“Great experience with kids”

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Canada
“Great experience with kids”
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I have two kids: 4 and 6. It was our first time trying an all-inclusive type resort. We stayed at the Palace Deluxe, and we loved it.

Pros:
- Great food with lots of kid options
- Water park was fantastic for the kids
- Beach was terrific for the kids (reef is still attractive fish)
- Great babysitting options (less creepy than you would imagine)
- Quiet room (we had room #8212)
- Great music (ambient type stuff so very relaxing)

Cons:
- Long waits at some periods for the front desk. We waited 45 minutes when we arrived which definitely felt excessive, especially when you get there and are amped about starting your vacation. And we got there by ourselves (not with a group).
- Long walks to the buffet/restaurants. I recommend bringing running/comfortable shoes, and if you have kids, bring strollers if you don't want them on your shoulders. The walks to food are seriously long.
- Wonky bus system for going to other parts of the resort. Basically not dependable when we were there.
- So so directions to restaurants/food. Get a card prior to getting there and study the surroundings otherwise you may end up walking more than you'd like to.

All in all a great place for a family!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Simonadamien
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 7 January 2017
Dear Guest,
First of all we want to thank you for your preference and we appreciate the fact that you took some time to write your feedback about our resort.
As a hotel is it is very satisfactory to see that our guests enjoyed their stay here, and we will continue providing the service with the same quality about the things you liked and improving in our areas of opportunity as the ones you´ve mentioned.

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,310)
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2012

We are planning a return trip to the palace in late November after spending one week there last year. After staying at several different resorts in Mayan Riviera, this will be the first time we are going back to a resort that we have previously stayed at. This is the highest compliment we can pass on about this facility. We were very pleased with all aspects of the resort - food was very good, service excellent, beach has some rocks but there are sections that are pure sand therefore no issues, grounds immaculate, rooms superb. I would encourage folks to look at all reviews and the above average/excellent ratings this resort has received from thousands of reviewers. The majority have rated this resort as excellent. We quite agree!

One request, does anyone have PDF of resort layout or specific recommendations as to which rooms/buildings are closest to the beach? If so, any postings on this site would be appreciated.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David W

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your amazing feedback, this motivates us as a hotel to keep up the good work and improve day by day to create great experiences to our guests.
We really appreciate your evaluation and hope to welcome you back soon!!

Warm Regards

Hamilton
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My husband and I have been to this group of Barcelo hotels many times in the past and it has always been a favourite until this latest trip! We choose the Barcelo Beach or Caribe etc. based on the fact that these hotels have the better part of the beach, we like the open air theatre and everything including the buffet are very close the the beach and accessible.

We arrived and were told we had been upgraded to the palace and at first I was happy but a little concerned about losing the beach that I was looking forward to. This was a huge disappointment. Not only were we miles away from the best part of the beach at the other end we were in an American like marble monstrosity which required lengthy walks to get anywhere....up and down stairs and the beach was rocky! This is a nightmare. Our relaxing vacation turned in to marathon hikes just to get food... a serious 20 minute walk from our room to the buffet. By the end of the week I was exhausted and annoyed!

The Palace played U2 music on repeat for hours and had next to no entertainment. The drinks at the bar were super sweet and the beer tasted skunky. I actually found myself at an all inclusive that offered drinks so bad that I chose to drink pop.... What!!!

To add insult to injury...we booked a couples massage and when we checked out and got our bill they charged us $40 US more than what was on our invoice we signed. I asked to see a copy of our bill and someone actually crossed our negotiated price out and put the higher price in in different hand writing. We asked to speak for the manager and he spend over 1/2 an hour arguing with me and said to come back in the morning at 9:00 before we left and he would look into this. We went back to our room very upset and happened to see the concierge who booked this for us and she called the manager to tell him that we were correct and that what he was charging us was wrong... only after she argued for another 15 minutes did this get resolved.

I felt extremely ripped off from this experience. I purchased a trip to a great hotel with a mexican feel, easy amenity access and a fabulous beach and the Barcelo hotel gave me a marble monstrosity complete with a terrible beach, a load of walking and boring American atmosphere.

Oh and one more huge downfall is that twice during our visit the Palace was entertaining conventions or company get aways and we were told we needed to move to make room at the pool for set up which meant we had to move away from the bar, music and shaded chairs and another time they took over the best part of the already bad beach! I paid to be here too didn't I?

Terrible... save money and have a better time at one of the other Barcelos and if they tell you that you have a free upgrade to the Palace turn it down!

P.S. Sleep quality was poor as well. Two mornings we were woken up at about 7:00 am because the cleaning staff was carrying on in the corridors.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Alisa15
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 21 April 2017
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable review, we are sorry about our reply being delayed as we really appreciate that you have taken some time to write your comments about your experience in our hotel and this comments have been noted and shared with the leaders of every department.
We have been working hard to improve all our opportunity areas in order to achieve all our guests’ satisfaction.
Once again, we thank you for staying with us and hope to welcome back soon.

Regards,

Them Management
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 November 2012

This was our second trip to the Barcelo Maya Palace and it won't be our last. Although we usually prefer to explore new resorts, the BMP just does it so well. We love the rooms, the beach, the house reef, and the food.

We've covered the room in the review from our first trip and other travelers have said it well. Lovely rooms, beautiful bathrooms, and the grounds are immaculate. A few observations from this trip:

▪ The BMP appears to be very, very aware of the comments on TripAdvisor. For example, when we were checking in, we were given a packet of coupons to use during our stay. How to use them and how NOT to use them were gone over very clearly. I certainly knew that I had to present the coupon before I received the service in question! Truthfully, we usually don't bother with coupons at resorts--oftentimes, the coupons are misleading and aggravating to redeem. The BMP made these very straightforward. We used coupons towards bottles of wine twice, room service once, and the spa once. It was all very simple and exactly as the coupon said.

▪ Because the BMP was fairly empty, they'd closed their evening buffet. I'd heard rumblings of this on another forum before arriving and wasn't thrilled, but the hotel handled it beautifully. On our first night, because we arrived after 4:00 pm., we had a choice of going to a buffet at one of their sister resorts or going to any of the a la cartes at the BMP without a reservation and they would seat us as soon as they could. We chose the Caribbean and "seat us as soon as they could" turned out to mean "walk right in and sit down." The Caribbean was also providing a mini-buffet in their ante-room: it changed from night to night (yes, we ate there twice), and included things like lamb chops.

▪ Restaurant reservations were no problem. We just booked two regular rooms (not Club Premium) and could have as many reservations as we wanted. We did the French twice, the Caribbean twice, and the show table at the Japanese once. Getting the times we preferred was also not a problem.

▪ The Japanese was incredible. Our kids loved the show, the chef was a hoot, and the cuts of meat were beautiful. We'd head back to this restaurant in a heartbeat.

▪ Our other food note was that we have never been offered lobster so often. Both the Caribbean and the French restaurant had it on the menu; they also encouraged us to add it to anything else we ordered. My son wanted "plain" lobster and they brought him two gorgeous tails. It was lobster, lobster, lobster.

The reef is holding up okay. We saw turtles nearer to shore and also some very small rays skating along the beach edge. The dive shop was offering some lovely snorkel trips that were, unfortunately, cancelled due to bad weather, but we'll try again next time. The Barcelo is a definite "keeper" for us!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank amf1

Dear Guest,

We are very happy about your feedback as our main goal is to leave all our Guest satisfied . We will continue all the hard work to keep satisfying all our guests and we hope to host you back real soon!!

Auburn, Washington
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Room are clean and neat, beds is comfortable. Food excellent, a lots of choices for dinner. Beach are the best in Carribian A little disappointed with water in the pools - to cold. Will definitely go back!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Tatyana p
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate your evaluation and hope to welcome you back soon!!

Warm Regards

Visalia, California
Reviewed 12 November 2012

This was our 1st stay in Mexico and 1st all-inclusive experience. being to the point the resort is 5 star. Rooms, restaurants, pools, etc. is all top quality. I've never seen so many people at a resort cleaning, maintaining, and making sure you have a good time. We felt truely spoiled. The few reasons I did not give this resort an excellent are small gripes only but could easily be improved. So this is info for the Palace staff if you're reading this: I'll start with the front desk staff. Not friendly, not very informative, and generally made you feel uncomfortable. I've read other reviews saying the same thing but had to see for myself. This is a huge resort with a lot of questions that go unanswered or remain vague because of the front desk staff. You can quickly feel lost. Not the feeling I want in a unfamiliar place in a foreign country. We missed dinner at one of the fine restaurants on the 1st night since we knew nothing of the reservations required. Laer in the week we saw other guest arriving and walking around lost. Literally the staff could sit down with you for 30 minutes and give you an orientation speech for all the information needed. Luckily we found answers from other, more friendly, guests and were able to have a great time. 2nd, the rooms are beautiful and large but lack adequate ventilation in the bathroom area. A hot shower will steam up an already humid room in no time making it very uncomfortable. If you open the slider the AC automatically shuts off which is a smart feature but doesn't help the ventilation issue. 3rd is another staff issue. There are not enough concierge's to handle this number of people. I found myself many times needing a question answered or needing a dinner reservation and there was a waiting line or the concierge was gone. 4th, we went to many of the evening shows that are mostly adult oriented but were interrupted by small children running up and down the aisles and screaming like it was a big playground. I know there are a lot of clueless parents out there and I've got nothing against them bringing the kids on vacation but please have some respect for others. The kids were having a great time but it's not the place that kind of fun. The theatre staff did nothing to help and our nice time turned sour. 5th, the rooms have beautifully tiled floors. he furniture sliding across the beautiful tile makes quite a racket. The people above us liked moving the chairs a lot and kept us awake several nights sliding them across the floor. Staying on the top floor or putting a cushion something on the chair leg bottoms would help. 6th and last, the WiFi is freakin expensive. No free Wi Fi?
These few gripes are not deal breakers and I won't hesitate to come back now that I am more informed and familiar. Barcelo has a good thing here but can be made excellent.

Room Tip: Top floor room for more peace and quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jimnsel
Dear Guest,
As a hotel is it is very satisfactory to see that our guests enjoyed their stay here, and we will continue providing the service with the same quality and improving in our areas of opportunity.

Best Regards.
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 11 November 2012

As you read this review you'll probably say to yourself "this guy can't make up his mind". Well you're right. I headed to Barcelo Palace along with 70 other people to celebrate my daughters wedding. The sheer fact that we were such a large yet intimate group guaranteed a great time. The resort and its amenities were excellent, the weather was perfect and the drinks were available pretty much at arms length.

The resort is over an hour from the airport in Cancun which isn't that bad. When we arrived checking in was painful. It took me over an hour to get things straight as I upgraded my room to ocean front and I was first in line of 70 people! Once we were checked in things started to improve. As a group we found our way to the restaurants, pools and bars and the party began.

The wedding was scheduled for the fourth day of our 7 day stay. For all you potential destination brides out there - here are some tips; beware! Tip #1 - There were hidden costs associated with the wedding and many had to be paid in cash (about $ 1000). Not a big number, but who brings lots of cash to an all inclusive? Tip #2 - Take a package and stick with it - my daughter wanted to use her own photographer so we had to pay a $ 500 "penalty" for not using the in-house service (really pissed me off in principle). Same with the spa services that go along with the package. Use them and they can't be transferred to anyone else. Tip#3 - The wedding planners don't tell you a thing until the actual wedding is happening - an somehow they pulled it off flawlessly. The wedding ceremony and ensuing reception on the beach was amazing. Everyone who attended can attest to the fact that it was worth any aggravation caused leading up to it. The beach reception was so much fun that we added an extra hour of drinking and dancing - $1200 for anyone who is curious.

Other thoughts and observations -

1) The staff are very polite yet very inflexible. Many do not speak english
2) By day 5 the food begins to all taste the same - the French restaurant was by far the best
3) The beach is okay - some rocky spots but overall it's fine
4) The rooms were so-so

Would I have a wedding at the resort - yes. As I said earlier, it was perfect. Would I return to the resort for a vacation - no. There are far better spots out there.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Steve M
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 8 January 2017

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#80 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!