“If you want a wonderful time...this is the place to go” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
United States
“If you want a wonderful time...this is the place to go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

The resort is really nice indeed. The building is beautiful and grand. The customer service is fair. I had a little problem in placing my name in a waiting list for one more day and for 4 days I was told to check it daily, however on the last moment I was told that they had an oversale problem and I had to stay on the next Resort Tropical which I already had reservations for it for one day. I also had trouble transferring from one resort to the next. Despite this inconvenience the Palace is great. The accommodation is large, clean, well equipped with everything that one may need. The only thing is that the bed is hard. I'm not a soft bed lover, so this was ok with me. However, a friend order a pillow top for her bed with an extra cost. The swimming pools are extremely large, clean and beautiful, with wet bars, playground on the children's pool.The beach side is nice, however I walked further to the next resorts "Tropical and Colonial" for a better stretch of sand and less rocks. The resort offers tons of free entertainment daily , with free shows at the theater at night, activities at the pool and the beach, dolphin shows daily. The complex has a nice gym, sauna, 4 different restaurants (French was my favorite) and nice selection on their buffet.I was attending to a wedding at the Palace and the wedding setting was gorgeous...never had so much fun at a beach wedding before. The only thing is that on the later afternoon, some beach goers gather around the ceremony to watch, so no privacy (not a big deal I think), however, once the sun sets the beach is all for the wedding celebration.

Room Tip: I have stayed at a first floor which is extremely well accessible.I saw tons of handicapped people s...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Ms. Grazilind,

We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel buildings, the different activities, the beach, restaurants and especially the wedding you attended.

Regarding your extension for one night, we regret you had to wait to confirm an additional night at the resort, as we had a high occupancy during your stay.

We appreciate your feedback and will be happy to assist you in the future.

Without further,

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,230)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Lovely place right on the beach. Fantastic food, very friendly staff. The hotel trips were very well planned, dolphins, ruins etc well worth the money. We had a suite which was excellent, room cleaned every day. Evening entertainment was varied, something to suit everyone. Will visit again soon :)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sss_11
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest.

Thank you for your comments, it will be a pleasure to know you had a great holidays.

We would like you come back to this wonderful hotel.

Sincerely

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We just returned from a wonderful week at the Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe. I rely heavily on the reviews you all leave so I thought I’d contribute my thoughts while they were fresh in my mind.

While the place was paradise on earth, there were a couple things that need fixing. The principal one is the shuttle. The complex consists of five distinct resorts. If you’re just going to the one next door, you can hike it if the weather is good but if you’re going further, you have to take the “shuttle”. I use that term rather loosely because the shuttle at this ultra-fancy, expensive resort is a simple open air, people trailer pulled by a farm tractor. If it’s raining, and it’s a good bet it will at least one day in a week, you’re going to get wet. If you’re traveling to one of the many restaurants in the required dress code, you’re going to arrive with wet evening attire. And, it doesn’t run on any kind of a schedule. A round trip takes at least a half hour or more so if you just missed the shuttle, you have a long wait until it comes back around. They need to fix this and increase the number of shuttles to at least two.

Again, ultra-fancy place with most everything you could want included with the all-inclusive package – except Internet access. If you want it, you have to register with the business center and it cost around $14 for 24 hours. You would thing that in today’s wired world, they would offer Wi-Fi in the lobby or bar. Want to print out your boarding passes before leaving for the airport? Ya gotta pay. Sure, there are a lot of hotels that charge for this access but you would think that all-inclusive would include this feature.

And a cost savings you might avail yourselves is with the drinks. Wow. Try to name one exotic drink that these folks can’t make. You pay more at the Palace to enjoy premium, named liquor but keep in mind that all those exotic drinks are usually made with the no-named stuff so unless you specify a “Jack Daniels and Coke” or a “Sky Vodka and tonic”, you’re going to get the off-brand stuff. If that’s fine with you, save yourself some money and don’t upgrade. Or…on the occasion when you want a nicer drink, pay the up-charge for just that drink.

So much for the negative stuff. The service can’t be better. Wonderful staff at your beck and call. The facilities are impressive, immaculate and very well maintained. The pool must cover an acre – massive, and all interconnected. Lots of recreational equipment for your use and much of it included with your fee. It caters to children and they have fabulous pool areas and folks to keep them busy with crafts if you want to park them for an afternoon. You can make reservations for three restaurants at one time so book ahead and try a variety. We ate at six different restaurants with six different cuisines and had six great meals. Although, the buffet is so good, you could eat there all the time and be thrilled with all the choices.

It’s a long ride from the airport (just over an hour) so book your transportation when making your travel arrangements. Lots of reputable ones and way more otherwise. Be sure to take along some cash to parcel out to the staff. They work hard and deserve a nice tip.

So my indirect thanks to all the reviewers from whom I benefited and I hope you gain some benefit from my notes.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank Stephen S
Dear Mr. Stephen.

Thanks you for taking the time to write your comments which help us to improve day by day.

Your opinions about the shuttle and internet services certainly they will help us and will contribute to improve our services.

It is a pleasure to know that you really enjoyed your holiday, I hope that you visit us again.

Best regards

Gneral Manager
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife and I loved this place and would go back in a heart beat! We are clean freaks and one of the things we liked about this resort was the cleanliness of the property. My wife and I have a system where every time we stay at a hotel room, she unpacks and I inspect the room for unwanted insects, stains or any nastiness. We've been through horror story's in the past in the so called "nice" hotels in downtown Chicago and they left us scarred for life. So now, every hotel gets inspected thoroughly and I'm happy to say that the room we stayed at was very clean and made us feel very comfortable really quick. I can also tell you that being in the restaurant industry I can notice things that perhaps an average person can't and again when I went to the **INDOOR buffets and sit down restaurants I noticed that everything was clean and properly maintained. If you can, stay away from the outdoor ones, I saw that they did their best to keep the food at proper temps BUT being SOO hot it's hard to, that's anywhere of course. The food qualify wasn't out of this world, compared to what you may be accustomed to in the 5 star rest... in Chicago per say but it was safe and that's what matters. Don't get me wrong it was still good and the variety was excellent so unless you're SUPER high maintenance you'll be fine at Barcelo. The staff were all hard workers and took care of you without delay. I requested for new batteries for the TV's remote and extra pillows and were provided immediately for us. All in all I do recommend this resort because the pros definitely overweigh the cons. Oh yes, the weather, if you see storms on their forecast DON"T LISTEN to it, they are 50% right. Plus, it's soo hot that at times cloudy skies are appreciated and even if it down pours it's no more than at most an hour after that the kids can come out and play. I know that was one of my concerns. I'm going back without question, hopefully soon!!!!

Room Tip: I noticed some guests complaining about room temp, not sure if they tried or didn't notice but y...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rick A
Dear Mr. Rick A.

Usually the people that work in the industry we are very demanding, which makes have almost perfect facilities for all our guests who have the pleasure of enjoying this beautiful place.

On the other hand, it is a pleasure to receive your satisfactory comments since these reflect the good work of our team.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. It will be a pleasure to serve you in the future.

Best Regards,

Pearland, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We just returned from a 5 night stay at Deluxe and absolutely loved it!! The customer service was top-notch (almost comparable to a Disney experience). We were checked into our room within 5 minutes. All the employees were very friendly, especially at the various restaurants.
The food was excellent with the exception of the Coral Grill lunch - I would tend to agree with the prior review. The burgers were not cooked through and the buffet wasn't very good. However, the buffets at Mirador and La Hacienda were terrific as well as the formal dinner restaurants.
Rooms, facilities, beach & pools were very clean!
I would definitely recommend for a family - we had our 14 year old daughter & 6 year old son... this will now be our yearly vacation spot.

Room Tip: Michoacan building, 3rd floor - closets to restaurants & pools, not a far walk from beach
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephanie J
Dear Ms. Stephanie,

We appreciate your kind comments which are shared with our staff and of course we will continue working to improve every day, it will be a pleasure to host you once again.

Thank you for your preference!

Best regards,

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here in May 2013. This was our second all inclusive after Jamaica and we were expecting a 5 star experience, but sadly we were left disappointed. It is a beautiful hotel with clean and tidy grounds and a good bedroom, but sadly that was the best of the holiday.

The food on offer was absolutely appalling, I have never seen such poor standard of food on offer. for what you pay, they certainly get there moneys worth. The snacks in the bar was our main food for the holiday.

We wanted to use the spa but had no prices in the room. We took a walk to the spa to get a price list and they wouldn't let us take one away. From what we saw, totally over priced.

I will go back to Mexico again, but will stay in a better resort.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Seanakiel
Dear Mrs.Seanakiel

First of all thank you in advance for taking the time to send us your comments.

About the food, we offer you an apologies, we would have liked to get your satisfaction, although we wished that you contact us to explain the great variety and quality of national and international dishes we offer, with over 20 restaurants, including buffets with theme nights, restaurants a la cart and snack grills.

We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again and change the image of our service.

Best regards.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife chose Barceló Maya Palace to celebrate our Anniversary. With friendly staff, a huge variety of food, nightly entertainment and shopping within 30 minutes, you can't go wrong. The view is breathtaking; the beach is clean as well as the entire resort. Unfortunately, it rained most of the time we were there; however, we were still very comfortable because there is a beautiful covered path that allows you to walk most of the grounds without getting wet from the rain. We found plenty to do with sheltered pool tables, an exercise room and gift shops. We took advantage of a couples massage and once the thunder subsided, we even swam in the sporadic sprinkles of rain! I have two complaints, lousy mattresses and no free Wi-Fi. They charge $40 and it doesn't work from various parts of the resort. We ended up locking the phone in the safe and not messing with it. To our disappointment they did not refund our fee.

Room Tip: Choose an adult building for a quiet pool away from loud crowds.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Mr. Paul.

Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments, always it will be a pleasure to know that you had a great holidays.

About the beds, we have a program to change the mattresses and about the wifi we are analysing how to improve the service.

We hope to give us the opportunity to visit us again.

Best regards.

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#39 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,265 reviews
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!