“this is the place”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 7 December 2009

a five star and worth the upgrade price. excellent facilities, great buffet, all inclusive,good drinks.. Beach superb with many pools and lounges. a partially rocky beach but many places to enter the water, great snorkelling nearby. difficult for a partially disabled person as long distances to beach and dining. A very family place, many small children and their facilities are superb. No swinging singles here. do not bring Canadian $ as exchange is very poor, use U.S. $ there is 1 and ahalf hour bus ride from airport, usually provided by tour.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank borg2
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2016

On behalf of our hotel, we would like to thank you for coming to Barcelo Maya Colonial hotel; we also want to thank you for your significant opinion which is very important for us to improve our services and products .

we glad you have a good time during your vacations in our hotel.

we hope to have the privilege and the honor to share with you again soon.

jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Write a ReviewReviews (6,184)

Reviewed 7 December 2009

We had read many reviews and most of them were right on target. This place is nice, the grounds are beautiful, and all the public places are clean. The staff in the restaurants are terrific and helpful. The bar staff are ok. We were surprised that only local drinks are included. That was a downer for us. We stayed at the RIU last year and they offered international drinks at no extra cost. We thought the Barcelo was similar in expectations but I guess not. As a travel agent I need to observe these type of extras to pass on to my clients. And I'm sure most would have expected to get international drinks included the description "all inlcusive" gives that expectation. The lobby staff were pleasant and helpful.

We snorkled off the beach the first day here and got a picture of a stingray, right in front of us. We were very impressed. A couple we've met yesterday had swam near a turtle. In all our travels through out the Caribbean and Mexico we have always had to go on a tour and pay a good sum of money to see what we have seen for "free" at this resort right off the beach!! This has made our trip, and we still have 5 more days to go. The food has been very good, with plenty of options and things to choose from. I wish they chilled they're wine. It is room temp at best. If you want room service you have to pay for it and the internet is quite expensive starting at 3US per 15min. If you bring your own laptop you only pay 12 US for 24hrs but its a low signal and not always working. We needed it to chat with our kids so we went with the 24hrs.
Over all this is a nice resort, from what I can see anyone who brings small children, there are many activites for them as well. Also a really nice spray park. One other quick note is the pools, there are many to choose from and always lots of chairs. At night the trees are lit up and there are many paths that go through-out the resort that are nicely lit by little lights and the trees are beautiful. Its very romantic and they've gone above and beyond for the grounds keeping.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CanadianThunder

we glad you have a good time during your vacations in our hotel.

we hope to have the privilege and the honor to share with you again soon.

Reviewed 5 December 2009

My husband and I visited November 24 for 7 nights. We met good friends of ours that arrived the day prior. My initial impression was WOW! The grounds and facilities are amazing...beautiful spanish style and CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! We typically travel 3 times a year to upscale hotels in Mexico and the Carribean so I can say I have a lot of travel experience to compare the hotel to. Check in was a breeze, since it was a Tuesday there was no line. Our room was not ready yet and we decided to seek out our friends. The property is very large so at first we couldn't find our friends, so we decided to have lunch and head out to the pool.That is when I discovered how short handed on bartenders the property is. At first I thought it was no big deal, but after a week of waiting at least 20 minutes or more everytime you wanted a bottle of water or adult beverage it grew annoying. There was only 1 bartender for a huge bar that could have easily handled 3 bartenders. On several occassions we were trold to please wait a moment while the bartenders ran around the pool to collect used cups to wash so they could make a drink for us...CRAZY!!!! I honestly felt very sorry for them and was not made at them although several guests would let it out on the bartender. Anyway....

ROOMS: The rooms were adequate.The A/C worked well, however the electricity was motion activated so each night the fan and A/C would shut off while we were sleeping. Maid service was hit or miss. I don't think we had the same person each day because some days the room was much cleaner than others. Something thet shocked me was when our 2 travel mugs were STOLEN out of our room! We never even used them. I brought them from home , had them out on a table and on day 5 they dissapeared! I have NEVER had anything taken before in 35+ trips to Mexico or the Carribean.

RESTAURANTS: We ate ate the buffet for breakfast and sometimes for lunch. We also ate lunch at the restaurant near the pool. The best Pico de Gallo in the world!!!!
The a la cartes we ate at were the Japanese, Spanish, Steakhouse and Italian. The Japanese
and Spanish were by far our favorite! One thing I was shocked about was the quality of the beef. Often, it is fatty and like cardboard in Mexico...but at this property we LOVED it!!!
Service at the a la carte restaurants was great. We really enjoyed visiting them. Make you reservations the day you arrive because they fill up quickly.

BEACH: We went to the beach a few times, it is beautiful to look at. Be careful... the bottom has big dips and LARGE rocks that can do a number on your feet! I watched several people fall as they tried to get in/out of the water.

POOL: Pool area was very beautiful and clean. Water was on the cold side, but refreshing when you are hot.

EVENING ENTERTAINMENT: Shows rotate and begin at 9:30. Typical of shows in Mexico/ Carribean. Different themes with singing and dancing.

Overall, we enjoyed our vacation. The property is very lovely with potential to be wonderful!

3  Thank ellen0818

Dear Guest:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Reviewed 5 December 2009

We occupied Room 6426. The last night of our stay the roof over the shower caved in, depositing black mold. Black mold also was deposited on the bed pillows, apparently from the ceiling. We could smell something in the room.

We complained to the manager; they offered us a "great deal." But we didn't pursue that.

The indoor buffet we ate at was excellent, with a wonderful assortment of foods. However, we were unable to get a reservation to the specialty restaurants. They were full all the time. Maybe we should have booked reservations before we traveled?

Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Dixie6865

Reviewed 2 December 2009

This hotel is a very very nice place to go. The landscaping at this hotel is very well kept up. The buffet was great. Loads of different varieties of food for everybody. All the staff at this resort were very friendly. The snorkeling right in front of the hotel was perfect for seeing all kinds of marine life. Our first day out we saw 3 sting rays, a turtle and tons of multi-colored fish. It was like you are swimming in your own aqaurium!! Next day we saw a 4 foot baracuda and more sting rays.The mango margaritas were the best. Bring your own "Big Bubba" mug then you don't have to make as many trips to the bar for your favorite drink. The sand at the beach was like walking on flour. Very soft .The beds were hard like a rock!! I even checked to see if they were on a cement slab. The nightly shows could get a little racey for family viewing. The "Fantasia" musical was very well done though. The little shopping center at the front of the hotel has tons of different items to choose from and at not bad prices. It will cost $18 for a taxi to go shopping at Playa del Carmen. You are very safe at this hotel. I would not hesitate to recomend this hotel to anybody. We were there for a week and had a great time!!

4  Thank Iceman0660
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2016

Dear Guest,

Barceló Maya Colonial

Reviewed 29 November 2009

We stayed at the Barcelo Colonial Nov 21 to Nov 27. I was traveling with my husband and 14 year old daughter. The food was plentiful and good. We ate at the restaurant buffet, the grill and 2 specialty restaurants. Room was clean, beds and pillows were hard (typical of Mexico). Air worked well, plenty of water. We got the room we requested in a very good location.

Food -- we are not really picky about our food, but did enjoy the steaks at the steakhouse and the lobster at the seafood restaurant. I felt the food at the buffet was better than the other all inclusive resorts that we had stayed at. My daughter that doesn't care for exotic food, was thrilled with the grilled hamburgers, fries and ice cream at the grill.

Drinks -- we were never shorted on drinks and they certainly did not water them down. The bartenders at the pool bar didn't seem to be able to keep up when the bar got busy, but we did figure out that you can get beer or mix simple drinks (rum and coke) at the grill. They kept running out of plastic cups at the pool bar and I am not sure why that was happening since the resort did not seem to be that busy.

Nightly Entertainment -- we enjoyed the nightly entertainment at the theater the first couple of days, but then it seemed to be more and more of the same. They had a different theme each night, but the same singers and dancers night after night. One night was Latin, one night cuban, etc. They had one night of audience participation while we were there and we probably enjoyed that as much as anything. We tried the Jaguar club a couple of times and it was very loud and we didn't think much of the music (it was mostly techno).

Daytime Activities -- We did the catamarans a couple of times, did have to make a reservation, but didn't have any problems getting one if we went early to reserve. Kayaks and Water Trikes were easy to come by. The beach was nice, although you have to be careful of rocks in some areas. Lots of fish by the dock and in the ocean -- you can buy fish food at the beach store.

We were disappointed in the resort activities with the staff. We have stayed at other Barcelos and Iberostars and always had staff members talk to you and tried to the best of there ability to help you have a good time. The staff here was not rude, they just didn't seem to care. They would announce water volleyball or basketball over the loud speakers and be done with it.

We rented a car at the resort and drove to Coba one day. It was a fairly easy drive (about an hour with very little traffic). We paid $65 US for the car, which was less than the tours. $4 to park, $4 each to get in. Coba is not completely restored and was very interesting. It seems that some days they let you climb it and some days no -- we lucked out and were able to climb to the top. We rented bikes and enjoyed the ride.

Traveling with Small Children -- this resort probably has one of the best facilities for kids between the ages of 4 and 10. They have a kids club, special water park pool (slides, fountains) for younger kids, kids dance each night before the shows. Even special food at the buffet. Our kids would have LOVED this resort when they were younger.

Getting there -- we rented a private van through Cancun Valet (we used locogringo.com to find them). Price was the same as using a bigger company with none of the extra stops. They picked us up at the airport and was early to take us back. Trip was right at an hour each way. We have used them before and they are always great!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank BeachLover042

Reviewed 25 November 2009

My fiance and I went to this resort based on the recommendation of another couple that was there several years ago. We arrived and the Beach resort was closed for maintenance and we were upgraded to the Colonial. Our room was excellent. VERY clean with no musty smell. (Unlike so many other resorts in this region). They whole resort is very clean the gardens are beautiful. The are only a couple things that I could say made me not want to ever go back to this resort.

Upon looking at this resort online they said we have many a la carte restaurant to choose from. Upon arrival they were chosen for us. Italian, Seafood, Steak house. My fiancee can't even eat seafood. Upon talking to the girl she let us switch the Seafood but only swap it for the Spanish Restaurant.

Bars and restaurants and buffets. Excellent food in the buffets. Service was lacking sometimes we go through an entire meal and not get offered drinks or sometimes we would order drinks and they would never show up. The bars were so inconsistent some times youd get a good drink some times not. You could order a drink once go back a short while later and get we don't make that. Very frustrating. What the most frustrating issue we had was going to order a drink you might have a bartender waking by you 4 or 5 times ignoring you not serving any one and the finally on the 5th pass "can I help you?" Sometimes I would wait 10 minutes to asked to be served.

I would consider myself to be an above average tipper but when I found my tips didn't get me any better service and was presented with the poorest service I've ever had on a resort. I ended up not tipping (I don't tip for poor/non existant service) They apparently didn't notice because I just kept getting bad service. I saved over $150 in tips so I guess that was nice of them.

The steakhouse was excellent. Definitely the best steak I've ever had in Mexico. My fiancee had the Veal and it was 75% fat very poor. The staff was very good here. Thanks Jorge

The Spanish Restaurant was excellent as well. The manager checked in on us a couple times and was legitimately concerned about our dining experience.

We went to take water bikes out there were several available but the guys didn't feel like pulling them out. So we hung out for about a half hour until some came back.

We were looking for resorts for our wedding this will not be be the one.

1  Thank teebee79

#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#71 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!