didn’t have to wait except for our room was not ready but they took our bags and gave us our bands so we could go ahead to the buffet for lunch and when we returned our room was ready but after 45 minutes we never got our bags so we went to the lobby and fetched them ourselves. Disturbing considering how slow the resort was. But everyone in the check-in process was pleasant.

Room:
Our room was in the Jalisco building on the third floor, room # 6335. Our view was of many palm trees/garden and of another building but it was in the closed section so we didn’t have anyone facing us. This gave us more privacy. Beyond the palm trees if you looked real hard, you could see the ocean and a little bit of the beach. I didn’t really care about this because we didn’t spend much time in the room anyway.
The room was exceptionally clean. We were greeted with a kissing-two-swan towel art sculpture with flowers that was incredible and a fruit basket with a bottle of champagne. The mini bar was fully stocked with Coke, Diet Coke, Orange Fanta, Modelo (beer), bottled water, peanuts and candy. It was restocked every day. We left a $2.00 (US dollars) tip with a note in Spanish asking for more beer and water and when we returned the fridge was so packed with water and beer the door could barely close! A little tip goes a long way here. We were sure to tip the maid as well. The bathrooms were full tile and granite and very clean. The balcony was very spacious. No complaints what-so-ever about the room.

Various hotels of the complex and Beaches:
Palace is the biggest, newest and holds the most privileges (use of all restaurants and facilities). The rooms are spectacular but in my opinion, the pools were no better than Colonial/Tropical (in fact, I liked Colonial/Tropical pools better) and the beach is very rocky near the Palace. The rocky beaches are beautiful but difficult to walk on. But, no big deal…just walk down towards Colonial/Topical or Beach/Caribe beaches. They’re much nicer and that is where the water sports are located. In my opinion, the Palace is not worth the extra cost. Exactly how much time do you spend in your room anyway? However… for the price difference, I do think Tropical/Colonial is worth the extra money over Beach/Caribe. That’s my opinion. Tropical/Colonial is in the center of the complex, closest to the theatre, main restaurant and water sports but pool areas are not as loud as they are in Caribe/Beach area as that is where they hold the pool activities. Beaches are less rocky and it is closer to the pier.

Beaches and Pools:
Cleaner than you could ever imagine. Incredibly beautiful. Ocean is crystal clear. You can go out so deep that you can touch the bottom and still see your toes! Beaches are spotted with palm trees that provide a surprisingly large amount of shade. Chairs in abundance on the beaches and around the pools, never an issue. Grounds are covered with lush tropical gardens and trees. Coconut and banana trees all over. They actually use these fruits on the restaurants. Iguanas all around. Pool area bars close earlier than I’d like but no big deal. Plan on lots and lots of walking... this place is enormous. No kidding. You’ll need some comfortable shoes. I came back with blisters on my feet! Some people wore aqua socks (swim shoes) in the ocean – not a bad idea. The rocks and coral can really cut up your feet. When you check in, you’ll either have beach towels in your room or you will get cards to get the towels near the pool. This is important to remember. You just trade your dirty towels for clean ones. When you check out, you must turn your towels in at the front desk. Guess they have to do this so folks don’t take them home!

Food & Drinks/Bars:
Buffett: We didn’t care for the food. This is NOT because the food was not “good”, it is simply because we are from another country and have differing taste. The food on the buffets was plentiful and beautifully displayed. There was a huge selection. The pastries and fruit carvings were like works of art. We tried so hard to love the food but didn’t. All the others guess seemed to really enjoy the food.
A La Carte: We made our first reservation at the seafood restaurant. We still didn’t care for the food. After that, we passed up on our other A La Carte reservations as we didn’t like having to stop our outdoor activities to shower and dress to make a reservation. We preferred to just eat at the beach side buffet on our own time. The best food I ate during my visit was the Guacamole (always available and wonderfully delicious) and the cream of oyster soup at the seafood restaurant. My husband loved the French toast at breakfast.

Drinks/Bars:
Many people on their review complained that the drinks were “watered down” or “weak”. My findings in this was… it all depends on the bartender, kind of drink you order and frankly, just a matter of personal opinion in how strong you like your drinks. We found the frozen mixed drinks were rather weak. All you have to do is tell the bartender to add more booze and they’ll give it to you. We tried a Mango Tango, Pina Colada and Margarita. They were okay but they were a bit too sweet for my liking. Back home, our drink of choice is Cuban Libre (Rum, lime juice and Coke). We found the fountain drinks to have a strange taste to them and the resort seemed to be lacking on gold rum. So after trying various drinks, we ended up sticking mainly with Mojitos (really good – try one!!) or Corona and tequila shots. Can’t go wrong with that! There are even self serve Corona taps everywhere so you can just help your self. Usually when we ordered tequila shots they would reach for the house tequila and we would just as for Jose Cuervo and they would serve it right up, no problem. We carried “Bubba Mugs” – they’re large insulated mugs with lids. These really came in handy. The bartenders had no problem filling them up with beer for us and it stayed cold for a long time. The glasses/cups they give at the outdoor bars are very small and the drink gets warm too fast. Sometimes I would fill it with ice water (I poured myself, bottled water). Be sure to tip your bartenders. They work very hard and really appreciate it.

Excursions:
Transportation out of the resort… You can walk out to the main street at the resort entrance and wait for the public transportation van “Collectivo” $3.00 US dollars (I might be off on this a bit) per person each way. We didn’t bother and just had the bell-hops call us a cab. $15 - $20 each direction depending on where you’re going.
We planned on going to Tulum to see the ancient ruins. Unfortunately, Tulum was closed the same week we were there. Bummer. Instead we went to Xel-Ha. ($75.00 US Dollars) per person for entrance; all inclusive. They provide all drinks (bars, water, sodas etc) food, towels and snorkel equipment. What we didn’t know is they hold $20.00 deposit per snorkel set but you get it back when you return your set. You have to have special sunscreen; you can buy it there or at the resort and take it with you. I think if all you have is regular sunscreen, they will make a trade with you but I’m not sure about that.
We snorkeled all around the lagoon. They have swimming with dolphins for a stiff additional charge, we opted out of that. They’ll take your picture with a parrot, iguana or toucan for $12.00! No Thanks! You could book the excursion to Xel-Ha that includes transportation for much more but we just too a cab ($18 each way) and were able to go and leave whenever we wanted to and it was still cheaper. Xel-Ha was beautiful, interesting and HOT! It was fun but I’m sure I would ever return. My husband had been to X-Caret before and thought there was more to do there, more worth the money.

Another day we took a cab to Playa Del Carmen. I highly recommend this. It was so interesting and quite an experience seeing a different part (non-resort) of Mexico, interact with the people, bartering on prices of jewelry, booze and cheesy souvenirs. We found a bar on the beach. Negotiated the price of a beer (paid $1.50 for Dos Equis) then someone at the bar bought us another. Don’t know why, didn’t ask!!! We enjoyed our drinks while looked at the beautiful blue water and watched the families playing together on the beach and the ferry going to Cozumel – which by the way you could see on the ocean horizon. We really enjoyed this and will go back on our next visit.

For free utilize the non-motorized water sports that are included in your price. You can parasail ($55 per person) which is an incredible experience we missed out on because we waited until our last day and then it was too windy, they wouldn’t take us out.

Overall:
Spectacular!! You simply cannot beat the value. You get so much for your money here. It is exceptionally clean and beautiful. Everyone is extremely courteous and willing to please. We had a wonderful time and can’t wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Best_For_Last_71

Reviewed 26 May 2009

I visit Mexico about twice a year. This trip was a graduation gift for my daughter's friend that graduated college. I chose this resort because I like Barcelo and it had many activities but since the flu hit the area is dead. Very little traffic in Playa del Carmen area, only the Colonial and Palace portions are open. We had such a great time with the staff and other guests of the resort but I wish more had been open. Everyone that is thinking of a beach vacation should go to Mexico, the impact the flu has had on this area is truly sad. Buffets were fine, right temperature and always fresh and the a la carte restaurants were good, we went to the Caribbean and French restaurants at the Palace. Since there was only one restaurant open in the Colonial area we got to go over to the Palace a la cartes for free. The cooks were wearing face masks which actually made me happy but no one else was wearing them except a few people at the airport. It's a beautiful resort and I will return someday. No bugs, friendly, helpful staff-Alberto at the pool bar is the BEST-clean rooms, beautiful beach, great pool...what more could you want? The mini bar was stocked daily but I had to put a small tip to make sure we got enough water but I didn't do it every day. I only like to tip if the service is good and for the most part it was really good.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank tequilahaze

Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us.
I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Reviewed 26 May 2009

We were supposed to stay at the Barcelo Maya & Caribe Beach, but it was closed and we were not informed ahead of time. In fact, three of the five hotels on the property were closed, including about 1/2 of the restaurants either due to lack of guests or renovations.

The Colonial has beautiful grounds, pools, and lobby areas. The rooms on the bottom floor smell like mildew no matter how many times they come and spray lysol. We also had the power go out 3x during our 8-day stay and our mini bar was broken until the last full day. The cleaning staff kept forgetting to fully lock our sliding door as well.

The buffet (only one was open) was okay, but just okay. The Seafood Restaurant was horrible, and many other guests agreed with me. We did not try the Thai Restaurant since the menu wasn't really Thai. The Japanese Restuarant is like Benihana, and they put on a great show, but the food is only okay.

We had a hard time booking our 4 nights at specialty restaurants because the hospitality desk (Edna) kept giving us wrong information, like were weren't allowed to book at the restaurants at the Palace (we found out she was wrong from several guests), she wouldn't book us on our first night there, but booked other guests right in front of us on their first night (and they got in later than us), told us that certain nights were fully booked and we found out later that was not true, and booked us on a wrong night (fortunately, the Japanese Restaurant was able to fit us in).

Over all the experience was good, especially since there was nobody there due to the Swine Flu scare. I wouldn't consider the service to be top-notch, but it is okay. Service at hotels in Europe was much better.

2  Thank lkondrat

Dear GUest:

Reviewed 26 May 2009

We were in Mexico from May 19- 24 2009. It was our first time traveling to Mexico, so we didn't know what to expect. There were four of us girls traveling, we were taking my friends 18 yr old daughter and her friend to Mexico as a gift for their graduation from High School. We stayed at the Barcelo Riviera Maya All Inclusive resort. We were booked to stay in the Caribe but were upgraded to the Colonial since they had 3 of the 5 resorts closed. The Swine Flu scare really kept people away. We practically had the entire beach to ourselves. We bought our trip through Orbitz and got a great deal - $642.00 p/person which included the resort stay and air from Kansas City, Missouri. The flights were great had to stop in Dallas but that was no big deal. I suggest not purchasing the transportation offered by Orbitz from the Cancun airport to your resort or the Travel Insurance. Orbitz was going to charge us $88 per person for transportation from the Cancun Airport to our resort, we booked our transportation seperately with Cancun Valet they only charged us $145.00 for a round trip which for the four of us ended up being $36.25 per person (The cost of $145.00 is for up to 6 people). Purchase your travel insurance with Travel Safe (it's cheaper and more coverage than what Orbitz offers) it was a great deal and be sure to buy the insurance that includes cancel for any reason so if something comes up and you have to cancel you can at least get some of your money back. When you arrive at the airport in Cancun the transportation company will hold up a sign with your name on it so you know you are going with the right person. The resort was wonderful all you can eat, the buffets were nice and had a great selection of food. The Ala Carte restaurants are by reservation only, the resort gives you a certain number of tickets depending on the number of days you stay at the resort. We stayed 5 nights so we got 2 vouchers each. Otherwise you will have to eat at the buffets which were good. With our 2 Ala Carte tickets we elected to go to the Brazilian Restaurant and the Japanese restaurants - believe me you will not be disappointed! The Brazilian is quite the experience - they give you 7 different meats and a wonderful salad bar and dessert. The resort also has all you can drink (take your own mugs!) and they were good drinks too, be sure to try the Rivera Maya drink it is Delicious!! Staff at the Barcelo were wonderful and friendly be sure to tip them for their service although you don't have to, but it is nice. The beach was gorgeous! There are a lot of fish to see about 6 ft out in the water you can actually go out pretty far in the water and it will be waist deep. Take some crackers or bread with you and the fish will just swim around you, it's so cool! I even seen a sting ray jumping out of the water while I was laying on the beach looking out at the ocean. Free water sports are available on the beach. Parasailing and Deep Sea fishing will cost you, but it is reasonable. We took a taxi to Playa Del Carmen from the resort which is about 15 minutes from the Barcelo resort it cost us $18 one way so we split the cost between the four of us. I highly recommend it, there is lots of shopping that can be done and you can also take the ferry to Cozumel while in Playa Del Carmen if you want. Be sure to take cash with you and have lots of dollar bills- many times I tried to use a credit card and the machines didn't work. Also, be sure to take a bag so you can carry your souvenirs with you. You can bargain with the stores, but believe me all of the stores usually have the same things, so I would wait until you have looked at all the stores before buying something for the first time. We also visited the Mayan Ruins in Tulum and again took a taxi which was $25.00 one way for 2 hours it costs you $10 for every extra hour you spend there. Two hours is enough time to visit the Mayan Ruins. To enter the Mayan Ruins it costs $5.00 a person. Do not take a video camera with you - they won't let you in if you have one. If you want a guided tour it will be extra- the beach that sits below the Mayan Ruins is accessible during your tour of the Mayan Ruins and is absolutely beautiful! Wear your swimsuit the water is so blue and it is refreshing because you will be hot after walking through the Mayan Ruins exhibit. Be sure to take your camera, sunscreen and a bottle of water. Our overall stay was Excellent and i would definitately go back again! If you have any questions I would be happy to try to help you if I can.

7  Thank hawle69
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2016

Dear Guest,

Barceló Maya Colonial

Reviewed 23 May 2009

Tip your servers and attendants our one dollar is SOMETHING for them. They work so hard to please the tourists, we get excellent deals in Mexico, the least we could is appreciate the front line workers. Beware when you tip the housekeeper, and mini bar supplier that the tip goes to them. Sometimes maintenance workers will go in with out your request to perform routine maintenance, and if they spot money meant for the housekeeper they may believe it is meant for him.

3  Thank carmita90670

Reviewed 21 May 2009

Just got back from a trip to Barcelo with four other girlfriends and we had a blast. When we arrived, we found out that our actual hotel, Barcelo Maya Beach Resort had been closed because so many people canceled their trips due to the swine flu scare so we actually got upgraded to the Colonial. This ended up being really great for us!

The pools are the best I've ever seen--be sure to check out the one closest to the Palace Resort, once we found it we spent all of our time there. We also enjoyed the ocean near the Palace and even saw sea turtles swimming around.

The Ala Cart reservation situation was totally confusing especially because some of the restaurants were closed. We asked about the Carribbean Restaurant in the Palace and got in there--good thing--it was amazing!!

Only other negative was the towel situation which is totally weird. Our first day two of us got towels and the other three didn't. One got taken at the pool which was no big deal until we found out that they charge you $20 if you "lose" your towel. Be sure to get all of the details about the towel policy when you check in. You even have to bring them with you when you check-out which seemed excessively restrictive.

The buffet was suprisingly good...again the buffet in the Palace which we snuck into was super fancy! Even the one at the Colonial though had an awesome smoothy/fresh juice station which was exciting. The bars were good, but again...bring your big mugs...the cups are small and everyone who didn't bring one wished they had.

Overall, a GREAT trip...it will be hard to beat this place!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends

#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#77 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!