“Second visit and we will return - plenty to do for everyone”

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 8 October 2009

This was our second visit to the Barcelo Maya resort complex. We stayed there in August of 2008 and July of 2009. Our group included Grandparents in their 60's, parents in their 40's, and three teenagers. There is something to do for everyone. There were plenty of activities for the teenagers to get involved in. They played beach soccer and water polo everyday. There were dance lessons and spanish lessons as well. There is even a mini-golf course. The teenagers also enjoyed the water trikes. But we could always find a quiet place to read a book or just relax as well. The food is good. Some of it is excellent. No one in our group ever had trouble finding something to eat. The staff is very friendly, but professional. Some of them are extremely overworked. There were times we wished for faster bar service, but that is really the only complaint I can come up with. The snorkelling right off the beach is good. We saw beautiful tropical fish, a stringray, a reef squid, and even a sea turtle! All that and we never went outside the ropes that mark the swimming area!

My husband is the diver of the family. He really likes the dive shop here. They are well respected and multi-lingual. He always felt safe. They went to great dive spots. He saw turtles nearly every day, as well as sharks.

The grounds are beautiful, and well cared for. Lots of greenery and flowers. There are covered walkways between the buildings. That really helps when it rains, but also keeps the hot sun from beating down on you. The place is big, so you will walk a lot.

We can't wait to go again!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank IslandTan
BMAYAFASEII, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2016

Dear IslandTan,

We appreciate your kind comments and the time you took to share them on Trip Advisor, it is very important for us to thank our guests’ confidence.
The main goal of Barceló Maya Tropical is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure of serving, since we want you to return home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.

gteoperaciones.tropical@barcelomaya.com

Write a ReviewReviews (4,890)

Reviewed 8 October 2009

We found a picture of the PERFECT beach in a travel magazine three years ago and ripped it out and my bf said "Ok this is how every beach should be, Let's find this place" And so we did. Three miles of utterly, soft, powdered-sugar sand beach that has a fantastic unspoiled reef about 50 feet out where you will snorkel easily with huge sunfish over four feet in diameter, huge and small turtles, chomping at the sea grass, so loudly that you can even hear it underwater. Many stingrays swim in and out, and also parrotfish and caribbean squid swimming in formations and changing colors. We also swam with barracuda and boxfish, and watched cleaning stations where the various fish lined up for cleaning like a carwash and all sizes of octopus hunkered down in their holes with their previous meals, now shells piled up in front of them. It's magical here. No wonder the Maya built their temple not far away at Tulum. The unbelievably magnificent scene still remains in my mind and always will; the contrasting turquoise sea banking the dark, black stone of the ruins. We had a blast here and body surfed over 100 feet into the shore. A truly special experience. Go early to this ruin as it gets incredibly hot later in the day. We love Barcelo and even met Senor Barcelo when we were there. We also found extensive information from a website called www.unofficialbarcelomaya.com. The people that created this site have been all over the world and recommended this place. So it was good enough for us. There are things I would change at the Barcelo, but, I have found if you travel with a smile on your mug, people will respond in kind and the way will be smoother. Hope to see you on the beach at Barcelo. Oh and by the way.. we stay there a month each year and NEVER WANT TO LEAVE. Good Travels and New Friends Wherever You Go.! BunnyMIchele

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bustybunny

Dear bustybunny,

We would like to thank you for choosing Barcelo Maya Tropical to expend this holiday o trip o family vacation
Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.
We look forward to host you.
Best wishes,

Reviewed 8 October 2009

My mother and I stayed at the Barcelo Colonial Tropical Resort. It was an outstanding resort. Very classy (not cheesy, like other resorts I have been to) VERY clean and the workers were very helpful and friendly. The grounds are just breathtaking and HUGE! There are beautiful pathways that lead you everywhich way. The pools are large and never crowded even though the resort was completly booked during our stay. The beaches are gorgeous as well as the water. There was PLENTy to do as well as lots of time for relaxation. The Japaenese restaurant was BY FAR our favorite, but get your reservations when you FIRST walk into the lobby after checking in-as we heard it fills up fast during peak time.Skip the sea food restaurant, not that great. The Steakhouse was our 2nd favorite place to eat. Our room did smell a bit musty, even with a properly working A/C, but I guess that is expected when it is humid there all year round.

• Stayed: October 2009
3  Thank kyco23

Dear kyco23,

We have read your opinion and really appreciate the valuable time you have taken to share your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Tropical
We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 15 September 2009

I traveled with my husband and 19 year old daughter. We have absolutely no complaints about the Colonial. Check in went smoothly - we always contact the resort a week before we arrive to make sure we are confirmed. We were greeted with a welcome drink which hit the spot as it was very hot and humid. The grounds were immaculate and the room (Jr Suite) was very clean.

Two of the resorts were closed and our Colonial was maybe 50% full. We could reserve the ala carte restaurants the day we wanted to go. The Japanese (Bali Hai) was our favorite and we ate there twice. The Italian had very good food and we ate there twice. On Wednesday, lobster tails are served on the buffet, so we planned to eat there on that day. I am a picky eater and there was always something I would eat.

The pools were very empty and you did not have a problem getting a lounger by the pool or on the beach. We walked down to the Water Sport area two days and rode the water bikes and sailed the Hobie Cats. One day on the water bike, we saw a large sea turtle, but had no camera with me. The next time I brought my camera and did not see any sea turtles.

Before dinner, we would stop at the lobby bar and have a cocktail. We were upgraded to the gold bands, so we could enjoy the top shelf liquors. We also visited the theatre bar a couple of nights before dinner. The inside lobby bar had nut and olives on the bar and tables for snacks. Also, the lobby bar had coffee, tea and specialty coffees. The lobby bars are what we enjoy before our dinner. The theatre bar had snacks also on the bar. The nightly entertainment was professionally done and the costuming was beautiful.

Our room was a Jr Suite and had a rope hammock on the lanai, which was a popular place most days. We had a desk, couch, coffee table, beds, tv, coffee maker, refrigerator, two shower areas (one with a rain shower head and the other one in the tub). Our bathroom area had large vanity and hair dryer. The toilet was in a separate sliding door area. Our refrigerator was restocked each day, along with peanuts, potato chips and candy bars. Upon arrival, we had a bottle of licorice flavored liquore (D'aristi) in our room, which was manufactured in Mexico. It was delicious and we bought some when we took the collectivo (public transportation) to Playa Del Carmen, which is the way to go into town. We caught it right across the street from the motel entrance.

The business center (internet) was handy, but would have been great if WiFi was available in the rooms. That was the only downfall of this resort.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank balloongirl34

Dear balloongirl34,

Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality of services and facilities; we thank you very much for the kind explanation of the Resort.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 12 September 2009

I often wonder why I always choise a chain hotel. Because I could have better service, better rooms, better etc. The reason why I always choise a chain hotel is, I know what I am getting. Before I enter the room at Barcelos any place in the world, I know where the bathroom is, how the bathroom is, how the breakfast is. So it is safe and very convient, when I arrive to the hotel late at night very tirred and just what to sleep.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Jean B

Dear jeanbastiste,

Barcelo Maya Tropical is lucky to have you as a guest, we deeply thank your loyalty to Barcelo Hotels & Resorts, your finest words regarding our resort is always much appreciated.
A hotel is defined by the quality of service it provides to its guests. Since our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you know that your comments and suggestions are taken seriously.
Once again thank you very much, we would be grateful to have another opportunity to host you and your people in the future.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 11 September 2009

Traveled with my 3 sisters and left our families at home. My sisters had been to the colonial before and that is why we went back. I had never gone anywhere tropical before and honestly it is all I have thought about since. I am booked back in January 2010 with my husband and three teenage children.

It was without a doubt the best week of my life and I am looking forward to sharing this again with my family.
Service, Rooms, Beach,buffet were all 100% fantastic. The only thing that I found less than satisfactory was bartender service ... none of them are very friendly.
I must say that I not sure that I will ever want to go anywhere else.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank barclove

Dear barclove,

We are pleased to know your comments, since they help us to constantly improve, thank you very much for having choose Barcelo Maya Tropical for your vacation as well of your kind recommendation to your friends,
We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. One of our goals is to provide service and facilities of great quality.
We cannot thank you enough for your kind comments

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 10 September 2009

We stayed at the Barcelo Aug 29th-Sept 2nd. Over all we have a good experiance.First the bad- when you check in you have to sign a card saying you will bring back the pink beach towels when you check out or be billed $20 a piece for them. We left our w/ our other used towels and the maid took them and never returned them. we tried to ask her about them and she didnt speak any english at all so when we went to check out they tried to get us to pay for the towles. got kinda heated and I will be watching my bill to make sure we was not charged. the only other not so good things was that the rooms were freezing cold and you could not turn the air off or up and the beds were like concrete. very hard!! the good- The beach was beautiful. rocky but the water was so clear you could avoid the rocks. the pool was very warm and the bar tender at the pool bar was the best!!!! they had a huge buffett and a snack bar to eat at. They also had 2 speciality restaurants open while we were there. the steak place was VERY good. The itialian was horrible. pretty food but not good. one other thing that was kinda a bad deal to us is were were told we would have the run on the tropical and maya beach and they were closed as was there restaurants and pools/ bars. that was a reason we book this location, had we of been told that we would not have that option we would of chose a different location. That was more the fault of our travel agent for giving us wrong info than the resort. Wedid the Mayan Adventure snorkeling and it was great! the guide was very funny and helpful there was 12 in our group so we got one on one if needed. I highly reccomend that. I think it was $172 for the 2 of and and you get dinner is included. We also took a taxi to Playa Del Carmen- $18 one way. definetly an experiance. I recomend doing that to if you like to shop. I think if everything would of been open we would of had a much better time but over all it was nice.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wellbaum99

Dear wellbaum99,

We really appreciate your visit and the time taken to write your impression about your stay, Barceló Maya Tropical is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities, we will work on Front Desk and Food & Beverages issues to improve them.

Respectfully,

#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya
#4 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Tropical? Share your experiences!