“Awful service”

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
“Awful service”
Reviewed 20 June 2011

There's too few people to handle all the guests, front desk is always crowded, concierge desks have never ending queues. At check-out they tried to charge us a different rate, 20% above our reservation. And don't even get me started on the food!

• Stayed June 2011
9 Thank manjmarco
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 10 April 2017
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable review, we are sorry about our reply being delayed as we really appreciate that you have taken some time to write your comments about your experience in our hotel and this comments have been noted and shared with the leaders of every department.
We have been working hard to improve all our opportunity areas in order to achieve all our guests’ satisfaction.
Once again, we thank you for staying with us and hope to welcome back soon.

Regards,

Them Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,263)
  • Polish first
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 20 June 2011

After spending the last 4 years going to the Riviera Maya, 7 to general Cancun area and 10 to Mexican beaches, I can review this:

We stayed 7 nights (group of 15 from 7 year olds to 68, but we'd seperate a lot).

Food at the buffet restaurants was good but too repetitive: pasta/pizza, grilled meat, fruit and desserts every meal, sometimes we'd have some mexican or sushi/oriental but I'd never grown tired of the hotel buffet food until I got here. Food at the french restaurant: DELICIOUS.
The roomservice is 80MXP which is not much really but I'd NEVER seen any all-inclusive hotel charge me.
The restaurants schedules or physical distribution is illogical to me: there's not always food (something you see a lot on all-inclusive hotels/cruises) or at least they won't charge me. And Restaurant 1(the snack/Coral) is the door to Restaurant 2(La Hacienda) which also connects to Restaurant 3.

Service is TERRIBLE. Yes, they may be nice but service is always nice in Mexico. They seemed untrained and all over the place. Usually when I'd stay at other hotels or cruises you'd get up from the table by the time I got back there would not be a dirty plate at the table. if you need a fork, a coffee, whatever they'd get it for you, here they simply clean whenever they want to, and yell accross tables and guests. You'd get to the restaurant's entrance and someone would sit you down at the buffet restaurant but not here, you need to wait at least 5- 15 min for someone to show up or like most did: just sit somewhere and hope you'd get a waiter/waitress.
The french restaurant's waiter was awesome, two thumbs up, he got a nice tip for that. The oriental restaurant was the worst by far, the poor guy had both our tables, but we were the last reservation (21:30) therefore (this couldn't be any more unprofessional) all of the other waiters saw the fatigued guy run, duck and dive to get our orders while the other waiters(who were done by the day) were sitting and chatting at another table.
Not enough? We asked the waitress by the pool for two drinks, one called suero which is anti-nausea, because my young cousin felt really sick (thanks to the restaurant's food). She didn't take 15, 20, but 40 minutes to get 2 drinks (the bar was at most 30 feet from us) -After 10 minutes of waiting I simply got up and asked for the drinks myself. And for a plus: my cousin started to throw up, I ran to the bar to get a bag.. he shrugged uniterested that he couldn't help me and told me to ask at the towel place. Are you kidding me?

Sleep Quality was good (noise), except that I slept at the bed and my back would hurt and if I slept at the sofa/small bed I would be kind of unconfortable. But rooms are very pretty, space is very good, you have nice big drawers, closets, shower and bathroom (which was very convenient for my aunt who has 2 small girls).

The hotel generally is very pretty, it has very pretty pools, bars, etc. The hotel's instalations were excellent but everything is conglomerated next to the lobby, therefore if you got a room at the last building(like most of guests, unless you're at the suites) you'd have to take a somewhat long walk to have breakfast, to get to the pool, to get to the lobby, etc etc.
On the bright side: there really are lots of fishes and sea turtles. You can look at them with goggles and kids will be excited to look at them for at least 20 minutes.

My suggestions:
When you get there, ask for a room the closest to the lobby/pools (at least they'll try).
Food: try the french restaurant! Delicious.
Restaurants: Eat fruit and try mixing the pastas. Breakfast: omelettes, fruit, cereal.
Bars (pool or lobby): give the waitress a tip when you get there, we noticed this worked MUCH better than waiting for them to want to bring drinks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room the closest to the lobby/pools.
1 Thank michmaciasg
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 5 January 2017
Dear Guest,
First of all we want to thank you for your preference and we appreciate the fact that you took some time to write your feedback about our resort.
As a hotel is it is very satisfactory to see that our guests enjoyed their stay here, and we will continue providing the service with the same quality about the things you liked and improving in our areas of opportunity as the ones you´ve mentioned.

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 17 June 2011

This was our first trip to the area and we were very impressed! The views, beach, super huge pools, snorkeling, service etc were fantastic :) I can honestly say that I don't understand where the negative reviews are coming from. Great place for kids of all ages. We will definately return!

Room Tip: unofficial-barcelo-maya.com is a great resource!
5 Thank GEKMAK
Dear Guest,
As a hotel is it is very satisfactory to see that our guests enjoyed their stay here, and we will continue providing the service with the same quality and improving in our areas of opportunity.

Best Regards.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I was here about 1 year ago and just recently decided to write a review about this place. Therefore, I'm not sure how accurate my review would be 1 year later. Overall this resort was nice, although there are a few downsides. I have traveled to MX twice, once to Cancun and the second time was to this resort.

BEACH-Beautiful, but crowded beach. the beach here has some rocks, but you can definitely find places with just soft sand to play in the water. The nice thing is that there is a coral reef just right on the beach where you can snorkel and see quite a bit of fish in very shallow water (I snorkel a lot, but can't really swim), which I enjoyed a lot! The beach spans over to the other Barcelo resorts so a wide stretch of sand you can walk forever. There is a nice area by the restaurants you can stand and take pictures in as well. There are chairs, which is rarely a problem to find at all times during the day or afternoon, and palm trees that you can sit under. That was pretty awesome as you'll enjoy the breeze underneath the trees. I do have to say that the resort, when I went, was full of kids and the beach was quite busy. So if you are into secluded beaches, this is not for you. I overall loved the beach here.

FOOD-not the greatest, the best restaurant would be the French restaurant. The worse would be the Japanese/sushi restaurant. The restaurants take FOREVER to get in, I think we waited for about 1 hour at one point, kind of ridiculous. However, if I was to go back, I would go to buffet since they had about 2-3 different buffets, and they were all great with good selection of food. I'm not extremely picky with food, but I thought it was decent.

RESORT-a lot of walking, ask for a place close by the beach/restaurant, it took me about 5-10 min to walk to beach/restaurant everyday, and I'm healthy active in my late 20's. Beautiful pools at night, there are several to choose from and not very crowded at night, the water is nice and warm and very beautiful palm trees in the middle of the pool. There were a show everynight and you can go to the sister resorts to watch their shows there. I only saw one show and it was ok, the auditorium where the show was was huge and amazing though. I heard the Michael Jackson show was good, but didn't see it. Check in was very slow and service can be slow, but I really didn't care much about it as we didn't have major issues. I can imagine though if we had major issues, it would be turn out well with how slow things were. Also, you get free snorkel gears, but it was only I think for a couple of hours or so.

Overall, I had a good experience, didn't get sick and had lots of fun. I went with my friends so it was fine, but probably wouldn't go back with a significant other since it was crowded with lots of kids when we went.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank nguy0774
Dear Guest,

We are very happy about your feedback as our main goal is to leave all our Guest satisfied . We will continue all the hard work to keep satisfying all our guests and we hope to host you back real soon!!

Colorado
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Palace in a Club Suite for 9 nights. In general we have mixed feelings about this resort. While we were there the resort was not full and they had closed some of the restaurants. While the food in the specialty restaurants was very good, the buffet was sub standard for a Hotel of that class. Not enough selection and same selection every day. Not sure if this was a result of the low occupancy at the time we were there.
The Rooms, however, were very nice, clean and comfortable. As was the pool and the common areas.
The attitude of some of the staff people was a bit questionable. We would have expected more friendly staff. Pool side service was very spotty.
We have stayed in better hotels in the same areas and will not return to this resort as the over value was just not there.

3 Thank BTH_ald
Dear Guest,

We appreciate all your feedback , we wanted to apologize about the delay on the reply but rest assured that this valuable comments have been shared with all our leaders of each department of the hotel in order to continue providing the positives and avoid the negatives to achieve our main goal which is Guest satisfaction.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back !!

Best Regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We stayed at this resort 7 days in June 2011.
Pros: Beautiful Resort,very clean, good food,you can get a la carte reservations at any of the Barcelo resorts as many time as you like,drink selection is excellent,shuttle bus to get to the other resorts,beautiful water (beach),big pools,smaller adult pool with beds,room was always clean and modern look.Lots of chairs by the beach and pool. About 20 min from Playa del Carmen, we went to the Coba ruins tour with altournative(visit a Mayan village,cenote,ziplining,canoeing) it was very fun.We also went to Coco Bongo with Hector on a friday he was very nice, we went with a group,express line up about 10 min wait..very good compared to the 1h wait for regular line up.It was 65$/pers on friday.We also had a photo session by the beach the photographer was very nice (Gabriel) and took very professional (beautiful) pictures.Lobby bar has snacks and is open 24/7.

Cons: If your bracelet is not a "certain" color they will not give you cards for towels wich means you have to walk around with your towels, this annoyed me because for 2 days they gave us cards and after they "suddenly" had this rule. Clients that pay more for there rooms get Better service and this is very noticable specially at the restaurants. I dont think this a fair customer service. The waiters,bar tenders were nice but no as friendly as we have seen at other resorts. The only restaurant where we got excellent service was the Brasserie, French restaurant, and we had a really good bartender at the main lobby bar.
The beach is beautiful but there is a lot of rocks in the sand.
You also have to pay for room service and internet 3 US $/15 min. 12$ a day for wi-fi only in the main lobby.We also had to make a local phone call and the receptionnist did not offer for us to use their phone.(our friends at a Riu in playa del carmen paid lot less for their resort and had free wi-fi and local phone calls from the lobby)
The resort is beautiful with many small flaws that if improved could make this the perfect resort.

Room Tip: Regular Jr Suite are 6 min walk to main loby/beacb
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StephGL

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 June 2011

If your looking for a place like hell, come to this resort. Bad service, bad food(always the same), bad chicks. The people who work there are so bad that twise, we almost got into a physical and verbal fight. which is totally off balance for a worker you loose all respect. So just dont go I swear you will regret it.
tio Jorge

Room Tip: no free room service, no all inclusive
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
10 Thank Icomewithguillermo

Dear Guest,

Once again, we thank you for staying with us and hope to welcome back soon.

Regards,

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,981 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,726 reviews
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,325 reviews
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!