“Wonderful vacation”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
new jersey
“Wonderful vacation”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Its one of the best hotels i've stayed in. The rooms, common areas, and landscaping are all wonderful. The place is beautiful. Very pretty and a pleasure to experience. Very important to me is cleanliness and the hotel doesnt dissapoint at all. Staff works very hard is very helpful and atentative with anything you ask. There is some language issues with some and thats to be expected but when talking with anyone of authority it is just fine.

The Tropical/Colonial (two sister halves of one hotel) is the middle set of three sets of hotels. 5 in all. The place is large but not overwhelmingly so. You will have to do some walking but its such a pleasant enviornment that it makes it feel nice to do so. You can rome around all the resorts but there really is no reason to do so other than to enjoy scenery because all you need and all you want is within each section and plenty large. Staying in this middle resort offers you fine dining and all uses of anything in the tropical/colonial of course but also in the beach/caribe sections as well but just not the Palce section. We opted for the club premium and it was worth it. More fine dining options. nightly turn down service, top shelf liquor, in room pool towles and more etc.

Been to many all inclusives and I have to say that food is ususally not too good and just Ok at best and nothing to brag about at all. I usually expect "OK" at best and dont usually comment on food much but i have to talk about it here as barcelo suprised us. The food at Barcelo maya was really good. Brekfast always great. eggs/omlets to order. Everything you can imagine and all good. The main buffet area is nice looking rstaraunt and linen table cloths etc. We dined at five of the A la cart restaraunts 6 of the 7 nights. One of the benefites of club premium. Italian, seafood, steakhouse, and japanese all located in the Tropical/colonial and the spanish place located in the beach/caribe section. We were 8 people and eight of us over six nights is 48 meals and only three dishes had to go back due to problems. That is a great ratio not only for an all inclusive but just in general anywhere. But most important is that the food wasnt just OK, it was really good and it just made everything that much more enjoyable.

The entertainment at the theater every nigt was very enjoyable. The dancers, singers performers, and talent was above all other all inclusives we've been to. No its not broadway but i have to say it seems some of them are certainly striving to become such. It wasnt just the entertainment team from the pool area as with other inclusives and they were clearly steps up from that peformance wise. However they could have in my opinion had much more audience participitation. In any case it kept you entertained and made the evenings very enjoyable with something to do. The big problem was that the theater was outdoors under a roof of course but it was just unbearably hot and humid. One of the enormous cieling fans (I mean huge) was broken and unles you wrwe lucky enough to be under the other one it was absoluety dreadful to sit there. One night we had a good breeze and made it comfortable. They cant control weather but all other places i've been had an indoor air conditioned theater and why they dont have one is beyond me. Everything else is done so great but this is clearly a bad decision. The theater is nice but unless its breezy and even a tad cooler it almost becomes unbearable. Its a shame because the shows are good but this can ruin it and we had to leave twice because of it.

The pools are beautiful, very large, plenty chairs, not crowded, well maintained etc. You will not have issues finding chairs especially if your a small group. You may not sit exactly where you want but will not have a problem to sit. Being 8 of us i did get out early and save some chairs. i would save 5 chairs in a spot for the 8 of us. The Tropical and colonial pools mirror eachother and the entertainment is on the tropical side. But you can still be far enough away from that enteratinment at the tropical pool if you wish because it is just that big. The entrtainment at the pool could have been more. It needs more games and more friendly fun. The place is more family oriented than young party types which is what we wanted and were looking for. But they could still do much more at the pools in terms of entertainment and fun participating things and games. There quite abit and its not like its non existant at all but just could have had more. Even something simple as bingo is only once per week just for example. Aerobics every morning and dance class every afternoon, water polo game everyday and music of course but not much more veriety and such as i've experienced at others.

But overall the pools and grounds around the pools are clean and very nice. they dont allow food by the pool which is great and probaly why its very clean area. That can be a tad incovenient but on the other hand I hate when your walking and step on and around ketchup and food on the floor etc because people can just be slobs and disrespectful. So they actually ruin their own privileges and i dont blame the hotel for that rule. For lunch and snacks you can go to the poolside buffet or walk over to the main buffet where the breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets are served. The buffet poolside restaraunt was good everyday. Always clean, large place with plenty tables and very convenient just stepd from the pool. Drinks are just fine, bartenders make whatever you want, all staff very good, hardwroking, very helpful.

Tips go a long way. Staff are all very helpful to all but i always tip even at all inclusives. I know how much even a couple bucks here and there means to these workers. The hours they put in, how hard they work and the life many of them lead is at the poverty level. I have spoken to workers a few times in mexico so I have an idea just what they live on. I know its personal choice and sorry to sound dictative but I figure we are spending thousands to vacataion so whats the big deal to give some extra bucks to those catering to you who need it badly and they do earn it. A waiter at dinner caters to us better than i see back home and so I tip similar to what i would if dinner had to be paid for.. I do it out of respect and to help. But thats just me and my opinion. Sorry for that and back to the hotel.

The beach is beautiful. A bit rocky with coral but just fantastic. Clean white sand and clearest blue water. You can snorkel right in front the entire resorts. Never an isue finding chairs there too. Plenty palm trees on the beach and also by the pools. Pools also have shade areas so you can sit shade or sun at the beach or the pools. Its just a wnoderful caribean type beach. No sales pitches or anyone bothering anybody that i know of on the beach or at the hotel.

Overall one the best all inclusive resorts i ever been to. A really wonderful place. I would go back multiple times without a doubt. The only reason I didnt give it a 5 is because of the theater and slightly lax daytime entertainment. Other than that I cant speak enough about how nice this place is. The food, the pools and beach, the rooms, the service, the grounds, the cleanliness, all of it was just wonderful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank danno9
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, 25 February 2016
Dear danno9,

Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate the valuable time you took to share your comments and suggestions about your last stay. Feedback from our guests past and present is our principal devise for improving our services and achieve our goal of complete customer satisfaction. We are glad to know you enjoyed The food, the pools and beach, the rooms, the service, the grounds, the cleanliness.

danno9 We really hope you give us another opportunity to host you back,

Best Regards,
gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Polish first
St. Marys, Canada
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This was the first time my wife and I have stayed in this area and it is also the largest resort we have stayed at . It was better than we expected , very clean , good food , good service and lots for kids to do. It is an hour from Cancun but that gave us a chance to view some of the area . If we were to come back to this area again we would certainly look into staying here

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bruce I
Dear Bruce I,

We really appreciate your loyalty to Barceló Maya Tropical. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, your scores and recommendations. Our goal is complete guest satisfaction.

Bruce I,We look forward to host you again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back.

Best Regards,

P.A Saskatchewan
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We have stayed at many resorts in Mexico for the past 6 years but this is our favorite so far. It was last January that we went and I still think about it... ahhhhh,,so beautiful, great service Atmosphere,, the disco! Had never been to one but holy smokes this was fun!

Room Tip: We moved from an outside building where our room faced the jungle,,,very secluded but humid and damp...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear familym0m,

We appreciate your kind comments and the time you took to share them on Trip Advisor, it is very important for us to thank our guests’ confidence. Thank you very much for the score you gave us.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Warmest Regards
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 25 September 2013

10 of us traveled to this resort in August 2013. 2 families with 6 children ages 7-14. Adults are professionals in our younger 40's. Booked through Travelocity. Transportation was not included and I called the hotel from the Denver airport asking if I could pay for the van to pick us up. I was put on hold for 20 minutes and was told "it is not possible". They would not even give me a suggestion how to get the hotel when I landed in about 5 hours from then. I solved this on my own with a private transportation company. When we arrived it was August and quite warm. No AC in open areas- most of the resort. This is a pretty, well groomed property that is quite large with 5 similar but quality tiered properties. You will walk many miles a day so wear comfy shoes- even in the evening. Upon arrival, we instantly realized we left my 7 year old's Yankee baseball cap in the van ($40). The hotel said "it was not possible" for us to use the phone to call the transportation company as they could not make calls and either could we. I knew wifi would be difficult to use there and did not think I would need it, but suddenly we needed to communicate and couldn't! We lost the hat...

We spent 5 of our 7 nights at the Colonial side (Twin of the Tropical). The pools here are long, connecting and gorgeous. There are swim up bars and the service was a bit of a wait, but tasty drinks (seemed to be very weak alcohol percentage). I suggest buy a bottle at the Cancun airport duty free and bring for your room. Room was neat- basic motel room. I thought this would be fine for a family trip. We booked 4 rooms near each other. One of the rooms had mold, one room had a AC that did not function properly. All of the beds are very hard, like a box spring and they use smaller flat sheets not fitted sheets. -This made sleeping unpleasant for us. We did get a mattress top added to only one of the beds after pleading numerous times. This helps. Insist on this at check in. They did come to remove the mold from the AC in the moldy room on the 3rd day. One of our families paid and upgraded the 2nd night to the Palace side of the resort. -More on this later. We wanted to be together but only 1 family were allowed to transfer then and we were divided now by over a mile of walking distance. This was disappointing.
The Tropical pool has many activities during the day. Pool side Zumba was a highlight. A teen director Aurturo was great with the teens and pool basketball. No food allowed by the pools. We brought our own snorkeling gear- recommend. We snorkeled daily off of the pear near the Beach property. This was super fun and we did not have any need to pay for private snorkeling trip. There is an amazing beautiful open gym to work out next to the Colonial and the Beach property. There are kayaks and catamarans for free rental - the kids loved this. The beach is stunning bright blue, white sands. Plenty of chairs for the day at pool and beach if you get down at a decent time or again later afternoon. Food is plentiful and convenient locations. I suggest you walk around and look at the restaurants on first day and then reserve for dinner right away. Japanese, Seafood and Mexican on the beach we enjoyed. All of the restaurants were lovely. Some food better than others, but lovely enjoyable atmosphere. Buffets have good selection and plenty. Performances every night at the theatre- no AC on Tropical side. Fans were not on and it was brutally hot. Sit toward the very back by the bar to feel a breeze. Performers work very hard and share Mexican culture in some of the performances. The children enjoyed a teen disco night- although not advertised and the 5 of them had place to themselves. Modern large adult disco opens 10 pm. Great shops in the market by the front of the Colonial- must visit. We bought a hammock. They will negotiate. We finally got to upgrade to the Palace side for the last 2 nights. Their theatre has AC- and wonderful seats! The room was large, beautiful design, shower and very upper class- 4.5 star quality room. Comfy , beds, although sheets were stained. It would have been 5 stars if it was not so far from the pool and beach, the sheets were not stained and bit of mold smell in room. Few better restaurant choices. French is decorated beautifully. They have an adult only pool which is a vision of zen and relaxation. The pools are similar here with upgraded kid slides, chairs in pool and pool side large chess games. Tennis courts are nice. Mini golf loaded in mosquitos. Kids came back with 15 welts each in 30 minutes- and this was a dry spell there. Bring bug spray for each evening. Very little life guards- 1 for whole beach which is very long. 1 near kid pool slides - this is not enough as I had to save a toddler who wondered from slides to adult pool and was under water. Besides that, this is a very safe property. I felt comfortable letting the kids hang in the hammocks in the evenings laughing together. People were friendly. I used my high school Spanish often so brush up before going. Over half the staff - including the lifeguard I returned the child to do not speak English. We did not mind as we could communicate some. Overall, we tried to stay out of the rooms as much as possible, make the best out of each moment and enjoy the amenities which were superb. The Col/Trop rooms need help and housekeeping was lacking all over. I would not go again in prime time as service is effected. Other guests told us they have been many times and these problems did not occur then. We would go again as you experience the Mexican culture in a lovely resort setting and this is great for families vacationing together or a few day romantic getaway. We have some fantastic memories!

Room Tip: Ask for mattress pad if your bed is not comfy. Ask for a room closer toward the pools.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kim H
Dear Kim H,

We would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your comments regarding your past stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical. we want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously since they tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve.

We are pleased to know you have encountered many positives at the Resort’s facilities and services.

We deeply appreciate you recommendation to family and friends.

I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Five stars:

Beach is amazing. Tons of chairs and beautiful blue water. Watch the rocks but overall very amazing.

My room was perfect. I had a king bed in the Veracruz building, bottom floor. It was really clean, bright, cool, and refreshing. The bed was like a rock but everything else was great.

Four stars:

The food was either really awesome or really okay. The Mexican night at the buffet was my favorite. The restaurants were so-so. It's a good value but the quality is average.

Three stars:

The service was fine...at first. After my initial check-in it started going downhill. My package I bought on Delta Vacations included upgraded amenities (which from what I can tell didn't really differ from my friends who had the regular amenities) and a nightly turndown service. Well, while I was at the beach during the day, they took my used towels but didn't replace them! So when I got back to my room to shower and change for dinner, I couldn't get ready since there were no bath towels or washcloths or anything. I went to the front desk and they said they couldn't help because they didn't have linens. They said they would have some delivered. I waited fifteen minutes and called the front desk again and they said they were on their way. Five minutes later I finally had the towels. This would NOT be a big deal at all if they had either A) left my used ones hanging up to dry as I have absolutely NO problem reusing the towels or B) if they had immediately replaced the ones they collected.

The drinks were so-so as well. I ended up getting mostly champagne and beer because at least then you KNOW you are getting alcohol. I wasn't convinced the pina coladas were alcoholic at all after having three of them.

Two stars:

Location & Crowd. Probably our fault for choosing a bachelorette party place so far away from Downtown Playa, but one of the girls in the party was in a Pageant at this hotel so that's why we selected it. Cab ride was probably $20 each way to Playa but SO worth it (plus split between people isn't that bad). It's about a 20 minute drive.

The crowd was not very conducive to a thrilling bachelorette party. There were hardly any other people our age (mid-twenties); in fact, I didn't see ANY. It was mostly families or older couples, and there were a lot of Europeans (as in not many people who spoke English).

So all in all if I had to do it over again, if I wanted a nice couples getaway or family vacation, I would consider this place. Especially with the awesome deal I got through Delta Vacations. But for a bachelorette party I would prefer something closer to downtown Playa so we would have more nightlife access and a younger party-type crowd.

Room Tip: Tropical seems cleaner, brighter, and quieter than Colonial.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank caseyh06
Dear caseyh06,

We would like to thank you for sharing your comments regarding your past stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical, for you to know comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously since they tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve. We are glad to know you have encountered many good things at the Resort, We deeply appreciate you recommendation to family and friends.

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.

Montreal
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We just got back from the Barceló Maya Tropical. We stayed there from Sept 7 to 14, and it was our second trip to this hotel. 2 years ago we stayed at the Beach, and had upgraded to a Premium club. We did same this time around, upgraded to a Premium club. We found the difference for the upgrade between the 2 (Beach and Tropical) to be way much more for what you get in the end.

The room in premium; beautiful, big, huge balcony with a view on the pool and ocean, although all you saw was palm trees from the 3rd floor. But we knew that and expected it. The first few days there was a horrible smell in that room, the first night it made us cough we could not sleep, so we called front desk and the tech came and checked the AC, he put some sort of minty smelling tablet in the ventilation system, which disguised the bad smell... by mid week the bad smell seemed to have dissipated. The bed were very comfortable and the washroom was huge! Linens very clean and crisp. The maid service was impeccable every day! Very happy on that front. The tuck in service was a hit and miss. Some nights yes other nights nothing. Our phone system did not work properly. Could barely use the phone and you got cut off every time. Wi-Fi, was another huge problem for us. My husband brought his work lap top as he had to keep in touch with his work and although we had payed in the upgrade for the Wifi, it never worked. When we first arrived at check in they had told us that they had troubles with their router but that all problems were being resolved that same evening. It never got resolved and we got the run arounds all week from the front desk staff. Even the computer in the Premium club room were always a mess...they would jam up and freeze and or not work at all. 2 years prior we had had no problems at all at the Beach Maya, so we never expected it to be this problematic at the Tropical, being it is supposed to be a higher end quality hotel than the beach. They did call wanting to come and check our lap top and our room connection, but it was on the last day! At that point we were leaving anyway.

Upon departure we asked for a credit for all the inconveniences, as we had been told at one point, go to the palace lobby you might have a better connection there to do your work. Which we did and indeed it had worked. But we found that to be a bit disappointing to be the solution they offered. Going to the palace to connect our lap top when needed was not what we payed for, and the inconvenience and frustration it caused. Seriously....we should have then stayed at the palace. The front desk manager we spoke to, "Sam" was very understanding and sympathized with our situation, and was very professional about resolving and giving us a credit for the Wi-Fi situation.

Our week was mostly rain and clouds day and nights, rarely saw the sun, and the ocean was a bit more rough than usual because of the bad weather. The red flag was up most times. The beach at the tropical is nice and large, plenty of lounge chairs for everyone, but on that side there is way too many rocks along the water, which made it troublesome to get in the ocean without scrapping your feet. . Honestly, the beach at the Maya beach side was way more nicer and beautiful than the tropical side because of the quality of the sand and the fact that there was no rocks at all when we stayed there!

The food was very good at the buffet. I found the buffet to the varied and all was fresh and clean. The dining area was spotless, and the people were very friendly. The a la carte restaurant were all good, apart for the Sea Food one. The lobster was very rubbery, and the apple pie for desert which we had, the crust was totally raw. As for the Italian, the Japanese and the Steak House all was excellent! Unfortunately both our favorites of last visit, the Spanish and Mexican restaurant were both closed for renovations.

The pool is huge, beautiful and clean, and the water although it was rarely sunny was comfortable enough to get in and spend many hours in it.

The grounds are spectacular....I don't think there is any words that can describe the beauty and the impeccability of it. It is absolutely gorgeous and extremely well maintained. The grass looked like a carpet to say the least. There was a lot of animals roaming around, different creatures LOL, but they never bothered anyone. The place was zoological, you never knew what animal you'd see today! Kinda of fun!

The entertainment at the Tropical was of low quality....it seems like the quality went down. AND WE Could never understand the maître D speaking on that microphone....and we speak 4 languages. It was always a mystery to us what he was ranting about LOL! The service at the shows was non existent, they never came and asked if we wanted drinks, the girls serving stayed or concentrated their service in the center of the theater and served the guest sitting in those area (by the way we believe in tips for all staff, so this was not the problem)...they never went more to the left or to the right of the stage, so, we always had to go get up and go get our own drink at the bar.

We still enjoyed our stay overall regardless of weather, and the other frustrations we had. We do like the Barceló for all the pluses it has....but we are a little bit disappointed this time around as we felt the upgrade came with several problems that should have not been (phone not working, smell in the room the first few days etc...) considering the amount we payed .

We will go back to the Barceló one day, and if and when we do, we will go back at the Beach Maya. (It is under reno at the moment, apparently all the rooms are getting re-done and the lobby area too).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Marina2709
Dear Marina2709,

We would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your comments regarding your past stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical, we want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously since they tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve.
We are glad to know you have encountered many positives at the Resort’s facilities and services. You can be sure we will work on the issues you mention. We deeply appreciate you recommendation to family and friends.

Marina2709 I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.

Lutz, Florida, United States
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

My wife am I have stayed at Barcelo Maya twice before and really enjoyed it. This trip had it's ups and downs. Some of it can 't be blamed on the resort...the weather sucked. Barcelo Maya is a beautiful resort...fountains, lush landscaping, the pools, and the Gulf. Our room smelled of mold and was extremely damp. We would have switched rooms but my in-laws had the same problem with their room...so it didn't seem specific to our room. The food, while not bad, was not as good as on prior trips. The meat was often fatty and quality just wasn't quite as good. My stomach was slighty unhappy all week with the food. We did enjoy the Seafood and the Japanese specialty restaurants. Stay clear of the Italian restaurant...it was awful. The pools are gorgeous and the swim up bars great. My in-laws thought the drinks were weak...I drink beer so I didn't 't notice. Be prepared for a long ride from the airport...and some of the shuttle drivers really shouldn't have a license. Overall, I like Barcelo Maya. I think it's a nice resort. I think it has declined a little so I am a little wary of returning.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank John R
Dear John R,

We would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your comments regarding your past stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical we want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously since they tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve.

We are pleased to know you have encountered many positives at the Resort’s facilities and services, as well as thank you for sharing the good impression the A la Carte Restaurants had left, we have been working in the Italian Restaurant to improve.

We deeply appreciate you recommendation to family and friends.

John R, I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!