“Room for improvement”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Omaha, Nebraska
“Room for improvement”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Let me start off by saying the resort itself is very pretty and tropical.
Pros:
Nice pools (but very cold)
Enough pool and beach chairs for everyone
Swim up bar
Very tropical
Felt very safe
Activities for kids
No problems getting reservations for dinner

Cons:
The service was a major disappointment. The staff were not rude by any means, but definitely didn't go out of their way to accommodate or help anyone. We stayed club level and even the club level receptionists were not overly helpful and I felt somewhat like a nuisance asking for their help. We have been to so many other all inclusives in Mexico, and the staff were so incredible.

No beach service, what so ever. No food served anywhere except in the restaurants, which is a big disappointment. This is something that we love, as sometimes the kiddos will get hungry and instead of having to pack up all the beach and swim toys and walk to the restaurants, it would be so much easier if the food was available close by.
The resort itself is huge, which is a negative and a positive. It makes everyone feel a little less crowded. But on the downside, the restaurants take forever to get to, especially when you have 3 children in tow.

The steak restaurant was really good. However, the buffets are so bland and lacking. The buffets are all that is available for breakfast and lunch. Big disappointment. Room service: very very lacking in options.

Towel service: what what? Its a chore in itself to keep track of all the towels and then having to switch towels out at the towel service, each and every time they are wet or sandy.

Activities and entertainment: The entertainment in the theater is a joke, compared to every other place we have been to. They also close up all the basketballs, ping pong paddles and eveything else at 5. That is something that the kids wanted to do after dinner, however were not able to because they lock up all the activities at 5.

Wifi: hmmm...club level so it was free. However, it hardly worked and when it did, only one person was allowed on the wifi.

Housekeeping: They do a good job on cleaning the rooms, however, don't expect them to be there before 5. We stayed 7 days, and not once were they there before 5.

Overall, the resort itself is pretty but I would not come back to this place. There are so many resorts that have so much to offer, that I would not recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Chris R
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Chris R

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe appreciates the time that you have taken to share your comments with us.

Have a good day!
Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,283)
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2014

The Barceló Maya Palace was a wonderful experience. I would give it a 4.5* if I could as it is not quite a 5* but not a 4* either. We stayed over Christmas (2 adults and 2 young adults in their early 20's). It was a fantastic experience and we would love to do it again.

The food was great almost all the time (lots of seafood!). The buffets had plenty of choice and I loved the Mimosa's at breakfast. We ate at the Seafood, it was ok but nothing special. The Brazilian, food was really good but waiter was not so great and the French which was wonderful. We also trued the Kyoto Japanese at the Colonial and that was a lot of fun.....book the "show table". The Japanese at the Palace does not have the "show" factor.

The beach is amazing. It is a long stretch and you can walk a long ways past all the other sections of the Barceló resorts. The beach is a little rocky going in in areas but we found a clearing that was all soft sand and went in at that point all the time. Snorkelling was great! Not the same as some areas of the Caribbean but we saw a lot of different fish as well as sea turtles and a sting ray. We brought our own equipment. Lots of loungers on the beach even when the hotel was full.

We had a room in the Oaxaca section which is the best. Close to everything. The rooms are all jr. suites and are spacious and clean. We did try room service for breakfast and it was very good. No fault with the rooms at all. We had 2 rooms but if you are a family with children they allow 5 and with the 2 sofas there is plenty of sleeping room. Beds were hard and I asked for a mattress topper. It is kept under the mattress?? But they sent someone to do it for me and make up the bed.

Internet was spotty at times (wifi) and this could be frustrating. Also, the first 3 days it was free (lobby)and no password required. Then suddenly you needed a password and it was not free. I don't think it is consistant and that is too bad because the poor staff have to listen to a lot of complaining. I don't care too much about wifi but I know it is very important for some people.

The complex is large and they do have a shuttle to the other areas including the shopping centre and the disco (Jaguar's). It is not a far walk at all to the latter 2 if you go along the boardwalk to the Colonial next door and then walk to the back of the Colonial. The Colonial is a lovely section and I would stay there as well.

The staff were absolutely amazing. I have never been to a friendlier resort. It was a good experience everywhere. I would especially like to thank Abigail Velázquez. You are a star!

Shelley and family

Room Tip: Email the resort ahead and ask for a room in the sections closer to the beach. Try upgrading to Club...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Travellinfool
Dear Travellinfool,
First of all receive our greetings from Riviera Maya and thanks for your comments on Tripadvisor.
We are glad to know that you had a wonderful time in this paradise and it would be a pleasure to host you once again.

Receive a warm greeting from the Riviera Maya.
Bowling Green, Missouri
Reviewed 16 January 2014

My husband and I and another couple (23-25 yrs old) spent 5 nights from January 8th-13th at the Barcelo Maya Palace.
Starting off the hotel was even better than we expected and I highly recommend it to anyone.

We took a private SUV shuttle from the airport (Cancun Shuttle $180 round trip for 4)
The ride takes about an hour and 25 minutes. It is basically the furthest resort south in Riviera Maya. The entrance and grounds or the resort are well manicured and beautiful.

Food:
-The food at the four private restaurants was fabulous. The best food I have ever had at a resort much less and all inclusive. All the meals are four course with 5-7 options per course. we made reservations for the whole trip on our first night and were able to switch them around if we changed our minds the day of.. We did go in a non peak season so I would make reservations. Our favorite was the French restaurant Brasserie, very swanky and beautiful inside. Steaks and lobster were great at all the restaurants and the skewers and Rodizio are extremely filling but not to miss.
-Food at the Buffets was also great, so many options and stations to choose from: omelettes, pasta, fajitas etc.
Full bar is available eat all the restaurants and buffets. There are servers at the buffet to take care of drinks and plates

Bars/Drinks
All the bartenders were very helpful and served quickly.All the frozen drinks and mixed drinks were great and not watered down.
The 24 hour lobby bar had the best drinks, we went before and after dinner.
The club, Jaguar is pretty far away from the Palace but worth the walk if you like to dance to club music

Pools
- Huge beautiful pools. Kids have their own activity pool so the main pools are mainly adults.
You get access to all the pools at the adjoining results, almost impossible to see them all
There are no hot tubs except in the spa.
There are servers by the pool but we had better luck just going to the swim up bar

Beach
Very beautiful, has some rocky areas but we were glad because lots of fish and sea creatures lived near them so there was great snorkeling 10 yards from the beach. Sea turtles, sting ray and 100s of fish
The snorkeling equipment is held at opposite en of the beach about 1/2 mile down and is only free for the 1st hour of each day you use it and is $6 every hour there after. We should have brought our own.
No beach side drink service, you have to go to the bars
Tons of chairs, palm trees provide shade, no umbrellas

Rooms
-We had a king junior suite in the Michocan Bank of rooms and it was a very long walk to get to everything at the front of the resort (5 min+).
The room was great, very spacious. Ours had a living room with two couches, a private balcony, two closets, and huge bathroom with an open shower and tub. Only complaint was the bed and pillows, they were pretty uncomfortable and stiff.

We had no problems with service
Concierge made all our dinner reservations
They called for our taxi to Play del Carmen $23 US for 4 people. You can take the shuttle for $1.50 US pp, but you have to walk out to the road and it's public shared
Only one taxi company is let in the resort for pick up so the are very safe and have nice vehicles and competitive prices

Room Tip: Rooms with lower # 8000, 7000, 6000 are toward the front of the resort which is what you want. 8387...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank Constance B
Dear Cbbzb8.

Have a good day!

Regards,
Courtice, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Traveled to this resort in early May of 2013 for my sisters wedding. I didn't write a review at the time but I felt compelled to write this brief note.

My main complaint was the drinks! ALL of the drinks (including the beer) was watered down. I barely managed to get a buzz the entire week. The wine was disgusting as it barely tasted like wine after they finished with it (both white and red).

For some reason the beer made my lips swell up as if it had salt water in it.

And the mixed drinks were much too watered down also.

My other comment would be that the entire resort is too large for my taste. It's great to have big budget entertainment shows but I think the food suffered on account of the scale.

Would not come back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AdMan_Tor
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, General Manager at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Traveler,

We were very surprised of your comments in relation to the quality of the drinks in general, including the Corona beer that we offer, as it is well accepted and is one of the best beers known worldwide.

Regarding other beverages, they are also known and have an acceptable quality.

Regarding the house wine, as a second alternative we have a variety of wines a la cart.

We regret that this has overshadowed your stay.

Regards,

Armando Becerra M.
Hotel Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This is our third time at this resort. Stayed there for 10 days in December 2013 and it was AMAZING. Beautiful resort, amazing staff and wonderful beach. This is the best place for families with little kids. Lots of shade at the beach, excellent food, calm and wonderful beach. My daughter(2 1/2 years old) had the best time there. She loves the food, the beach and the shows . We are planning to go back this year for 2 weeks. This time the food was much better than last time. They need to improve the Brazilian restaurant and the house wine( both awful). The French restaurant is amazing, Caribbean is really good and the food at the buffets were excellent. Brazilian restaurant is not at the same level:(
The beds and pillows were much better this time too. Spa was amazing too.
I can't wait to go back:) Best vacation ever!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank mcristina985
Dear Mcristina...

Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.

So. Cal
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I have reviewed Barceló Maya Palace in August of 2009.
We just came back from our 4th stay at Barceló and were a little disappointed.
It's still a beautiful property and the service is good for the most part, but things seem to be slipping. Last time we stayed at Barceló was December of 2011 and the WiFi in the lobby was free. Now, it's not. Last time we visited, we could pick from a number of restaurants, including
other Barceló properties, like Barceló Beach or Tropical and now we were told we had to stick
only to the restaurants at the Palace, otherwise there was a fee of $25.00 per person.
It looks like the hotel is cutting corners. The service seems to be not as stellar as before, as well.
It took me 4 days to finally get enough washcloths for everyone at the party. Every time I asked, I was told that they only have extra hand towels. The mini bar had more variety of items in it in our previous stays as well. There is not much to do at night. The shows don't seem to attract a lot of people.
The food at the buffets is really repetitive and after 2 days you get pretty sick of it. As far as the restaurants are concerned, French was good, Japanese was not and we didn't even bother with the others, since some of them were not that great on our previous stays.
We had a Premium package and stayed at the Michoacán building. I prefer the Oaxaca, where we stayed before, even though it's a little further to walk. It seems to be a little quieter in the morning.
This is the first time we visited Riviera Maya in January. Definitely bring one set of warmer clothes. One of the days was pretty cold.

Room Tip: Get a Premium package if you can.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank calitravelerSo_Cal
Dear CalitravelerSo_Cal,

Have a good day.
Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Okay, my husband and I and two young kids stayed at the Palace at the end of January 2013 along with another family of 4. That would have been our 4th or 5th visit there (9th or something in total to Mexico). Here's the problem: we felt that the Barceló had kind of lost some of it's great customer service and overall panache. We didn't love the front desk staff and paying for internet is a cash grab, but the biggest problem we had were the BEDS. We aren't picky and high maintenance, but the last time we stayed in January 2013, we could definitely say that the beds had deteriorated from our previous stays. I would go so far as to say that I wouldn't even give the beds we slept on to our worst enemy for free. I even took the mattress pad the maid had on the bed and folded it in half to sleep on. If the resort is 7/8 years old (can't remember exactly when it was built), then our bed was an original and NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. In

December of 2013, we went back to Mexico and decided to stay at the Moon Palace since we didn't want another horrible week of Barcelo beds. The Moon was great in some aspects and just okay in others (can't really swim in the ocean), and we had a typical hard bed but that was fine. Hard is fine, broken down mattresses with springs poking out at the Barcelo is ridiculous when you spend a lot to go to these resorts.

Here's the problem now: my sister and her family are coming with us in March when we go to Mexico and we need to book a resort that will accept her family of 5 (3 kids) in one room. Guess what! Barceló will accept 5 (colonial and tropical won't) but the reviews on here are mixed. One person said they had a brand new bed and then the next however many reviews said the beds were garbage.
We love the hotel: the beautiful grounds, the kid's spray park, the great beach and ocean for snorkelling and swimming and the fact that we have never had any gastrointestinal problems here. The service can be hit or miss (we tip handsomely), but even that doesn't bother us as we can go and get our own drink, etc. But the beds. Man.
Please help! I am hoping that the reviews people have in the next couple of weeks will address the bed problem as we need to book something asap. I've also looked at a few other resorts that will allow 5 people in a room and the tripadvisor reviews are scathing. Yikes. But if you've been to a great resort let me know. As of right now any others we've stayed at before (Iberostars, etc) want that family to buy two rooms to accommodate 5 guests and that gets pretty pricey.
Anyway, I guess I'm hoping someone will give me good news about the beds! Thanks.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank BeachGirlNow
Dear BeachGirlNow

Thank you for your preference! It will be a pleasure to see you en Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe on your vacation, we have different types of beds and hopefully you will like..

Receive a warm greeting from the Riviera Maya.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!