“Family Vacation in paradise”

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We just got back from a week long celebration at the Palace Deluxe in Riviera Maya. We were with my extended family celebrating my parents 50th wedding anniversary. It was a perfect hotel for us. The facilities were wonderful! Rooms were gorgeous (beds too hard but didn't ruin the nite), pools fabulous, beach great. Water parks were great for my young nieces and nephew!The facilities are kept immaculate and there are always workers out updating something to make your stay even better.
However the reason I didn't give the review a 5 is because the hotel management staff was not great at all. Check in was horrible, it is long and tedious and when we went back to get our keys when the rooms were supposed to be ready they still weren't ready, and the key machine was broken so they couldn't make up our keys. We were hot and wanted to get changed and after waiting 2 hours we were losing patience.
The wifi was awful as you could only get it in the lobby and room and even there you were knocked off a lot. If it were a free amenity than I don't think I would mention this but for $200 for the week for a family of 4 I would have liked to have better service.
Restaurants were ok. Steak house was great but the seafood and Italian are just ok. Also hard to sit together as a large group as a table for 8 is as large as they have. Some restaurants accommodated for us and moved tables but the Italian did not so we had to split up.
Also I sent 3 reminders to the hotel about the anniversary celebration and 2 birthday's before we came and they didn't write it anywhere, I had to go and sit with guest services to make sure they did something. They do though-a bottle of champagne and a pretty cake. They just deliver very late-would be nice to get before you go out to dinner.
Lastly on the cons-the activity director was terrible. He did nothing to get us involved in activities. It would have been nice to have him encourage activities at the pool.
The trip and hotel were wonderful. I would go back! We had a great time-just a few management issues that could be improved upon.

1  Thank Jodibv
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Jodidv,

Thank you very much for choosing us to celebrate the 50th anniversary of their parents, we are pleased to know that your stay was pleasant ; we generally have very good comments of the service, however we will continue working to improve the mentioned issues. It will be a pleasure to assit you once again and show the quality of our services.

There are newer reviews for Barcelo Maya Palace

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We returned from a two-week stay at the Barcelo Maya Palace. I wanted to share my experiences in hopes that it may be helpful to someone deciding on their vacation plans. We stayed from 06/11/14-06/25/14.

This was our first trip to an all-inclusive and first trip to Mexico. The comparable experience for us would be three cruises we’ve taken on various liners with our three daughters. One of the big let-downs at the Barcelo was the food. This includes the quality as well as the variety in both the buffets and the specialty restaurants. Since I don’t have another all-inclusive to compare to, I’m really comparing to cruises, and there’s really no comparison there. Cruise food we’ve had on 3 separate occasions is far superior to anything we got at the Barcelo. I voiced this in another post and was met with at least 4 responses indicating why this is so and how the Barcelo couldn’t possibly do any better of a job – this from people who seem to have intimate knowledge of the workings of the Barcelo kitchen and how/when they prepare food. Look I don’t know about any of that, I’m just saying that the buffets (there’s really only one although it is in two separate rooms that connect, so when you read that they have two don’t be confused), really has the same food day after day and night after night with maybe one small section that varies from day to day. The quality of food is comparable to Country Buffet if you have those where you live. Let me say that my family is not picky nor are we gourmets; we can find a good meal at any chain restaurant around (Applebee’s, Chili’s, etc.), but with few exceptions no one liked the food here. Although we weren’t planning on doing the speciality restaurants more than a few times, due to the quality of the buffets we did so more than planned. Again, there were some things that were good but honestly no one really wanted to eat that food either and it was kind of a struggle to find something that everyone wanted to eat. This was a big disappointment for us as we are not big drinkers so we really were looking forward to having some good food while on vacation. While the Barcelo may be very good compared to other all-inclusives, if you compare it to cruise food that we’ve had, it is very lacking. The second big complaint we had is that the website advertises a “teen club.” This is still advertised on their website: “At the Teen Club teens will find their own space to have fun with the latest new games. We also offer pool, video-games and the best music.” When I asked about this, I was told that they don’t have this. Period, no other explanation. Since there are hundreds of all-inclusives in Mexico to choose from, this was one of the things we absolutely had to have and would have ruled out the Barcelo if we’d known they didn’t have one. They’re still advertising it as of today on their website so if this is important to you, know that it doesn’t exist. Bringing me to my third complaint that there’s not a lot to do here especially at night. There’s the nightly 45-minute show which sometimes is okay (circus) and sometimes is really cheesy. Without a teen club and with the pool and one buffet closing at 10, nothing to do at night. Again, I know I keep comparing to a cruise but there’s always something going on, a good show (different ones, comedian, magician, etc.). Here nada. Also, there’s not a lot going on in the form of group activities during the day (they have a schedule of activities on a board by the pool, but often the activities listed would not happen.)

A side note that has nothing to do with the Barcelo per se but good to know if you’re planning a trip is that the location is pretty far from Cancun so if you’re planning on visiting many places outside the resort you need to plan on cab fare which isn’t cheep. A good thing to know if you’re traveling with a family of 5 is that cabs technically only hold 4, so if you have that one extra person, your cab fare doubles. Cab fare to Wet-n-Wild was over $100 each way for us, so we opted not to go. Note though that if you hike to the highway and flag down a cab, sometimes you can get a driver to take 5 of you in a car and therefore pay 1/2 the fare (we asked several drivers about picking us up at the hotel and doing this, and they all indicated that they couldn’t do this from the hotel lobby). Not sure what’s going on there.

Another note, when we got to the Barcelo we were given a room in the O building; the AC didn’t work well so we were able to move rooms – they said they were having issues in that building so moved us to the M building (rooms far from the pool/beach which was fine. The next morning, they called and said they had two rooms that were adjoining (which we had originally requested) close to the pool/beach. They really didn’t have to move us as we were getting what we paid for, so it was nice that they offered that and made the effort. We did end up moving and were happy with our rooms for the rest of the stay. They also gave us wifi for the length of our stay for the inconvenience of having to switch rooms twice (note once was at 11:00 p.m. after we had already unpacked everything, and we had to haul our own luggage to the next building.), so that, I thought, was a reasonable accommodation.

One of the complaints I read about was the check-in/out process taking a long time. Our check-in took about 10-15 minutes and ran very smoothly, so maybe this issue has been fixed. Check-out took about 10 minutes and was very seamless and straightforward.

Okay, the good things. While not picky about food, I’m definitely picky about a room (specifically the cleanliness). I observed the maids cleaning rooms, and they always seemed to do a very thorough job. We had two rooms for 14 days, and our rooms were always cleaned well and always appeared to be clean. Everything was replenished appropriately, and we also never had any issues with this. I’ve heard complaints about a musty smell, etc. This is kind of true only because it is so humid, not sure there’s really anything that they can do about that. Yes, the beds are hard. We had them put the feather topper on, and it did help. We had 3 girls in the second room, one each in a double bed and one in one of the couches made into a bed, and everyone slept well. The rooms themselves were nice and appeared relatively new and kept up.

The hotel itself is also very clean and well cared for. Never noticed any trash anywhere ever. The grounds, beach, pool, restaurants, common areas were all very well kept and clean.

Since we had 5 in our party, it was sometimes hard to find 5 chairs together at the pool which is understandable. We did start putting towels down before going to breakfast like others were doing and never had a problem. The pool area, both in the pool and around in the chairs, NEVER felt crowded – unlike a cruise ship where you’re kind of packed in like sardines and it’s even hard to move in and out of your chair. The beach area was even less crowded and we could always find chairs there without ever saving them. The beach itself is beautiful for sure.

Everyone at the Barcelo (employees) were very friendly. Even people that you might pass walking would greet you and be very friendly. We found almost everyone to speak very good English making it easy to communicate and get information.

Room Tip: Oxcana bldg. as of 06/14 was having AC trouble.
7  Thank lb20142014

Dear lb20142014,

We have read all your comments and we thank you for sharing your point of view with us. We assure you that we will continue working in order that all our guests have a pleasant stay; please accept an apology for any inconvenience during your stay.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Executive Summary: Excellent location, good service, good maintenance, good restaurants, poor management.

The experience on the hotel started not so well: Arrived between the checkout-checking gap, when dropped off from transport saw a sea of luggage and people in front of the hotel.
At the front desk, got the information that my room would not be available before check in time, but I would be able to lunch and stay at the bars. So far so good.
At check in time, headed back to front desk and the room was available (Good). Got a little map with minimal instructions and directions and a X where my room was. It was like going for a treasure hunt, wearing jeans hot and humid weather trying to find the building with that "Pocket map". After a few minutes walking under sunny sky, found a bar close to the pools and got more information about my building where my room was. After some more misleading paths, finally got into my room. Yeah!
Nice Bathroom, 2 double beds, sleeping sofas... Beds had very bad mattress. Had back pain every single day after wake up... AC would keep cooling even below set temperature and there was something else in the air since my son had bad coughing after entering the room and He was OK when on the beach and on the pools. The minibar was a joke in both rooms and we always needed to get ice from ice machine to get the drinks cooler.

During the check in, because of the "Club Premium" we did dinner reservation for 2 or 3 days in advance.
Besides the Brazilian restaurant, I will talk about it a bit, all the other had good/above average food.
Talking about the a la cart restaurants:
-General comments: I do understand that hotel wants to keep good atmosphere, avoiding people to go for dinner with beach cloths or wet (since it's a huge resort), but I did not like to wear paints when it was very hot and humid. When inside the restaurants, the AC was helping a little (excluding Tokyo restaurant that does not have AC), but the restaurants are kind of 10 minutes walking from my room, and so this wasn't a pleasant walk, including that we have small kids and usually they were so tired at the end of the day that they were sleeping during this walk...
The reservation to get into those restaurants was also tense moment, even with the priority reservation, it was most of the time available at not ideal times and not in all restaurants. Seems that the restaurants are not enough for all the people in the hotel.

- French and Caribean: Food was Excelent, waiters very good and pleasant to help.
- Tokyo: Good food (I'm not Japanese food maniac, so don't consider it as truth), service little lost, but always available for helping, NO AC!!!!
- Brazilian: My biggest disappointment. Originally from Brazil and living in Texas, I'm used to All-you-can-eat-Brazilian-buffets or, for someone closer, Rodizio. If they did not call it Brazilian Rodizio, I would understand, but since they added, I was expecting something better. When we do a barbecue in Brazil we don't add any seasoning to the meet besides coarse salt, the beef taste is good enough to be the best meet you ever ate. Here in Texas is the same way, for the seasoning people they add some sauces on table or have special cuts that were seasoned and can be served under request. But on the hotel it was different. The Rodizio plate (which they bring a little of each meat cut was seasoned, wrong meat temperatures, waiter wasn't prepared to slice the meet from skewer. Not good experience for someone that knows how it is done.

The beach was amazing with plenty of chairs for everyone, but, in the other hand, getting a chair on covered area on the pool was practically impossible.The Hotel has signs along the pools saying that chairs should not be reserved, but this does not happen. People start dropping towels at the chairs before the pool gets open, 15 min before the pool is open (7:45 am) all the shaded chairs are reserved with towels and personal items but no one around or seated. Since I wasn't there for trouble but for fun, I did not want to mess with someone items, even understanding that it was my right to get my kids seated for cooling. We stayed at the beach most of the time. Only on the last day, I decided to make use of pool then I waked up very early and seated (not reserved) on the chairs with the family before the pool was open. We went for breakfast and lunch alternately so we did not loose the chairs and the day was perfect. I wish I had done it more times... So this is the main reason why I put on top of my review that hotel has poor management. They know it happens because they have the signs there, but that is all. During 7 days I did not see anyone doing something to stop it.

The extra services were little salty in price and I did not make use of it: Example: Swimming with the dolphins was USD 82 per person + extra money for pictures (USD 20 each if I recall correctly). 30 Min of Massage on SPA for 2 with discount USD 152... I decided to use what was already included...

Otherwise the Hotel/Resort is so big, that most of the time you don't know everything you can do that is included and again is difficult to find it out. For example, my son saw the bowling pins but we could not find the ball to play... The information is not available unless you contact someone to get it. Again Management has to see it and improve.

The "Club Premium" guests have concierge desks on most of the buildings, but on the 7 days that I was there, I was only able to find a person working on those desks once. One day my key room stopped working and I decided to go to those concierges instead of waiting for security, Tried the desk on my building and on the next building and nobody was there. It was very frustrating.

On my next trip to Cancun/Riviera, I still don't know if I would go back to this big resort or would prefer some smaller hotel where you would have the feel of special guest, get room service in time (smaller distances) and have less stress with restaurant reservations and dressing code.

Room Tip: I payed extra for the Club Premium and did not get the hole idea of it. They were not able to explai...
3  Thank Leandro_r_s

Dear Mr.Leandro_r_s

We have carefully read your comments and we appreciate you refer to the positive and negative things; you can be assured that we are working to improve our service and exceed the expectations of all our guests.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My family (me, wife, 10 yr old, 7 yr old and Grandma) visited Barcelo Maya Palace the second half of June, 2014. This was our third trip to this resort, and we once again had a great time.

Check-In: We took private transport (USA Transfer) from the airport and had no line in front of us when we arrived to check-in. They were overbooked and offered to give my wife, myself and Grandma Club Premium wristbands for the entirety of our stay if Grandma could stay in our room for one night. We willingly agreed, and the next day Grandma got a Club Premium room at the front of the resort for the rest of our stay. Good deal for us!

Club Premium: We always buy the Club Premium wristbands on check-in, @$25/ day/ adult. The Club Premium room has its own concierges, snacks, a nice bar set up, juice, Internet access and so forth. The wrist bands supply free internet access in our rooms, unlimited towel service and other benefits. You also get unlimited reservations at the premium restaurants. We feel it is well worth the expense.

Room: Our family always stays in the Family Suite. These suites are (unfortunately) at the back of the two hotel wings, with a 5 minute (or so) walk to the front of the hotel (pools, beach, restaurants, etc.) The Family Suite has a front room with a half-bath, two twin beds, a couch and two easy chairs. There is a balcony, with two chairs, table and clothes-drying rack, off this room. The back room has a king-sized bed and an easy chair. The full bath, attached to the main bedroom, has a rain shower, a full bathtub with a hand-held shower, two sinks and a separate WC with toilet and bidet. The two rooms have separate climate controls. They also have ceiling fans. They have nice art work and appointments.

Food: The buffets are excellent and varied. Breakfast has a wide variety of breads, cheeses and fresh fruits, in addition to the usual eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc. My breakfasts were usually kiwi, mangoes, fresh rolls, smoked salmon and such. There are also a variety of juices.

Lunch and dinner are also varied. It is always possible to find something delicious and different. The "La Hacienda" buffet has a rotating menu of local Mexican food, usually featuring something beyond typical American "Mexican" food.

The specialties restaurants are also great. We ate at the Caribe (seafood), Rodizio (Brazillian/ meat) and Brasserie (French.) We also ate at the Kyoto (teppanyaki) at the Barcelo Maya Colonial Resort (same property, but a 10 minute walk.) The Kyoto chef did a nice job and was superior to the last California teppanyaki chef we experienced.

Activities: We sailed on the Hobie Cats and sea kayaks (included in the resort price.) For extra fees, we SCUBA dove, took trips to Akumel, Dos Ojos cenote, Tulum and Sein Kaan nature preserve. We enjoyed all the trips, and felt the prices were well worth it.

Beach: The beaches have great snorkeling, but the entries are rocky in places. The excellent snorkeling is because of the rocky reefs that extend from the shoreline in separate fingers. We saw turtles, stingrays and many different varieties of fish during our shoreline snorkels. The ocean was usually calm, as the beach is in its own little bay with an off-shore reef. The beaches are private, only accessible to visitors and staff of the resort, unlike resorts in the local towns. The beaches also have lifeguards, who are vigilant about ensuring no one swims outside the buoyed, designated areas.

Spa: My wife and I did the "Romantic Escape" spa package. The package started with a jacuzzi session, with sparkling wine, followed by a 1 hour massage. Very nice. Be sure to use your Resort Credit coupons.

We will without a doubt be back next year. Our three trips have all been wonderful.

2  Thank CHFletch
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear CHFletch,

Thank you very much for your loyalty. We are glad that you and your family enjoyed the front desk, rooms, club premium inclusions, restaurants, beach activities and the opportunity to have purchased a package at the spa using your coupons.

We look forward to serve you in a 4ta. occasion.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was a little nervous reading the bad reviews. I don't see how anyone can give this property less than 4 stars. The pools, the beach- all first class. Yes, the beds were hard and yes, there was a lot of walking but when you are walking in such a beautiful environment, it is very pleasant. My main piece of advice is- my son got sick right before we left. I thought he would get better but he didn't and we had an expensive visit to the doctor down there. I wish I had taken him to see our doctor right before we left. His illness had nothing to do with Mexico but the travel and the heat probably compounded things.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Burbot

Dear Burbot,

Unfortunately sometimes we have some negative comments that we do not understand, however receive such comments like yours encourages us to continue working hard to achieve make this hotel a wonderful experience for all our customers.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

At the beginning of March, we have bought with Expedia an all-inclusive week from June 18th until June 25th at the Barceló Palace Deluxe in Riviera Maya. We received all confirmations by email and our departure flight with Air Canada was schedule to leave from Montreal on June 18th @ 2:10pm. We have also paid extra CAD$150 to have direct flights in both ways. At the end of March, we received notification from Expedia that our return flight.
On June 18th we were at the Air Canada counter at 10:30 am to do our check in. To our surprise, we were told by the lady at the counter that our flight had left the day before (June 17th) and that there was no flight schedule to Cancun on June 18th.
I called Expedia Canada to check the reason why our flight was advanced by one day to June 17th when we clearly had a hotel reservation from June 18th and more important, to question how come nobody have had the delicacy to advise us. I was told by the Expedia Supervisor that this was an involuntary mistake from their side.
So finally, after two hours of waiting at the airport, we were told they could offer us to leave on June 19th via Houston to arrive Cancun on June 19th @ 11:00 pm. We had no choice but to take it, but this will mean losing two days of our week vacation. Not to mention the fact we paid extra and the end we had multiple stops on both flights?
On June 19th when we arrived at Houston airport we found our flight to Cancun had been delayed by three hours from 7:00pm to 10:00pm … yes another reason to be frustrated. Our kids were exhausted and we were all frustrated. We finally landed Cancun @ 1:00 am Friday June 20th. We only hoped the inland transportation company had been advised accordingly by Expedia and that we wouldn’t have to wait. Second surprise, they were never advised of our new arrival date and we were forced to wait one more hour. End result, we ended up checking in at the hotel on Friday June 20th @ 3:30 am. End result, we lost two and a half days of our one week vacation just for an involuntary mistake from Expedia.
In the other THE HOTEL was wonderful, superior service, friendly personal,. We are looking forward to going back again soon! Pros: Gorgeous property, upon arrival you are taken back with how beautiful everything is, the grounds are meticulously maintained and everything is in view of the ocean.

2  Thank Nicolas-Simon

Dear Nicolas-S,

It is gratifying to know that your stay at the hotel was very pleasant despite the external problem with your flight.

Greetings,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

It was wonderful experience. Excellent hotel, superior service, friendly personal, delicious food. I read several reviews before I went to Barcelo Palace. Some of them said there was hard and uncomfortable bedding. However, I found it to be very comfortable. I slept like a baby. Excellent beach: white sand all around. Close to a reef. If you like snorkeling, it is for you. I observed wide variety of colorful fish and met sea turtles every day. We had 2 garden view suits and I was pleased with quiet peacefulness of it, observed iguanas and birds from our balcony. I never saw our maid but our room was cleaned, minibar restocked every day. I like their pools: nice, clean, warm, very convenient working hours(up to 10:00 pm). I also enjoyed Barcelo's delphinarium. If you like walking, it is for you: long sandy beach and huge well maintained gardens. Overall, it is perfect vacation destination. I am very happy and highly recommend this place.

3  Thank andreyk255
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Ms. Andreyk255,

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe appreciates your comments and recommendation of this beautiful hotel. Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with other travelers.

Kind regards,

Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#72 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#73 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!