“Not For Singles or Couples, But Maybe for the Family”

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Let me summarize the pros and cons of this property and then if you are interested, read further through:

PROs: Great beach, good variety of things to do, very good kids facilities/entertainment, good on-property shopping options
CONs: Below average food (even for an all-inclusive), Inattentive service
RECOMMEND (Y/N?): I probably won't stay here again. Families with small children may want to give this hotel a look.

The Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe is one of five properties that are operated adjacent to each other in Puerto Aventuras, which is about an hour's drive south of Cancun airport. This hotel is the northern-most of the five properties and is marketed as the "premium" option among the hotels. For ground transfers, we used Entertainment Plus, which made things very easy with direct online booking and payment. Your total roundtrip should be in the $150 range for a private transfer for a family.

Initial impression not great. Took almost 30 minutes to check in. I get that you won't check in as fast here as a business hotel, but it required the staff approximately 20 minutes to check in each family. Everything required them to go into the back office....even stapling items!

Room was decent. Air conditioning was good and furnishings are average. The beds themselves are not very comfortable. A small mini-bar with beverages and a few snacks that is re-supplied was available. Bathrooms/shower and amenities were good.

The infrastructure of the property, the pool areas, dining, etc are very good. There are pools designated for small children, there is a sport pool for water polo/basketball, an adults-only pool and a large general use pool that has the usual swim-up bar. Drinks are served poolside but dining is not offered there which I found unusual. In fact, the only place outside of the restaurants on the entire property (and room service) where you can eat is in front of one of the walk-up bars and you are charged additional for being served food here. You are also charged for room service, which is different than most other premium all-inclusives.

The beach is actually one of the best I have visited in Cancun. The property is centered around a beach with very soft, almost white sand which is bordered on edges of the property by shallow coral reefs. You can walk out almost a quarter of a mile in the beach section and still keep your head above water.

Kids activities are numerous with Dolphin experience on property (advance res required) and after-dinner shows that allow children to show off their singing and dancing skills.

However, all of this could not compensate for what is, even by all-inclusive standards, a pretty horrible food offering. Not that there was any lack of food---in fact, there were two entire buffet halls---but no matter what we selected it just was poor quality or taste. Even the Mexican food was lacking. So after several days, our kids were eating hamburgers at almost every meal and we were eating whatever basic plate that could be cobbled together. The only passable meal we had was at their French restaurant, with some of the meat dishes having flavor.

The drinks at the bar were not especially great either. I could see that they did stock some premium liquor, but by lunch-time all of those bottles were gone and they were producing cocktails with local brands of vodka, rum or whatever else. Safest option was to stick with beer.

Also, a lot of things that Premium all-inclusives include in the rate are not here. This includes room-service dining, pool-side dining and wireless access.

Overall, I would definitely not recommend this hotel for singles or couples. This is potentially a decent offering for families with children. However, while the hotel bills itself as a "Deluxe" property, this is a four-star hotel at best with three-star food/beverage, four-star infrastructure and a five-star beach.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank nycflyer
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear nycflyer,

We appreciate your feedback. The hotel has generally very good acceptance for singles, couples and families, we regret that your stay was not to your liking.

Yours Sincerely,

Customer Service

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Before booking our trip to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe I read all of the reviews so I thought I would share my thoughts so that others considering this hotel can get a better idea of what to expect.

This was our fourth time vacationing in Mexico and each time we have stayed at a different resort. This was by far the best resort we have stayed at. After reading all the reviews on this hotel I was scared about the beds, the check-in process, extra charges showing up on my visa bill, bad service, etc. To my suprise we had the best experience...here are my thoughts!

Check-in:

This process this did take a little while but to be honest I don't understand all the complaints and how they could make this process any faster. They take the time to fill out all the paper work, get the necessary signatures, provide you with bracelets, provide an overview of the resort and give you all the information you need to make your stay comfortable. I think if they rushed through this process I would have a problem! So needless to say the check-in process was fine, just be patient...your in paradise...have a drink while you wait!

Rooms:

The rooms were beautiful and big. Some of the complaints were noisy hallways and hard beds...I have to agree. We had a 1.5 year old with us and we stayed on the main floor. During day time naps I would have the tv on to help tune out some of the hallway noise. As for the hard beds...there is not much you can do!

Food:

We didn't get a chance to go to any of the resturants but the buffet was excellent. Great selection of food. Towards the end you start to get a little tired of buffet food but thats with any resort. They always had plenty of sea food, salads, pizza, etc. There were never ever any empty trays. They even had a lobster night which was great. The servers are all very friendly and provided great service.

Grounds:

I have to say I was shocked at how clean this resort was. There was not a speck of dust anywhere. It was quite impressive. Workers were always busy cleaning, mopping, sweeping, trimming, etc.

Pools:

The splash/water slide pool for the kids is amazing here. It felt like everywhere you looked there was a pool. It was clean and the swim up bar was wonderful. Lets just say there is enough to do at the pools to keep you busy all day whether your a kid or an adult.

Beach:

Beautiful beach with lots of chairs. In my many years in mexico I have never seen so many people in the ocean.

Wifi:

I do wish this was free but sadly it was not. I paid about $55 for a week of wifi. I did find that i could us it everywhere on the resort though so it paid off.

Feed the fish:

You can buy fish food at the gift shop by the pool for about $1.50 (US Dollar) per bag. Buy a couple bags and head down to the pier and feed the fish. Its an amazing experience. There a hundreds of fish that fight over the food.

The only other negative that really isn't the fault of the hotel would be the 1.5 hour drive from the airport to the resort. After a six hour flight the 1.5 hours seems like forever...but it was worth it!

Overall i would have to say we really enjoyed our time at this resort. This would be the resort we would return to every year. It provides enought to keep the youngest to the oldest busy and happy.

5  Thank S R

Dear S.R.

Thank you very much for your preference, it is nice to know that this hotel has been one of your best experiences.

I read each of your comments about the rooms, food, gardens, beach, pools, etc. which are very important to us and especially thank you for your understanding of the checking in process, your comments are very accurate.

The Wifi service has an additional cost; as an improvement we have recently installed Wifi coverage in Plaza Mexican and perhaps in the future we will have more changes.

Once again thank you for your loyalty and your comments, we hope to serve you soon.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Pros:
- staff was very friendly minus the front desk when you have a problem.
- beach was great

Cons:
- no AC in our room for 4 days. Nothing was done to resolve this.
- phone in our room didn't work and when they replaced it, it still didn't work.
- buffet food was mediocre at best.
- walk from our room to the lobby was 15 minutes.
- people reserved chairs around the pool and in the shade and never even used them all day. We needed up going to the beach resort to get chairs around the pool.

I would honestly stay at the Beach or Tropical resort next time. The grounds and pools were just as nice and it wasn't as busy. I wouldn't call this a 5 star resort when you have to sleep on your air mattress and towels because the beds are honestly like rocks unless you upgrade your room!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Beachgirl198411

Dear Beachgirl198411,

Thank you very much for your feedback a please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience caused during your stay.

We are very sorry that you had a problem with your air conditioner; perhaps there was some unexpected situation.

In relation to the food, we have a great varied and generally have very good acceptance, we regret that it was not to your liking.

With regard to the beach chairs, is not permitted to reserve spaces but unfortunately some guests do not respect this rule.

Regarding the beds, we have softeners in case guests request them.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Recently, we againhad an amazing opportunity to stay at this resort. This is our 3rd trip to the Palace. It did not disappoint. The staff is 1st rate and cordial. We were especially impressed with our waiter, Fernando, in the French restaurant. His attention to detail was unsurpassed. Great job, Fernando.

One downside--the restrooms by the pool are potentially dangerous. Water on tile makes for a very, very slippery surface. We slipped many times. It could be corrected easily by using more of the rug placed at the entrance.

3  Thank BroncosFan_12
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Estimado Broncos Fan_12,

Once again it is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay and the attention of our staff, please consider Barceló as your second home and be assured that you comments have been considered.

Have a wonderful day!!!

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 June 2014

This a very honest Review.

Pros

Friendly Staff
Nice Pool
Very nice Installations
Food is Good
High end Bottles. Black label, Buchanans, etc

Cons

Expensive WiFi @ 13 dollars per day and signal is as weak as it can get.
Very Hard beds, back still aching a bit
A/C was bad in all the four rooms we got, called lobby never fix it. Hard to sleep when you are sweating
Ants in the rooms, again called lobby and they never came. you have to sleep with ants in your sheets.
My biggest problem was I was told I would get 3000 points towards spa, excursions, private dinners etc. when I show up to the hotel I get nothing but some coupons that I was not able to use, very disappointing
Also beware they charge for room service and they have no free international calls like all the other hotels in Cancun do. So beware to leave your credit card open as they want you to because when you check out you will have a surprise bill.

I'm sorry to say but I will not be going back to this place ever again. I felt cheated after paying more than $8000.00 for 4 rooms and not getting my moneys worth

Room Tip: Go to another hotel or resort,
6  Thank Omar M

Dear Mr. Omar M.

We regret that you have taken a bad image of service; generally we receive very good comments however your feedback is very important to us, as it help us to constantly improve.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience during your stay.

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

The grounds were beautiful, snorkelling was amazing. My favourite part was being able to feed the sea turtles bananas right off the beach. The food was an 8/10 and the beach was 9/10 only for the simple fact there were no umbrella/huts to give constant shade throughout the day.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Miss Melanie,

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe appreciates the time that you have taken to share your comments with us.

Have a good day!

Regards,

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We had a party of 6 (2 seniors, 2 adults, and 2 kids at the age of 7 and 5) and stayed in Barcelo Maya Palace from May 28 to June 3. This was my third time visiting Cancun/Riviera Maya area, and the first time staying in Barcelo. We chose this resort this time mainly due to the size of the resort and the mini water park for the kids.

Rooms: We got two rooms next to each other. The rooms are located furthest to the lobby, pool and ocean area, about 5 min walking distance. This doesn't bother us, as we all love walking. Besides bed(s), both rooms have two big sofa/futons. The housekeep brought in extra sheets and pillows and even made the beds on the futons for us after knowing our kids would sleep on it. The only complaint is the bed. I don't like the plastic cover on the beds.

Beach and Public area: Beach is somewhat rocky. If you walk a few minutes further, the beach for Barcelo Tropical and Colonial is better. The grounds are always nice and clean.

Restaurants: Buffet and grill are always good. We didn't have any problems to make reservations for any of the specialty restaurants. We tried Japanese, Seafood, and French. The Japanese restaurant is average. We all love the French and Seafood restaurants.

Shows: We watched three shows and they were all fantastic. The karaoke night was also fun.

Barcy Club (kids club). The club opens from 10am to 9pm. My two boys spent most of their vacation times in the club and still thought it wasn't enough. The club offers different activities everyday, as well as one hour play time in the water park. The teachers were super nice and kind.

Overall, we had a wonderful time in Barcelo Maya Palace and will consider to go back in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Dondonee
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Ms. Dondonee,

We are glad to know that you had a wonderful time in this paradise and it would be a pleasure to host you once again.

Thank you for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#69 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!