“Viva Barcelo Maya!”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
“Viva Barcelo Maya!”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We just returned from a wonderful vacation at Barcelo Maya Tropical. The facility is beautiful, clean and well-managed. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The beach and the pool facilities are top-notch. The facility is expansive, but well designed. Everything was easily accessible as long as you don't mind walking a bit, but the walks were enjoyable given the gorgeous, well-maintained grounds. Here are the great, the good and the not-so-good things that stood out to me:

Great:
- The staff and concierge service
- The Pool
- The Beach
- Dolphinarus (swimming with the dolphins; my children LOVED this)
- The a la carte restaurants (especially Kyoto, the Japanese steakhouse)
- The spa (my wife and daughters had a thoroughly enjoyable massage on the beach, including a wonderful experience with garra rufa aka doctor fish - google it)
- Available activities (e.g. snorkeling, etc.)

Good:
- The buffet dining
- The lounges and bars
- The overall condition of the rooms
- The entertainment in the lounges and the theater
- The daily activities at the pool

Not So Good:
- One of the rooms had a musty smell
- The mattresses were a little on the firm side with no pillowtop
- The wifi (which was an extra charge) wouldn't allow all five of us to be connected at the same time and only covered the hotel, not the pool areas or the beach
- The shower stall/tub had no grippie stuff on the floor. My wife slipped getting out on the second day and took a nasty spill.
- The drive from the Cancun airport is about 45-50 minutes depending on traffic

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our time at Barcelo Maya and we would not hesitate to go back (and likely will).

Room Tip: Unless you are getting a room with an ocean view, the tendency might be to ask for a room close to t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Greg M
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Greg,
First of all we would like to thank you for sharing your experience at Barcelo Maya Tropical, we are glad to know the great, the good and we will work on the not-so-good.
We appreciate the good image our Staff has provided you as well as the well-maintained grounds and facilities.
We hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs, as we would like to provide you with the level of service you expect from Barceló Maya.
Once again thank you very much for your preference,
Best Regards,

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Others have written lengthy reviews of the entire resort, and I would advise you to read the positive reviews. We have never been to an All Inclusive so we though we would give it a try.

The drive from the airport was comfortable and the driver friendly. We felt very safe.

At the hotel check in was fast and very easy. I just have one observation - the girls at the front desk do not smile much, but everyone else was always smiling and waving. Our room was perfect and the fridge was always well stocked.

We ate at the buffets and enjoyed the food very much. The servers went out of their way to make our meals special and we think Othoniel Gomez and Martin Deserve promotions for their excellent care and beautiful attitudes.

The beach was beautiful and the water lovely and warm.

One evening we stayed in one of the lounges to hear the Mariacis perform and they were so talented and interacted so,nicely with the audience.

We loved our room and strolling through the property which is lush with trees and flowers. The decor all over the resort is beautiful. We felt like we were in a palace.

Thank you Barcelo Maya Tropical and thank you Mexico!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7675 in Veracruz and it was very quiet. It was just a short walk to the pools and...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tropicanada
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Guest,
First of all let us start by thanking you for having given Barcelo Maya Tropical an opportunity to host you! we really appreciate your kind recommendation.
Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have passed your congratulations to our Food and Beverage Manager and her staff Othoniel and Martin.
We hope to see you back at Barcelo Maya Tropical
Cordially

Worden, Illinois
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I didn't mind this resort went for our honeymoon in 2011. We did go to the spa which was pretty nice. I believe we only got massages. I was a little bit boozy for the massage. My wife and I had a good time though. The language barrier between Spanish and English wasn't quite as bad as I had expected. I did feel secure in the resort. The all inclusive was nice. The restaurants weren't bad. The buffet got old because it was the same food everyday. The beach was beautiful and my drinks were constantly filled (hence why I was a lil bit boozy massage day). The late night room service was good and fairly fast.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jared K
Dear Jared K
Many thanks for your review regarding your past stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical, we do appreciate your comments, since they help us to constantly improve.
We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Best wishes,

Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We visited theBarcelo Maya tropical in early April. The pools are large, beautiful and very clean. The grounds are very well kept as is the beach. We enjoyed sailing the catamarands,swimming in the ocean and relaxing. There are enough beach chairs for everyone even during the high season.

The water arobics class is one of the most fun offerings. It is not your typical water arobics class and is more like Zumba in the water! We visited during spring break so there were a lot of teen-agers around but we think that added to the fun and we are in our 60's, but young at heart.

The only complaint is the quality of the food. I would give it a rating of 5 out of 10. Have been to other all inclusives with much better food.

Room Tip: It can be loud during the nightly entertainment aso if you go to bed before 10 p.m. get a room away...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
We really appreciate your time to share your impressions on Trip Advisor, your comments are important to the success of our organization; we are pleased to know you really liked our water aerobics, it is important for us to have different activities for all our guests. Please be assured that our Chef and Foof/Beverage department are working to improve constantly. We hope you would give us another opprotunity to host you in the future.

Warmest Regards

San Jose, California
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We are a couple with a 2 year old toddler who traveled to attend a wedding at the nearby Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya. We decided not to stay at the HRH because Trip Advisor reviews by other families. Furthermore, after many trips with our boy we've learned we must have a one bedroom suite for the three of us which was not available at the HRH. (He gets a quiet dark room to sleep in and mom & dad get some private time together before bed.) In the end even though it was inconvenient for us to attend the wedding and we didn’t get to spend as much time with our extended family as we wanted to, we are very happy we stayed at the Barcelo property.

Resort Location
First if you're like me and looking for a spot you might be wondering. What is the difference between the Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, Maya Tropical, Maya Colonial, Maya Caribe, Maya Beach? I'm not sure but I know they are all side by side can you can pretty much access the other's facilities with few exceptions namely the Palace Deluxe a la carte restaurants. And as I understand if you can't you can always pay a little extra for access. Also, be aware it's an hour car ride from the Cancun airport to the Riviera Maya.

Check-in
The check-in lobby was large and nicely lit, unfortunately the breezeway was very dark when we arrived due to two non-functioning light fixtures. Our luggage was delivered to us in a timely manner. Unfortunately the crib we requested was not in the room when we arrived, but delivered promptly after a call. Once it arrived, we quickly realized our 36 inch tall son would barely fit in it so he ended up sleeping in our bed most of the stay. The broken bulbs frustratingly took 2 days and multiple calls to different people to resolve. That was my only major disappointment with the Barcelo.

Accommodations
Our room (Suite Ocean Front Club Premium) in the Veracruz building was large and exactly as pictured, a living area and bedroom separated by a solid door. Be aware even thought it says ocean front, it does not have an ocean view. The suite is a 1.5 bath unit with the half bath in the living area, away from the bedroom where we could brush our teeth or use the restroom to not risk waking up our little one. The master bathroom is large with a tub that easily fit myself and my two year old, toilet stall and separate shower stall. I did note that the door to the master toilet only opens about 2 feet wide so if that’s an issue there is the standard 3 foot doorway to the toilet in the living area. I’ve read other reviews that the mattress was hard. We found our king size bed to be on the firm, but still comfortable side.

The living space is large and comfortable. We used the comfortable dinette set often to enjoy room service which was nice for occasions when we couldn’t eat until after our little one went to sleep.

There are separate thermostats in the bedroom and living area each and in the heat of summer we were able to keep our suite at 23C (73F) throughout the day.

Coming from the SF bay area, we consider ourselves foodies. The buffet was pretty good, better than what I've had at places like Hometown Buffet. The a la carte restaurants were darn good as well. As other reviewers have said, make your dinner reservations the moment you arrive. The reservations desk is open until 10pm or 11pm near the check-in counter. With our two dinner options, we decided on the steakhouse and Japanese. The rack of lamb entree at the Sante Fe is a full rack. The skill of the teppanyaki chefs at Kyoto was better than the shows you'll see in the US at Benihana. They did amazing things with the spatulas from juggling eggs to tossing small bites of food into the mouths of diners with 90% accuracy. The Surf and Turf at Kyoto is really that... lobster tail and steak unlike the steak and shrimp my parents had at the nearby Hard Rock. The hot food was well prepared, however quality of the sashimi and sushi rolls was acceptable but not great.

With the suite, room service was free although as you might expect the menu is limited. That said, the quality of the room service food made it understandable. The chicken noodle soup and flank steak are great, shrimp cocktail was huge and tasty (unlike some tasteless shrimp I’ve experienced at a local Vietnamese place lately) although mixed with avocados and served in a pineapple shell wasn't quite what quite what we expected. They stock the refrigerators very well with water and drinks. That said we had two full mini fridges, one in the bedroom and one in the living space, really convenient in our situation.

Dolphins
The Barcelo property has five dolphins on site which you can experience up close for between $100-$200. After reading one other reviewer’s comments about the dolphins swimming area being small, I decided to check it out for myself. I can see where she is coming from, however it didn't seem any smaller than the dolphin experience location my wife and I experienced ~10 years ago in the Florida Keys. I’m not a veterinarian by any means, but they look to be in relatively good condition and after a busy day it’s would seem best they get left alone after 5pm.

Beach
As the Barcelo Maya is a large property (seriously, there is a free shuttle between all properties), the beach is expansive and offers a few choices. There’s the expansive sandy beach, a rocky area, and where the pier meets the shore there are tide pools. My little boy saw his first Hermit crab there. For the romantically inclined you can have a beautiful dinner for two on the beach with Christmas lights along the pathway to your table.

Pool
We spent most of our time at the large kiddie area right next to the adult pool with the swim up bar. The pool is well designed as a wading pool surrounding a variety of water slides. Most were too fast for our two year old and arguably his clumsy parents who bruised their knees going down the slide. The five year olds around didn’t seem to have a problem. But there are two gentle slides in the shape of a frog and butterfly which would be fine for him if only he had the courage.

In retrospect, I wish I made time to join the water aerobics class which happens at noon.

Facilities & Safety
As I mentioned before when we booked our stay back in February 2014, we were concerned with the safety of the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya based on other Trip Advisor reviews. I should mention during the half day I was at the HRH I didn’t notice any safety concerns for a toddler, but from our brief stay seeing the pool, beach and my parent’s room, it is more suitable for young teens to adults. At the Barcelo Colonial, we felt very safe letting our son walk a little further from us. The walls along the breezeways & balcony still tower over his 36” frame. The stairs have handrails. The only place we kept him a little closer to us was near the buffet and a la carte restaurants where the walkways are straddled by what I’d guess to be 18” deep pools for the fountains.

After scraping her knee at the waterslide, my wife requested some first aid from the front desk one evening. Since the medic wasn’t immediately available he offered to have the medic go to our room. Sure enough she showed up within 20 minutes and applied basic first aid to clean and bandage the wound.

Tours
I'm very glad I heeded the advice of my friends and the concierge, by not taking my two year old to Chichen Itza. At Tulum, my little one was sweating heavily and downed an entire bottle of cold Gatorade. All this despite being lucky he had a relatively cool for that time of year according to our tour guide.

Summary
Our friend with a toddler of the same age raved about another family resort closer to Cancun so we might try that next time. But if you’re a young family looking for a resort near Puerto Adventuras, I would highly suggest considering the Barcelo resort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Willie C
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Willie C
We have read your opinion and really appreciate the valuable time you have taken to share your comments regarding your past stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical, we are glad to know you were pleased with the Resort. We cannot thank you enough for the detail description of the resort, lobby, kid´s pools and beach.
Feedback from our guests, both past and present, helps us improve our services and achieve our main goal, which is complete customer satisfaction. Thank you very much for your preference, we look forward to see you.
Best Regards,

gteoperaciones,tropical@barcelomaya.com
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Great one-week vacation at the Tropical hotel in Barcelo Maya resort. Food was pretty good, drinks available just about everywhere. Room was clean and attended to every day. Paid extra for Wi-Fi, but was well worth it. Staff was friendly, and appreciated the tipping. Best resort in Mexico, wouldn't go to any other.

Room Tip: Room 7677 on the third floor of Veracruz building was perfect. Close to the lobby, bar, buffet, on t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VladanT
Dear VladanT,
We really appreciate your kind review on Trip Advisor, your comments are important to the success of our organization.
Warmest Regards to Vancouver.
OHIO
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Just returned last night! Great place. Rooms sand building areas were clean and mini fridge always stocked with drinks. The Beach was super clean and swim friendly with plenty of lounge chairs and palm trees.
Buffet style food was typical for an all inclusive, some great, some not so good but that's based on tastes and not a general quality issue, typical (in my opinion) for feeding "masses" of people at varied schedules 3 different meals a day!

Beach side grill, swim up bars and pool side service were great!! All in all, a nice resort with great amenities, and a great place to walk around bare foot for a few days to forget your 9 to 5 troubles!

The only negative I can cite is that in the ala'carte restaurants, the air conditioning is not very good if you are seated anywhere near the open kitchens or in the lobby.

Have fun. We would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank MHfry1
Dear Guest,
We really appreciate your kind review on Trip Advisor, your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We are pleased to know you would come back in a heartbeat.
Warmest Regards to Ohio.

Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#80 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!