“Rather large but very good resort”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Toronto
“Rather large but very good resort”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

50 of our family and friends congregated at this resort for a wedding (the wedding itself was rather special).

I prefer smaller resorts, but had no choice as this was a family/wedding event. This property has 12 buildings alongside one another (all Barcelo Mayas). If you don't like to walk, I would not suggest going here.

BEACH:

The beach was long and very nice, it had good snorkelling spots very nearby the shore. The beach can be rocky in places due to dead corals nearby. Once you get familiar though, you can often stick to a section that's mostly sand.

ROOMS:

Our room was at the veracruz, it was a bit of a walk to the buffet, beach and tennis courts. Otherwise the rooms was very nice, and we got a huge self enclosed balcony. The mini bar was stocked daily, and the cleaning ladies are super nice and efficient. There are times where there was no hot water, though it would last a maximum of 3 hours.

BEDS:

They are horrible, a lot of the older folks were compalining of back pain. Substandard for a resort claiming to be more than 4 stars.

AMENITIES:

We really like the kids waterpark! Watch out though, adults and babies are not allowed to play on the slide.

The tennis courts were perfect and seemed newly resurfaced, never had problems getting one.

The convention center and nightclub were also convenient especially for the actual wedding day.

FOOD:

I can't say it was bad, but I can't say it was great either. I found it a bit bland, though the selection was very good. I liked the Japanese over the seafood and steakhouse ala carte restaurants.

SERVICE:

Service at the restaurants and buffet was impecable! I have been to all inclusives resorts more than 15 times, and this is the best buffet, bar and restaurants staff I've ever encountered anywhere! I would say that the service was excellent except for one incident.

We had issues with one front counter person (her last name was Gonzalez, didn't get the first name since her hair was blocking it on name tag), who made a pregnant lady with child wait for her room for an hour and refused to give a second card key. I thought it was funny how she argued with me about the second card, while in that time period another front counter person made the second card in two seconds, and handed it to me. Ms. Gonzalez seems to know nothing about customer services and should summarily be fired. Everyone else was great.

I would have rated this resort service a 5 star (first time in 14 tries), had it not been for Ms. Gonzalez.

Really Ms. Gonzales I've never been denied a second card in all the times I've been to a resort.

SUMMARY:

We enjoyed our stay here, but prefer smaller resorts. I'd come back, if the price was right, but would check for smaller resort first.

This resort gets a thumb up for any parent! Good for kids and families.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank erristattle
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, 25 February 2016
Dear erristattle,

We would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical last year, we want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously since they tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve.
We are pleased to know you have encountered many positives at the Resort’s facilities and services.

We deeply appreciate you recommendation to family and friends.

I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.

Best Regards
gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Polish first
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Okso where to begin , how about the front desk , Cleo checked us in , Timely efficent and with full of enthusiam , Cleo is an absolutely Marvelous front desk attenendant , helpfull beyond anyone I have had the experience dealing with at any resort !
We stayed in Premium suite 7109 , ground floor , could not have picked a better room for our location if I had done it personally .
The Restaurants and main dinning room are well managed and Maintained ,
We always saught out the same server a young fellow named Hosea . Hope that s correct . He's on top of the list as far as we are concerened .
The resort staff are all helpfull , friendly and extremely proffesional .
We had a wonderfull saty and only wish it could have been longer .
The enternainment at the Pavillion is excellent ,
Snokelling either side of the beach at the outer bouy's and a nice strip off to the left .
many fish and gurfriend saw a sea turtle , I saw Stingray
Please GO !!

Went to Tulum , Exha , and Playa Del Carmen , ( 5th Avenue , Take the bus , it stops out side the resort , wright out front $3 eac ) Also went snokelling for the day at the ecosanctuary .

All are well worth the cost .

So Glag we went to this resort .

Room Tip: 7109 ground floor
2 Thank randy B
Dear randy B,

We are glad to know you have encountered many good things at the Resort, especially that you think our staff is fantastic. We deeply appreciate you recommendation to family and friends.

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.

Best Regards
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel from 7 - 21 October, and I have to say it was the best holiday I have ever had, not only because of all the wonderful excursions, but because of this hotel. Please do NOT take any notice of the bad reviews, they are either from a long time ago or from overly fussy people who look for things to complain about as a hobby.

The hotel and grounds surrounding were very clean, the garden was being tended to daily and all paths constantly swept. The beach was beautiful, pure paradise. The pool area was never too busy so you could always find a good sun bed, pools always clean.

The food here was exquisite, everything from the restaurants, the buffet (had different country themed food every night), the snack bars, all of it was freshly prepared and very tasty, it even has a great selection for kids and the variety of different foods was great!

The staff were what held the place together though, the way they work is out of this world. Everybody from the waiters, the hosts, bar staff, reception, shop keepers, housekeeping, gardeners etc. were so friendly, they always make a huge effort with you and make you smile, they work so hard to give you the best service and make sure everything is done as quick as possible. Please do not complain if one day they forget something or something takes longer than you expect, just remember how busy they are, they really do work so hard and they are the happiest, friendliest people I have ever met! They make the service back in England laughable.

All in all this hotel is beautiful, I will definitely be returning very soon.

8 Thank Kristen9188
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, 25 June 2015
Dear Kristen9188,

Barceló Maya Tropical is lucky to have you as a guest, we cannot thank you enough for your kind comments.

We look forward to host you again. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back as we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities.

Warmest Regards to England, United Kingdom!.
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed in the Maya Tropical from October 4th to 18th october with thomson holidays, we origionaly booked in the Maya Caribe but the hotel has closed down for a referb and re build.

Had a excellent time, the hotel is the best i have stayed at, the rooms were clean and spacious, hotel grounds were kept imaculate, the beach and the pool you cannot fault.

In the rooms you get a mini bar that is restocked everyday with 2 corona beers, 2 coca colas, 2 coke diet, 2 fanta, 2 sprite, 2 bottles of water, 2 orange juice and some nuts, this is good but in a couple of occasions were given corona cans with 2011 advertisment on that would make it out of date.

The weather was amazing, the pool and beach always had sunbeds avalible any time of the day, pool bar was a bit busy at times but have a tip in your hand and you will be seen quickly, they offer 1 hour free snorkling on the beach which is good to jump off the peir and swim with the tropical fish.

The food is amazing at the hotel, included in our stay we were given 9 a la carte invitations, resturants are seafood, italian, steak house and japaneese, the buffets are to a high standard too.

The only 2 things that let this hotel down is that the evening entertainent is soooooooooo boring nothing that was on interested us, throughout the 2 weeks were there they altenated between, the perfect couple, battle of the sexes, and cuban dancing. the second part is that the pillows in the room arnt that comfy

But all in all with definatly recommend this hotel and will visit again

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony the terrice rooms look quite open
1 Thank 012adam
Dear 012adam,

We would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Tropical to expend this holiday!.

Our goal is complete guest satisfaction.

We look forward to host you again. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back.

Respectfully,
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My travel group(12) is visiting BT again on Feb14 and can not wait. We have been a number of times and it never disappoints. From the great food to the beautiful grounds ..it is great. We have never had a bad experience. I fully recommend this as a wonderful place to get away from our COLD Canadian winters. The staff works very hard to make our stay the best. Always remember you are on holidays....nothing is that important that it has to be in 10 seconds. Just lay back and a have great MEXICAN vacation. And when you feel the service was not quick enough ...think about the last time you were in an 20 minute line up at TIM's and thought about a relaxing vacation in the sun. Enjoy....we did! We all voted and it was a 5 star for us!!!!!!!
TERRY

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank 13terry
Dear 13terry,

Warmest Regards to Calgary, Canadá!.

We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back as we are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities.

Once again thank you very much; we look forward to see you!

Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This review is a little late. I could not put the proper date in since the dates only go back to 2012. We stayed at this resort in January 2010. This was our second time staying at the Barceló. The first time we stayed at the Colonial in 2007. We prefer the Colonial or Tropical but would not stay at the Maya or Caribe sections since we prefer the air conditioned buffets and the Maya and Caribe buffets are open air with ceiling fans. The resort is Beautiful. Very clean. No bugs! The grounds are immaculate and very lush. The pools and beach are beautiful. Food is very good. Shows are good. It's paradise! We would definitely return to this resort. Our room was on the second floor in the Veracruz building.

Room Tip: We like rooms on the second or third floors.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TAC499
Dear TAC499,

First of all, receive warmest Regards to Cataratas del Niágara, Canadá!.

We really appreciate your loyalty to Barceló Maya Tropical. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, your scores and recommendations.

We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. One of our goals is to provide service and facilities of great quality.

We look forward to host you again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time before you coming back.

Frankford, Delaware
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My husband and I along with 2 other couples stayed for 5 nights/6days and had a wonderful vacation! I read tons of reviews before going!
It took 1 1/2 hr to get to resort from airport...made 2 other quick stops along the way! Upon arrival we were not greeted with a beverage ...actually noone spoke to us till into our rep from Olympus tours came over and then she took us to ck in...The young guy working at front desk was very friendly..(previous reviews said front desk staff was rude) Def not the case..check in was a breeze and we were off to our room..1st floor yucaton building...we were close to main lobby/restaurants/bar/theatre...the pools and beach were less then a 10 min walk away...loved our location!!! Rooms are spacious..nice to have the sofa and extra space when traveling with friends. Mini bar stocked everyday! The rooms however could use some updating and yes the mattress is very hard!
The pools and beach are beautiful..this is not a busy season so we never had trouble getting sunbeds any time of day..we hung out mostly at tropical pool bar where they have music and entertainment... my favorite bartender was Javier Aka J Dogg..(pool bar) he took great care of us and was a lot of fun! I do feel that they could do a little more entertainment by the pool...more crowd participation games etc..
We did not get to snorkle (bummer) because we put it off and we had rain the last 2 afternoons of our stay!
Food...the specialty restaurants were very good...(we got 2 for our length of stay) reservations were made our 2nd day for whole trip! The buffets were good however I would like to see even more choices! Not gonna comment any more on food because everyone has there own taste.
At night there is plenty to do...the theatre shows were great (ones I seen) also after the show the bartender will do an awesome domino effect with shots! There is also a piano bar with late night snacks on the colonial side...the disco jaguars is a very nice place however never got to busy during our stay not many dancing...but we still had fun! We did go to CocoBongo one night for my husband's birthday and had a blast! We booked this right by the pool with coco bongo rep...
They have a lot of shops in the plaza for souvenirs etc however we took a cab downtown 6 people/$30 total..we did all our shopping there for cheaper prices and it was nice to see downtown playa del Carmen..
The day before arrival was my anniversary the first night they delivered a small cake with bottle of champagne. On my husbands birthday a lot of the staff made him feel very special... they sang HB cpl times throughout the day!
Everything about this resort was beautiful...the grounds...the pools...the super friendly staff!
My one and only complaint (nothing the resort can fix) was the other travelers...most were very rude! We are the type to smile and say hola to fellow vacationers when passing in the halls and walkways or sit next to someone at the bar...most would turn there heads and not respond...not used to that where I come from ..but to each there own!
So all in all my only complaint would be a much nicer welcoming with drink ready when arriving!
We will def be returning to this resort...looking forward to 2nd trip when the beach/caribe are open back up and we have even more resort to explore! Don't listen to the negative reviews... this has been my favorite mexico resort by far.. a vacation/stay is only gonna be as good as you allow it to be! Don't dwell on petty minor things and you will have a fabulousl time!

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank kelkel928
Dear kelkel928,

We would like to thank you for sharing your comments regarding your past stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical, for you to know comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously since they tell us what we are doing right, what we are doing wrong and how we can improve. We are glad to know you have encountered good things at the Resort.

We hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!