“Overall a Good Stay-But there is flaw”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We just got back from our 9 nights stay. Westjet is super good and we arrived in hotel as planned around 3: 30pm via USA Transfer(They are really good company with great service). The bad experience started from check-in, I was told by the front desk girl that my two rooms are in Colonial, not Tropical. I asked why, she is like well, all rooms in Tropical were sold out, and they didn't get my room information in time. I am like then whomelse get those Tropical rooms if I could not get them, my booking was done 8 month ago! She is like, umm, inside their system, Colonial is treated the same way as Tropical. I was standing there for an hour until eventually a supervisor showed up and she gave me two adjoining room in Tropical side. I am not sure how could this happen like that, does that because I booked via expedia, or because of my Asian name, so they put us anywhere they want to? It is still a puzzle to me, and I don't wanna recall this part too much since it really ruined my good mood of vocation.
For the 9 days stay, overall it is great. We do enjoy the beautiful beach, swimming pool, dock with snorkelling and the food/drink there. Kyoto restaurant is excellent. Buffet has so much varieties. Compared to the cruise trip we experienced, service is not that great. The night show is great and I can tell that the singers/dancers are trying really hard to entertain. We took Collectico serveral times to visit Akumal, Tulum, Xplor and Playa De Carmen. It was quick, safe and cheap. One thing to add, the TV in the room is still the old style one with bad image quality, that is a disappointment. But it does have lots of good channels.

Room Tip: Front desk has good rate for Peso exchange from CAD. Call hotel to confirm your booking and you don...
2  Thank Cocolele
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor, we apologize for the misunderstanding on your check in time, it is important to clarify your last name does not determine which hotel you receive.
We also want you to know that Barceló Maya Colonial and Barceló Maya Tropical belong to the same categories and share as the restaurants, the pools, the a la carte restaurants and the theater.
We gladly announce you we have change our old TV’s from the rooms, now we have flat screen TV’s.
Thank you very much for your comments, we hope to see you soon,

Warm Regards
gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Write a ReviewReviews (5,117)

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Fabulous Resort with friendly staff and luxury service. Every need was addressed upon arrival and throughout our entire stay. The grounds were beautiful and tropical throughout the entire resort. We brought our two children and they were enjoyed the ocean and all the activities the resort had to offer.

1  Thank Kim M

Dear Kim M,
Let us start by thanking you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor and your kind evaluation of our Service, Staff, Facilities and Cleanliness.
We really appreciate your kind recommendation to all your friends and hoper to host you again in the future.
Best Regards

Reviewed 7 July 2014

What can I say, laying in my backyard with a plastic cup of ice tea as my girls splash in the sprinkler just doesn't quite re-enact the glorious week I spent at the Barcelo Maya Tropical! While I'm glad to be home, I'll happily re-live some of it just for my review :)
Traveled with my Mom (June 28-July 5th) on a much needed girls trip (hey, the kids and hubby were with me when we went for Christmas). Who new that this is such an extremely busy week? Apparently I wasn't the only parent celebrating the end homework and lunch packing and spending Canada Day not actually in Canada!
This is my third time to the Mayan Riviera and both other times were spent at the Grand Bahia. We had such glorious trips there that I was nervous to try something new, but this hotel absolutely may become my new "it place"!
A bit shorter transfer time was so nice (due to proximity as well as being in a small van versus those massive "stop every 5 minute" buses) Checkin was actually one of the only downfalls in this trip. It was a lengthy wait and the staff at the front desk were helpful but quite robotic in their speech and not very warm and welcoming....then again, I'm Canadian, I just like to hug everyone....and then say "sorry" for even writing something negative....
Firstly, the layout of this hotel is absolutely perfect and so simple to navigate (unless you are my Mother). Within minutes we could be indulging in the food, sipping a mojito poolside or snorkeling with the fish. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous, tons of flora and fauna and I loved the water features with seating everywhere. A great feature for those who don't care for quite as much heat and sun is the covered walkways connecting rooms to lobby, theatre, buffets, etc. Keep in mind that this is a massive complex made up of 5 sections. We had everything we needed (and more) in just the Tropical section and so felt no need to leave at all.

THE ROOMS: For once a hotel actually took note of our room requests and we were on the 2nd floor away from the theatre (a lesson learned on a previous trip. If you are an early to bed/early to rise type person or have small kids, ask to NOT face the theatre) We stayed in the Veracruz building and it was perfect. Personally I am glad we didn't shell out the extra for "Ocean front" as we were only a 30 second walk behind these rooms.
***Oceanfront is actually not on the beach and rooms have limited views. The pool is actually between the rooms and the beach.
The room itself was kept extremely clean by hard working staff. Plenty of water that was restocked daily, and a Mexican hotel that actually has Corona in the fridge! I'll agree with another reviewer that the A/C works almost too well and sometimes walking into the room felt like one of those "run from the hottub and dive into the snow" type moments. Many times we simply turned it off for the day and it stayed very nice. The balcony was extremely private and had this genius little clothesline that unfolds from the wall. It's nice that the safe is free and you choose your own code for the week rather than carrying a key. Ours wasn't working when we arrived, but was fixed the next day. We also had excellent wifi service in the room.
***Downfall of the hotel is that it also cost me $50 for the wifi, nowadays this is something hotels should provide guests for free, even if just in the lobby. Those who upgraded received it for free...however they also paid a much higher cost to do so.
****The beds ARE firm, but, as I learned from another review, there is a mattress topper between the mattresses and it worked perfectly! Thank you!!

The BEACH: Glorious. The beach is extremely long, making for a gorgeous walk (or run if you are so inclined to actually workoff those extra vacation calories....good for you) I have never seen a hotel so prepared for a mass amount of guests and there were so many chairs that there were as many empty as full. The Southern end (Near Maya Beach) is very quiet, alot less people and gorgeous sandy swim area. Both ends of the beach are impassable, meaning it feels alot more secure and you won't be bothered by beach vendors, etc.
There are no palapas to fight over or block the view and instead there is a multitude of gorgeous palms that provide shade. There is a great dock for fish viewing (kids can buy fish food to feed them) and an awesome floating ring tied to the dock for those less inclined to floating on their own. However, if snorkeling is your thing, it's absolutely awesome just off the dock. We saw plenty of sting rays in the water, and learned to "shuffle" our feet as we went out, just to be safe. Even saw a massive barracuda swim thru, just don't wear super sparkly items into the water. Don't let this scare you, just be aware that you are on their natural home turf. The ocean water was the perfect temperature and a great way to cool off. It was awesome to see so many adults actually out laughing and having fun, splashing around in the waves.
There was no beach service, but the pool bar is very close.

***The Palmeras Beach Grill is one of the best I've been to. It's very large, excellent service and a great selection of food. The view was amazing and it was the perfect break in the day, and a great way to spend the 1 hour of rain we had all week.

THE FOOD: One of the most noted things vs. other places we've visited is the service. We felt "waited on" everywhere. From being "seated" at the buffet to being waited on at the beach grill, the service was incredible and the staff was always so pleasant (especially the morning staff!) I truly believe you get what you put out...."please and thank you" from guests shouldn't be so difficult (Geesh, manners people!!) They work hard and are there to help you, not be treated like Fido with "fetch". The food was excellent and there was always a ton of choice. The morning smoothie and omelet stations were a favorite, with quick service. We booked all 4 a la cartes (book as soon as you arrive) We did go to the Italian, it was good but nothing spectacular. We then cancelled the remainder as we enjoyed the buffet as well as the freedom to eat at whatever time we felt like.

THE POOLS: We are ocean and sand people, so didn't spend much time in the pool. We did enjoy the pool bar once, and the drink service was very quick. I agree that the drinks were inconsistent and most people had to order an additional shot of alcohol or even went and bought their own bottle. The pool water was extremely warm and there was always tons of space. Shade chairs by the pool were probably the hardest to come by if you arrived later. I loved all the hammocks and covered areas. The pool activities looked like alot of fun, and the activity staff is super fun. We found the atmosphere of the pool to be completely different from the beach crowd, alot more party type scene, but clearly everyone there was having a blast.

OTHER:
- There is a "shopping centre" located behind the lobby of the Colonial section that has the typical Mexican market stores, as well as a place where Sunday Church Mass is held.
- There is Dolphin swimming on site.
- There are a ton of activities both free (kayaking, hobbie cats, snorkeling) and $$ (jet skiis, parasailing, etc) available.

HIGHLIGHTS:
- Excellent layout and proximity to everything you need.
- Great buffet food.
- Gorgeous grounds with tons of seating to enjoy the fountains.
- Great service.
- Stunning beach.
- A ton of chairs and shady spots.
- Excellent for families and couples alike.
- Felt very safe traveling as just 2 females.

LOWLIGHTS:
- Wifi was $50 US for the week ($14 US/day)
- Checkin. Slow and unwelcoming.
- The hotel shopping is unbelievably expensive ($10 bag of Doritos and $27 sunscreen)
- The "$2000 in coupons" sound alot more exciting and user friendly than they really are. Unless you are a real coupon user they probably will go in the garbage like ours did.

TIPS BEFORE YOU VISIT:
- Bring plenty of sunscreen from home. It will run you about $30 US for a bottle at the hotel.
- Bring an insulated mug.
- Bring lots of $1 bills for tipping (and yes, tip, they work hard)
- Bring your own snorkel set.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel, it is fantastic.
***Remember that alot of a vacation is your own attitude. If you sweat the small stuff then you won't be able to enjoy the incredible moments. Treat others with respect and kindness if you expect it in return. HOLA!!!!

Room Tip: If you have small kids or an early to bed type, then ask to be away from the theatre.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Siddybear

Dear Siddybear,
We appreciate very much the time expend to share your impressions on Trip Advisor; we are pleased to know you really liked our Service and Facilities. A hotel is defined by the quality of service it provides to its guests. Since our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you know that your comments and suggestions are taken seriously.
We thank you for the opportunity you gave us to host your last vacation and really hope you choose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your next one.
Warmest Regards to Alberta, Canada.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

The nightmare began as soon as we checked in. We paid for 9 days and 2 adjoining rooms as we have 3 young children under the age of 13. They refused to put our rooms together stating they were 'sold' out. The food is not all inclusive nor the drinks. The wifi PER device (not family) is 39$ per 5 days. Room service charges you, they have you sign for the fee & pretend that they do not understand English. The only thing all-inclusive is the buffet breakfast, lunch & dinner. You cannot get a reservation in the other restaurants because they will tell you they are booked. Stay away from this place. The only thing amazing is the oceanfront/snorkeling.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Texassoccer

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to send you a sincere apology for any non intentional incident that you experienced during your stay.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

If you see reviews that have negative reviews of this site chalk it up to the fact that they are probably not happy with most things. Is this resort perfect no, but it is very close. We were put in a room near the theatre and it was very noisy asked to be moved and the request was filled right away, no problem. Beach is great and snorkeling is world class if you get to the outer parts of the reef where it is very clear. Rooms are good and beds not as hard as others say, AC works great almost too good. Buffett are good and you can find something you like. The sit down restaurants are hit and miss with the Japanese restaurant being the best with the seafood a close second. Resort is huge and has something for everyone so stop complaining and have some fun at this great resort you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Stay away from the theatre if you go to bed early.
4  Thank fishboyy
BMAYATROPICAL-GS, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear fishboyy,

The main goal of Barceló Maya Tropical is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, when we read a review like yours we feel we have reached our goal.
We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments,

Warm Regards!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

we go to playa del Carmen every year,and in fact will be retiring in a few years to the playacar area.we have stayed at most hotels in the area,but this was the first time we stayed at the barcelo maya tropical. I COULD KICK MYSELF for not finding this true gem in the Riviera maya.how can anybody in there right mind be not happy here.the staff is truly the shining stars here.they work extremely hard to ensure that your stay is nothing but first rate.they are courteous,helpful and genuine in being sincere that you are here on vacation and want to chill or be on the go.the buffets from the breakfast to the dinners have a lot of variety and quite good.of the premium restaurants both Kyoto and the brassiere were excellent.our room was a mini suite near the beach and pool was always immaculate and the ac was working very well.again I want to the thank the staff for making our family vacation a truly great one that we will not forget.

Room Tip: pay the extra for the premium upgrade.
2  Thank Oscar A

Dear Oscar A,
We really appreciate your kind comments regarding our staff, which is working hard in order to provide a very special stay for all of our guest, we will make sure they’re receiving the proper training so they will be able to serve every single guest as they deserved.
Once again we thank you so much and hope to host you again!
Sincerely

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Got back from Barcelo Maya yesterday (28 June 2014). Had a brilliant time but have a few tips for anyone, especially Brits, considering going there. While we were there we didn't meet any other Brits, the hotel is very much geared for the international market with lots of Americans and Spanish speakers. It is a superb resort, well thought out, well maintained, good atmosphere, great food, good service, good location especially if you like Cenotes (natural fresh water pools), with two theatres and a good Cuban bar (Tropical reception). Excellent for both couples and families. Didn't go to the Jaguar disco or but I should imagine that and the children's activities ticked all the boxes.

If you can afford to go Premium then do - we booked through Thomson/First Choice online and 'premium' was part of the deal. There are five hotels, in order of poshness: l. Beach, 2 Caribe, 3 Colonial, 4. Tropical, 5. Palace. We stayed in the Tropical Hotel in the block nearest the Palace so we had peace and quiet all the time - we are old so this mattered to us. We were very pleased not to be affected by the rebuilding of the Caribe which is going on right now and is very noisy and produces a lot of brick dust for the people in the Uxmal block of the Beach hotel and that side of the Colonial as the hoardings are very low and flimsy. Additionally you may not want to be in any of the rooms overlooking the theatre which sits between the Colonial and Tropical if I you don't want to hear music and the sound of theatre up until 10.30 at night. I can imagine this would be a problem if you don't quickly convert yourselves onto Mexican time - up, breakfast, lots of activity, lunch, long siesta in the afternoon and out again in the evening. Its very hot in the middle of the day. Having said all that the place is absolutely huge so there must be loads of rooms that are not blighted.

Money and Tipping: Take Pesetas and dollars but we put big things on the card. We had a tab within the hotel. The rep said tips are included but really you are expected to tip small amounts all round, we were quite happy to do this but it takes a bit of getting used to. The reception desk carries small change for this purpose.

The only member of staff who was rude was at reception at the Beach Hotel when I asked a very simple question. At the Tropical and Colonial the reception staff are superb so I was quite surprised and saddened.

Buffet: We loved the buffets. Air con, excellent food and you can choose what you want on sight. Its always a very pleasant experience: you are shown to a table, order drinks from the waiter and then have the most wonderful choice of food.

Restaurants: We were given loads of coupons but we found the restaurants too hot and the service was quite slow. The Japanese is a show in itself, don't miss it even if you don't think you like Japanese food. My recommendation - for main course order fried rice, not steamed, and have surf and turf which is cooked in front of you - wonderful!. Our worst experience was the Mexican grill in the Beach Hotel, lot of waiting for the table and the food was OK but not wonderful.

We loved the beach side grill at the Topical Beach, again lots of choice, good service, always a great experience.

The sea was too rough for much snorkelling off the beach but it was lovely for just messing around. We loved the pools, the poolside bar and just chilling in hammocks - there was always plenty of loungers, shade etc.

Just as we left the hotel was beginning to fill up with families but the beach is huge and with the Caribe being rebuilt there will always be somewhere to chill.

Trips: While you are there do at least one ruin.

We went to Coba on the Thomson trip - absolutely brilliant - we were able to climb to the the top and the view was amazing and the guide was very good.

We had a day out by ourselves using a taxi driver we picked up at the hotel. (Its cheaper to use the Collectivo but it can mean a lot of walking) Went to Tulum where the 'professor' showed us round, He speaks very good English and obviously enjoys explaining the history which is fascinating and he brought the whole thing to life. Akumal and seeing the turtles was fabulous. We walked onto the beach with our snorkel gear. We were going to go out on our own but a guy running a little business asked if we wanted to go out to the reef to see more. We decided to take him up on his offer for someone to swim out with us, well worth the money and our bags were safe by a tree in his little roped off area.

Our most spectacular day out was snorkelling off Cozumel, we booked it at the Barcelo dive hut on the beach. The trip is guided including a minibus to Playa del Carmen, ferry tickets, transfer to the Iberostar just off the Palancar and Colombia reefs. You have lunch at their beach buffet and then the Dressel divers take you out on a boat to either dive or snorkel. The reefs are interesting, not as many fish as I was expecting but still wonderful to see, especially the second reef which is long and thin and has lots of interesting formations. Comment: The contrast between the Iberostar and Barcelo was startling, we really noticed the difference in facilities and maintenance - Barcelo makes the Iberostar look and feel like a dump.

Our best mini excursions were to the Cenotes opposite the hotel, we loved the Azul, very small but lots of fish. Please, please respect their rules, no chemicals etc.

Flight back: You have to pay to get out of Mexico - check how much it is. We put it aside at the beginning of the holiday so it didn't get spent accidentally. The Departure lounge is in parts, Gates A1 up are up the escalator and have more shops and coffee shops so go through duty free to wait for the plane.

Have fun

Room Tip: We were on the third floor overlooking area of jungle - superb, watched copybaras chasing each other...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sue s s

Dear Ms. Sue,
We have read your opinion and really appreciate the valuable time you have taken to share your impressions regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical, we are glad to know you were satisfied with the Service of our staff and most of all you were pleased with the Resort. We cannot thank you enough for the great description of the hotel facilities you have made. Thank you very much! Our main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want them to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again. Thank you very much for your recommendation.
We would like to take this opportunity to send you warm regards to West Malling, UK and really hope to host you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#77 of 217 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!