“Best Vacation Ever”

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 6 November 2012

This review is super late because I travelled to this hotel with 3 others in September 2009 but I'm planning my next vacation and realized I never wrote my review and fully intended too after my last trip. We went during a very slow period as it was super hot in September and had actually booked to the Barcelo Tropical but were immediately hotel and room upgraded upon arrival to the Palace. The rooms were amazing, particularly the bathrooms. Updated furniture and no bugs whatsoever the entire week. The grounds were impecable and there were staff cleaning day and night. It was as if the whole place was cleaned with toothbrushes it was so nice. The pools were perfect and everything was free so you just find a chair and enjoy. The beach was amazing and we had no issues with going in the ocean daily. Food was amazing whether hitting a buffet or a la carte. Can't say enough about my expereince, I will definitely be going back. I may even take my entire extended family on our first ever vacation together to this resort in Spring 2013. If you are into excursions, definitely hit XPLOR - it was the best day of our trip handsdown! and it's close to the resort.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mayday1980
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your amazing feedback, this motivates us as a hotel to keep up the good work and improve day by day to create great experiences to our guests.
We really appreciate your evaluation and hope to welcome you back soon!!

Warm Regards

Reviewed 5 November 2012

My husband and I stayed here the last week in September. We had a great time. The place was only about 1/3 full. We had a very nice room 8609, with a view of the pool. Service was excellent everywhere. We ate at all of the ala carts. Since it was not real busy, the buffet was only open for breakfast and lunch. The pool is HUGE and the water was warm. I loved the beach, the ocean was also warm. We did have to go next door to the Colonial pool if we wanted to talk to people since it was pretty dead at our pool and bars. I would definitely go again, but will take friends with next time.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Guest,

We are very happy about your feedback as our main goal is to leave all our Guest satisfied . We will continue all the hard work to keep satisfying all our guests and we hope to host you back real soon!!

Reviewed 5 November 2012

just got back this past weekend from a weeklong vacation there. we arrived on sunday oct 29th a little before 12:30 pm the bell hop took our luggage and placed it to the side where they "gaurded" it. our room wasn't ready yet but they checked us in; gave us our bracelets, towel cards and a map of the resort and told us to check back in 40 mins to see if our room was ready. another couple that was trying to check in alongside us was told that their room wouldn't be ready until after 3pm so i felt bad for them that they had a long wait.
my husband and i took that time to head down to meet Pedro Fernandez by the fitness center, he was our contact for Best Day Travel shuttle service and was also a representative for Expedia (whom we had booked the trip with). Pedro was fantastic made us feel at ease was really nice told us about the tours that they offered but didn't pressure us. let us know that we could find him there everyday between the hours of 8:30 and 5pm. after booking our return shuttle with Pedro. hubby and i walked the beach a little and then returned to the lobby where we were told that our room was ready.

we got to our room and was eager to head down to the beach, but our luggage hadn't arrived yet. not wanting to seem pushy we gave it 40mins before calling the front desk. after our luggage was brought up we quickly changed into our swimsuits, pulled out our snorkel gear slathered on some water resistant sunblock and headed to the beach. it was sunny and beautiful 2:30-3pm the beach was barely crowded, mostly families and older couples. the younger rowdy crowds showed up around 5-6pm. hubby and i explored the reef and i got a few good shots with my underwater camera before the batteries went out :( we forgot our towels so we just laid out on a lounger to dry off before gettting dressed and heading back to the room.

the next morning, we ordered room service for breakfast. it took an hour to get to the room and was cold. but we were in paradise and didn't mind. we headed back into the water and came out around noon to head to the beachside grille for lunch. i'm unacustomed to just walking in grabbing a plate and sitting down to eat. so i asked a waitress if we should just sit down anywhere or if we had to wait to be seated. well, she didn't speak any english, and didn't understand me. she made a huge production and called over a coworker who explained to us that yes we just had to pick a table sit and someone will be around to take our drink orders. so thats what we did, but for the rest of our lunch that same waitress just seemed to glare at me. needless to say we didn't frequent the beachside grille often. BTW, the food was awful.

and thats about where the end of my fantastic vacation ended. because the next day i was hit with two things. 1. a really bad sunburn on my back that blistered and gave me nothing but misery for the rest of my trip, and 2. a head cold complete with sore throat, sneezing, fever, nausea, and stomach aches. i didn't leave the room for 2 days, and couldn't get any relief because the beds were horribly stiff and uncomfortable. i hung a "do not disturb sign" on the door because frankly my sunburn prevented me from wearing a top and i didn't want to flash the housekeeping staff.

on our last day there my husband and i went to the Plaza in search of Advil. the bottle that i brought was all gone and i needed it to feel halfways decent. we asked around and was told to try the "mini mart" by the Jaguar club. we got there and i was so happy to see on the shelf behind the cashier a ton of medicine, and quickly spotted the Advil. we asked the lady if we could see the boxes of advil (we wanted to buy two, and there were 3 different kinds of advil, max strength, liquid capsules, and regular which is the kind that works best for me) well the lady was rude and didn't want to pull down the rest of the boxes which was litterally right behind her head. we sat there and argued with her until she finally pulled down the other two boxes (which were the two that we wanted) so we bought the advil and asked if we could charge it to the room (which is what we had been doing all along) she snapped at us and said "NO!" so we paid her and left.
Later that night my husband (who wasn't sunburned or sick for that matter) dragged me out of the room to the dinner buffet. when we got back an hour later we discovered that the room had been cleaned in a hurry; mind you this was at 8:30 at night. i don't mind that the room was cleaned, but it was kind of creepy because it seemed like they had been watching us to see when we would leave the room...

Anyways my bad luck followed me home. the shuttle ride to the airport was fine until the driver got a call on his cell phone and started driving erractically which didn't help my nausea. we got to the airport checked our luggage and apparently i got pegged for "the golden ticket of fondling" through the security checkpoint i was given a clear bin (different from the norm) and had to wait off to the side for 20 mins to wait to let security randomly search my bags.

and when we boarded the plane certain "Random" people were required to step off to the side to get patted down and searched by secruity. well, you don't have to be a genious to figure out that i was one of the lucky ones to be searched. i had to remove my belt, my shoes, lift up my shirt, get patted down, then i had to have the metal wand waved over my body to make sure they didn't miss anything in the pat down, my bags were searched once more and then i was let go and i went on with my merry way. which is always fun to sit next to other people on the plane who have just watched you throughly searched and are now very suspicious of you... anyway...

The resort is beautiful i can't fault them for the sunburn/sickness/shuttle driver/ or airport experience. the grounds were impeccable. the service was good, the bell hops were rude (they snickered and laughed at patrons behind their backs) the lady in the mini mart was horribly rude, but aside from that most of the staff was very friendly. housekeeping was nice, and the front desk was fantastic. i never saw security patrolling the beaches at night but then again i always felt safe. i don't go on very many vacations and hardly go to the same place twice, so with that said i doubt i will ever be back to Mexico let alone Barcelo. though i do recommend staying there. i believe the next trip hubby and i take will be Rome, London, or perhaps somewhere in America.

oh yes one more thing, every single day that i was on the Palace beach i always saw cigarette butts in the sand, disgusting. I am not a cigarette aphobe, both my parents were chain smokers when i was growing up and i have smoked on and off for some of my adult life, but its disgusting to walk to the beach and step on cigarette butts scattered everywhere. i do suspect the marjority of the cigarette butts came from the copious amount of chain-smoking Germans that were staying at the resort at the time, it is probably normally very clean... but on that note I was very surprised to see how many Europeans (French, Italians) were there. the staff seemed surprised to see Americans, but used to seeing Europeans; so i'm guessing most Americans are too timid to come to the Riviera Maya, (i found it to be safe down there).

Room Tip: 8141 was nice, quiet and not too far of a walk to pools/beach/lobby
3  Thank Audra82

Dear Guest,
First of all we want to thank you for your preference and we appreciate the fact that you took some time to write your feedback about our resort.
As a hotel is it is very satisfactory to see that our guests enjoyed their stay here, and we will continue providing the service with the same quality about the things you liked and improving in our areas of opportunity as the ones you´ve mentioned.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I've stayed at several all inclusives. The property is lovely and service very good. I would say the food - especially at the specialty restaraunts is above average for these resorts. The quality of the drinks was also exceptional. The only drawbacks to this property were the large rocks on the beach. The beach is rather rough and not real good for people who enjoy playing in the ocean.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Connie J

Dear Guest,
As a hotel is it is very satisfactory to see that our guests enjoyed their stay here, and we will continue providing the service with the same quality and improving in our areas of opportunity.

Best Regards.

Reviewed 3 November 2012

Our 5th trip to the Barcelo Palace Oct 19-26. Nothing much has changed since our our first visit in 2007. We had a few glitches, but it was everything we have come to expect.

We requested a centrally located room in the Oaxaca building, but received a room in the last section. We were given the usual "we are at capacity and we can't move you". As it turns out the resort was pretty full due to several conventions being held.

We arrived early so we knew the room wasn't ready. We had been at another resort the prior week, so we arrived in our beach clothes. We went to lunch, found some shade for a nap. Checked back later and the room was ready. Walked in and discovered the spout to one of the sinks was laying on the counter. So back to reception with the spout in hand. Placed it on the desk and politely asked for another room. This time we were placed in the Michocan building. Still a good distance away, but hey we are in good shape, so we didn't mind the walk.

When we were on our way to the Palace, we noticed a heightened appearance of federal troops along 307 and the closer we got to the resort, the more we saw. At the entrance there were a dozen heavily armed men in full battle gear. Our driver informed us that Presidente Calderon was attending a SNTE (teachers union convention) at the Palace. That set the tone for the rest of the week with two more conventions later on in the week. Shaklee (900 people) and Dish Network. There were three more coming in the next week. Other than increasing the wait times at the bars and buffets, the conventions had minimal impact on our stay.

Other odds and ends:

- we ate at the French and Caribbean (2x). Both were good. It seems they have sped up the dining time at the French. In the past it has taken a minimum of 1- 1/2 hours. This time we were in and out in under an hour.

- the lunch and dinner buffets continue to be our favorite meals. The cook to order stations are great. I ate grilled fish every day!

- the guacamole is subpar. it is almost a pureed texture

-if you want hot coffee, get it from the machines

- the house wines (IMO) have improved. The brand name is Diavalo (from Chile)

- the theater bar is still the place to get the best drinks

- the beds are still firm (we like them)

- the mini fridge still doesn't get cold

-the coldest beer is at the lunch buffets

- we never got towel art (boo hoo)

- the shade at the beach continues to get better

- the best time to workout at the gym is late morning

- Caipirinhas with Havana Club rum rocks!

- don't spend big bucks on the internet. 35 pesos for 15 - 20 minutes is enough time to
check mail and facebook

- my Spanish is getting better. If you want to learn Spanish, engage the workers in
conversation, They want to learn English as well

-tips are welcomed, not expected

- spent $10 for a bali bed at the adult pool. it was worth it!

Like i said, it is still a good value. we will return!

8  Thank BaldMac
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2017

Reviewed 1 November 2012

Our family had a great time at the Barcelo Maya Palace, the location is beautiful, safe, the staff in most part were extremely helpful, and the food was great. We stayed for 1 week, and nobody in our party wanted to leave when it was time to go home. The positives definitely out weighed the negatives.

First though the negatives, on the day that we arrived and checked in, they could only provide us with one room key, even though we were a party of 3 adults and one child, they told us they were out of keys, and that it would be my responsibility to check in periodically to see if anymore were available. Add to this was that the staff at the front desk were extremely rude and lazy. Second, we were located on the 3rd floor, and our room had a small ant infestation, which wasn't a big issue, but we had to be aware to not leave food out. Third, a large portion of the hotel was booked by one company, and on the first night they had a dinner event right on the beach for their employees, unfortunately they closed both main buffets, and we had to walk to the adjoining resort for dinner, not a big problem, but nobody told us that the buffets were going to be closed. Fourth, each day they would bring in an exotic animal and have a professional photographer take pictures with it and the guests, each day we would get a photo taken with our daughter and the exotic animal, the night before we left, we asked how much it would cost to take our 30 photos and put them on a CD, they told us $450 USD, we said see ya later. Total rip-off. Fifth, the a la carte restaurant staff weren't that friendly, especially the hostess at the French Restaurant, who seemed to not want to be bothered with doing her job. Finally, we noticed one day that there were people from the other resorts with different color arm bands from the other resorts enjoying the facilities, and nobody seemed to care.

Now a few of the many positives, besides the front desk employees, all staff were extremely friendly and helpful, this included the staff at the buffets, the cleaning staff, and the poolside, and recreation staff. The grounds were immaculately kept, no garbage, and pristine. The beach was amazing, we saw sea turtles and sting rays pretty much every day while we snorkeled, not to mention a tonne of different types of fish. The food was good, and fresh, and even after 1 week I still found myself trying new dishes, as they tried to switch things up often. The rooms were clean, large and comfortable, and they would stock the mini-bar daily and if you happen to be around when they were stocking the mini-bar you could always ask for more of whatever they had. The entertainment was fun, with everything from a kitchen tour, to salsa dancing, and Spanish lessons, plus a tonne more.
We have already said that if we go back to the Mayan Riviera we would stay at this resort again, and even though our daughter was only 14 months at the time, she still had loads of fun, and this is without taking into account the amazing water park for kids which she was a bit small to use.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank PortMoodyCouple

Dear Guest,

We really appreciate your evaluation and hope to welcome you back soon!!

Warm Regards

Reviewed 1 November 2012

Great city. Fun and world class food. Lost wallet in room and staff found and returned with all items intact staff helped with reservations an ideas for site seeing. Also owner took us to the train station when cabs were on strike

Room Tip: Rooms were clean and comfortable
1  Thank Paul F

Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#71 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#70 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!