“Phenomenal vacation for the family! Will be back.”

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Chicago, Illinois
“Phenomenal vacation for the family! Will be back.”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Arrived into cancun airport from ORD with my wife and 2 kids (4 and 6 year olds). Airport was very busy and long lines but went much faster than US immigration. We had transport prearranged with apple vacations. Waited about 45 minutes for the bus to get us. But no worries. We were on vacation. Was about 1 hour to hotel. No stops. On way back to airport we did stop 5 times. Busses very comfy. Wish airlines had that type of seating!

Arrived around 3p. Front desk was very attentive and very friendly. I spoke some Spanish and conversed with staff entire time. It is a long and manual process and rooms are preassigned. We also got purple wrist bands which meant no towel cards (yay)! Room was michoacan 8100 series 3rd floor. Rooms not ready till 4:30p which was fine. Go eat and explore the resort! We had champagne and cake waiting as it was our 13 year anniversary! Beds were horrible as all reviews stated and no padding avail for entire stay. Did we care? No! We were on vacation! Why worry about the little things! Housekeeping was impeccable. They recd tip daily. We had small ocean view but never were in room aside from changing, showering and sleeping. We wd never upgrade nor do club premium. Not worth it.

Restaurants
Only the 4 restaurants were available at palace for us. And u cd only book 3 nights in advance. Had to go back to book other nights. All times were available. Rodizio and brasserie were our favorite with service at these 2 above the others. Caribe was good but Tokyo was bad - food and service alike. Buffet stations were amazing. So much to choose from and some nights had grilled lobster! Nothing was recycled like some crazy doctor claimed. We even drank non bottled water and not 1 of us got sick. But we travel a lot so we not recommend to anyone. Service at buffets was impeccable. Try don Julio reposado tequila. And Mexican hot chocolate! Very good.

Pools were phenomenal. The adult pool was so quiet and peaceful but no shade. We had to play towel game at 7:30 - 8 in mornings or u did not get shaded areas. There were tons of loungers available just not all shaded. Some days we did beach and there was always chairs anywhere or u could move them where u wanted. Beach by palace was IMHO far superior than others. Hardly any waves, tons of fish, lots of openings with no rocks, and sand amazingly soft.

Barcy Club. Kids loved it. They made many friends from everywhere. They loved the mini disco nights where they get to play on the stage of the Monte Alban theatre and win prizes. the water park was awesome. Probably the fave for the little ones in addition to letting them order their own non-alcoholic drinks! Sometimes stayed till 10 pm with their friends! Kids also loved the tractor ride to all hotels and seeing iguanas, moths, deer, agoutis and birds. Leaving the kids at barcy club for dinner also gives parents a huge break to eat dinner peacefully and quietly while kids have dinner and fun with their friends!

This was one of our best vacations and the service, staff and setting is what make this place stand out from other hotels. It was a most enjoyable and relaxing vacation. Cannot wait to be back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Magewaver11
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Megewaver11,

Our main goal is that all our guests have a pleasant stay and a happy return home, we are pleased to know that you enjoyed your holiday.

Have a nice day and look forward to serving you soon.

Kindest regards,

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,268)
  • Polish first
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed June 3-10. This was our first time at an all inclusive resort and our first time in Mexico.

My family--my parents (age 48,50), me and my husband and our 1 year old, and 5 siblings aged 23-13. We stayed in 3 rooms and we were able to get two of them together with a door in between that connected us. I was very adamant about getting at least two of the rooms next to each other so I could put my baby to sleep and use a video monitor to watch him in the next room. We couldn't be guaranteed a room next to each other, but when we checked in it wasn't a problem at all. I just wish all 3 rooms could have been right next to each other.

The rooms were great! Very large and very clean. We got a crib for the baby and I put it behind the blackout curtain by the balcony so he would sleep longer. I also put the little video monitor under this curtain so we could watch him. The video monitor plan worked perfectly.

The rooms were all tile, which got really slippery when wet. I slipped one time and bruised my knee pretty good. The one complaint about the room is the beds--they were really uncomfortable for several reasons. We asked them to put a pillow topper on them, and they did. They keep the pillow toppers under the mattress! So they are super lumpy. The other reason is it is super humid in the rooms. The AC runs really well, but nothing is going to dry in that room (we had to put swimsuits on the balcony if we wanted them to dry). The blankets on the bed don't breath at all, so the sheets were literally wet and we pretty much sweated all night. Luckily we had two beds in our room, so me and my husband slept separately. But we would have rather slept comfortably in one bed. My parents had a king bed and didn't have any complaints about that.

The resort itself is amazingly well kept. I hardly saw any bugs or trash or dirt. Nearly all the workers are really nice and friendly, although most didn't speak English super well. The rooms were pretty close to the pool area. The pool, beach, and restaurants are all very close to each other. The pools were huge and awesome! The kid pool was very fun, but a little too deep for my one year old to crawl around in. There were always lots of open chairs on the beach. We were able to rent snorkeling gear, kayaks, paddle boats, and catamarans, and a volleyball without a problem. My husband won a ping pong tournament and got a free t shirt.

Also the resort was very stroller friendly.

My dad swam with dolphins at Dolphinaris and it was so fun to watch him! He loved it.There was a place off the pier where you could jump in with a bunch of fish, but one of them bit me, so that was kind of scary.

The food at the restaurants was quite good, especially the Japanese restaurant. The French one had some good things too, and the Brazilian one was pretty good. I didn't love the seafood one (Caribe) but I don't really like seafood. The buffets were ok--we only ended up going for breakfast and I would only end up eating a croissant and some hot chocolate and maybe some eggs. There was a wide selection of "international" food, so a lot of weird stuff. And we saw them setting out the food hours before the meal would be open, so that explained why everything at the buffet was pretty stale and cold. The grills by the pool were also pretty ok. There were a few good things, like guacamole and chips. I never saw any peanut butter or cheddar cheese.

We don't drink alcohol, but we loved the free drinks! We got a lot of virgin Chocolate Mudslides (I kept getting asked, you know that's just frozen chocolate milk, right? Yes, I know). They didn't have rootbeer.

The forcast said 100% chance of rain everyday, but I never saw it rain once! It was overcast for the first few days, but still very hot and humid. I didn't mind a screen from the sun :)

It was such a fantastic vacation that my dad said he shed a few tears when we had to leave.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nbarber08
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear nbarber08,

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe appreciates the time that you have taken to share your comments with us. It would be a pleasure to have the honor to serve you and your family again, delicious mudslides are waiting for you in this paradise!

Best regards,

Customer Service
Barceló Maya Beach Resort
canada
Reviewed 19 June 2014

A little late on review stayed April 27 to May 4. Changed room to ocean view on second day as was closer to restaurants lobby etc. the premium lounge was nothing special compared to other hotels. The buffet was average but the a la cartes were excellent. Loved the way all the restaurants had ocean views. Was there for a wedding and found the wedding coordinator Xhail was amazing and went above and beyond to make the day special. There was a cocktail hour on a beautiful roof top lounge that was a beautiful and unique spot. Thank you Xhail you are amazing
Went to look at the new lobby in the maya section it is really different and has a real wow factor. I would recommend the Palace if you don't mind walking

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank deepwaterqueen
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear deepwaterqueen,

We are glad you enjoyed your room, the restaurants a la cart and especially the service that Ms. Xhail provided during the organization of the wedding.

Cordially,

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I just returned from the resort and wanted to give a fair review. This was my first trip to Mexico. The hotel was stunning. The landscape and grounds were so well taken care of. The food was great. Went to buffets several times. Dinner was always in a speciality restaurant. All were delicious. Great variety and if you leave hungry it's your own fault. The beach and ocean were breathtaking. Plenty of seating at pools and beach. The staff are some of the nicest people ever. They are kind helpful and love to tease with you. Anything you want they bring. I hurt my foot and they made available a scooter for me to rent for our entire stay. The only issue we had was the room. The air, fridge, and phone did not work. Room was very humid and damp. hater a couple nights we requested a room change. They sent us to a room already occupied. The concierge came immediately and gave us an upgraded room. We were so delighted with the vacation. Especially that blue, turquoise water. I would go back tomorrow!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Barclay2111
Dear Barclay2111,

It is very satisfying to know that your stay was pleasant and that the incidents in you room were attended promptly.

Thank you for your preference.

Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed at the Palace from May 18-June 1st enjoyed the Barcelo resort, but when I booked at the Palace was not sure why they changed from Adults only to family. The atmosphere has changed not as one on one. Stayed at the Presidential Suite and it was great. But again being Barcelo I expected more. Everything is clean and people are friendly as expected.
I have stayed at the Barcelo resort numerous times and I think I need to go somewhere else to appreciate it more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Colleen K,

I have read your comments and possibly your perception was different as we have not made such changes, however we express our sincere appreciation for your preference.

Best Regards,

Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 June 2014

From the moment we arrived until checkout it was wonderful! I was a little nervous after reading previous reviews but we had no issues! Check in and out for that matter was a breeze! The staff was friendly and helpful , food was great and plentiful. The beach was amazing as was our rooms. The only issue we had was a large group of high school students who arrived the day after us and were a little out of control!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Judith R
Dear Judith R,

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, thanks for sharing them!!

South Dakota
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Palace June 4th-11th for our third time there and once again we loved it! Decided to upgrade one of our 2 rooms to Club Premium and I am glad we did. Third floor Michoacan building room 8036. Perfect location! Close to pools, lobby, ocean, and restaurants! Even had an ocean view!

We ate at the French (Brasserie) twice just because we had such great service from Fernando! Seriously, ask for him! Absolute best waiter ever! We also ate at the Brazilian, Caribe, Italian (Capri), and Kyoto (Japanese show table). No problem getting reservations and times we wanted.

My son (who is almost 10) liked the trainer for a day program with the dolphins so much he did it for two full days! Once in a lifetime experience he will never forget! Very professional group running the Dolphinaris there!

We also had a blast snorkeling, parasailing, jet skiing, and most importantly just enjoying the amazing beach and ocean! Love, love, love the Barcelo! Can't wait to return again someday!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nurse_wendy0
Daer Nurse_Wendy1,

Thank you for your comments! It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay.

Best regards,

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,990 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,754 reviews
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,368 reviews
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!