“Not for Weddings”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Burlington, Canada
“Not for Weddings”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Went to this resort in October of 2013 for my sisters wedding. We went with a party of 80 and had a blast. The wedding was amazing, however, we would not recommend it. They were all over the place when it came to details of the wedding and actually changed my sisters location of the ceremony the day before, luckily she is pretty easy going and went with it. We had a bunch of younger children with the group and the resort was great for them. Another negative was that there is no "club" or "disco" in the resort, you have to take one of the buses to get to it, and it was a bit sketchy.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Taylor M
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Mrs. Taylor

I am very sorry you had a bad impression of our service, so I offer you a sincere apology.

Thank you in advance for choosing us and I hope in the near future give us the opportunity to visit us again.

Best regards.

Barcelo Maya Palace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,296)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We were originally supposed to stay at the Riu Yucatan, but reservations got changed to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe. From the exterior, it seemed that Barcelo was an upgrade from the Riu Yucatan. The resort is massive and has several restaurants to enjoy all your can eat food and drinks. However, as all inclusive restaurants, the food can get a big boring. I usually ended up at the pasta bar or the seafood bar where they will make any pasta or grill any seafood to your liking. I would not recommend the meat as I could not chew into them. They do have a few restaurants you can book in the evenings, but I thought they were all just ok and nothing special. The hotel itself was pretty nice and spacious with the exception of the bed. The bed was very uncomfortable and pillows were too hard. The staff were good, but they weren't spectacular in terms of service. They don't have wifi in all areas of the resort. You will only have wifi in your hotel room or in the lobby and tends to get spotty too, but it was good for us to relax and not be tied down to our phones. However, they do charge you wifi per day and it's only for one phone at a time. You cannot share the wifi per family. The pool, coffee, all inclusive drinks were excellent and you definitely get your bang for the buck if you are a drinker. The resort also has an awesome kid friendly water park section so definitely recommend for families with kids for a family getaway. The location of the resort was great too as it was only about 30 min away from Tulum which was super nice. I could definitely come back here for a family vacation with kids or a fun getaway with girlfriends or the guys for a few days, but if you are looking for a romantic getaway for two I would recommend looking into a boutique hotel in Tulum. One tip I wish I knew was that it is much cheaper to rent a car at the airport ($15/day) so you can roam around and venture to the Tulum ruins, go to a nearby cenote, etc. We ended up renting a car at the resort and it costs $85. They said it was $95, but we were able to get it down to $85 which is still very expensive for a standard vehicle size for one day. Overall, I gave this hotel a very good rating for an all inclusive resort.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy so stay away from the first level floors.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sky10003
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Sky10003,

Thank you for your feedback it is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay; we hope to host you in the future!!

Brighton
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is the fourth time I’ve been to an all inclusive and I will say, it’s the best one I’ve ever stayed at. I believe there are three resorts in one. We stayed at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe which gave us access to all three resorts but I never left the Palace Deluxe to check out the other two.

Positives:
The resort was immaculate and I tend to be a bit OCD about that stuff. They swept and mopped the rooms every day and all of the facilities were incredibly clean. The bathroom in the bedroom was amazing and I took a picture so I can build one for my own house the same way some day. The balcony was a good size and very private. They were constantly painting, gardening, trimming, etc. and doing other non-interruptive renovations. The beach was absolutely beautiful (I’m a beach bum and couldn’t care less about a pool). The sand was soft, the water was warm and clear, there were plenty of chairs and it wasn’t the least bit crowded. We snorkeled while in chin deep water and saw the most beautiful fish. I was with 7 other people so I did end up trying the pool and it was great! The water was clean and warm and the adult pool was a good size and really relaxing. The other pool was great too but I spent most of my time at the beach. The food was really good even at the buffets and there was always something for everyone to eat (one of our friends has Celiac’s and found plenty of options). The restaurants were really good, especially the Brazilian steakhouse which we ate at twice and reservations were easy to make. We made them day-of with no problems even with 8 of us. The drinks were fantastic – top shelf alcohol and if you’re smart, you’ll bring your own insulated cup to keep your frozen drinks frozen. There was also a refrigerator in each room with bottled water, beer and sodas that they refilled for us every day. I felt safe at all times and no one bothered us on the beaches to try selling us anything but massages or day trips and they weren’t pushy at all. I did get a massage on the beach while I was there and it was one of the best ever. Totally worth it! While you can’t walk anywhere if you chose to leave the resort, Playa del Carmen is a 15-20 minute cab ride which should cost you around $25 and it totally worth the trip! The gym had a decent amount of machines and weights even though I only made it there twice.

Negatives:
The beds. I can sleep on nails but have to say, these beds weren’t comfortable at all. I felt the springs in my side and was tempted to flip the mattress because of it. The last night, they switched the bedding and gave us 4 new comfortable pillows and better bedding which I wish we had from the start as it made the uncomfortable mattress a bit better. My two friends staying at the Tropical (who stayed their first 3 nights at the Deluxe) said the beds at Tropical were much more comfortable. Wifi costs extra ($15/day) which seems a bit absurd. If you don’t like walking, you might not like this resort. It’s enormous and everything is very spread out so you really don’t have a choice but to walk. I didn’t mind it at all but if you have a hard time walking, you may not want to stay here. There was an extra charge for room service which seemed a bit weird for an all-inclusive. The only beer you can get is Corona. Kind of a bummer since I HATE Corona but like Corona light. However, they only have Corona so if you’re a beer drinker, you better either like Corona or BYOB. I settled for mixed drinks for the entire trip except for the two nights we went to Playa del Carmen. Checking in took about an hour which was a bit frustrating because we were tired and just wanted to be on the beach but we did an express check-out which took literally minutes (you can only do this if you have no charges to your room).

I would absolutely stay at this resort again and maybe just ask for a room with newer beds. Oh, and if you’re thinking about going around Stanley Cup Playoffs time, just know that you won’t get to watch them at the resort. That’s why we left to go to Playa Del Carmen and the games were on in almost every bar we passed. But it was a really cool place with tons of bars and shops and restaurants so I was happy we ventured out.

Room Tip: There are only 3 levels. I would prefer to stay on a second or third level.
1 Thank MV76
Dear Guest MV76

We have carefully read your comments and we are pleased to know you had a very enjoyable holiday in this place.

Regarding mattresses we have a program to change them and this will improve the rest of our guests.

I appreciate you taking the time to send us your comments.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 13 May 2014

One of the largest & luxurious resorts in Riviera Maya, the best among 5 Barceló resorts on this site. Excellent restaurants, 2 huge buffets which serve Mexican & traditional American dishes (steaks, pasta, etc.). Plenty of room on a beach and around the pool, poolside bar has good selection of international liquors. The only downside – not enough shade under tents, so you’d have to get up earlier to get a spot, or stay under the palm tree on a beach

Room Tip: 2nd floor is not that hot & noisy, try to get the north view, so you'd be able to use the ba...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank michael s
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Менеджер по связям с общественностью at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear TSTHSH,
Thank you very match, for your comments it’s very important to the success of our hotel, we will consider your opinion to improve our service and achieve our goal of complete customer satisfaction.

Kind regards from Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was my first time at an all-inclusive, and I was there for the weekend for a friend's wedding.

First note: Barcelo Maya is over an hour away from the airport, and the transportation that I arranged in advance, Lomas Travel, was not very fast. If you're not OK with arriving at the hotel 2-3 hours after landing, consider private transportation.

The check in process was somewhat slow and frustrating. Everyone was very nice and accommodating, but it took a while to get everything done. Wi-fi was another process. It took a while to sign up for it (wasn't included) and the signal barely worked. I ended up getting a refund at the end because I'd paid $13 per day and it only worked in the lobby and was spotty in my room.

The hotel itself is lovely. I gave this review 4 starts because cleanliness is far and away my biggest factor in rating hotels. The place was spotless. As with other humid climates, they could use more ventilation in the rooms. I agree with other reviewers about the beds - they weren't comfortable. But the bathrooms were very nice, and I have no complaints with any of the facilities as far as maintenance. Also, the beaches and pools were beautiful.

The pool areas were very nice and large, nothing was too overcrowded, and I always felt I had space to spread out. I felt it was a nice place for families; however, our group was mostly adults, and we were fine. The rooms were very far away - I got great exercise because everything was a 5-10 minute walk away.

The food at the buffet was fine, but nothing spectacular. I also had dinner at one of the restaurants, and I expected the quality to be better than at the buffet, but it wasn't. My biggest complaint was actually with the drinks. They did not have the option of getting top shelf liquor. The benefit was that I ended up not drinking much.

Overall, it was a good experience. I would like to try another resort to have a better comparison. As far as swimming, the beach, etc. - perfect. If I'm looking to spend more time dining and relaxing in bed, there might be better options.

Room Tip: Try to be closer to the lobby. Oaxaca is the farthest from the main areas and was a pretty far walk...
1 Thank SangamonSt
Dear SangamonS
Thank you very much for your preference! and thank you very much for your comments, your opinion is very important and we will consider it to improve.

Best greetings
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is my first time staying at a Barcelo Palace resort. We are here for a wedding, and if it was up to me I would check out immediately. The food is absolutely horrendous, and the service is mediocre. The only edible thing on the menu is the salad and sometimes the fruits. The greeters at the front are amazing and the service is superb until you pay. I am basing this review on other hotels and experiences as this on doesn't hold a candle. So if you are on a budget or don't have taste buds Barcelo is for you. If you want to charge your mobile device or tablet in your room while by the pool forget it. There is a device in the room that shuts the power down if you aren't active in the room. If you want to sleep in. Forget it. The spa phoned me at 7:45 this morning for an inquiry. If that doesn't wake you. The paper thin front door will. I feel like it's the room from the horror flick 1408 and I've crossed through hell. I've honestly dreamt how great it would be to be back in my own bed and not here. The hotel looks like a 4 star. Tastes like a 2 star and deserves a 3.

I van certificate this is my genuine experience as I am here right now, in my room. Wishing I was at the last resort I went to. Which would be unfair to post. But the lesson is learned.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Mr/ Ms. Citytosunset,

It grieves us to know that you are not enjoying your stay, at the same time we are surprised that we have no information of any comments or similar complaint. We offer you a sincere apology for any inconvenient caused.

Can you please be so kind to give us more information about your stay, we would greatly appreciate if you contact us through the Front Desk Manager whom can assist you gladly.

We are at your service!

Armando Becerra
Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I found that stating the rooms were ocean view was quite deceptive. You can see only a small portion of the ocean --- AFTER you look over 2 pools and a couple of buildings. Hardly my idea of ocean front

1 Thank bouttahere
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Ms.bouttahere,

Our main goal is that all our guests have a pleasant stay; in this case we regret that you did not fully enjoyed the view from your room.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!