“Um..not our cup of tea”

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This place is HUGE, if you are meeting friends, make sure your rooms are in the same area, otherwise you will be walking for MILES. Think of Las Vegas on the beach, there are 2,700 rooms here. Tons of people and the biggest issue is that one group of hotels (say the beach group) doesn't talk to the other (say colonial). If you check in at one and move to the other, expect to spend HOURS making everything work out...it was a nightmare. The front office of each group is managed separately from the other. Another thing, all inclusive doesn't mean everything unless you get the right colored arm band. The blue band means the buffet, the gold band means the buffet and some of the restaurants the black band...well you get the picture.

As for the grounds...they are SUPER CLEAN, that place is a machine. In the morning, everything is spotless. Not a blade of grass out of place. I have no idea how they manage it, there must be hundreds of people working all night to keep it so clean. The rooms are nice and clean and the buffet is well plentiful. We went with a brother and his kids, it was perfect for that, the kids had a blast, tons for them to do.

Not sure I would go without kids, scratch that, I would never go without kids. If you are looking for a romantic, quiet get away, this is not the place

Room Tip: If you are going with a group, make sure you are in the same complex, otherwise you could be walking...
2  Thank nomad737
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Mr. Nomad737,

We appreciate your comments, since they help us to constantly improve and we would like to take this opportunity to mention the following points:

The Resort has 5 hotels with internal transportation to all the lobbies.

The bracelets are used to identify our guests and the services are offered according to the room category and the hotel booked.

The Resort is all inclusive, however we have some services with an additional cost as it is posted on our website.

Thank you very much for your review.

There are newer reviews for Barcelo Maya Palace

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We went and stayed at the Palace this past April. Almost everything was perfect. I will start off with the one thing that they must improve. Check in...
Very disorganized as to who was next in line. Random people just jumping in front of you and the desk clerks were allowing them. This was frustrating and not a very good start to our vacation.

Now, about everything else. In a word, perfect. The food was fantastic, the service was excellent. Everybody was friendly and most helpful. The beach is beautiful and the pools were something to experience and see. Buffets were so good we did not even bother with the al la carte restaurants. Lobster, steak, scampi, there was always so much to choose from.

We enjoyed their spa and did a couple of part day excursions but mostly enjoyed the pools, ocean and relaxing. Some of the rooms can be quite far from the buffets but ours was very close. The grounds and the rooms were very clean and well taken care of. We will be returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the pools and then you won't have as long a walk to the restaurants and...
3  Thank Dale Q
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Mr. Dale,

You can be assured that we have considered your comments to improve the check in and thank you so much for your positive comments.

It will be a pleasure to host you once again.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I returned to the Barcelo resort after 9 years (where we went to our honeymoon.) We upgraded to the Palace this time and we were pleased with the property. Everything was clean, well maintained, and beautiful. The rooms were spacious and well decorated. The beach was lovely and we enjoyed the few rocks on them because it makes a wonderful view. Unfortunately the service, beds and food left much to be desired. We have a firm mattress at home, so that wasn't the issue. It was that the beds were wonky and offered no support. We hardly slept at night. We've stayed at the RIU Cabo resorts the past three years and the service and food just did not compare. It was my birthday and my husband asked and reconfirmed a bottle of champagne to be sent to our room and it never came. One of the hosts for the various restaurants was rude and condescending 3 different occasions. We also received poor service at the buffet restaurants overall. The service at the restaurants however was great. The pool side service was almost non existent and on the few occasions they came by they forgot things. The food was very repetitive and usually poor quality. Rice over cooked or crunchy, out of stock items, lack of fruit, etc. The other unfortunate issue is that they charge you for WiFi. I don't think we'll be coming back which is a shame.

Room Tip: I would request a room near the lobby or pools. We were the furthest building away and it took us 10...
4  Thank Brandy D
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Brandy D.

We have read your comments and offer you a sincere apology for any incident occurred during your stay.

In relation to food and beverage service, we are really sorry that you had some inconveniences, but mostly a bad impression in general, since we have a wide variety of foods in each of the restaurants and over 20 varieties of fruits; however we are striving to satisfy all our guests.

Although generally have very good feedback about the service, your opinion is very important and we will consider it to improve.

Have a good day!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The Palace premium package was nice to have. Our personal concierge, Jasmine and Ximena were friendly and efficient. Will definitely return. Great place for kids and adults. Dolphin shows, great snorkeling, games to play, great kids play area.

2  Thank Mj G

Dear Mj G,

First of all receive our greetings and thanks for your comments!!

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and it will be a pleasure to host you in the future.

We remain at your service!!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Spent 6 nights (April 17 – 23) at the Barcelo Palace, 2 adults , 3 children . Trip was very short, should’ve done 7 nights instead.
Beach: Very calm, like a lake. Truly picture perfect. Having no jungle separating the pool from the beach is a big plus. I don’t understand how some complain about this beach or setting. The beach has some hidden rocks at the entry level, but not a big deal. I had water shoes on the entire time, one kid wore his water sandals since he did not like the feel of the water shoes. We did not snorkel as much as we thought we would. Kids did not like the snorkeling vests, I think if I had packed the regular life vests they would’ve. But they loved feeding and playing with the fish at the Palace beach. They had a waiter pool service for drinks, but I found it faster to get your drink yourself from the bar, it took 20 minutes to get the drink, so not a big deal if you are not thirsty.
Scuba Diving/Snorkeling:
We did a snorkeling trip from Dressel , it was $20 per kid $35 for adults, the boat ride was like 20 minutes, once we got into the water, the little ones complained they were cold, and we did not pack any towels, so we snorkeled for like 5 minutes and went back .
My 14 year old did the scuba diving with my husband, he loved it. He said that was the best part of the trip. They bought the 6 dive package from Dressel. He was surprised how close the diving reefs were, he said as soon as the boat started, they had to put on their gears b. the distance was so close, for him the longest time he was at a boat was the snorkeling trip one. They did one night dive, and said it was the best dive, but coming back at night, it felt chilly on the boat. He also liked how the Dive masters treated him as an adult. Interestingly one of the dive master was a lady from Discovery Diving North Carolina where they usually dive there, what a small world.
Weather: was perfect, low or zero humidity. Only one day there was some wind and the beach had some baby waves.
Food: we did not do the ala carte, the buffets and grills were ample especially with children. The Coral grill had the hotdog wrapped in bacon, chicken nuggets was very basic, yummy coconut and pineapple ice-cream.
Kids ate cucumbers, salad and water melons. No one got sick. The Kids Barcey section at the buffets had homemade white meat chicken tenders which was excellent, also twice they had veal tenders. Fries Mcdonalds crispy style. Kids enjoyed the different kinds of bread everyday, and water melon juice for breakfast. Fresh orange juice, though the tangerine juice was Tang powder. The pasta sauce Alferedo was horrible straight from a jar, but the bolognese sauce was very good esp. after adding some salt and cayenne pepper. The pizza is like eating bread dough and cheese, nothing especial , though once they had anchovies topping which was actually good. Dessert was very good, try almost every single one to find your preference. They had excellent warm rice pudding dessert during the Mexician theme night. Nutella chocolate little packets at the breakfast buffet, packed some and took to the room for late snacks. Warm crossiants and danish. As for the rule not taking food out, you can take fruits out and desserts, stuffed cold cuts sandwitches. At the Coral grill, the waiter gave us paper cups for the petite dessert, once I left with a small plate full of watermelons and pineapple.
We ate also at the Tropical grill (nicer atmosphere than the Coral grill) and at their buffet. Our impression, food choices were much more at the Palace. Though my husband said he was overwhelmed by the choices at the Palace buffet compared to the Tropical, so he preferred the smaller scale. I had the best furity champagne at the Tropical buffet compared to the very dry one at the Palace. And somehow the waiters at the Tropical Buffet were nicer than the Palace.
If you are a wine drinker, then forget it, pack your own, it gave my husband a headache. They sell wine by the bottle but very expensive (Sutter Home $10 was sold for $45, when we asked why it is so expensive they said b. it is imported ).
Palace buffet closed at 10.30 pm, by 10 pm if you are still there, they would come and tell you last call for the buffet before they remove the food.
Service: was excellent, any request we had was completed in 10 minutes. Not sure if it was because of the tips. I always tip because I don’t want to risk it, when you spend $$$ on a trip, $150 in tips is small and you are guaranteed the best service. Also tipped some of the cooks who are behind the hot grills, felt sorry for them.
Room: was cleaned everyday, and also in the evening when we were not in the room. The air conditioner worked super, the first two days the thermostat would not work, and the room was freezing (like 18 degrees), requested 7 blankets that night. The third day I told the concierge about the issue, and they replaced the thermostat right away. Our room was at the last section of the M building, third floor (8422 if I remember). If I go back, I will stay at the same building because it is the closest to the buffets. The coffee supplied in the room is terrible, I prefer having coffee couple of hours before hitting the buffet for breakfast, if I ever go again I will pack my own. TV had great channels (Disney was in Spanish, Nick TV is in English, also HBO English and CNN).
Canada Transfers: bless them, they are the best. I drove them nuts with changing the departure time, and cancelling and then rebooking. Cancun airport was very croweded and humid, it was Spring break, yet from landing to Barcelo total time was exactly 2 hours.
Phone/wireless: Bought one sim card (mexicosimcard.com) for my son’s iphone, we could not use it as hotpot for the other devices. The service was 3G, good enough for Social media and emails. We tried using his phone to make a local call, the operator was in Mexican, asked someone to translate, they said your card expired! So using the room phone, to call Canada Transfer to change the pickup time, phone call was $5 dollars for five minutes.
Spring Breakers: were not a problem as all. It was actually fun to watch them by the Tropical pool dancing and giggling. They created a fun atmosphere. And reminded us of how we used to be.

Overall, this was a successful trip because I knew where and what to do by reading other reviews. But I can imagine other people frustration if they didn’t know what to expect (like having some cover and slippers on for going to the beach grill).
So things I did not like in this trip:
-Towel cards , keeping track of how many towels you had by the end of the day is ridicules. We started with 7 towel cards (since there were already two red towels in our room). By the end of the trip we had only 4 cards. Thanks to the Club Premium folks who don’t have to deal with that, they left their towels by the end of the day at the chairs, so I grabbed one to make up for the lost card. Although at Check-out , they never asked for the cards , still I gave it back b. I was afraid later on they may charge my credit card .

- Palace lobby is like a ghost town compared to other hotels. Even the Colonial lobby felt the same way. The 24 hour lobby has a door to it, and it felt kind of formal. Why the door!
I preferred the Palladium lobbies, where everything was open, even their theater was at the lobby. Sure the Barcelo Palace theater was very modern and fancy compared to the Palladium. But still something was missing at those lobbies. Maybe the lighting, maybe the bars, not sure what it was.

- The giant Chess area and other outdoor games, all closed by 5.30 pm, so really nothing to do in the evening. But we enjoyed the one hour theater shows every night.

- Something funny and irritating happened at checkout:
Upon checkout at 8.30 am, they gave us a little piece of paper (2 by 6 inch in size) that we can show at the buffet for breakfast b. we did not have the bracelets anymore. Well, we weren’t planning to use anything, so I trashed that piece of paper. When I was getting into the Shuttle, the bellboy demanded that paper, he said then I can’t leave the hotel without handing back that paper to him! He wanted me to go back to the receptionist desk to get a new one. Anyway, I remembered where I trashed it, and gave it back . This is the first time at a hotel check out I ever encountered this.

5  Thank DisneyTrip2008

Estimated DisneyTrip2008,

We appreciate the time you took to write your wonderful experiences, we are pleased to know that your family enjoyed our hotel services and of course we continue working to improve our services.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Just got back from this beautiful resort, spent 1 week with my wife and 2 year old Daughter. I’ve been to a lot of all inclusive resorts and this was the 1st time with my Daughter. What a great week we had. The resort is huge, so is the pool. We found the room to be perfect for us 3 and got lucky by having a room near the kids pool. It can be quite a walk from the rooms at the end of the resort to the buffet/restaurant area.

Everyone that we dealt with was extremely nice and polite. I would consider this a “family resort” and for those going as a couple and would rather have peace, there’s a beautiful “adults only” pool with a bar away from all the frenzy. The resort was 90% full with a lot of locals visiting for a convention, and there were plenty of chairs available. We spent a lot of time in the “kids area”.

Check-in was quick for us as we got there in front of the line, Samuel took the time to explain everything and answered all of my questions. I must have spent at least 15 minutes at the counter, so I can understand that if you’re at the back of the line, check-in could take a little while. After check-in they will send you over at the guest services for internet and restaurant bookings. If you see that there’s a long wait, walk to your room and at the front end of each buildings there a desk with a concierge that can take care of your bookings. We were able to book 4 restaurants without a problem and found all of them to be really good (French, Kyoto, Brazilian, Capri).

The room was really clean and perfect for us and every time that we had a request (thru the concierge) “more water bottles, extra towels …” it was taken care very quickly. Overall we had a great week, with beautiful weather and would not hesitate to go back.

3  Thank Daniel_ATC
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, General Manager at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Mr. Daniel,

It was a pleasure to host you and we are glad that you enjoyed you stay.
We hope you visit us soon!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This July will be our third visit to the Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe with our son and his family. I love every aspect of this resort, especially in terms of accommodations, food and safety. This resort is so clean and beautiful it is almost unbelievable. We take our four grandchildren and when asked where they wanted to go this summer, again they all voted Barcelo. As for the food, one would have to be the most extreme picky person to not find something they didn't enjoy. The entertainment is very enjoyable in a very comfortable environment. I would recommend upgrading to Premium which we fell is well worth the amenities.

What ever you need they strive to provide. If I had to voice any displeasure it would be a better check- in process. Even in the Premium club one will spend at least an hour, and sometimes more, checking in. One other displeasure is the lack of response to "numerous, numerous"emails over the past few months to the manager Alejandro, and the emails to the hotel in general regarding our upcoming 11 day vacation.no response what so ever.

All in all we look forward to our family vacation in a little slice of paradise.

Billie Unik, Springdale, Pa

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Billie U
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Менеджер по связям с общественностью at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Billie U

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe appreciates the time that you have taken to send us your feedback through Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay.
We appreciate your time and hope to have the honor of serving you again.

Best regards from

Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#71 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#73 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!