“Gorgeous Resort with Great Staff”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
San Francisco, California
“Gorgeous Resort with Great Staff”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at this resort on a couple occasions and really enjoy our time here. We are looking forward to going back again soon!

Pros:
Gorgeous property, upon arrival you are taken back with how beautiful everything is, the grounds are meticulously maintained and everything is in view of the ocean. You can be sitting at the pool and have the ocean within sight so it's the best of both worlds.
Staff is hard working and friendly, we have had great service from all the servers at the pool, bar, and restaurants. You can tell they all work extremely hard, and they staff to guest ration seems very high.
Drinks, they have premium liqueur at all the palace bars and restaurants, not top shelf but for an all inclusive it is great. Also regarding drinks, there is bottled water available everywhere at the resort so it's easy to stay hydrated. They also have a few bottles of water and some beers in your mini bar fridge, both replenished each day.
Food, the food here is pretty good, the most important part of the buffet is that there is variety so you don't feel like you are eating the same thing everyday. The formal restaurants at the palace are also good, the French restaurant is excellent! Try the surf and turf along with the French onion soup.
Rooms, they are big and have a good sized bathroom. They are showing their age a little bit compared to when new but overall still in great shape.

Cons:
We have encountered a few staff members that we're not as friendly as the others but we are able to brush it off.
The bed in the room is hard but we have heard that's common in Mexico. Try to request a room near the front, rooms in the back section can be a hike.
The resort complex is huge, the palace is manageable but it may take a few days to get familiar with the other properties and getting around. It can be a lot of walking, but we actually enjoy that!

Overall it's a great resort and for the money has really impressed us!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tdogg5184
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear tdogg 5184,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and preference; please consider us as your second home away from home, our staff will always be happy to assist you.

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,283)
  • Polish first
Newcastle, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I read A LOT of TripAdvisor reviews before our stay here. We had a smooth check-in & check-out process. The view upon check-in is specular. We stayed three to a Jr Suite (2 kids ages 14& 17). We were surprised to find two full sized beds, not queen sized. We did not experience rock hard mattresses, we slept comfortably. Our rooms were located in the middle of Oaxaca and we had rooms next door to each other. Will warn you be ready to walk to the pool, the beach, the restaurants, everywhere! But it's beautiful scenery while walking. Why I did not know the following, the bathroom is equipped with shampoo, conditioner & body soap dispensers, so don't pack it if you don't have to! I would suggest you buy your own snorkeling gear, Barcelo's one hour rental won't be long enough! We packed a bottle of spray sunscreen per day, this is one thing I would pack more of! Better safe than sorry!!
We booked an excursion to Xel-ha and enjoyed every minute of it (&the food at Chula Vista was delicious!). We booked it thru Lomas Travel (downstairs on the bottom level). And it was cheaper than booking it thru Barcelo's.
This was our first time to this resort and would most definitely return!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Candi W
Dear Ms. Candi W.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay from the time of check in due to the beautiful view of the lobby as well as your room.

Best regards from Riviera Maya,

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at Maya Palace Deluxe for a friend’s wedding. It was an excellent stay and we had a very relaxing week of All-Inclusive indulgence. This Barcelo property is HUGE. There are 5 'resort' properties in the complex (Maya Palace Deluxe, Maya Beach, Maya Tropical, Maya Colonial, and Maya Caribe). If you stay at Palace Deluxe, you can go to any restaurant at the other properties. If you stay at the other properties, you have to pay extra to eat at Palace Deluxe [The wrist bands give you access]. All have great pools, activities, and share the same 1 mile plus of white, sugar sand beach. There is a tractor shuttle that picks up/drops off over the entire property.

The restaurants at Palace Deluxe were great. There are 2 buffets which have a tremendous variety of food and drink. One Friday dinner, they had the biggest lobsters I had ever seen ready to be grilled for you. The buffets each have hot/made-to-order stations like pasta, steaks & burgers, seafood, crepes, omelets in the morning. There was always something new each day and it was all delicious. Palace Deluxe also has premium, sit-down dining options that are included but you have to make reservations in advance. These consist of Italian, French, Caribbean (seafood), and Brazilian (steak). As I said, you can also visit restaurants at other properties if staying at Palace Deluxe.

The room buildings are set up perpendicular to the beach (obviously beach-front is limited). We booked a 'regular' room and it was probably a 10 minute walk from the beach (I needed the exercise after all the food anyway!). We upgraded to a beach-front half-way through the trip. The room was identical, but had ocean view and was close to everything- I felt it was worth it. With the upgrade, we were Club Premium members which included a special ID wristband and: top shelf alcohol, free room service, WiFi, discounts at the many shops, and the concierge club (computers, printers, special reservations, etc.).

The bartenders at the pools were great. After the second day, most of them remembered what you would order or recommend something to try. Very friendly and liberal with the spirits. I don't know how much alcohol they go through but I'm investing in liquor stocks now. The beaches were clean and raked every morning. Lots of lounges abound along with sunny and shady areas of beach.

My only real complaint was the shuttle from the airport that I purchased through the resort website- I assumed it would be a dedicated service to and from Palace Deluxe. No. It was with one of the many shuttles from the airport who would stop at resorts along the way to drop off people. Our stop was the last and I was car sick by the time we arrived about 2 hours later. After that, everything was great AT the resort.

TIPS: ***Book off the Barceló Resort website! Check back too- I booked refundable and 2 months later, it was $400 cheaper! They have sales and specials all the time. ***Hold off buying spa treatments, etc until you are there. Once you check in you will get a COUPON BOOK for just about everything. $10 off this and that. Nice!

Room Tip: The buildings are perpendicular to the beach; upon check-in, ask for one close as possible. Uprade...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank JT_Turner3
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Mr. JT Turner.

I have carefully read all your comments and first of all I want to thanks the time you took to write all your good experience that you lived, it is flattering to know you had a wonderful holiday.

Absolutely we have great facilities where all our guests enjoy a lot of them, like a beach more than a mile long with different areas with soft sand, rocks to snorkel and swim with great fish and turtles, large pools for adults and children with slides, a large variety of restaurants and bars, etc.
It is noteworthy that such comments greatly encourage all staff makes every effort to obtain the satisfaction of all our guests.

Thank you in advance for choosing us and I hope in the near future give us the opportunity to visit us again.

Best regards.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

First arrived room we paid for was Ocean Front with 2 beds, they gave us pool front, 1 bed and 2 roll aways. Complained they said we can't change they were fully occupied. 2nd day septic smell from room complained and had maintenance come and spray something! 3 day septic smell became worse. I was very furious and they finally upgraded me to the presidential suite was great till the 6 day more septic smell. Not recommend to stay at resort. Buffet is nothing but 5 star, more like 2 star other restaurants were much better and service was great. Room service took 35 minutes to bring you buffet food that was down stairs. They do not have good customer relations .

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank ARA M
Dear Mrs. Ara F.

I am very sorry you had a bad impression of our service, so I offer you a sincere apology.

I regret that you haven't not liked the rooms, the meals, the room service and the service in general, It is important for us to know your feedback thanks to them makes us constantly improve.

I hope you give us an opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Yours sincerely

Holliston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Justo returned from a stay with my family - two kids, 12 and 15. We had a great stay! The resort is wonderful! Beautiful beach- breezy and clean and always a place to sit. The room was spacious and kept clean well stocked. The staff were all extremely FRIENDLY and helpful. Had read complaints about hard beds and refrigerators not being cold enough. It is true that the mattresses are hard but this was not an issue for me. As far as the cold refrigerator - I think Americans like their drinks cold and Mexicans are different! We could not get a cold beer anywhere! These are minor. We would definitely return to this resort and others run by this company in other locations!

Room Tip: Request a room close to lobby!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Fran F
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Fran F,

Achieve the satisfaction of each of our guests gives joy to each of the people who are part of this Hotel: thank you very much for your comments which are shared with our work team with the purpose to be better every day.

As an additional comment I would just like to clarify that the mini bars work correctly, reaching a standard temperature to keep cool products.

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe would be grateful to have the opportunity to host your family in the future.

Kindest regards,

DC
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Just had a great weekend getaway at this resort to celebrate my birthday. When you pull up you are greeted and welcomed and the lobby is absolutely gorgeous. You receive your welcome drink get checked in and have access to all sorts of great amenities.

At the Maya Palace deluxe you have access to all the resorts and connect to them all by either a walk down the beach or the free shuttle within the resort.

I'd suggest making dinner reservations for your duration as soon as you arrive, You can always reschedule later but I'd definitely lock something in. The food in the restaurants were pretty decent. Reminds me of cruise ship environment. Not stellar but not bad either. I will say the Rodizio steak house was my favorite restaurant in the resort.

The pool areas were nice, but crowded and it was great to also have an adults only pool to retreat to.

My friends and I also had a massage scheduled and got them done in the gazebo next to the adult pool. It was peaceful and great to get massaged outdoors.

One tip I will suggest is if you want a great spot near the pool get up early. It's not so bad on the beach but the pool spots fill up fast also it's a great time to have quiet before all the families come out.

The rooms were spacious there was a little bit of a mold situation on the curtains due to the moisture in the air. But other than that it was a very nice room and spaciously accommodated 3 of us, Also loved the rain shower in the bathroom.

Two things the resort is HUGE. So be prepared to walk especially if they place you in one of the outer buildings like Oaxaca. Also be prepared to pay for wifi which I'm not used to doing at resorts/hotels.

I'd consider returning at some point if I'm in the area. It's definitely more family oriented than for the singles and I think 4 days was just enough for me there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelingButterflyy
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Guest.

On behalf of all the staff I would like to thank you for the time you took to write these comments.

About our facilities, we are honored to know that we could make your stay a memorable moment, and we hope you can be like came back to this hotel.

Thank you for contacting us through our social media.

Best regards.

Toronto
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed the first week of June. Beach was beautiful. Grounds were very tropical and excellently maintained. Rooms were clean and modern. The only complaint was the front desk. Very rude and not accommodating at all. The restaurant staff was excellent as well as house keeping staff. It is an excellent hotel for small children and older people alike.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Monica R
Dear Monica R,

We acknowledge receipt of your comments and please be assured that this information help us to take actions and be better every day.

Cordially,

Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#3 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!