“Best vacation ever - some tips for you in addition to other reviews”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Denver
“Best vacation ever - some tips for you in addition to other reviews”
Reviewed 5 June 2009

1st obviously - thanks to Swine flu scare - we got the barcelo price for worst hotel price and have been upgraded to colonial. Additionally hotel and beaches were completely empty. The food, service and entertaiment were super good - too good I would say. Not much to add to other reviews.

Just a few tips I did not find in other's review - probably mostly pool-swim up bar persons:
1) The least waves and the finest sea bottom are upfront of Barcelo Caribe (2nd hotel).
2) The best snorkel is on the little reef between Tropical and Palace when sea is calm
3) If sea is rough - the best snorkel - get down ladder on the peer and head to the little island - behind the island is calm.
4) Do NOT miss 2 senotes - exit of underground rivers - right on the property - one - civilized - right side of the Palace transportation entry.
The other a little left - 20 yards north from the non-motorized water sports rent place (Say Hi to Alejandro and Edgar) and 15 yards into the sea - from the sea bottom you will see a sand going and feel a cold water comes from the bottom sea hole.
5) If you patient enough - you will see a lot of sea turtles got up to the surface to take a breath - right upfront of the the renting place. A lot of big fish around the peer.
6) Internet - you can find a free wireless inside the Business center hall. So if you setup with your relatives the Skype - you can have a video conversation for free.
By the way - I had a netbook - but I think safe was big enough for 14" laptop.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
8 Thank Alex Z
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 2 October 2016
Dear Guest,

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Barceló Maya Colonial
jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 5 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Barcelo Colonial resort from May 21 thru May 31. The main reason we chose the resort was the beach and the ability to snorkel right at the resort. we were not dissapointed. We saw baracuda, Turtles, colorful fish, and a ray. I am taking fins next time because I like to go out further. The water sports area was fun but it was to windy to take out the bikes so we Kayaked.

The Service was excellent and we found the food to be pretty good! We really enjoyed the Japanese alacarte.

The resort is centrally located for day trips to Playa Del Carmen (fun place!), Tulum, Xel-Ha and many other things to see. (more things to see for the next trip)

My main dissapointment was the lack of a casual bar in the evening. The pool bar closed at 6:30 and it was understaffed so it made it more difficult to get drinks. The Colonial Lobby bar is nice and its air conditioned but it was very boring. After a day at the beach and getting showered up we are generally ready for a little fun and socializing! The Barcelo needs an outdoor bar that opens in the early evening and stays open until midnight or later. We are not disco type (opens at midnight or 11pm?) people and we would rather have our cocktails earlier.

My other complaint is not against the Barcelo.. it is to people in general! Please don't litter on the beach! There are garbage cans/ash trays everywhere!! The staff of the Barcelo works hard to keep the place clean.. but you cannot expect them to go diving for trash.

In General I would return to the Barcelo especially with a group of family and friends.. if it is just my husband and I, we would want to split the trip between the Barcelo and maybe a rustic cabana on one of the beaches in Tulum.

4 Thank Sambucci
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 5 October 2016
Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us.
I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 June 2009

This was my 9th trip to Mexico, 6th to the Cancun/Playa area. I've stayed in boutique hotels to adults-only, on the beach and off the beach. My husband and I usually travel this time of year, and usually without our 4 children, for a 4-5 day getaway. Such a Blessing! This year we decided to find a place that would suit our 18 year old and his friends...a place that had a good beach, on site activites at the pool, and close enough to a vibrant town (and definitely not a crazy party type Cancun). This was the perfect place

We originally were booked at the Caribe/Beach, standard room, and ended up, of course, at the Colonial...in a Jr. Suite!! We were placed in Guanajuato, rooms 6410 (which was a corner room w/hammock) and 6408. We did not have Club Premium, but were offered at $25/night/person. Our room was directly across the theatre/fountain and really loved the location (we were up and about very late every night so noise was not an issue for us). We were on the first floor; having rooms above would not have given you a better view IMO due to the beautiful palm trees. BTW, the grounds, trees, flowers......just beautiful.

The beach, as many of you know, is absolutely stunning. It carries such a natural beauty....the rocks, sand, trees, it's expansion, etc make it all just perfect. While we spent much of our time at the pool, we did enjoy ending our days relaxing on the beach loungers, strolling from Palace beginning to Beach end. We took the kayaks out, snorkeled, rode the waves with a turtle, and spotted a ray flipping. The 'boys' took their blankets out one evening and slept on loungers...just because they could.

We situated ourselves most days by 8am at the Colonial pool, near the swimup bar and activity area. We participated in many water polo games, some pool volleyball, salsa lessons, water aerobics, etc. It was a very lively area, and met so many nice people (hello to our Texas, Colorado, Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee, and Chicago friends). Our 'boys' befriended others their age as well, and are now all FB buddies. The entertainment staff was wonderful....a big thumbs up to Erika, Ivan, Carlos, Memo (and everyone else I've forgotten the names)!! The bartenders were great; hopefully they will build up their staff soon. Service was spotty, but no fault to the bartenders working, they just need more of them. I drank Bay Breezes all day long...every bar location had my Vodka/Cranberry/Pinapple. Hubby and I are currently in detox We were so proud of the 'boys'....they had fun without having to indulge. My son did try a mojito (didn't like it), a Mexican Flag shot, and a Spiderman shot. That was it for the 6 days....I'm such a proud mommy

We also did mini-golf, ping-pong, pool, bocci ball, streching classes, and enjoyed the workout facilities.

We were given two al a cartes, which were good for the Palace as well. We had Brazillian (ssooo much food and excellent at that), and the Seafood (also very good). Most of all, we LOVED the buffets....all of them...breakfast, lunch, dinner. Good variety everyday. I miss the food, I really do. Because of the closings around the resort, we could not experience all the Barcelo has to offer in the way of bars. We were limited in where we could hang out for a few drinks. The 'boys' were fine with the lobby bar, because of the sports games on TV. We did go to Jaguars one night (Friday), and was alot of fun (I actually like the music in that setting). Hubby and I did see the shows two nights, and the bar at the open air theatre was packed with the youngsters, and was not our 'boys' cup of tea. So with that......

We went into Playa del Carmen for three nights. Nightlife doesn't get going until 11:30ish, needless to say, we were out until 3 or 4 two of the nights. We took the 'boys' to Blue Parrot (beach club) to see the Fire Show, where our son had his first and only Dos Equis with Dad. Great show!! We also took them and friends they met at the resort to Coco Bongo one night. It was the highlight of their trip. The show is amazing; it is definitely an experience The other night we went into the Marina (nothing special IMO) with more new friends the 'boys' met, and back into town to see it at dayight and into the evening. My son ended up getting a very tasteful cross tattoo on his back at a great tattoo parlor. Okay, not one of my proudest mommy moments I just love Playa!!!!

We ventured to Coba and Tulum in one day. We left at 8:30a and returned at 1:30p. It was a perfect, fun day riding bikes, climbing the ruins, stopping at a Mayan village, playing in the waves at the Tulum ruins. We opted out of the tour guides, simply because the 'boys' read up on the ruin culture (breifly) and did not need anymore info. We hired a private driver for all our trasportation needs, including back to the airport. Pedro at the Colonial Bell Station was most helpful for us, and referred us to our drivers. It saved us money, and gave our Cappuccino and Louis an opportunity to earn extra money...a win/win

I have to say, we all had a fabulous time. Since this is a family resort, I missed the other three kids we left with Grandma and Grandpa all the more. We usually take our family vacations late summer, but after our wonderful Barcelo stay, we decided that the entire Lendino Clan will just have to make a return trip next year in May or June!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank Napermom4

Troy, Michigan
Reviewed 2 June 2009

Our wedding was held at the Chapel within the Colonial resort Mexican Plaza area. We had 30 guests from the States. Everyone was pleased with the food, rooms and overall service. The beach is one of the nicest in the area. There are reefs with good snorkeling out front of the Palace, Tropical and Colonial beaches. My mother in law had 'the best' massage she has ever had, and she is a frequent user due to joint illness. They did a wonderful job on my hair and makeup. Accomodating with large groups in the dinner buffet restaurant and specialty restaurant. Claudia the wedding planner really went above and beyond as did her helper, Bernadette. My 'husband' and I stayed at the Palace in November, which obviously is more upscale, but we were both very pleased with the Colonial and are planning another family trip next May. Viva Mexico! :-)

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank ceilidances

Denver
Reviewed 31 May 2009

This was our second time to the resort and we will be back. The service, room, food, beach, pool and everything about it was just great. I can't say enough about the service, it was impeccable. Please when you go there, be courteous to everyone, learn a few words of spanish (they love to be spoken to in thier language, if only in a few words). Please don't stand on or touch the coral at the pier, I can't tell you how much damage I saw from people standing on the coral while snorkeling. Above all please tip the maid, your waiter and anyone else that provides direct assistance, a few bucks a day (more at the speciality restaurants), every little bit helps and they appreciate it. Enjoy the resort!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alj000

Kernersville, NC
Reviewed 27 May 2009

My new husband and I visited Barcelo Maya Colonial Beach Resort the first week of May, 2009 for our honeymoon. I put many hours of research into deciding on where we would take our vacation, and this is putting it mildly. Finally we decided on Barcelo Maya Beach and booked our vacation 10 months ahead of time. I depended on Trip Advisor a lot in my decision making so I will try to make this review as detailed as I can to help you too.
We decided on Barcelo Maya Beach but we were given a pleasant surprise when we checked in, we had been upgraded to the Barcelo Maya Colonial/Tropical.
They told our travel agent the upgrade was due to overbooking, but we found out later it that one section of the resort was closed due to low occupancy. This likely due to people afraid of swine flu… which was not even an issue in this part of Mexico. It appeared to me occupancy was only at about 30 - 40% which for this time of year, is very low. But it worked to our advantage.
See, this complex consists of 5 hotels… Barcelo Maya Beach and Barcelo Caribe Beach share a lobby and pools and are of the lowest quality end of the complex. Barcelo Maya Colonial and Barcelo Maya Tropical are of the mid quality and is located in the middle (the heart of) the resort and near the theatre. Barcelo Maya Palace is the king… it’s of the highest quality and carries a hefty price tag with it.
With all this being said, please keep in mind my review is based on a low occupancy level… so service might have been better than if it had been full. Also, it is based mainly on Tropical/Colonial section of the complex.
My husband and I are from the United States. There were very few other Americans there at the time of our visit. There were mostly Canadians and Europeans. This was very interesting. We met people from Canada, Germany, Italy, etc. We also met a few other folks from here in the U.S.

Airport, Check-In & Lobby:
We came in from Cancun airport via transfer using Best-Day Travel. The driver bringing us from the airport drove like a maniac. It was scary but kind of funny at the same time in a strange sort of way. It only took us 50 minutes to arrive. Partially because our driver went 90 miles per hour and also because there were no stops along the way which was incredible considering the number of other resorts we passed along the way. We got lucky I guess. Beware of the people in the airport trying to sell excursions and time-shares. They are like vicious sharks looking for a feed!! You need to have tunnel vision looking only for your transfer and stay away from everyone else!

Once we got to our hotel, we were not greeted with a drink like some other folks said they were in their review but that’s okay. There was no one else checking in at the same time so we didn’t have to wait except for our room was not ready but they took our bags and gave us our bands so we could go ahead to the buffet for lunch and when we returned our room was ready but after 45 minutes we never got our bags so we went to the lobby and fetched them ourselves. Disturbing considering how slow the resort was. But everyone in the check-in process was pleasant.

Room:
Our room was in the Jalisco building on the third floor, room # 6335. Our view was of many palm trees/garden and of another building but it was in the closed section so we didn’t have anyone facing us. This gave us more privacy. Beyond the palm trees if you looked real hard, you could see the ocean and a little bit of the beach. I didn’t really care about this because we didn’t spend much time in the room anyway.
The room was exceptionally clean. We were greeted with a kissing-two-swan towel art sculpture with flowers that was incredible and a fruit basket with a bottle of champagne. The mini bar was fully stocked with Coke, Diet Coke, Orange Fanta, Modelo (beer), bottled water, peanuts and candy. It was restocked every day. We left a $2.00 (US dollars) tip with a note in Spanish asking for more beer and water and when we returned the fridge was so packed with water and beer the door could barely close! A little tip goes a long way here. We were sure to tip the maid as well. The bathrooms were full tile and granite and very clean. The balcony was very spacious. No complaints what-so-ever about the room.

Various hotels of the complex and Beaches:
Palace is the biggest, newest and holds the most privileges (use of all restaurants and facilities). The rooms are spectacular but in my opinion, the pools were no better than Colonial/Tropical (in fact, I liked Colonial/Tropical pools better) and the beach is very rocky near the Palace. The rocky beaches are beautiful but difficult to walk on. But, no big deal…just walk down towards Colonial/Topical or Beach/Caribe beaches. They’re much nicer and that is where the water sports are located. In my opinion, the Palace is not worth the extra cost. Exactly how much time do you spend in your room anyway? However… for the price difference, I do think Tropical/Colonial is worth the extra money over Beach/Caribe. That’s my opinion. Tropical/Colonial is in the center of the complex, closest to the theatre, main restaurant and water sports but pool areas are not as loud as they are in Caribe/Beach area as that is where they hold the pool activities. Beaches are less rocky and it is closer to the pier.

Beaches and Pools:
Cleaner than you could ever imagine. Incredibly beautiful. Ocean is crystal clear. You can go out so deep that you can touch the bottom and still see your toes! Beaches are spotted with palm trees that provide a surprisingly large amount of shade. Chairs in abundance on the beaches and around the pools, never an issue. Grounds are covered with lush tropical gardens and trees. Coconut and banana trees all over. They actually use these fruits on the restaurants. Iguanas all around. Pool area bars close earlier than I’d like but no big deal. Plan on lots and lots of walking... this place is enormous. No kidding. You’ll need some comfortable shoes. I came back with blisters on my feet! Some people wore aqua socks (swim shoes) in the ocean – not a bad idea. The rocks and coral can really cut up your feet. When you check in, you’ll either have beach towels in your room or you will get cards to get the towels near the pool. This is important to remember. You just trade your dirty towels for clean ones. When you check out, you must turn your towels in at the front desk. Guess they have to do this so folks don’t take them home!

Food & Drinks/Bars:
Buffett: We didn’t care for the food. This is NOT because the food was not “good”, it is simply because we are from another country and have differing taste. The food on the buffets was plentiful and beautifully displayed. There was a huge selection. The pastries and fruit carvings were like works of art. We tried so hard to love the food but didn’t. All the others guess seemed to really enjoy the food.
A La Carte: We made our first reservation at the seafood restaurant. We still didn’t care for the food. After that, we passed up on our other A La Carte reservations as we didn’t like having to stop our outdoor activities to shower and dress to make a reservation. We preferred to just eat at the beach side buffet on our own time. The best food I ate during my visit was the Guacamole (always available and wonderfully delicious) and the cream of oyster soup at the seafood restaurant. My husband loved the French toast at breakfast.

Drinks/Bars:
Many people on their review complained that the drinks were “watered down” or “weak”. My findings in this was… it all depends on the bartender, kind of drink you order and frankly, just a matter of personal opinion in how strong you like your drinks. We found the frozen mixed drinks were rather weak. All you have to do is tell the bartender to add more booze and they’ll give it to you. We tried a Mango Tango, Pina Colada and Margarita. They were okay but they were a bit too sweet for my liking. Back home, our drink of choice is Cuban Libre (Rum, lime juice and Coke). We found the fountain drinks to have a strange taste to them and the resort seemed to be lacking on gold rum. So after trying various drinks, we ended up sticking mainly with Mojitos (really good – try one!!) or Corona and tequila shots. Can’t go wrong with that! There are even self serve Corona taps everywhere so you can just help your self. Usually when we ordered tequila shots they would reach for the house tequila and we would just as for Jose Cuervo and they would serve it right up, no problem. We carried “Bubba Mugs” – they’re large insulated mugs with lids. These really came in handy. The bartenders had no problem filling them up with beer for us and it stayed cold for a long time. The glasses/cups they give at the outdoor bars are very small and the drink gets warm too fast. Sometimes I would fill it with ice water (I poured myself, bottled water). Be sure to tip your bartenders. They work very hard and really appreciate it.

Excursions:
Transportation out of the resort… You can walk out to the main street at the resort entrance and wait for the public transportation van “Collectivo” $3.00 US dollars (I might be off on this a bit) per person each way. We didn’t bother and just had the bell-hops call us a cab. $15 - $20 each direction depending on where you’re going.
We planned on going to Tulum to see the ancient ruins. Unfortunately, Tulum was closed the same week we were there. Bummer. Instead we went to Xel-Ha. ($75.00 US Dollars) per person for entrance; all inclusive. They provide all drinks (bars, water, sodas etc) food, towels and snorkel equipment. What we didn’t know is they hold $20.00 deposit per snorkel set but you get it back when you return your set. You have to have special sunscreen; you can buy it there or at the resort and take it with you. I think if all you have is regular sunscreen, they will make a trade with you but I’m not sure about that.
We snorkeled all around the lagoon. They have swimming with dolphins for a stiff additional charge, we opted out of that. They’ll take your picture with a parrot, iguana or toucan for $12.00! No Thanks! You could book the excursion to Xel-Ha that includes transportation for much more but we just too a cab ($18 each way) and were able to go and leave whenever we wanted to and it was still cheaper. Xel-Ha was beautiful, interesting and HOT! It was fun but I’m sure I would ever return. My husband had been to X-Caret before and thought there was more to do there, more worth the money.

Another day we took a cab to Playa Del Carmen. I highly recommend this. It was so interesting and quite an experience seeing a different part (non-resort) of Mexico, interact with the people, bartering on prices of jewelry, booze and cheesy souvenirs. We found a bar on the beach. Negotiated the price of a beer (paid $1.50 for Dos Equis) then someone at the bar bought us another. Don’t know why, didn’t ask!!! We enjoyed our drinks while looked at the beautiful blue water and watched the families playing together on the beach and the ferry going to Cozumel – which by the way you could see on the ocean horizon. We really enjoyed this and will go back on our next visit.

For free utilize the non-motorized water sports that are included in your price. You can parasail ($55 per person) which is an incredible experience we missed out on because we waited until our last day and then it was too windy, they wouldn’t take us out.

Overall:
Spectacular!! You simply cannot beat the value. You get so much for your money here. It is exceptionally clean and beautiful. Everyone is extremely courteous and willing to please. We had a wonderful time and can’t wait to return.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Best_For_Last_71

Boulder, CO
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I visit Mexico about twice a year. This trip was a graduation gift for my daughter's friend that graduated college. I chose this resort because I like Barcelo and it had many activities but since the flu hit the area is dead. Very little traffic in Playa del Carmen area, only the Colonial and Palace portions are open. We had such a great time with the staff and other guests of the resort but I wish more had been open. Everyone that is thinking of a beach vacation should go to Mexico, the impact the flu has had on this area is truly sad. Buffets were fine, right temperature and always fresh and the a la carte restaurants were good, we went to the Caribbean and French restaurants at the Palace. Since there was only one restaurant open in the Colonial area we got to go over to the Palace a la cartes for free. The cooks were wearing face masks which actually made me happy but no one else was wearing them except a few people at the airport. It's a beautiful resort and I will return someday. No bugs, friendly, helpful staff-Alberto at the pool bar is the BEST-clean rooms, beautiful beach, great pool...what more could you want? The mini bar was stocked daily but I had to put a small tip to make sure we got enough water but I didn't do it every day. I only like to tip if the service is good and for the most part it was really good.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends

#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!