“Beautiful resort - we'll be back!”

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Baltimore, Maryland
“Beautiful resort - we'll be back!”
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Recently, myself and a group of forty close friends and family gathered at the Barcelo Maya Palace for my sister’s wedding. All together we were a group of forty and on behalf all of us, I feel compelled to start this review by saying – we loved this hotel.

Rooms –
We had a basic room which was very nice – it could easily sleep four to six people as the room includes a separate twin bed and couch in addition to the other bed(s). The bathroom was large, with a double shower, two modern sinks, and a separate toilet area. Overall, we were very impressed by the room which was clean, spacious, and tastefully decorated.

Food & Drink-
There are two main buffets at the Palace, both of which are air conditioned with the option to be seated on an outside terrace. Overall, the buffet food is good – there are a lot of options and a good variety – there are also many stations where food can be prepared right in front of you to your own specifications. I have to admit, I wasn’t overly impressed by the al la carte restaurants, they require a lot of time (there is large gaps between courses) for a small portion of average cuisine.

As a non-drinker, I can’t comment much on the quality of the alcoholic drinks at the Palace. However, my companions seemed genuinely pleased by the mixed drinks and were very pleased by the Palace’s draft beer (Modelo).

Service-
I had no problems with the service at the Palace. You can tell the employees work their hardest to keep everyone happy and our group never had any problems with the staff.

Wedding-
My sister’s wedding was beautiful, she got married in the gazebo which is right in front of the ocean. The ceremony went flawlessly, the food at the reception was the best we had eaten all week, and everybody left happy.

Grounds-
The grounds are beautiful and very clean with lots of unique statues and artwork spread all around the hotel. The staff works hard to keep the grounds spotless and you continuously see employees sweeping, removing trash, and maintaining the buildings, pathways, etc..

There is a massive pool at the Palace, which is full of all kinds of fountains, water spouts, and a type of water rock wall that you can climb. The pool is very clean, the water is the perfect temperature, and there is plenty of seating in the pool area.

The beach at the Palace is a sight to behold. The water is beautiful and warm, there is plenty of shade under the numerous palm trees on the beach, and the views are spectacular. There is lots of sea life in the ocean which offers good snorkeling and on numerous occasions sea turtles would pop their head out of the water, a mere five feet away from Palace guests.

The Verdict-
If you are looking for a relaxing, beautiful, five-start resort in Mexico then the Barcelo Maya Palace is an excellent choice. My group and I fell in love with this resort, head over heels in love, with the excellent food and drink, beach, sun, and service that the Barcelo offers. We are already looking into booking another group stay at this resort next year. I am the first to admit that I have high expectations, I am a critic first and a fan second; I don’t say things like “this is the best hotel I have ever stayed at”, and I certainly am honest and critical in my reviews.

However, the Palace has compelled me to say the thing that I never say, the superlative that is normally used by happy-go-lucky vacationers - this is the best hotel I have ever stayed at.

7 Thank Samantha124
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 5 January 2017
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your amazing feedback, this motivates us as a hotel to keep up the good work and improve day by day to create great experiences to our guests.
We really appreciate your evaluation and hope to welcome you back soon!!

Warm Regards

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,283)
  • Polish first
Arkansas
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Spent 11 days 10 nights at this resort. I have for many years traveled to all inclusive resorts. I always get a laugh at reading the reviews here at Trip Advisor before and after my stay.
Lets start by saying The Hotel could not have been more beautiful! The rooms (twin beds
pool view) were amazing! My entire trip from Arkansas with insurance, private transfer to and back from Cancun with air and taxes was $4700.00 for 3 adults. Note this because you can spend double that easy and more!
Lets start with the whiner's, some people cannot ever be pleased! That said the buffet was great, did not matter what time you showed up you were seated within 3 minutes. Even if you are a picky eater you could gain 10 lbs at the buffet in a week! LOL Made to order eggs, t-bone or rib eye steaks your choice at lunch or dinner. made to order fresh fish seasoned as you like, bottled water at every meal. The list goes on forever. No Complaints. The servers worked fast and tried to meet your every need. Was it a 5 star Mortons or Ruth's Chris steak? Not! But what were you expecting?? Did we have a private waiter at our table changing out our napkin every time we wiped our mouths? Not! Go in with an open mind and be real, it was all good.
We ate at the French, Sea Food and Brazillan restraunts at the palace and went to the Tropical for their steak house. We liked the Brazillan the best, the service was good at all of them. The food was average but good. We were a party of 12 and others wanted to try the different places. I enjoy the buffets because no long pants are required and no time limits. If I am out at the beach enjoying myself and I dont want to leave to get ready for a 7PM dinner, then the buffet is always there, just my choice. The charge $$ for room service was a bad call on their part, they should change this to free room service.Bar service at the large swim up bar was the longest wait, maybe 5 minutes a couple of times but they had 3 bartenders working as fast as they could. Booze was good, we drank alot of baileys and grand mariner at night. They had a good selection of gin, tequila, top shelf names and never once asked for a stiff pour. I read in some of the reviews that the booze must be watered down? Not the case I promise. If I had to pick the staff with the worst attitude I would say the large swim up bar but I will also add, try working as fast as you can from 10am to 7pm making hundreds and hundreds of drinks for people that are at times sloppy drunk and irrated because their drink did not arrive in 60 seconds! Their is job is tough and I only saw a few people lay a dollar bill out on the bar as a tip??!! These bartenders make 75 Pesos a day! US thats $7.50 for a 10 hour shift! Pass a tip along every so often and give the staff a break, they are not there to be your slaves!
The Adult pool was great, bartender there was awesome. Got boring as I like the beach and to people watch. The Beach is wonderful, some coral but if you look down you can see anything in your path as the water is crystal clear.
The layout of this Hotel was a bit odd, no snack food close to the pools? The resturants were all together and were a walk to get there. Could have been laid out better but the short walk never was a big deal to us.
We played minature golf, snorkeled, pitch and put, tennis amd shuffle board.
We went out on a three quarter day fishing boat, caught 1 fish, not a great day but oh well that is fishing. Tequila Sunrise fishing, ask for Glen, nice operation! Glen can also set you up with a 12 passender van amd driver for $300 US, 10 hours. We went to Coba ruins, Tulum ruins and to a small cenote for a cool swim at the end of the day. It was $5 pp to get into both ruins and $2 pp for the cenote. The Hotel wanted $1680.00 US for this trip with lunch included, that was $140 pp. We had a great lunch with beers for 12 people plus entrance into 2 ruins and a private tour guide for each ruin and a cenote swim with van and driver for $$834, that included a $50 tip for our driver. Call Glen at Tequila sunrise sport fishing!
The shows at night at the Palace were inside a huge AC ball room. Shows were typical and had good service.
The Colonial has a cigar lounge called the Habana room. Small, quaint. Emillo was the bartender, had one great night there, lots of fun if you enjoy cigars. The Jaguar club was the disco, well laid out with private seating upstairs for a price$. Nice club.
All in all I thought this area was far superior to Cancun. For the price is was a great value!
Yes we had a few cranky no smile servers along the way but out of 11 days we had great service at a great Hotel. This is not a 5 star Hilton Hotel so if you go in with an open mind I am sure you will have a great time !! Smile at the Mexican people and they will smile back!
I would go back no doubt!

Room Tip: Never in room. Pool view better value!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank BigJoe8888
Dear Guest,

We are very happy about your feedback as our main goal is to leave all our Guest satisfied . We will continue all the hard work to keep satisfying all our guests and we hope to host you back real soon!!

Reviewed 20 June 2011

There's too few people to handle all the guests, front desk is always crowded, concierge desks have never ending queues. At check-out they tried to charge us a different rate, 20% above our reservation. And don't even get me started on the food!

• Stayed June 2011
9 Thank manjmarco
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 10 April 2017
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable review, we are sorry about our reply being delayed as we really appreciate that you have taken some time to write your comments about your experience in our hotel and this comments have been noted and shared with the leaders of every department.
We have been working hard to improve all our opportunity areas in order to achieve all our guests’ satisfaction.
Once again, we thank you for staying with us and hope to welcome back soon.

Regards,

Them Management
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 20 June 2011

After spending the last 4 years going to the Riviera Maya, 7 to general Cancun area and 10 to Mexican beaches, I can review this:

We stayed 7 nights (group of 15 from 7 year olds to 68, but we'd seperate a lot).

Food at the buffet restaurants was good but too repetitive: pasta/pizza, grilled meat, fruit and desserts every meal, sometimes we'd have some mexican or sushi/oriental but I'd never grown tired of the hotel buffet food until I got here. Food at the french restaurant: DELICIOUS.
The roomservice is 80MXP which is not much really but I'd NEVER seen any all-inclusive hotel charge me.
The restaurants schedules or physical distribution is illogical to me: there's not always food (something you see a lot on all-inclusive hotels/cruises) or at least they won't charge me. And Restaurant 1(the snack/Coral) is the door to Restaurant 2(La Hacienda) which also connects to Restaurant 3.

Service is TERRIBLE. Yes, they may be nice but service is always nice in Mexico. They seemed untrained and all over the place. Usually when I'd stay at other hotels or cruises you'd get up from the table by the time I got back there would not be a dirty plate at the table. if you need a fork, a coffee, whatever they'd get it for you, here they simply clean whenever they want to, and yell accross tables and guests. You'd get to the restaurant's entrance and someone would sit you down at the buffet restaurant but not here, you need to wait at least 5- 15 min for someone to show up or like most did: just sit somewhere and hope you'd get a waiter/waitress.
The french restaurant's waiter was awesome, two thumbs up, he got a nice tip for that. The oriental restaurant was the worst by far, the poor guy had both our tables, but we were the last reservation (21:30) therefore (this couldn't be any more unprofessional) all of the other waiters saw the fatigued guy run, duck and dive to get our orders while the other waiters(who were done by the day) were sitting and chatting at another table.
Not enough? We asked the waitress by the pool for two drinks, one called suero which is anti-nausea, because my young cousin felt really sick (thanks to the restaurant's food). She didn't take 15, 20, but 40 minutes to get 2 drinks (the bar was at most 30 feet from us) -After 10 minutes of waiting I simply got up and asked for the drinks myself. And for a plus: my cousin started to throw up, I ran to the bar to get a bag.. he shrugged uniterested that he couldn't help me and told me to ask at the towel place. Are you kidding me?

Sleep Quality was good (noise), except that I slept at the bed and my back would hurt and if I slept at the sofa/small bed I would be kind of unconfortable. But rooms are very pretty, space is very good, you have nice big drawers, closets, shower and bathroom (which was very convenient for my aunt who has 2 small girls).

The hotel generally is very pretty, it has very pretty pools, bars, etc. The hotel's instalations were excellent but everything is conglomerated next to the lobby, therefore if you got a room at the last building(like most of guests, unless you're at the suites) you'd have to take a somewhat long walk to have breakfast, to get to the pool, to get to the lobby, etc etc.
On the bright side: there really are lots of fishes and sea turtles. You can look at them with goggles and kids will be excited to look at them for at least 20 minutes.

My suggestions:
When you get there, ask for a room the closest to the lobby/pools (at least they'll try).
Food: try the french restaurant! Delicious.
Restaurants: Eat fruit and try mixing the pastas. Breakfast: omelettes, fruit, cereal.
Bars (pool or lobby): give the waitress a tip when you get there, we noticed this worked MUCH better than waiting for them to want to bring drinks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room the closest to the lobby/pools.
1 Thank michmaciasg
Dear Guest,
First of all we want to thank you for your preference and we appreciate the fact that you took some time to write your feedback about our resort.
As a hotel is it is very satisfactory to see that our guests enjoyed their stay here, and we will continue providing the service with the same quality about the things you liked and improving in our areas of opportunity as the ones you´ve mentioned.

We hope to welcome you back soon !!

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 17 June 2011

This was our first trip to the area and we were very impressed! The views, beach, super huge pools, snorkeling, service etc were fantastic :) I can honestly say that I don't understand where the negative reviews are coming from. Great place for kids of all ages. We will definately return!

Room Tip: unofficial-barcelo-maya.com is a great resource!
5 Thank GEKMAK
Dear Guest,
As a hotel is it is very satisfactory to see that our guests enjoyed their stay here, and we will continue providing the service with the same quality and improving in our areas of opportunity.
We hope to welcome you back soon !!

Best Regards.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I was here about 1 year ago and just recently decided to write a review about this place. Therefore, I'm not sure how accurate my review would be 1 year later. Overall this resort was nice, although there are a few downsides. I have traveled to MX twice, once to Cancun and the second time was to this resort.

BEACH-Beautiful, but crowded beach. the beach here has some rocks, but you can definitely find places with just soft sand to play in the water. The nice thing is that there is a coral reef just right on the beach where you can snorkel and see quite a bit of fish in very shallow water (I snorkel a lot, but can't really swim), which I enjoyed a lot! The beach spans over to the other Barcelo resorts so a wide stretch of sand you can walk forever. There is a nice area by the restaurants you can stand and take pictures in as well. There are chairs, which is rarely a problem to find at all times during the day or afternoon, and palm trees that you can sit under. That was pretty awesome as you'll enjoy the breeze underneath the trees. I do have to say that the resort, when I went, was full of kids and the beach was quite busy. So if you are into secluded beaches, this is not for you. I overall loved the beach here.

FOOD-not the greatest, the best restaurant would be the French restaurant. The worse would be the Japanese/sushi restaurant. The restaurants take FOREVER to get in, I think we waited for about 1 hour at one point, kind of ridiculous. However, if I was to go back, I would go to buffet since they had about 2-3 different buffets, and they were all great with good selection of food. I'm not extremely picky with food, but I thought it was decent.

RESORT-a lot of walking, ask for a place close by the beach/restaurant, it took me about 5-10 min to walk to beach/restaurant everyday, and I'm healthy active in my late 20's. Beautiful pools at night, there are several to choose from and not very crowded at night, the water is nice and warm and very beautiful palm trees in the middle of the pool. There were a show everynight and you can go to the sister resorts to watch their shows there. I only saw one show and it was ok, the auditorium where the show was was huge and amazing though. I heard the Michael Jackson show was good, but didn't see it. Check in was very slow and service can be slow, but I really didn't care much about it as we didn't have major issues. I can imagine though if we had major issues, it would be turn out well with how slow things were. Also, you get free snorkel gears, but it was only I think for a couple of hours or so.

Overall, I had a good experience, didn't get sick and had lots of fun. I went with my friends so it was fine, but probably wouldn't go back with a significant other since it was crowded with lots of kids when we went.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank nguy0774

Colorado
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Palace in a Club Suite for 9 nights. In general we have mixed feelings about this resort. While we were there the resort was not full and they had closed some of the restaurants. While the food in the specialty restaurants was very good, the buffet was sub standard for a Hotel of that class. Not enough selection and same selection every day. Not sure if this was a result of the low occupancy at the time we were there.
The Rooms, however, were very nice, clean and comfortable. As was the pool and the common areas.
The attitude of some of the staff people was a bit questionable. We would have expected more friendly staff. Pool side service was very spotty.
We have stayed in better hotels in the same areas and will not return to this resort as the over value was just not there.

3 Thank BTH_ald
Dear Guest,

We appreciate all your feedback , we wanted to apologize about the delay on the reply but rest assured that this valuable comments have been shared with all our leaders of each department of the hotel in order to continue providing the positives and avoid the negatives to achieve our main goal which is Guest satisfaction.

We hope we have the chance to welcome you back !!

Best Regards,

Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!