“Would go back in a heartbeat & fantastic place for kids!”

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Calgary, Canada
“Would go back in a heartbeat & fantastic place for kids!”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Normally, I would never consider booking at a larger resort, but we were here for a wedding. This place was PHENOMENAL! We went the first week of December and we picked the perfect time. The resort wasn't busy at all. We never had to wait for drinks or to get into any of the restaurants - in fact, there were some nights when we didn't have reservations at the a la carte restaurants but we were able to get in.

The food and the service were fantastic - something that I rarely say when I go to an all-inclusive. Usually by the end of the trip, I am tired of the same old, same old in the buffet, but this is hardly the case.

The room was probably one of the nicest hotel rooms I've stayed in at an all-inclusive - tons of space, a rainfall shower, double sinks, double closets... (we had a Junior Suite). The only thing that is awful was the mattress - very hard and uncomfortable! However, we were told to ask the front desk for one of the mattress covers they have, so they came and put that on our bed and gave us new pillows, and that made a WORLD of difference! I highly recommend for you to do this when you get to the resort, as the beds are literally ROCK HARD.

The beach was wonderful - tons of seats available and lots of palm trees for shades, which was perfect for keeping our little 18-month-old out of the sun. The beach was a little rocky and there was coral/rocks to look out for in the shallow end, but I am hardly going to complain about that because it is just so beautiful!

We didn't spend much time by the pool, but we DID spend a ton of time in the kid's waterpark. Let me say, if you have little ones, this is the resort for you! Our little guy could not get enough of all the kid's slides, etc. Unfortuntaly, he was too young to use the Kids Club, but from what I have heard, that is also great for kids as well.

I HIGHLY recommend this resort to anyone, especially those who have children.

Room Tip: Ask for a mattress cover and new pillows upon arrival - the beds are rock hard.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Canadian_Erin
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 10 January 2017
Dear Guest,
We always find it nice to read that our guests went home with great holiday memories and we are very grateful for the time and effort you spent to share your personal experience at our Barceló Maya Palace hotel with us and Tripadvisor readers.
We are thrilled to read that you felt welcome and supported from the moment you arrived until the moment you departed and will not fail to share your compliments with the entire réception team as we know it will be a great source of motivation to keep on going the extra mile.
Again we thank you for this wonderful review, it has been a pleasure for us to read and we look forward to serving you again soon
The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,283)
  • Polish first
Noank, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

I have been to this resort seven times. So, obviously a fan. Still great value, service and overall quality. The positives: lots grounds to walk, lovely planting a, and great variety at buffet. Negatives- the reef offshore is dying as result of the sand clogging it up and cumulative storm damage so snorkeling is poor. Some signs of age; rubber gasket on slider falling out, some rest rooms had missing flush controls. There used to be lovely floral arrangements throughout the hotel common areas, no more. Noted some cost cutting in buffet with some areas decorated with fruit arrangements rather than food choices. The place is immaculate, the service with smiles, and rooms nicely appointed. The rain shower head is lovely after a day in the sun.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The food was way below expectations. Even though they had a good selection: seafood, meats, etc, the food was not prepared well. Shrimps were dry and overlooked, The grill used for steaks was not cleaned regularly, so they steaks were burned and covered with black on the outside while being undercooked inside. Even though oatmeal was available every morning, there was no oatmeal in it. Instead it was milk with a few flakes of oatmeal swimming in it, basically it looked more like a drink instead of cereal. There were no restaurants near the beach, so you could not eat any fruits at the beach, since it was against "restaurant policy" to take out any fruits. We booked this trip through apple, and they provided " free" shared transportation. What that " shared" transportation meant was that we had to wait for half an hour for the bus from the airport to resort and had to be picked up an hour earlier than we needed to, so we had to spend an extra hour at the airport. Jose, the transportation manager from Apple working at the hotel, was extremely rude and when asked to change the pick up time replied that we can not demand american comforts while on Mexican land. They only positive was the landscaping, it was impeccable. The beaches had no shade, only the trees. We went to cheaper all inclusive resorts before and were much happier there. We would never come back again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Emma N
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 10 April 2017
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable review, we are sorry about our reply being delayed as we really appreciate that you have taken some time to write your comments about your experience in our hotel and this comments have been noted and shared with the leaders of every department.
We have been working hard to improve all our opportunity areas in order to achieve all our guests’ satisfaction.
Once again, we thank you for staying with us and hope to welcome back soon.

Regards,

Them Management
COLORADO
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This was my 5th time at Barcelo Maya. I have always had a great time, but I will not be going back. My idea of a good Caribbean beach vacation includes a quiet relaxing time on the beach with calm waters for swimming and snorkeling. I like some activity, but I prefer to choose when I want to party and when I want to relax. I was at Barcelo Maya Palace during Thanksgiving week, so this may account for more crowds and consequently more noise, but most of it was caused by poor management.

At Barcelo Maya there was no opportunity to experience the peace and tranquility of the ocean sights and sounds. There was no opportunity to experience peace and tranquility anywhere. It was noisy everywhere I went.

Yes, we had a great time, because time spent with loved ones is always good.

We had paid more to stay at Barcelo and expected it to be at least as good as the less expensive “All Inclusive” resorts. Next time we’ll go back to some of our other favorites, spend less and be more comfortable.

THE BEACH: noisy with uncomfortable lounge chairs.
It was impossible to escape the noise. The beach had a constant cacophony of competing sounds: a whistle and disco style music blasting over cracked speakers for the water aerobics in the bay, music from the pool and wedding music from the gazebo(felt for the wedding party) all in competition. The sea gulls and rhythm of the waves didn’t have a chance.

If you look at the beach photos you will notice all the lounges’ seat backs are propped up. This was not for the photo. The beach lounges do not recline. The canvas is too tight to allow for adjustments. The taut canvas also made the lounge just plain uncomfortable even if you did want to be upright. Consequently, there was never any problem finding 1 or 200 empty beach lounge chairs to choose from.

THE POOLS were extensive with every perk you could imagine: lounges in and out of the pool, swim up bars and poolside bars, waterfalls, bridges, polo games, lap pool, water parks for the children. I am a swimmer so I appreciated always being able to find an area to swim in but the water was COLD. I think it is reasonable to expect a pool temperature at a “Palace” to be at least warm enough for a lap swimmer. I usually swim in 79°F at home. I’m sure this was much colder than that.

THE RESTAURANTS: GREAT FOOD, uncomfortable CHAIRS, NOISY, COLD from AC . The food was always good regardless of what restaurant or buffet we went to. Plenty of variety and good quality. The buffets had a grill where you could choose seafood, steak, prime rib, lamb chops etc. There was plenty of variety and always Mexican selections and a pasta bar. Be sure and bring a warm coat. It was in the 60s°F outside at night. The AC was so strong the majority of the guests wore heavy coats in the restaurants. The chairs looked decorator appointed with no regard for what it felt like to sit in them. The arms of the chairs were too high to fit under the dining tables. You needed to sit on the edge of your seat to reach the table. The NOISE was so loud I couldn’t hear the person sitting across the table from me. There was constant clanking from dishes and silverware and somewhere underneath it all was background music, but I could never hear the song. The SERVICE WAS POOR. It was evident that the wait staff were running constantly, looking stressed and attempting to provide good service, but there was simply not enough staff to do the job. They were constantly clearing tables of silverware, dishes, etc. Once we got up for dessert and found our table was completely cleared of our unfinished dishes, drinks, etc.. and prepared for the next guest. If we requested a beverage we were assured they would get it right away and then we would see the same wait person clearing tables first, while looking around apparently for fear that a supervisor would see an uncleared table. I speak Spanish so the poor service was not due to a communication problem. If I went to the bar to get the drink for myself, the wait persons would run over and insist on getting the beverage for me. So we would just sit and wait in our uncomfortable chairs while we shivered from the excessive air conditioning. We tried to eat meals in the Coral Grill when it was open. The Coral Grill had better service and it was not cold because it was open air. We enjoyed the French, Seafood, and Japanese a la carte restaurants. You’ll want to reserve these as soon as you arrive. They fill up fast.

DINING ROOM HOURS: another “Palace” Mystery...Vary according to the literature you are reading, who you talk to and the whim of the Dining Room Host. The Hotel guide noted the Buffet closed at 10PM. The sign at the Buffet entrance posted closing at 9:45PM. The hostess said they closed at 9:30PM, but the food trays were gone at 9:15PM.

THE HOT TUB and other myths of the Palace:
It was 60°F and we went outside to enjoy the beautiful starry night from the warmth of the hot tub. We had read of this mythical hot tub on Barcelo’s web site and hotel guide. It was also listed on the map. We found the hot tub located in the “adult pool” and entered anticipating a most relaxing first evening at Barcelo. It was freezing. We quickly exited and spoke to the bartender at the adult pool who informed us there is “NO HOT TUB”. I really felt for this guy because he had to repeat this to 8 different guests who arrived shortly after us and asked the same question in search of the fictional hot tub. We decided to make the best of it and went for a quick invigorating swim in a very cold pool. We swam 5 minutes, exited the pool and our bathrobes were gone! We had worn the terry cloth bath robes provided by the hotel to the pool. Seemed logical. We had left our room keys in the pockets. OK now we are really wet and cold, without robes or towels and we can’t get into our room. We spoke to the bartender, who called security who explained to us HOUSEKEEPING TOOK OUR ROBES!!! It was policy. Housekeeping was really stealth. We were not supposed to wear our robes outside our rooms. As I shivered I thought there may be a reason for this policy, but they should have informed us up front. We waited and shivered about 30 minutes until security returned with our robes and room keys in the pockets. There were other items in our pockets which housekeeping removed and left on the lounge chair before they whisked away our robes and room keys. OK this policy is just plain COLD. Later it was explained to me that the indoor “jacuzzi” at Colonial is warm, but the outdoor “jacuzzi” at the Palace is cold. I think a hot jacuzzi in the winter is a reasonable expectation of a “Palace”.

THE ROOM was lovely but also NOISY
At first our room was halfway to Guatemala. We had blisters by the 2nd day. They accommodated our request for a closer location when a room became available on our 3rd day. The room was absolutely perfect and comfortable except the AC did not shut off when the desired programmed temperature was reached. The bed was the usual rock slab you will find in Central America or Asia. They provided a good mattress cushion upon request. Unfortunately, our room was noisy. We heard noise from service vehicles and back up horns/high pitch beeps from dawn until 10PM. There was a service road behind the trees outside our room.

The GARDENS and landscaping were naturalized yet well groomed. We enjoyed frequent sightings of MORPHO BUTTERFLIES and IGUANAS. The pathways were mostly covered which helped with sun and rain protection. I was disappointed as I wanted to walk to a CENOTE and Mayan RUINS in la Caleta Chakalal, which was a short distance to the north of the Barcelo property. Unfortunately the path was fenced closed. There was one very small cenote on the property.

Room Tip: Request a room close to the beach. They have many rooms that are a 10 minute walk to the beach. Th...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ROCKYMTNJOE
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your comments and the time you take to write to us. We are working to respond in a timely manner to each of our guests comments, we regret that our response now seems untimely but we assure you that we take very into account your recommendations. Best Regards, The Management
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We just spent 7 nights at this resort. The location is gorgeous, the beach is super, the food is delicious and the room is beautiful. The only complaint I have was that the mattress could have been much more comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that opens up on the pools.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lucie Z
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We thought this resort was perfect for our mulit-generational family trip. We celebrated our 10 year anniversary with our kids, a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old, and our parents. Everyone had a great time! There were enough activities to keep everyone interested. Starting with the kids, they really enjoyed spending time at the kids water park, on the beach and snorkeling. We thoroughly enjoyed hanging out on the loungers, and snorkeling right off the beach. The parents enjoyed spending time with the grandkids and participating in the various activities the Barcelo staff had planned, water aerobics and even a watermelon eating contest. We enjoyed most of our meals at the buffet restaurants. The food was very good and were impressed with the variety that was offered on a daily basis. The only minor negative points is that there is a bit of walking from the rooms to the pools and restaurant areas, which we did not mind and the specialty restaurants were just okay.

We would revisit this resort again without a doubt!

Room Tip: Try to get a room in section 8100.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Samhp77
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This is hands down the most beautiful place I've ever been or stayed. We had our wedding here and everything was amazing from start to finish!

Rooms: Super nice and roomy, nice large bathroom, and the mini-fridge was stocked daily with water, beer, etc. and a few little snacks as well. Our air-con was WAY too cold when we got there, but we called the front desk and they came right away and adjusted it. We had our kids (age 2 and 5 with us) and would have been even better if they had affordable "family suites" as it was difficult putting my little guy to bed with us all in one room. We made it work though :)

Beach: The most awesome thing about this resort is the snorkeling right out in front of the Palace! I saw and swam with Turtles daily, saw some other cool fish, and my older daughter (17) and my sister-in-law even saw a Manta-Ray a bit further out! craziness! Also you can buy little bags of fish food in the swim shop and hundreds of fish will swim all around you to eat it :D We never wore swimming shoes at all and were just fine.

Pools: We spent most of our time at the kids pool under one of the shaded lounger areas - it was perfect for my 5 year old but a bit too deep for my toddler (I just stayed with him and held his hand and he loved it too) The other pool is really massive and amazing too - biggest pool I've ever seen! The towel lady did not speak English at all and she got a bit confused and would not give my Father-in-law his towel card back...you just have to be a bit firm with them or have the bartender come and translate. Obviously not everyone there can speak your language.

Building/Grounds: I was super impressed with the grounds, gardens, and buildings. Everything was really clean and safe. It is a fairly large resort, and my biggest mistake was not bringing a stroller for my toddler. We did a lot of carrying him back and forth which was pretty exhausting. BRING A STROLLER IF YOU HAVE A LITTLE MUNCHKIN! LOL. Otherwise I didn't think it was too huge to handle for any regular folk ;).

Food: Honestly, I really liked the Buffets...especially with kids. It's just really easy and there is so much to choose from that you can't go wrong. I think I had a shot of Baileys in my coffee every morning ;) We went to one of the restaurants (Italian) and the food wasn't particularly that good.

Wedding: AMAZING!!! We had our ceremony at sunset which was so beautiful and then had our dinner/reception right on the beach (Cocos Beach). I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants to get married away. We only had a group of 20ish people and It was perfect for us, but I also saw other weddings with larger groups and it looked fun as well!
Also, with the "Strawberry Wedding Package" we got premium wrist bands which was nice because we didn't need a towel card, got premium liquor, and free wifi (although the wifi would not work from my room - that was kinda a bummer).

Weather: The weather was perfect (and HOT) almost the entire week we stayed (Nov 18-25). The only time it rained was a couple evenings just for a short period that never affected us at all - and once the day we were leaving, which was perfect because we were just getting ready to leave anyways.

I can't wait to come back again for our anniversary or another Family trip!! :))

Room Tip: We were in the Oaxaca Building, which is farthest away from the lobby and kids pool - But having a w...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!