“Terrific Time at the Barcelo Maya Tropical”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Michigan
“Terrific Time at the Barcelo Maya Tropical”
Reviewed 27 March 2009

We had a wonderful time. The check in was quick - one couple was in a different bldg, and at first we thought it would be a hassle. But it ended up to be just fine. The rooms were nice and clean. We had turn down service every night. Some of our friends said it was hit or miss on thier room. Not a big deal to me! If you want wash cloths - they call them face cloths - that took a little bit of communication - but kinda fun.
The pool bar service was slow - they would only have 1 bartender on each side - so we were glad we had our jumbo insulated mugs! Like my husband said "why would they want to wait on you fast - that is more money out of thier pockets."
I wish they had a "fun" bar to socialize at between dinner and the shows. The lobby bar also sold cigars and at times the smoke was offensive.
I really enjoyed the buffet selection - and I am a picky eater. We went to the Japanese restuarant and it was delicious. The seafood restuarant was good. I didn't care for the Italian at all.
The resort was beautiful - the beach clean. I love it when the sand doesn't get boiling hot!
We took a van into Playa Del Carmen and went to Carlos and Charlies - What fun!!!
We had a very relaxing enjoyable week!!
My husband even said he would return! And he swore he would never go to Mexico!

4 Thank HouliMich
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this review, 26 May 2016
Dear HouliMich,

We would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Maya Tropical to expend this holiday o trip o family vacation
Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.
We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (665)
  • Polish first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2009

We stayed in room 7655, room had a 9'x12' balcony with glass in the front so you could see everything sitting down. Bed was comfy with pillow mattress, and we ask for extra pillows which arived quickly. The room overlooked the Palace resort and your balcony was very private (as the people on either side could'nt look around the corner into your room). As look like the case at the Palace?? strange. We left our wide door open every night with just the screen, and found with the overhead fan worked just fine. Only time we used the a/c on our last day as we heard young kids partying about 4am.
We could'nt hear any of the evening shows as we were about a 5minute walk away.
That meant alot of walking to the buffet, pool and beach, so wear a good pair of walking shoes. Took a cab into the local town 15 minutes away for 18.00 US, the driver even ask if he could pick us up 3 hours later at a certain spot, and there he was waving his hands calling out our names. The town is call Palya Del Carmen, which has this one street called 5th ave. which is only for people and tons of shops and resturants. Aslo the prices were cheaper than the resort stores.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank write_to_me___
Dear write_to_me___,

Our goal is complete guest satisfaction.

Kind Regards,

South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed 22 March 2009

First off, I chose this resort on the recommendation of a good friend who I know is quite "picky" and has some pretty high standards. If she said the place was absolutely wonderful, I knew it would be. I was not disappointed. She advised that I book in the Tropical or Colonial and request a third floor room. I went with a girlfriend and while we got a third floor room, we did not get two beds as requested (I had emailed them three times in advance). Only a king bed was available. We were NOT happy but they told us that they could probably accommodate us the next morning. After a couple of days of them giving us the runaround we finally gave up. We decided that except for the bed, the room really couldn't have been any better. We had a nice large balcony with a great view of the gardens. It was spacious enough and very clean, really nothing to complain about at all. We were also close to the pools and the beach, which was also a big plus. Most of the time it was very quiet. We only had a couple of incidents 1) a couple was arguing very loudly on a nearby balcony one morning 2) the last night a group of spring breakers were yelling loudly in the hall at 1 am but I think someone yelled at them and they quieted down. We were told by the front desk that the hotel was fully booked and there were no rooms with two beds. In fact they had several bookings of 3-4 people where they only had a king room to give them. So it sounded like there were others with bigger problems than we had. I would strongly recommend that if you have 3-4 people in your group that you book a suite or more than one room. While the king room did have a couch, it would still be pretty crowded with 3-4 people. By the way, we did not find the bed to be hard at all. They must have listened to others complain because it had a thick pad over the mattress that kept it soft.

Maid service was fine. We did get some "towel" art and a fresh flower. We always got the towels we needed except once when they ran out of hand towels. If we needed more towels, it was usually easy to get it from one of the maids in the hallway. One always seemed to be around. The fridge was fully stocked every day.

The grounds are beautiful. One morning we even saw a mother iguana and her two babies. While the gardens between the buildings were mostly jungle, it still was very beautiful and we loved hearing the birds singing every morning. The covered walkways were really nice, although we noticed much cheaper canvas covered walkways on the Beach/Caribe side. That section of the resort was a lot more casual and laid back. We really liked the decor in the Tropical/Colonial section. The Colonial was darker and more traditional whereas the Tropical was lighter and more modern. But both were very nice. The ponds and the fountains were especially beautiful and very relaxing.

We ate breakfast in the buffet every morning and a couple of times for dinner. Service in the morning was always good. We had our latte and tea served promptly and our waiters were always very helpful and friendly. I've been to a few all-inclusives before and found the quality of the Tropical's buffet to be quite good. There was always plenty of fresh fruit, breads and pastries and a couple of stations making eggs/omelets to order. Our particular favorite though, was the "donut lady" who made the fresh churros. She had this round face and beautiful smile that to me typified the friendliness of the Mexican people. And she made the absolute best churros!!! We so enjoyed them every morning that the day before we left we decided to tip her $5 just to show our appreciation. The other thing I would highly recommend is the coconut ice cream. A couple of times we just skipped dessert at the a la cartes and just went to the buffet for ice cream.

We ate at the five a la carte restaurants - Mexican, steakhouse, seafood, Italian and Japanese. The Japanese restaurant was far and away the best in quality of food and atmosphere. The show the chef put on was really lots of fun and gave us an opportunity to meet other guests. The portions were VERY generous. I had surf and turf which included a good size filet and lobster tail. My friend had rib eye which had to be at least a 10-12 oz steak. I was disappointed in the Italian restaurant. My seafood lasagna was rather dry. For the steakhouse I would recommend the Argentinean sausage appetizer. They were so moist and flavorful. I did get lobster in the seafood restaurant which was also good. I was just thrilled to get lobster twice during my stay since it was my understanding it was out of season. So it was a very pleasant surprise. The Mexican restaurant was pretty good. By mistake we went to the one in the Beach/Caribe side before finding out it was in the grill restaurant by the Colonial beach. It was nice eating down that way. I totally agree with others who say they really wish the grill bars were open in the evening. It is so relaxing being down by the beach at night.

We ate at the grill restaurants for lunch. Service was not usually the best but it was no big deal since it just as easy to make our own drinks. Hamburgers weren't bad. My only complaint was that they were so skinny and they put them on this big bun. If they made them a bit smaller it would have been better. They always had grilled skirt steak which I found very tender and delicious. And there were usually some good sized grilled shrimp that were good but a bit overdone. And of course I had to have ice cream every day there too!

We spent most of our time by the pool. It was never a problem getting a lounger, although the really good spots were usually taken early. The only time I heard someone complain was one day when they said no loungers could be found down by the beach. The pools were great! I didn't think they were too cold at all. I found it rather refreshing. When it's hot outside the last thing I want is lukewarm water! Even though the resort was booked it never felt crowded. For the most part we had peace and quiet, except when the music blared during the water exercises and dance lessons. We soon learned to stay at the farther end of the pool.

We didn't spend a lot of at the beach. It was quite rocky and there were only a few spots where you could avoid the rocks to get further out into the water. The waves got a bit rough and even if you could tiptoe around the rocks you often got pushed onto them whether you wanted to or not. If you have kids, make sure they wear water shoes. I did snorkel a couple of times but the rough surf made that difficult by the beach. I tried over by the pier and that was a lot better. There are a lot of fish and I did enjoy the sea fans. But most of the coral looked dead.

We had drinks most of the time in the Tropical lobby lounge. It has a nice view of the ponds and fountains. However, I only could get a mojito there once (they were out of mint the other times) and a couple of times when I specifically asked for my drink to be made with Bacardi, they used the cheap rum instead. So I just stopped going there. I got the best drinks at the bars in the a la carte restaurants. Mojitos were always available there as well as in the Havana lounge in the Tropical, which always seemed empty. The bar in the lobby in the Colonial was a bit more upscale and I was able to get a Cosmo there, without an extra charge. The swim up and pool bars were a bit disappointing. They usually only had one bartender and the bars were usually dead. I'm used to seeing a lot more activity around the swim up bars in other all inclusives. Most of the time we got our drinks at the pool bar rather than the swim up bar. Even with one bartender the service was fine. I'd recommend the mango daiquiri. It was made with mango puree rather than fruit liqueurs like some of the other drinks. Very tasty! Unless you drink beer, the Bubba Keg is a little big for most drinks. But I'd highly recommend an insulated mug, maybe 12-16 oz. It was the perfect size for rum and cokes or any of the mixed/frozen drinks.

We went to a couple of shows and they were okay. We got bored fast. There was one female singer who we thought was very good. The rest were just so-so. The dancers were good but again, it seemed repetitive. Getting a drink at the bar in the theatre was near impossible. Again, just one bartender. I just don't understand why the resort is so stingy when it comes to hiring bartenders. A few more waitresses would have been helpful too.

We went to the shopping center one morning when it rained and picked up some souvenirs. It was a little expensive but very convenient. Also, I was able to get on the internet every night with my netbook and wireless card. I asked at the front desk and they said if I had my own laptop I could get free wi-fi at the conference center. There are plenty of chairs and tables around the conference center (between the Tropical and Colonial lobbies). So I spent a few minutes each night checking emails and keeping in touch with home.

There were some spring breakers our last couple of days there. But the hotel seemed to be keeping them in check most of the time. They were hanging around the Tropical lobby bar and in and out of the restrooms constantly. It looked a bit suspicious. And it's pretty sad to see such young kids so intoxicated. None of them looked 18 but maybe I'm just getting too old to be able to tell one's age!

All in all this really was a great resort for a vacation. There was something there for everyone. While I always like to go someplace different every year, I would come here again if I got a good enough bargain. While there were a few negatives, they were far outweighed by all the positives.

6 Thank SusanC54
Dear SusanC54,.

We look forward to host you.
Respectfully,

Toronto
Reviewed 20 March 2009

This hotel was AMAZING!
We are in our mid 20s and had a GREAT time! This place is more for families rather than party animals!
The hotel was so clean... spotless! I never saw a dirty area.. not once!
If you have kids, the water parks are amazing! The beach was very rocky and the water was filled with coral, but we didn't mind because we laid around the swim up bar!
The pool water was freezing... but it was very refreshing to cool off! The weather during the day was super hot but at night it became very cool!
The buffet had a ton of selection and was pretty good! The restaurants were amazing. I really enjoyed the Mexican, and Seafood! UNREAL!
The room was nice. We never had any problems with our things going missing. The staff was very nice to us, espcially the water activity people!!
The disco was fun. Some nights it was packed and other nights it wasn't!
The only down fall about the place was there was NO late night buffet. Room service was 24hrs, but was HORRIBLE... there are only 4 options on the menu and it was really gross!!!!!
Overall this place was amazing, and I would go back 100%!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kllc0096
Dear kllc0096,

We would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Maya Tropical to expend this holiday.
The main goal of Barceló Maya Tropical is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want you to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.

Tulsa, OK
Reviewed 20 March 2009

I have been to Mexico 8 times and have never experienced such poor service and quality as we experienced at the Barcelo Maya Tropical. Rooms were broken into. Safes were locked upon leaving, but were unlocked with money missing upon arriving back in the room. Very difficult to get dinner reservations. The quality of the food in buffets was not good, with the exception of breakfast. Beer dispensed out of taps and tasted like it had been watered down. Bartender told us the keg was about 1/2 mile away! There were no bottles of beer.
The pool bar ran out of water bottles one day. We left a tip the first day in our room asking for 6 water bottles. They money was gone, but there were no water bottles. We had to track service personnel down in the hallways and ask for water. We also started asking in the bars/buffets for water bottles to take back to the room.
There was no service for drinks on the beach or at the pool. You had to go up to the bar and wait quite awhile as there were usually only 2 bartenders. One bartender in the swim up pool bar.
Towels were not replenished one day. We had to ask for washcloths. We experienced a blown fuse, so all the outlets in the bathroom and one in the room were not working. No one ever came to fix it.
Positives: Beautiful grounds! Beautiful pool!
There are so many other options in Mexico with excellent service. Don't waste your money here!

• Stayed March 2009
3 Thank kem10
Dear kem10,

We appreciate your kind comments and the time you took to share them on Trip Advisor, it is very important for us to thank our guests’ confidence. We are sorry about your inconvinience.
Our goal is complete guest satisfaction.
We look forward to host you.

Illinois
Reviewed 15 March 2009

We stayed at this resort March 5-12, 2009. We booked this trip through Worryfreevacations. We took the bus to the resort from the airport and arrived at 1:00 and was given our room with 5 all-cart resturant coupons that we booked right after check in. We saved one coupon because we were told we can pick one resturant more than once. So after trying the Sante Fe which was ok but not friendly waiters, Mexican was ok, the Thai was very good and the seafood was excellent so we did the seafood all-cart twice. We had shrimp cocktail, fish soup which had crab and shrimp in it and lobster for our main course and for dessert we had the apple tart with two scoops of ice cream. Very good. We enjoyed our buffet choices too. We never really got tired of any of the food choices. One of the nice things with this resort is you didn't have to get up early in the a.m. with a 2 hour time period like most resorts to make your all-cart resturant choices. They assisted you from 9a.m. until 11p.m. If you like ice cream try the coconut one it is very yummy.
The room was very nice and clean. The bathrooms could of used a fan because after coming out of the bath it took a while for the steamed mirrors to clear but you could always use the blow dryers. The beds were hard to get a good nights sleep but that is always a problem in most hotels since you are away from home. Our room was really centrally located in a good area near the resturants, entertainment and pool/beach area.
The grounds were beautiful and well maintained. The entertainment had a lot to be desired. You couldn't understand a lot of it. Mostly all music was done in spanish and even the annoucer you couldn't understand.
The drinks were very good at all of the bar areas. Our son went with us and he is age 18. He enjoyed the disco which is open from 10:30 to 3:00 a.m. The grounds are well lit, but if you are staying at the Beach or Caribe they have less lighting in there walkways and it's probably because they are older resorts.
They do have a shopping area that is open from 9 a.m.-11 p.m. I would say there is about 20 shops but they all mostly have the same thing in them. If you are looking to buy vanilla, liquor and other items I found that the airport has better prices. One thing we didn't like about buying stuff at the hotel gift shops is that they can't take money you either have to charge it to the room which we don't like to do or go pay the front desk and get your receipt and take it back to the store to get you stuff you bought. I guess they don't trust the workers with a change draw. It's frustrating if you just want to buy some gum or a candy bar.
They do have internet use which is $3.00 for 15 mins.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank keehns3
Dear keehns3,
Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality of services and facilities; we thank you very much for the kind explanation of the Resort.

Respectfully,

Kind Regards,
Warmest Regards,

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Enviamos un saludo muy cordial desde Barcelo Maya Tropical, nos encantaría que se diera un tiempo para visitarnos otra vez. El Resort ha cambiado mucho en los últimos meses. Gracias por sus recomendaciones y comentarios.
CT
Reviewed 15 March 2009

The total complex was extremely clean and very well maintained. The food was outstanding and anyone one that states that they were unable to get reservations in any of the specialty restaurants had to be inflexible concerning the desired seating times. I admit that our reservations ranged from 8:30 to 9:00 nightly, but we ate in five of the different specialty restaurants and the food was well worth the wait. After all, we were on vacation with no pressing appointments so we ate a later lunch, went back to relaxing and enjoyed the rest of the day with a few more drinks. The people are extremely friendly and accommodating and if we had any language barrier problems, they were extremely minor and due to me not speaking their language. However, absolutely no language problems at the desk, specialty restaurants, bars, or with anyone directly necessary in providing guest services. We selected this resort due to excellent pricing and would without a doubt return. Our group consisted of two couples and we have been on vacation to all inclusive resorts on five other occasions and as many cruises and we all believe that this resort is the best that we have vacationed in thus far. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

1 Thank jsierejko
Dear jsierejko,

We really appreciate your loyalty to Barceló Maya Tropical. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, your scores and recommendations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#78 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!