“Wonderful Wedding in Paradise”

Barcelo Maya Colonial
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Wonderful Wedding in Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2010

I have previously posted a general review for the resort, which was absolutely wonderful, but I have received many emails with questions about our wedding so I wanted to post a wedding specific review for brides-to-be trying to plan their wedding at Barceló. Our wedding was around the time of the swine flu scare so our experience may have been different than the usual wedding protocol so please take that into consideration.

Destination wedding are so much fun, we are always getting compliments. The Barceló is a very large resort. The complex is split up into 3 areas; Beach/Caribe, Colonial/Tropical & Palace. This is great because it will allow your guests better selection for their budget. The beach/caribe is the least expensive and the Palace is the most expensive. We booked Colonial/Tropical and encouraged our guests to do the same. It is in the center of the hotel so it is easiest to get around and mid-range budget wise for our guests.
PLANNING & PACKAGES: Barceló will provide you with a wedding planner. They offered 6 different package options and your travel agent should be able to provide you with the pricing for these. They did not have restriction on wedding party size but each package varies with how many people it accommodates, along with the prices for each additional guest. Your wedding planner will get in touch with you before you arrive via email to get an idea of what you want.
DECISIONS: I was worried when the planner was asking me to make decisions before I had ever been there but don’t worry, you will meet with your wedding planner (usually the day after you arrive) and you will go over everything again and finalize the details. You will need to choose your date and time BEFORE you get there since there are limited times available.
FOOD: Your wedding coordinator will send you your menu options before you arrive and ask you what you want. You will finalize your dinner menu after you arrive; we went with steak which was really good, one of the best meals we had at Barceló. For the cake we went with vanilla on one layer and pineapple on the other. The cake was not anything extravagant but it worked just fine for smashing into each other’s face! It was pretty tasty too!
FLOWERS: The coordinator will have you will look through a photo book of optional flower arrangements to see if there is one you like. If you already have something in mind, bring pictures and I’m sure they will do their best to re-create it, they are very accommodating. I just told them my colors (coral & Ivory) and I let them decide on the arrangement for me and they turned out perfect.
TIES: You will also verify what color of ties you want (on your chairs), we went with ivory. They asked us before-hand what we wanted but we were asked again when we met with the coordinator. I’m not sure if they would be less flexible to change if the resort was at full capacity so I wouldn’t suggest picking anything you may want to change later.
TABLES: They will ask if you want a few round/rectangular tables or one large rectangular table for your reception. We had about 30 guests so we went with one long table so everyone felt included.
LOCATION: The wedding planner will send you photos and ask you to pick which location you want, which can be stressful since the photos don’t really show you what it is like. To be honest, all of the beach locations are beautiful, you can’t go wrong. When we met with the coordinator she showed us the different beach site options for the ceremony and let us choose which one we liked best. But again, at full capacity they may not be as flexible. We chose the beach in front of the grill (closer to the palace side) and had our ceremony at 5:00. For the reception, we were lucky enough to be offered the grill as our venue because it closes at 5:00. I would definitely see if this is an option for you! She showed us the banquet hall where the reception usually is; it was a nice air-conditioned room, but lacked the whole beach theme we were going for. If you can afford it, spend the extra money and rent the grill! The thatched roof, burnt orange tile floors and beach ambience really made our reception special.
REHEARSAL: If you want a rehearsal before you walk down the “aisle”, you have to request it. We did not do the rehearsal and they walked us through it as we went and everything was perfect but they are willing to do a rehearsal upon request. Your wedding coordinator will meet you in your room 15-20 minutes before “go” time and she will take you to the beach and brief you on everything. It seems a little crazy but it works just fine!
PHOTOS: The Ceremony was followed by cocktail hour from 5:30-6:30 before the seated dinner/reception. This is the time when you will go off with your photographer to do your pictures. We did bring our own photographer and for us it was well worth the extra money, I couldn’t be more pleased with our photos. To see additional wedding photos and more photos of the hotel please message me and I will send you a link to our photo share site.
HAIR/MAKEUP: Barcelo does have staff available for hair/makeup and some of the packages include this service. I chose to bring my own hair/makeup stylist so I cannot comment on the quality of this service but I did see other brides around the resort and they looked wonderful.
MUSIC: For the reception bring an iPod with music of your choice and put your maid of honor in charge of this. They will provide the sound system for you.
WAIT STAFF: The staff did a great job with keeping everyone happy and entertained. They were constantly pouring champagne/wine and making everyone shots. Everyone had such a great time! They were good about keeping us on track too, reminding us to cut the cake and whatnot. Everything was great!

A FEW OTHER SUGGESTIONS/TIPS:
USE A TRAVEL AGENT: Although it may be cheaper to book online, a lot of your guests may not be too familiar with travel. By going through an agent your guests should be able to make payments rather than paying the whole amount to book. The agent will also make sure that transportation to/from the airport is arranged for everyone in your party which some guests may forget about. Another benefit of a travel agent is in case something happens and people need to reschedule or change anything they will take care of it. A lot of our flights were canceled due to the swine flu outbreak and all we had to do was tell our agent and she took care of the re-booking at no extra cost. Otherwise we would have had to wait for our refund which would take weeks on top of re-booking our flight. You just never know what could happen.
CREATE A WEDDING WEBSITE: Many of your guests will want constant information from you, and you have bigger things to worry about! If you have a website you can refer them there for additional information. We used ewedding.com for our website. You get to pick your own website address name, style, etc and you can add tons of information. They have examples you can see if you go to their website. We also sent out “Save the Date” cards with our website information and an engagement photo (well, we actually sent picture magnets so people could keep them on their fridge).
BRING “THANK YOU” BAGS FOR YOUR GUESTS: We did one bag per room and included things like first aid kit, sewing kit, hand sanitizer, tums, advil, blow up beach volley ball, and any other fun things your guests might like. Also include a welcome letter and itinerary that will let them know what your plans are for the duration of the trip and remind them to book their dinner reservations ASAP. We let our guests know which reservations we had made in case they wanted to dine with us. If you are going to do gift bags for your guests consider sending the items to Barceló in the mail beforehand. We were stopped at the airport and had to empty out our luggage (HUGE PAIN!) and explain why we had so much merchandise which was difficult since we don’t speak Spanish. They ended up having us pay taxes on the stuff (not much, like $20) but it was a huge hassle and put a damper on the beginning of our vacation.
GO CHEAP ON YOUR DRESS: Don’t spend too much money on your dress; unless you have a large budget or if the dress is very important to you. Your dress is going to get dirty. You are walking around in the sand/dirt; twigs and other debris are getting tangled in it, etc. If you spend a lot on it you will be worried, spending a large portion of you time holding it up, and won’t have as much fun. My dress is an Amy Michelson INSPIRED dress. I tried on the real thing at a dress store, and then found a company on eBay to make it for me for $165!
TIP: If you like to tip for good services, which I do, have someone in your party make sure they bring some money to tip the staff that helps at the reception. They did such a great job and I didn’t have any money in my dress to tip with.
UNITY SAND CEREMONY: We did a unity sand ceremony in lieu on the traditional candle lighting ceremony. We brought 2 different colors of sand (Brown & Tan) and poured them into one container while the best man read the meaning of the ceremony (I provided). It created a really cool keepsake and the meaning of the ceremony is really nice. Look it up online if you’re interested! WARNING: The unity sand ceremony was great but it didn’t travel as well as we had hoped. We didn’t bring enough sand to fill the vase up the whole way so on the morning we were leaving we went down to the beach and put more sand in it so it wouldn’t mix up but unfortunately once the added sand settled in our suitcase is wasn’t as tightly packed as before and the design from when we poured it got messed up. I’m not sure if they’d let you carry it on the plane but if you can I would recommend doing that. If not just make sure you bring enough sand and bring tissue paper (like you use in presents) to stuff in the vase during transportation.
HAIR: Don’t wear your hair down! It is breezy and I suggested to my bridal party not to wear it down but they didn’t listen and half of the pictures they are in they are either brushing it out of their faces or it’s just flying around. The breeze is great, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not good for your hair/pictures.
IDEA: Just an idea; we wrote “Thank You” in the sand and had a photo taken of us by it. Then we had postcards of the photo printed off and used those for our thank you cards. Everyone loves them and compliments us on the unique idea. Plus it goes with the destination theme!
BRIDALS: If you’re planning on having your bridal pictures done at the resort don’t do them the same day as your wedding. Time will fly by and it will be time to walk down the aisle before you know it! My photographer went into Playa Del Carmen and found a cool place he wanted to shoot at and so we did that a few days after the wedding.

Sorry for the information overload! Let me know if you have any additional questions. We had such a positive experience with Barceló, I couldn’t be happier. Also, there seems to be a lot of information on www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com, including discussion boards, package pricing, menus, etc. all dedicated to the Barceló Maya resort.

• Stayed May 2009
14 Thank bpatterson888
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 5 October 2016
Dear Guest:

On behalf of Barcelo Maya Colonial staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us. I can see you and your family have enjoyed every time you spend.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one.

jeferecepcolonial@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
coloradojess
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2010

My husband and I made our first trip to Mexico for our honeymoon and selected the Barcelo Maya Colonial as our destination.We booked through Apple Vacations and ended up with a severe delay (7 + hours) to start out the vacation. Not ideal.

ARRIVAL: However all was well once we arrived at the Barcelo. We were checked in rather quickly. Our room was clean; the refrigerator was stocked with soda and beer.

FOOD: The food at the Barcelo was great, we had no complaints, in fact my husband still raves about the choices of salsa. We ate ala carte two nights--we chose the steakhouse and Japanese hibachi. We though both were good although the Hibachi was a slightly better quality of food. We didn’t realize that we could’ve booked more ala carte dinners because were given extra ala carte cards we regretted not asking about this.

BARS: We spent many nights at the Havana Lounge. The bartenders Jose and Oscar were fabulous! They mixed drinks the way you want them, ask them for shots! They get very creative. There is a gal in the Havana each night selling cigars my husband was a big fan. The lobby bar is very nice for a pre-dinner drink. The pools bars have self serve beer, be sure to bring some type of bubba mug as the cups they give you are small. We did check out the Disco and weren’t all that impressed, outdated music and empty.

BEACH: FANTASTIC! The beach in front of the colonial is the best area for swimming -- very few rocks. Off the pier there are tons of fish I suggest swimming with them it was quite enjoyable. My husband and I did some snorkeling; it was wonderful being able to do this for free right on the resort. My husband saw a sting ray! Take the time to walk down in front of the Caribe to take advantage of the water sports. The sea kayaks and tricycles were fun. My husband took windsailing lessons and had a great teacher who was extremely patient. We never had trouble getting beach chairs. They offered beach volleyball every day; it was a great way to make friends. If you are an earlier riser I suggest walking to the buffet, asking for a café Americano, and making your way to the beach for a nice long walk this is also the best time to pick up seashells.

POOL: The pools are beautiful however we didn’t spend much time in them. Why swim in the pool when you could be swimming in the ocean?!

EXCURSIONS: We elected to take our own excursion to Tulum. We did not want to deal with time restrictions. We were able to catch a taxi with other Barcelo guests at the entrance to the resort. I believe it was $7/8 per person each way. It was very convenient and safe. If you have a chance to go to Tulum do it! The ruins were fascinating. The beach at the ruins was breathtaking. Everyone was bodysurfing (the waves were bigger than what we experienced at the resort) when you felt a big wave coming there were excited shouts in many different languages.

I could sing praises all day about the Barcelo and this area of Mexico!
Enjoy.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank coloradojess

British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2010

My partner and I just returned from a week long vacation at this favulous resort. The beach is beautiful, good service, above average (for an all-inclusive) food.
We spent most of our time on the beach, and didn't have any difficulty finding lounge chairs. We had the 'relaxation massage" at the spa-well worth the money!
Well equipped fitness area.
Very large resort-so be prepared to do a lot of walking (however, there is a tram that takes you to each resort in the Barcelo resort)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jdt1971

Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2010

Let me start my review by saying that I can only comment on the colonial/tropical portion of the resort. We had our 3 year old with us which limited what we wanted to do. We still had one of the best vacations ever.

Arrival:
We used Cancun Valet for the one hr transfer from the airport to the hotel. They waited for us despite the delay. they quickly wisked us away to a private air conditioned vehicle that took us directly to the resort. BEST 145 bucks ever spent. (they picked us up and brough us back to the airport too!) They also brought a car seat for my daughter. I was very please. Upon arrival, the bellboy quickly gathered our bags and we checked in. We had requested a king bed, 2nd or third floor; we got the exact opposite, however Carlos one of the managers was very understanding and said that if we bring our bags back down first thing in the morning we could have the first available 2nd or 3rd floor room. this request was granted.

Our first room was in the colonial section of the hotel on the first floor. the first floor room we had smelled a little musty, but nothing horrible. It was clean and tidy. The second room we had was a third floor room and it had no smell at all- we were able to leave the balcony door open pretty much 24/7 (I hate air conditioners in the room!) When the doorwall is open- the air goes off.. simply as that. TV has inputs on the front so you can hook up your portabel DVD if you'd like. (I forgot our cords)

Our bags were brought up promptly after we went up to the room. Please be aware- the bellboys do not have keys to the room, you must be there to let them in. he maids and the guys who stock the bar are really the only people who come and go from your room.

Grounds:
Simply GORGEOUS and FLAWLESS. My goodness they were so CLEAN- ALL THE TIME! I cannot express this enough- the pools, the walkways- heck even the beach is COMBED each morning!!! It was totally paradise.

Food:
Great variety, a little of everything.... if you are super picky then of course you will probably not like the fact that the pizza doesn't taste like the pizza here etc.. LET IT GO. Find something you can eat or stay home. Theresa us always a variety fo fresh fruits, veggies, breads.. and a ton of other options from sushi to soup, some of the best fresh salsa ever. You won't go hungry.

Drinks: I'm not a picky person... but the drinks were really bad in my opinion. everything with tequila tasted the same "sour and alcohol" I didn't mind too much- but the drinks here do not come close to the once I have had on cruises or in local bars at home. they do not use quality liquor for the free drinks.. you can pay an upcharge for top shelf stuff if you are not club premium or staying at the palace.

Workers:
Wonderful wonderful people. Treat them the way YOU'D like to be treated! I saw some woman being SO RUDE in the gift shop to the girl behind the counter. I almost smacked that guest... what horrible person! I apologized to the girl working there for her behavior and said that the woman was "loco!!"

other observations:
You will walk more than you have ever walked in your whole life. If you have a child who is willing to sit in a stroller... find a way to bring it- I wish I had.
bring bandaids if you have little one or new shoes- blisters happen fast!
My calves ached after a couple of days (and I work out!) wear your tennis shoes sometimes if you have them.
Xcaret is a great park.. if you just want to go for a few hours it is 69 dollars per person with nothing else included... you can take stuff with you from the resort in a backpack- then don't check your bags and then you don't have to spnd more money while you are there.
I brough extra ziplock bags- they are a lifesaver.
BRING A BIG MUG. drink melt fast, and they are small and it does take a while to get a drink at the main beack bars. Not enough staff... isn't the bartenders fault- they work with what they are given.
Lobby bar has the best drinks.
There are TONS of smokers.. you cannot seem to escape them. at the pool seems to be the worst, but it is a bit better on the beach.
The beach is wonderufl- HOWEVER there are some sneaky boulder type rocks that could ruin your day if you trip over them.. they are sand colored and in the ocean.. pay attention.

All in all this was a wonderful resort. IF you go looking for problems, you will find them. If you go like you are staying at a good friends house who is doing thier best to accomodate you, you will have a great time. Be kind to people, learn a few spanish words, be graceous, and use your manners. I found nothing worth complaining about.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
8 Thank theresa7576
Dear GUest:

I appreciate your positive notes about the Hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the services that we offer.
I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Best Regards,
Rocky Mountain House, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2010

We left out of Edmonton on a snowy, cold morning with no sleep. No one could sleep on the plane either. The sun came up or we went into the sun fairly quickly and the view was nice out of the plane window for most of the way. We landed in Cancun airport in clouds and the weather report said it was to be rainy all week. Well, it cleared off shortly after we landed and it was hot at the airport... and wet. I think we all loved that after coming from about -20 to +25C or so. We avoided the time share people at the airport pretty good even though it was, for some of us, the first trip of the like. Oh and we mostly all got green lights at the security checks! Turned out some of us did not fill our papers out fully but we were given an opportunity at the airport to fix it. We got on the bus and got a cervesa (beer) fairly soon. Needed that because of the heat! The bus ride was fairly long to the hotel but we were all in awe looking at the scenery on the way anyway. When we arrived at the resort we were given a welcome drink which was delicious. Check-in was quite fast so we hurried to the room, dropped our luggage, changed to warm weather clothes, and almost ran to the swim-up bar. As soon as the kids got there we went down to the big beautiful beach and got in the very warm sea, playing in the waves and the sand. We could not have been happier than this. On the following days we went to Xel Ha where 7 of our group did the Dolphin swim. I recommend that one! it was 50 minutes with every activity you could think of with those magnificent creatures. The snorkeling there was great too! We also went to Tulum but not on the same day as Xel Ha because you need more time than that at Xel Ha for sure and maybe Tulum too! Do them separate. At the resort the wildlife right there at the beach is fantastic. you don't have to go far for great snorkeling. There was fishof all kinds, corals, urchins, and even a sea turtle swam by. Food was the best at this resort with such a variety at the buffet's, we did not even try the alacarte's at all. Service was wonderful as well everywhere on the resort. Thanks to Jose at the Dinner Buffet for making our time there fun and enjoyable. They were all especially good on Vera's birthday supper, throwing her a great party. I always want to learn something about sailing and they provide a crash course included with the stay. Although it was too calm that day I still learned about it and took the hobie cat out the next day when there was wind. That was excellent and I really want to do more of that in the future trips! The whole trip was FANTASTIC! Thanks to Barcelo!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank crichar1
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Colonial, responded to this review, 6 October 2016
Dear Guest:

Is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay, also thank you for take your value time to share with us your experience, was an honor to have had the opportunity to serve you, we hope to receive you once again very soon.

Best Regards.
Saskatoon SK Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2010

We spent 2 weeks at this resort, 5 Star all the way, absolutely beautiful beach with snorkling right there. The pool was large with enertainment every day but we are beach people so we didn't spent much time there. The food was great. The buffets had a good variety and I couldn't believe that there were lobster tails twice at the dinner buffet. There was never a problem getting reservations to the restaurants which were fabulous. The grounds were beautiful, the rooms were clean, there were always people cleaning throughout the hotel. The hotel staff were always friendly and helpful. The bar service was a little slow , maybe could use a few more bartenders. We checked out the other hotels on the resort other than the Palace and I think ours the best. I would definately come back to this resort.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Regina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2010

We went to a wedding with about 50 other people and stayed for two weeks. The Resort is beautiful and well taken care of. When you book Prestige Class it is no different from regular class as we found out we got turn down service four time out of the 14. They also had trouble leaving towels more then once. the food was great at every restaurant we ate at. The two major problems we had were with the bar service very very slow. I don't know if it is intentional or just not caring. Also the beds are so hard it felt like we were sleeping on the floor. The wedding was great the wind was a problem but the people taking care of it bent over backwards to make it in joyable.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,004 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#72 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,563 reviews

Been to Barcelo Maya Colonial? Share your experiences!