“Fantastic place for a family reunion!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace

Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
New York City, New York
“Fantastic place for a family reunion!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I am generally not a fan of "all inclusive" hotels, but the Maya Palace Deluxe was terrific. I think there are a few incorrect reviews here, as the Palace is the most upscale of the 5 Barcelo hotels along this beach, so make sure you book this particular hotel (which is likely at a higher price point than the other hotels).

Pros:
buffets were huge, with plenty of choices (but does get boring)
French restaurant and Brasilian Steakhouse were both terrific
rooms were huge, with great AC, overhead fan, excellent shower, balcony, etc
beach was wonderful, water was crystal clear
Adult pool was AWESOME...most comfortable sun loungers and shaded mini-bugalows/beds could be rented for US$20 per day
top shelf liquor for free - Herradurra, Don Julio, Stoli, Aboslute, Johnny Walker, etc (no additional charge)
service from everyone - pool staff, bartenders, waiters/waitresses was fantastic. Yes, we brought some US $ and tipped, but only after the service. I recommend tipping, not to get better service, but because the staff is wonderful
Decent gym (not huge, but decent)

Cons:
check in process can be long, especially if you arrive behind/with a group. Not a great start, but once you check in, heaven
Wifi is additional charge and inconsistent throughout the resort. Worked great in my room, but spotty by the pool, etc.
I would have loved more (any) TVs outside to watch the World Cup instead of only in the lobby bar
more accessible snack bars by the pool

Overall, the hotel was great. I can not understand some of the negative reviews. I stay at 5 star hotels for business on a regular basis and have traveled extensively in the US and overseas...I am not sure what folks are expecting from an all inclusive resort, but the Barcelo Maya Palace far exceeded my expectations. We were a group of 16 - eight adults and eight children and everyone loved the hotel and overall experience.

I recommend this hotel and would love to go back.

Room Tip: the resort is big and there can be a lot of walking if you are in a building far away from the lobby...
4 Thank eric306
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Mr. Eric.

I have carefully read all your comments and first of all I want to thanks the time you took to write all your good experience that you and your family lived, it is flattering to know you had a wonderful holiday.

Absolutely we have great facilities where all our guests enjoy a lot of them, like a beach more than a mile long with different areas with soft sand, rocks to snorkel and swim with great fish and turtles, large pools for adults and children with slides, a large variety of restaurants and bars, etc..

It is noteworthy that such comments greatly encourage all staff makes every effort to obtain the satisfaction of all our guests.

It is important for us to know your feedback thanks to them makes us constantly improve
In relation to the check in process can be long and the wifi we are working in them to improve our services.

Thank you in advance for choosing us and I hope in the near future give us the opportunity to visit us again.

Best regards.

Barcelo Maya Palace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,230)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

On arrival this hotel looks the part as the grounds are lovely and well kept, however the rooms are in need of an upgrade, the reception staff only speak English when it suits them and the unlimited all inclusive is a sham. The all inclusive mini bar in the room only contains soft drinks and only one of each and is tepid in temperature at best. The air conditioning never went below 24 which is warmer than I have my heating in the winter and despite asking to have it looked at this was ignored. Wifi is chareable per day and is not worth it, the serving staff are looking for tips constantly and was a very disappointingly expensive expereince.

Room Tip: there isn't one
3 Thank Alison B
Dear Guest

I am very sorry you had a bad impression of our service, so I offer you a sincere apology.

I have carefully read each of your comments and I'm sorry you had some problems during your stay, sometimes if we had known we would have taken care of quickly.

I hope you give us an opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Yours sincerely

Armando M. Becerra
Monterrey, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

This is a huge hotel complex in one of the best beaches in the Riviera Maya... Unfortunately, the experience is not great... Just to begin, the best beach in on the cheapest hotel out of five, so if you want to stay in the premium hotel, you will need to walk a lot (or take the very rudimentary and slow inter-hotel transportation). Of course, if you walk to the cheapest hotel with the best beach, you will only get the lowest quality drinks and food, so it is a waste to pay the top hotel fare... Also, worth to note that the drink selection in bars is very poor... Just to give an example, there is only one beer brand, and it is perhaps the worst!!! (The most popular Mexican beer in the USA), so forget it if you are seeking for good quality beers (the same applies to tequilas, scotch, etc.)... Also, is is frustrating the system of cards/tokens that you exchange for towels, be sure not to loose them or you will be charged... On the very few positives, the a la carte dinner restarurants are great, be sure to make your reservation in advance...

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank algarcia78
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest Garcia

I appreciate you taking the time to send us your comments and I offer a sincere apology for bad impression you had of our services.

I regret that you had not liked the drinks at the others hotels, the along the beach and about the towel cards, is a system that makes it much easier the towel service for most of our guests.

I hope you give us an opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Yours sincerely

Armando M. Becerra
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Beach was alright, resort was alright, pools were alright, food was alright. Nothing special, will not come back, will not recommend.
The check-in process was a pain, took forever. There is no wi-fi available in the resort you have to purchase it separately and it only works in the room and in the lobby. Only one device can use wi-fi at a time. You need to log out of one device before the other one can sign in.
Room service is 11am-11pm and is not included in the cost of the stay.
There is also a towel policy, you receive a card and you have to bring the card to a stand where they will give you a towel and in the end of the day you have to return it and receive the card back.
Also throughout our stay we received few dirty towels. When we checked in there were traces of sunblock all over the room so it was not cleaned very well.
So its just one big pain!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Olesya S
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear OlesyaS.

We have read your comments and consider important to mention some points:

Normally the check in process is fast, possibly there was some unexpected situation.

Wireless has coverage in the lobby, rooms and buffets, this service has an additional fee as shown on our website.

Regarding towel card use, usually have no problems with this procedure.

Please accept an apology for any incident caused during your stay.

Cordially,

Guest Service
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Arrived into cancun airport from ORD with my wife and 2 kids (4 and 6 year olds). Airport was very busy and long lines but went much faster than US immigration. We had transport prearranged with apple vacations. Waited about 45 minutes for the bus to get us. But no worries. We were on vacation. Was about 1 hour to hotel. No stops. On way back to airport we did stop 5 times. Busses very comfy. Wish airlines had that type of seating!

Arrived around 3p. Front desk was very attentive and very friendly. I spoke some Spanish and conversed with staff entire time. It is a long and manual process and rooms are preassigned. We also got purple wrist bands which meant no towel cards (yay)! Room was michoacan 8100 series 3rd floor. Rooms not ready till 4:30p which was fine. Go eat and explore the resort! We had champagne and cake waiting as it was our 13 year anniversary! Beds were horrible as all reviews stated and no padding avail for entire stay. Did we care? No! We were on vacation! Why worry about the little things! Housekeeping was impeccable. They recd tip daily. We had small ocean view but never were in room aside from changing, showering and sleeping. We wd never upgrade nor do club premium. Not worth it.

Restaurants
Only the 4 restaurants were available at palace for us. And u cd only book 3 nights in advance. Had to go back to book other nights. All times were available. Rodizio and brasserie were our favorite with service at these 2 above the others. Caribe was good but Tokyo was bad - food and service alike. Buffet stations were amazing. So much to choose from and some nights had grilled lobster! Nothing was recycled like some crazy doctor claimed. We even drank non bottled water and not 1 of us got sick. But we travel a lot so we not recommend to anyone. Service at buffets was impeccable. Try don Julio reposado tequila. And Mexican hot chocolate! Very good.

Pools were phenomenal. The adult pool was so quiet and peaceful but no shade. We had to play towel game at 7:30 - 8 in mornings or u did not get shaded areas. There were tons of loungers available just not all shaded. Some days we did beach and there was always chairs anywhere or u could move them where u wanted. Beach by palace was IMHO far superior than others. Hardly any waves, tons of fish, lots of openings with no rocks, and sand amazingly soft.

Barcy Club. Kids loved it. They made many friends from everywhere. They loved the mini disco nights where they get to play on the stage of the Monte Alban theatre and win prizes. the water park was awesome. Probably the fave for the little ones in addition to letting them order their own non-alcoholic drinks! Sometimes stayed till 10 pm with their friends! Kids also loved the tractor ride to all hotels and seeing iguanas, moths, deer, agoutis and birds. Leaving the kids at barcy club for dinner also gives parents a huge break to eat dinner peacefully and quietly while kids have dinner and fun with their friends!

This was one of our best vacations and the service, staff and setting is what make this place stand out from other hotels. It was a most enjoyable and relaxing vacation. Cannot wait to be back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Magewaver11
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Megewaver11,

Our main goal is that all our guests have a pleasant stay and a happy return home, we are pleased to know that you enjoyed your holiday.

Have a nice day and look forward to serving you soon.

Kindest regards,

Pleasant Grove, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed June 3-10. This was our first time at an all inclusive resort and our first time in Mexico.

My family--my parents (age 48,50), me and my husband and our 1 year old, and 5 siblings aged 23-13. We stayed in 3 rooms and we were able to get two of them together with a door in between that connected us. I was very adamant about getting at least two of the rooms next to each other so I could put my baby to sleep and use a video monitor to watch him in the next room. We couldn't be guaranteed a room next to each other, but when we checked in it wasn't a problem at all. I just wish all 3 rooms could have been right next to each other.

The rooms were great! Very large and very clean. We got a crib for the baby and I put it behind the blackout curtain by the balcony so he would sleep longer. I also put the little video monitor under this curtain so we could watch him. The video monitor plan worked perfectly.

The rooms were all tile, which got really slippery when wet. I slipped one time and bruised my knee pretty good. The one complaint about the room is the beds--they were really uncomfortable for several reasons. We asked them to put a pillow topper on them, and they did. They keep the pillow toppers under the mattress! So they are super lumpy. The other reason is it is super humid in the rooms. The AC runs really well, but nothing is going to dry in that room (we had to put swimsuits on the balcony if we wanted them to dry). The blankets on the bed don't breath at all, so the sheets were literally wet and we pretty much sweated all night. Luckily we had two beds in our room, so me and my husband slept separately. But we would have rather slept comfortably in one bed. My parents had a king bed and didn't have any complaints about that.

The resort itself is amazingly well kept. I hardly saw any bugs or trash or dirt. Nearly all the workers are really nice and friendly, although most didn't speak English super well. The rooms were pretty close to the pool area. The pool, beach, and restaurants are all very close to each other. The pools were huge and awesome! The kid pool was very fun, but a little too deep for my one year old to crawl around in. There were always lots of open chairs on the beach. We were able to rent snorkeling gear, kayaks, paddle boats, and catamarans, and a volleyball without a problem. My husband won a ping pong tournament and got a free t shirt.

Also the resort was very stroller friendly.

My dad swam with dolphins at Dolphinaris and it was so fun to watch him! He loved it.There was a place off the pier where you could jump in with a bunch of fish, but one of them bit me, so that was kind of scary.

The food at the restaurants was quite good, especially the Japanese restaurant. The French one had some good things too, and the Brazilian one was pretty good. I didn't love the seafood one (Caribe) but I don't really like seafood. The buffets were ok--we only ended up going for breakfast and I would only end up eating a croissant and some hot chocolate and maybe some eggs. There was a wide selection of "international" food, so a lot of weird stuff. And we saw them setting out the food hours before the meal would be open, so that explained why everything at the buffet was pretty stale and cold. The grills by the pool were also pretty ok. There were a few good things, like guacamole and chips. I never saw any peanut butter or cheddar cheese.

We don't drink alcohol, but we loved the free drinks! We got a lot of virgin Chocolate Mudslides (I kept getting asked, you know that's just frozen chocolate milk, right? Yes, I know). They didn't have rootbeer.

The forcast said 100% chance of rain everyday, but I never saw it rain once! It was overcast for the first few days, but still very hot and humid. I didn't mind a screen from the sun :)

It was such a fantastic vacation that my dad said he shed a few tears when we had to leave.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nbarber08
Dear nbarber08,

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe appreciates the time that you have taken to share your comments with us. It would be a pleasure to have the honor to serve you and your family again, delicious mudslides are waiting for you in this paradise!

Best regards,

Customer Service
Barceló Maya Beach Resort
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

A little late on review stayed April 27 to May 4. Changed room to ocean view on second day as was closer to restaurants lobby etc. the premium lounge was nothing special compared to other hotels. The buffet was average but the a la cartes were excellent. Loved the way all the restaurants had ocean views. Was there for a wedding and found the wedding coordinator Xhail was amazing and went above and beyond to make the day special. There was a cocktail hour on a beautiful roof top lounge that was a beautiful and unique spot. Thank you Xhail you are amazing
Went to look at the new lobby in the maya section it is really different and has a real wow factor. I would recommend the Palace if you don't mind walking

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank deepwaterqueen
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear deepwaterqueen,

We are glad you enjoyed your room, the restaurants a la cart and especially the service that Ms. Xhail provided during the organization of the wedding.

Cordially,

Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#39 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,267 reviews
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!