“A good stay with a few wrinkles...”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Windsor, Canada
“A good stay with a few wrinkles...”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Our family (two boys aged 7 and 10 and my husband and I, late 30s) stayed at the Barcelo Maya Tropical from March 11-18. Here's what we thought:

Pros:
-Beautiful, stunning grounds.
-A number of bars, buffets and shops conveniently available.
-Always hardworking and friendly staff.
-Food was good and enough of a variety for everyone.
-Beach was beautiful.
-Chairs were plentiful at the beach.

Cons:
-We had a room with two double beds - I found the double bed to be too small. I knew they were double beds when I booked the room, but I will never sleep in a double bed again! The beds were terribly uncomfortable and hard, and the comforter was stained and dirty.
-When we arrived, we were assigned 4 a la carte dinners (even though our vacation package included a la carte dinners for every night of our stay). We did not have a choice in the restaurant nor the times. When we tried to change some of our assigned dinners, on three separate occasions, we were able to switch one a la carte dinner, and nothing else could be changed. We found this annoying.
-Chairs by the pool were very limited as people place towels very early in the morning (possibly late at night) and spots were all taken. If you are not at the pool by 7 am, you may not find a seat.
-We were surprised that there was no pool side wait staff since the resort we stayed at last year had pool side wait staff. Perhaps the resort is too large?

Overall, we had a pleasant experience; however, we don't think that we will return to this resort.

Room Tip: We asked for a room on the third floor to help with noise levels.
1 Thank jx2smom
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, 12 June 2016
Dear jx2smom,

We would like to thank you for the great explanation of Barcelo Maya Tropical you have written; we really appreciate your time, thank you for mention so many details for our future guests to make their stay easy! Your comments are very important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.
We look forward to welcome you again in May, thank you very much for your kindest comments.
Warmest Regards.
gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Our family of 4 thoroughly enjoyed our March Break at the Barcelo Tropical. The property is beautiful and constantly being tended. The staff worked hard to keep everything in order. Our room was okay, although it was probably one of the furthest from the beach...we should have asked for one closer. Also, we had asked for interconnecting rooms and the front desk did not even look into it for us. There were a couple of glitches with the clock radio, A/C unit, fan. The beach was beautiful, soft white powder, but we did have to watch for the odd rock and coral on our way in. Over by the Palace there is a reef to snorkel around out by the buoys...it is not uncommon to find seaturtles also just off the Palace beach. The chaises by the Tropical and Colonial pool were largely all claimed for by 6:30am! Fortunately I woke early most mornings because of the time difference and spread out our towels, then went for a stroll before it got too hot. There was never any issue with chaises once your towels or some personal effect was on them. Keep track of your towels as everyone is assigned one towel card for one towel and you are expected to hand them in at the end of your stay. A couple of excursions worth mentioning: Tulum! and maybe a local Cenote to cool off afterwards (we tried cenote Azul almost right across the road from the Barcelo ($6pp)...it was gorgeous, and quiet, a popular spot for local families) We also did a snorkeling excursion from the Barcelo pier to swim with seaturtles and rays and also a second stop at the 'Lagoon', just north of the Palace. Definitely worth it. My son (age 16) got his PADI dive certification while we were there and I was very impressed at the level of professionalism that the dive center showed. The food was good and plentiful, although I was longing for a really good chocolate dessert by the time I got home. We really enjoyed the a la carte restaurants esp. the Mexican and Italian. It was very difficult to get into the Steak house. Book your restaurants in advance so that you can try them all. The spa was also a treat for my daughter and I. We are already talking about going back. There are still parts of the Riviera Maya we would still like to see (eg. Coba, gran cenote, Xel Ha, Xplor)

Room Tip: Everything in Mexico is negotiable...so ask for a room closer to the beach, and a garden view.
2 Thank TorontoMich
Dear TorontoMich,
We really appreciate your kind review regarding your last visit, thank you also for being our guest. We want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve.
Thank you very much for recommending Barcelo Maya Tropical.
Afton, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 March 2012

We have vacationed in Mexico for the last seven years and have stayed at several different All- Inclusive Hotels. The Barcelo Tropical was by far the worst experience we have had! We stayed at Barcelo Tropical for a week in March; upon check in we found the front desk staff (mainly the "Managers") to be very un-helpful. We inquired about upgrading to an ocean view room and found it would cost an extra $700. They showed us the room, there were towels on the floor to catch the water dripping from the air conditioning unit in the ceiling and there was no ocean to be seen only palm trees and a basketball court. The food was very disappointing; all the buffets they offered at the resort complex have the exact same food! And it was of poor quality! The waiter at the "Italian Restaurant" told us not to drink the house wine because people were getting sick from it (it smelled like paint), we had to pay extra for a decent bottle of wine in an "all inclusive". I went to the front desk to get a bottle of water and the "Manager" grabbed my wrist and said my wrist band was too loose, he proceeded to cut it off and made me wait 10 minutes while he found my information to make sure I was actually a "guest there" in order to give me a new wristband. Several of the pool side bartenders seemed to be put out when we asked for drinks they were extremely unfriendly and we never once heard “thank you” even with a tip! All drinks were made with low quality, very watered down alcohol unless you paid extra for a special wristband that would then allow you to get a decent drink.

Room Tip: Rooms have humidity problem very musty
2 Thank SCOTT J
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, 10 June 2016
Dear Scott J,

We would like to apologize for the bad image left on your past holidays, we mean no disrespect, we know it has take so long to answer you but trully apologize.

Barcelo Maya Beach Resort has improve facilities and services. We have different management as well. We will be very happy if you choose us for another trip.

Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The property was nice; however, our room was very disappointing. It was a non-smoking room; however, smelled very musty/dirty. The couch and pillows on the couch were so filthy and stained; smelled liked sweat (body odor) and we did not even sit on it. The bed cover smelled horrible; our pillows were lumpy and smelled disgusting also. We called the front desk and had the pillows replaced, which helped greatly. The maids did not tear off the bedding and have the linens cleaned when requested. The mattresses were very hard..like sleeping on the floor, and the floors were never swept. It was just not a comfortable retreat to come back to after an outing for the day, or from on the beach. Sleeping well on your vacation (7 nights) is a huge part of feeling rested overall on your vacation.

Room Tip: We had friends stay at the Palace; however, their beds were uncomfortable as well. Not sure if we w...
2 Thank Maile1
Dear Maile1,

We really appreciate the time taken to write about us on Trip Advisor, we would like to thank you for sharing your impressions regarding your visit at Barcelo Maya Tropical. We appreciate your kind comments and recommendations.

Warmest Regards,
Toronto
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Our extended family of 11 (grandparents, 2 families, 5 kids ages 5 - 17), stayed at the Tropical from March 9 - 17. This was the 3rd visit for my family (5 of us, kids ages 10 - 15), first visit for everyone else. Previously, we stayed at the Colonial and the Caribe. We had a terrific time - so don't be distracted by the negative start to the trip.

Check In: Check in went smoothly and quickly however, none of our room requests had been granted. I had posted on their Facebook page - and received a response. Also, I had received an email response from the reservation desk - so I know that they received the requests. I was reasonable in that I didn't expect all requests to be granted - but not one request was granted: all 4 rooms had double beds (we had hoped for one or 2 king rooms), no connecting rooms - despite traveling with children, and we were very close to the theatre (could hear it in our rooms). The grandparents could watch the show from their balcony - meaning that they couldn't go to sleep until it was over (10:30 ish).
On the plus side - we had checked in on a Friday, and Saturday is their big "turn over day" so they offered to move our rooms on Saturday. However, once unpacked - we didn't want to bother. I was disappointed - but now it was time to move on....

Rooms / Beds: Hard beds BUT - if you look under the mattress, there is a pillow-top cover for the bed. Put it on top - they'll make it up and it makes a big difference. The couch was made into a day bed and our 15 year old daughter slept comfortably on it the whole time. Rooms were cleaned daily and bar restocked. Our fan didn't work - but the AC worked well, so it was fine.

A La Cartes: Right after check in, I made reservations for our last night for all 11 of us at the steak house. They couldn't seat 11 of us together - so we did 6 and 5 (adults and kids) and we decided that it worked out for the best. As adults, we had a terrific time and we let the kids go when they were done (old enough to take care of each other). That was a terrific meal and they made a special small cake presentation for my mother in law's birthday - with champagne as well. Great way to finish our stay. Various members of our group also ate at the Seafood and Italian restaurants. Everyone enjoyed the dinners and the food.

Buffets: Despite how full the resort was, we always found a table for all of us, except one time for lunch at a beach grill - so we moved to the main buffet in the lobby. I never had to wait for more than 2 or 3 people at the omelet station, crepe station, smoothy bar in the morning, etc. If there is a line, look on the other side. The pasta station would sometimes have a line up, but not unreasonable for a buffet. We all enjoyed the food selections - everyone loved the breakfasts especially, and the fresh bread selection.

Pool / beach area: The resort was very full. The Tropical is definitely the "party" area. Lots of spring breakers having fun, lots of resort-led activities in the pool, music, etc. We just set up closer to the Colonial or at the beach. The resort is large enough that you can find a place that makes you happy. The 5 year old enjoyed the kids programs at various times during the trip. The older kids just kept themselves busy: snorkeling, playing in the sand / ocean / waves / pool, getting drinks from the bar, playing bocce, chess, etc. The pool water was the warmest it's ever been - thanks to the weather: hot and sunny. I think it rained twice for 2 minutes the entire week. Despite the weather forecast calling for rain every day.

Beaches: the best area for kids is in front of the Caribe / Beach section. Sand is smoother, less rocks in the water, more swimming area. The best snorkeling is in front of the Palace: we say rays, turtles and lots of fish. So - being at the Tropical was nice as we were right in the middle.

Towel Game: We did have to "claim" loungers early in the am (we only claimed 6 for our group of 11). All chairs were claimed by 8:00 am - at the Colonial and Tropical. However, we could always find chairs at the beach in front of the Caribe section - which has the nicer beach for the kids.

Off resort activities: we walked across the street to visit Cenote Azul - a favourite for everyone (jumping off a cliff into the water), and Kantun Chi Eco park (too expensive - stick to Azul). We love that you can visit these cenotes - within walking distance. Another day, our group split into two outings: 6 of us went Ek Balaam: fabulous ruins that you can climb on, riding bikes through the jungle to a cenote with ziplines, rappelling, rope swing, etc. The other 5 visited Tulum. We hired a private car instead of traveling with a tour. We all had a great time.

Scuba / Dive Shop: One of the biggest pluses for this resort is the on-site dive shop. Two of my kids were signed up for a scuba dive. My daughter didn't feel well one morning, so I walked to the dive shop at 7:45 and they let me reschedule her 8am dive to another day. If we had booked off-site, that would not have been possible.

Drinks: I'm not picky - I just enjoy any fun cold beverages during the day. However, my brother in law said that the drinks served at the Tropical bars were much better than those served at the Caribe bar. We weren't club premium but my father in law requested specific brands for his drinks and never had a problem.

Summary - we keep returning as I can't find a resort with better pools / beach / kids water area, etc for anywhere near the same price. We LOVE that the beach and pools are so close together. It's a huge resort but doesn't feel that way because of the great layout. There is so much to do - even just walking around. Personally - if I booked again, I would book Club Premium at the Caribe. That would guarantee a better room, I like the quieter atmosphere and the beach there better - but we would pay to upgrade a la cartes to the Steak House and Seafood. Likely, the kids would hang out at the pool and water park at the Colonial.

Room Tip: They do not guarantee room requests. It all depends on when you check in. Despite traveling with c...
1 Thank katiekinsmom
Dear katiekinsmom,
We would like to thank you for the time taken to write the explanation of Barcelo Maya Tropical, we are lucky to have you as our guest, we want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously since these show us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve. We really appreciate your review.
Thank you very much for your recommendation. We look forward to host you.
Victoria,Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here from feb 25 to Mar 10,2012.We had a very relaxing vacation.We had stayed at the Beach resort 2 years ago and question if it is worth the extra cost in staying at the Tropical.There did not seem much difference in quality.On arriving we found the safe did not work,we requested and were given another room and we found the safe locked.We had to wait until the following morning to get it reset.The weight scales did not work either.There was no fan in the bathroom so we had to use the hair dryer to clear the bathroom mirror.The room was very clean and housekeeping were very good,kept the mini bar stocked with bottled water.
Nice touch of chocolates on the bed in the evening.The beds were like sleeping on concrete,both my wife and myself had backaches every morning.We found it quit noisy.I wish people would learn to close there door quietly instead of trying to rip it off it hinges.
The buffet food was fairly good and most of the wait staff were very good although one
evening we had to wait virtually 15 minutes for anyone to bring wine and water.We found the restaurants very good,Capri was our favourite and Santa Fe not so good,I asked for a gin &
tonic and was hard pressed to taste any gin at all.There were too many kids at the resort for our liking but overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kcanuck
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, 15 May 2016
Dear: kcanuck

We look forward to host your family again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back as we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities.

OGDEN
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Have been coming to the Maya Beach since 2005 and have upgraded to the Tropical Maya the last few years. Resort consists of 5 lobbies, all connected.
Maya Beach, Maya Caribe, then step up to Maya Colonial, Maya Tropical and the the Maya Palace. If you stay at the palace then you can use all resorts bars, etc. stay at the Colonial or Tropical and use the Maya Beach and Caribe.
I brought a group of 22 couples here in February and I think everyone was quite happy with facilities, restaurants, bars, beach, shows. Alot to do and enjoy at this resort. First time that I have seen this resort totally full, we did have to walk down the beach a little to find lounge chairs but not a big problem!
Overall, this resort has kept there grounds and facilities in great shape!!
As a travel agent, I recommend this property to alot of my clients.
Singles, couples, family!!!

Room Tip: They do have family suites with kitchens. Don't know why you would want a kitchen though, buff...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear: Judyt-12

We really appreciate your loyalty to Barceló Maya Tropical. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, your scores and recommendations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#78 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!