“a truly beautiful resort”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Greenville, South Carolina
“a truly beautiful resort”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The Barcelo Maya property (which includes Tropical, Colonial, Caribe, Beach, and Palace) is about 45 minutes south of Cancun. I went there with 4 friends, on recommendation of cousins. It did not disappoint. We loved it so much, we will go back again next year. Has one of the most beautiful (and long and sandy and crystal clear waters) beaches I have ever been too. It is an all-inclusive resort, and never was there any pressure or sales pitches to "buy up" or buy add-ons. The food was delicious and a good variety for all 3 meals per day over course of the week. The 'Beach' property is the most affordable, which mostly meant it was full of Mexican citizens who seemed to be on constant 'party' mode, both young and old. The Caribe is under renovation. The Colonial and Tropical was mostly American and European visitors, with a more subdued pool atmosphere. The Palace is most expensive. But all 5 properties really blend together at the pools/beach. The Beach has been fully renovated and had some of the best rooms I've ever had at a resort. I would pay for the upgrade and get an oceanfront room (which are about 20% of the rooms) and not the standard room (which are the other 80%) as they can be a long walk to pool/beach. Staff is very friendly. All is very safe and secure. We will be going back. The resort (for an all inclusive resort) is spotless. There is so much room, that at times, you could feel like you had a piece of the place all to yourself.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank D M
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate the opportunity to host your first visit to Barcelo Maya Tropical, we will be very happy to meet you next time!. Thank you for the time taken to write your kind comments regarding your past stay. We will work to improve every day. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Warmest Regards to Greenville, Carolina del Sur.

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Polish first
Cochrane
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Loved this place
Went from may20-29 2014

Room
Was nice upgraded to primium don't suggest it our friends got same extras we did by tipping. Room was rather nice. Housekeeping was hot or miss but didn't break our review. If I was asked would love if house keeping came in did all there stuff and left not in and out 500 plus times a day

Buffet
Was good food gets repetitive over time but as long as u mix it up with lobby beach and restaurants it's alright. Loved Italian steak and japNesse restaurants. Calzone in the Italian is a must have.

To the people that complain this resort is overly large. A little walking doesn't kill anyone and when I say a little that's all it is my room to beach buffet spa just about anywhere wasent any longer then 5 min

Attractions
Coco bongo VIP is a must totally worth every penny

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Kirsten,
We appreciate your kind recommendation of Barcelo Maya Tropical.
Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Be assured we will work on housekeeping in order to improve our service.
As you say “calzone” is a very popular and delicious dish at Capri Restaurant, we are glad you liked the food at the A la Carte Restaurants.
Once again thank you very much for your visit, we hope you will give us another opportunity to host you in the future.
montreal
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We are currently staying at this hotel for two weeks, the first week just went by and everything is more than amazing. The staff is super friendly funny and give amazing service! The rooms are spotless, the waiters at the beach buffet, restaurents a la carte are amazing same goes for bartenders everywhere but the service at the breakfast lobby buffets is horrendous. For the 4th consecutive morning we were sat down and received no service the waiter looks at us and keeps running back and forth setting tables! I see other guest having to wave at the waiters with no avail. Once we ask for service, coffee never came neither did the juices and we get water once we finish our meal. For now I will wait for the beach buffet to open and eat breakfast there.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank annng91
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Ann,
First of all we would like to thank you for sharing your experience at Barcelo Maya Tropical, we are glad to know the good image our Staff have provide you and we apologize for the rush impression our Breakfast Buffet gave you, we really appreciate your time and comments.
We would be grateful to have another opportunity to show you our true level of service at Breakfast Buffet. Once again thank you for your preference.
Warmest Regards to Montreal.
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We just got back from our Honeymoon (5/21/14-5/27/14), and we both regretted going with this "all-inclusive resort." We decided on this resort bc it seemed that it had the least negative reviews out of the many we searched. I wish we had known... We stayed in the Vera Cruz building on the first floor. Our room's A/C and exhaust fan did not work properly. Thus, our room was hot and humid, making the room uncomfortable for much of anything and the sheets were damp--so it felt like we were sitting or sleeping with wet sheets ALL THE TIME. Additionally, black mold was apparent on the ceiling of our bathroom with 3 nights left to go. I am guessing they wipe it off between guests and as the humidity builds up, it regrows. We should have complained and asked for a new room from the get go, but we were naive and didn't think we could get a new room (figuring they must be full or all like this--otherwise, why would they put guests into this room?) and figured we only had to bare just 3 more nights and were already settled by this point. The food was not great. I saw this in a review, but thought..."Well, I am not a food critic and not picky, so it will probably be ok." No--it really is not even slightly tasty for most food items, so you really have no appetite...and after just a few days, you are yearning for your normal food. The a la carte restaurants have better options, but you only have a limited amount of dinners there. Also, the "all inclusive drinks" is misleading... The alcoholic drinks are gross--low quality--BUT you can PAY for the GOOD alcohol. Their strawberry daquiris actually have NO real fruit. It is cheap, artificial "punch" with cheap disgusting rum. Their "house wines" are undrinkable bc so disgusting (you will leave most of the wine in the glass). You can PAY for good wine, which they will offer at the a la carte restaurants--and it is ACTUALLY palatable and tasty...BUT expensive...and NO WHERE did it say this was all-inclusive BAD alcohol, but if you want palatable drinks, you'll have to pay. The only positives about this resort are that they upkeep the common grounds--so the property looks very pretty and appealing and even "rich", and that there are always plenty of lawn chairs both by the pool and on the beach. My fiance and I are very disappointed with this resort, and will fiercely recommend you go elsewhere. We wish we would have paid a little bit more to go to Riuz, where my parents have gone, as they didn't have any of these problems...but we were trying to save money and we thought based on the reviews, that this would be an "ok" place to have our honeymoon. NOPE. A WASTE OF MONEY. Should have spent a bit more for a nicer honeymoon rather than a lot of money on a terrible "all-inclusive" NOT actually all-inclusive one...

Room Tip: Don't come here. If you want to chance it (which I highly suggest you don't), insist with t...
1 Thank Ashleigh K
Dear Ashley K,
We are concerned about the problems you experienced at this hotel during your recent visit and we would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention.
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. One of our goals is to provide service and facilities of great quality. Consequently it is disappointing to learn that you were unhappy.
The quality and variety of food and beverages served at Barcelo Maya Tropical usually please the great majority of our guests, however we do respect your personal opinion regarding these and house wine as well. We appreciate your comments and we will make proper arrangements in order to improve our service.
Sincerely.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I thought this resort was absolutely beautiful!! We were here for a wedding with a group of about 16 people that ranged from the ages of approximately 70 to 6 and we all had an amazing time. We were able to shop right in the next resort which I thought was pretty cool and we never got bothered on the beach from people selling things - we were in Cancun the year before and it was terrible for this!
We were given three water, a few pop and some beer everyday and a previous trip taught me to treat these things as luxuries so I felt pretty spoiled to get water let alone treats. Also we had a great view; however, our air conditioning was a little temperamental which wasn't too terrible since we had a fan which helped keep air circulating. I really enjoyed the activities such as the water exercises, yoga, water polo and beach volleyball. There were dolphin shows and different animals to take pictures with; there were so many things to take in that I want to go for another week just to experience everything. The food was always creative and there was such a great variety, I would most definitely return to this resort!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lindsay G
Dear Lindsay G,
It’s a pleasure to host a Wedding Celebration; we deeply appreciate your visit. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, your scores and recommendations.
Feedback from our guests, both past and present, helps us improve our services and achieve our main goal, which is complete customer satisfaction.
I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs, as we would like the opportunity to provide you with the level of service you had received and expect from Barceló Maya Tropical.
Best Regards.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Let me start off by saying I have a bit of OCD when it comes to hotels. I thoroughly go through the room when I get there to make sure it's clean. I was pleased at the cleanliness of the room, my one complaint are that the sheets and towels have some old small stains on them but most hotels have that. The rest of the hotel was kept immaculate as well as the grounds. The beach was very clean I didn't see a piece of trash the whole 10 days I was there and I walked the whole beach a couple of times. I also want to point out the enormity of the resort there are five hotels on one huge property. That being said I was horrified at the space the dolphins had, a space much smaller then the pools they had for us to swim in. That was not cool and we hated walking by there. The buffet food was great and we are food snobs of sorts. I loved how every night the buffet was a different theme. We liked the buffet so much that we didn't even use our a la carte tickets. I shouldn't admit this bit I only went to the gym once and was surprised at the amount of weights and machines they had. To sum it up I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to my friends as our friends recommend it to us.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kristinotto,

We would like to thank you for the explanation of Barcelo Maya Tropical you have written; we really appreciate your time.
We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Best Regards.

Ossining, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We just had our honeymoon in the beginning of May '14, and it was as enjoyable as we had hoped.
Stayed at the Veracruz building.
We choose Barcelo because we wanted a hotel where we could go snorkeling straight from the beach, and it didn't disappoint a single bit. I was swimming with a turtle, almost stepped on a large stingray and enjoyed feeding huge angelfish right there, on the coral 50 feet from the beach chair. It was great.
Except the last 2 days it got very windy so I couldn't enjoy much snorkeling, but still their reef is great, and it is very close, you don't even need to be able to swim well (just put your fins on). Also, the have a pier for small boats from which people feed the fish, so there is also a huge school of them waiting around, which makes for very enjoyable snorkeling.
Beach: Clean, with plenty of available sun beds - you can choose whether you want to be under palm trees, in the sun, by the pools or wherever else your heart desires. However, due to the proximity of the coral reef, some areas of the beach are rocky, so be sure to wear swim shoes, or be careful where you enter the water.
Service: Very good. Initially they gave us the room on the first floor near a walkway, which had a horrible musty smell. But when we complained, and mentioned that we are on the honeymoon, we received another room on the second floor with more privacy right away. The cleaning service was fast and thorough, they kept the room very clean and tidy. Front desk was also very helpful, although most often we had to wait in line (short) to ask a question. The only thing is, the specialty restaurants reservations have to be made in advance at a certain table, which means everybody goes to that one person, and it creates lines and waiting. However, later we found out that there are extra tables like that inside the main buildings (namely, the Yukatan), so that helps.
Rooms: large and comfortable. We had a large king size bed, which was soft and comfortable, nice soft pillows; couch and a sitting room, a large balcony, and nice large bathroom. TV too of course, but honestly we didn't have time for that. There's a refrigerator with water/drinks/beer which are included; and we used it for our food as well. Balcony didn't face the sea thank God, because although we wanted an ocean view, we quickly realized that ocean view means the Discotheque view, and believe me, you wouldn't want that; it's loud enough as is. However, we enjoyed nice tropical garden view and ocean breeze from the balcony, where I liked to sit and read. Sleep quality was good, and would have been even better if not for the drunk people coming back from the Discotheque at 2-3 am every night, and they were very loud. And it wasn't even a season for a spring break! So stay away from the ocean side if you want to rest, I'm just saying.
Food: Not as good as expected. I've been to other resorts before, including in Mexico, Dominican Repiblic and cruises, and Barcelo's food was disappointing. Although buffet's selection was good, representing some (but not nearly enough) of the local specialties, the meat was almost always overcooked and dry, and/or too salty. However, fish and seafood was always tender and juicy, so go figure. Breakfast buffet was good though - at least in my opinion, because they had every imaginable kind of fruit available, and I love fruit for breakfast. They also had pastries and quesadillas of course. Sea side lunch buffets were good too. The specialty restaurants have better food, especially the steakhouse - there we had really good steaks. Mexican restaurant was also good, although not as authentic as we hoped. And seafood restaurant was very good as well. My advice, if you want to try different Mexican specialties, definitely visit Mexican buffets at the Xel-Ha and Xcaret parks; we had a great culinary experience there, the best ever. And since it's a buffet, you can try many different things.
Activities: we were so engaged in snorkeling that didn't have time for anything else. But snorkeling was great! Also, it was fun to observe people doing water aerobics/dancing under the guidance of the trainers wearing funny costumes. Almost like a show in itself. They also have sea kayaks and windsurfing for free, you just need to sign up.
Pools: they have several, including one with the pool bar which was understandably very popular. We enjoyed it as well, and liked the service and the drinks. Pools were very clean and warm, even too warm for my taste. But it makes for a nice late night swim.

Now, I'm trying to think of what we didn't like, and honestly it's very little. I was slightly annoyed at the buffet that you can't get your own tea (although you can at the sea side buffet), and need to wait for the waiter, ask for hot water, then wait again.. and again.. I'm just sayin', it is a self service buffet by definition, and they could spare waiters a lot of unnecessary running around if people can get their own tea. Just like they can and do get their own soup. Also, I wish it was more quiet at night; but I understand, people get drunk and very merry. And another complaint was the weather. But it's not Barcelo's fault..

Room Tip: Avoid the ocean side if you want a good night sleep.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Aleksandra L,

First of all let us start by thanking you for having chosen Barcelo Maya Tropical to spend your Honeymoon; we really appreciate your recommendation.
We are pleased to totally agree with your snorkeling experience description. As you said “snorkeling is great”. Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.
Cordially

Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!