“Great family vacation! ”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We loved this resort! Our kids had a spectacular time. The check in process was very easy and did not take much time. I did tip the front desk girl $40 to try to get a room close to the beach and the pool, but this did not work. She apologized and said they were at full capacity and still took my tip. Our room was well in the back. She said we could change rooms in three days for our last two nights but could not guarantee anything.
Our air conditioner did not work very well. Make sure the back door is closed very well or the air will not come on. We were not told this and slept very poorly several nights! When we were finally told about the door, the ac still did not cool to our liking despite calling the front desk. The beds were about the worst beds in a hotel room that I have ever slept on! We thought the food was really good. I did have to wait 45 minutes upon arrival to make only 3 reservations for dinner at horrible times. A girl in line behind me told me she and her husband were able to just get in without reservations. That night we tried that at the French restaurant around 8:00 for 4 people and were able to walk right in when the reservation desk had said there were no reservations. We also walked into the Brazilian restaurant without reservations another night.
Take extra $1s to tip. The staff worked hard and appreciated it. The pools were huge. My son did not care for the Barcy club. Both my boys love swimming with the dolphins, but beware they will try to sell you pictures and a video afterward for $350. We were able to get it for $175, which was still too much, but I had had too many margaritas. We would go back to the resort, and hopefully, they can fix some things before we do.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank travelorfromtx
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Travelorfromtexas.

We have carefully read your comments and we are pleased to know you had a very enjoyable holiday in this place.

Regarding mattresses we have a program to change them and this will improve the rest of our guests.

I hope you give us an opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed at the barcelo 4 years running and love it to bits
The palace is so nice great location lovely grounds fantastic beach
The staff are so helpful and kind the food is great
In my eyes the best hotel in riviera maya

Room Tip: Just enjoy your holiday
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason L
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Jason L,

Thank you very much for your trust and your loyalty. We hope to host you once again in the future. Have a good day!!

Customer Service

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe from July 4 through July 8, 2014. Overall for the price we paid for our room with the summer discount I would definitely recommend the hotel thought there were a few negatives which is why I gave it a 4-star overall rating.

First the good: The hotel is an hours drive from the airport (I recommend a private transport) but is closer to Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. If you are interested in snorkeling, it is amazing right here at the north end of the beach. We also saw a sea turtle the first day we were out. This end of the beach is a little rocky but there are access points to the water between the rocky areas that are pure sand and allow easy access to the water. Our second floor balcony faced the trees/jungle behind us which was private and nice. I loved listening to the birds and wildlife in the morning. A/C worked almost too well and while the beds are NOT pillow top, my husband and I didn't find ours uncomfortable to sleep on - just different. The bathroom is huge and I love the two separate showers. The pools are spacious and beautiful though we spent little time there. There is also a very nice children's water play area. There are a variety of places to eat and if you stay in the Palace you have access to all the other resorts as well, though we didn't use them because of our short trip. We did make our a la carte reservations as soon as we arrived and had no difficulty booking the places we wanted though it seemed the premium times (i.e., 7-8:30pm) were already taken and we had to book for earlier times. Hotel check in took maybe 15 minutes as there was another couple ahead of us but nothing I consider unreasonable and check out took maybe 5 minutes. While there were a large number of European tourists who spoke other languages and Spanish is obviously the most common language, I had no difficulty navigating my way at the hotel being an English-only speaker.

The not-as-good: The food - this was my biggest disappointment about the resort. It's difficult to make a buffet upscale anywhere but there is room for improvement here. Of the two main ones, I'd recommend La Hacienda over Mirador. The former has some decent Mexican offerings that I enjoyed. I learned to avoid the Mirador. Coral Grill also was an acceptable place to eat midday. For a la carte's we ate at Caribe and Brasserie and of the two I was more impressed with the food and service at Caribe though nothing really stood out at either of them. Our room while very clean and well furnished was showing a few signs of wear - a leaking bathroom sink pipe (maintenance quickly fixed it), a closet door that had fallen off the track (we didn't use that closet and forgot to report it before we left), and a ceiling fan that could use a good dusting. Also, the complex is HUGE so if you do plan to visit other parts of the resort, bring walking shoes and allow plenty of time. Though we left our 4-year-old at home, I never saw many children playing at the Barcy Club. There were lots of families with children but were mostly at the beach or the pool. Finally, the reserving of pool and beach chairs with towels is alive and well and most of the premium pool spots were reserved by 9am (good thing we preferred the beach). Oh, one other thing - bring your own shampoo and conditioner. The hotel provides theirs in dispensers by the shower and the quality is very poor. I'd use a handful of conditioner and my hair was still a wreck.

To sum it up... Barceló Maya Palace is a fine hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if the opportunity arose. However, I'd plan some outings away from the hotel (i.e. take a cab or collectivo to Playa Del Carmen) so that I wasn't stuck eating their food the entire time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank disneylover65
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear disneylover65,

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay especially the snorkeling, as the beach of the resort is very nice with more than 2 km. where our customers can find attractive areas to walk over white sand, swim in areas without rocks or snorkel in rocky areas or reefs.

Moreover, we regret that the food was not to your liking; normally we receive very good comments as we have a variety of food in the salads bar, pastas, meats, seafood, fruits, desserts, etc. however we continue to strive to achieve the satisfaction of all our guests.
Thank you very much for your feedback, we hope to have the opportunity to assist you once again.

Best regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We are a family of four and we stayed at the Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe for a week. Everything was perfect. The food was all you can eat. During the specific hours for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the buffet and the food was very good and there was something for everybody. Also, i expected the snack bar to be literally snacks; the snack bar was a smaller buffet with plenty of food for everyone. There are also four restaurants that you have to make a reservation for. For the restaurant Tokyo my family did not go to because it did not have its own restaurant place, instead it was the area were the snack bar was. However, the other fancy restaurants where Caribbean which was all very fancy seafood, Rodizio which was steak and pasta, and Barsserie which was a French restaurant. If you want to attend any restaurant other then buffets then you must have a reservation, you must be dressed very fancy, and no shorts for men. The bars where very good. There were bars outside of restaurants, in the lobby, outside, and swim up bars. If you like to drink a lot of alcohol then this is your place to go. For underage people, the bar tenders can make the same drinks as they usually do just with no alcohol. I recommend the mudslide, bahama mama, mango, and mango tango. The check in wasn't as terrible as everybody said it was. I did have to wait an extra hour to check in and get my room, but at least I got to explore the resort and get something to eat. I had a junior sweet as my room and it was just enough. I had two queen beds, an extra room with two couches, and a balcony. The bathrooms are very nice. Overall the room was very clean and as a little bonus the refrigerator was filled with snacks and drinks in the room. The pools were amazing and huge. There was so much to swim, water fountains, built in mattresses, and a swim up bar. There also was a pool with slides and other attractions for little kids. The beach was so close to the hotel, literally only a few steps away. The water was crystal clear a warm. I recommend going to the pier and jumping off of it to got swim with fish there, but also there was a lot of fish by the coral right where people normally swim. I do recommending having an underwater camera with you because who doesn't want to take a selfie with fish in the ocean. You like to go the club, there was club jaguar. When you first get there at the front desk they give you a colored wrist band which shows that you can go and walk all over all the other Bracelo resorts and the people that stay in the other resorts beside Deluxe can not come to your resort. In the end I recommend coming to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe because you will be satisfied with your stay!

3  Thank Natalie R

Dear Ms. Natalie R,

We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one; we are glad to know that we have achieved our purpose and we will be happy to assist your family soon. Tank you for your review.

Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

My husband, two daughters (14 and 11) and I stayed at the Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe from June 25 thru July 2. Excellent food (specialty restaurants were unbelievable) , friendly staff, spectacular beach, clean and spacious rooms. Transfer from airport a bit longer than I expected, but resort staff brought us all drinks while we checked in. Tried to get into the building closest to the beach, but it could not be done, even with a tip.... We were moved a little closer, though, which was great because the resort is gigantic. Not many options for lunch other than buffets, but they were delicious, plentiful, and the freshly made Mexican fare changed daily.
Saw turtles swimming in the ocean every day and my daughter was able to touch them! Very neat experience! Great weather and not bug infested at night! Definitely a place we would return to!

1  Thank MauraK993

Dear MauraK993,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and show you the quality of our services.
Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Best Regstds,

Customer Service

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Food was good entertainment was good but not a place to go if you don't speak Spanish . We were very outnumber at resort very few English speaking tourist. We found we were often ignored for service but locals never were. Even if we were at front desk making inquires they would but in and the staff would allow it. We were there for two weeks way to long there nothing to do around there any trips very expensive. Surf on beach very ruff pools good . Would not go back got tired being ignored

Room Tip: Ocean view roofs be very carful were they are because if the entertainment is even two floors below...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Squirrelly6

Dear Squirrelly.

I am very sorry you had a bad impression of our service, so I offer you a sincere apology.

I have carefully read your comments and it is important for us to know your feedback thanks to them makes us constantly improve.

I hope you give us an opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Check-in was fairly efficient (approximately 10 minutes with one couple in front of us, slower than I would have preferred but good overall) and included a welcome drink while waiting.

Room-Nicely appointed and decorated. We had a garden/standard room on the third floor, and it took us approximately 5 minutes to walk to the beach or pool...not to bad at all in my opinion. My only complaint about our room was that upon check-in it was quite muggy, however we did not experience this problem for the remainder of the week.

Inclusive activities: people did not appear to really being utilizing these services. This is the stem of my only true complaint. There is only one location you can rent/borrow the equipment from and it is in the middle of the resort (about a 10-15 minute walk) and you are only allowed to borrow the snorkel equipment for one hour a day, therefore if you do not want to snorkel directly by the check-out desk you will loose a lot of your time due to walking.

Food: Much better than I anticipated. I am very leery of buffets, however the buffet always had a made to order option. This was greatly appreciated!

Beach: Always appeared manicured. Good swimming options, and snorkeling if you swim out a bit.

Pool: Very Nice, however there was a significant problem with people reserving pool chairs all day regardless if they went near them. However, this problem did not appear to spill over to the connecting functions.

Would I return? Definitely.

3  Thank Acolpitt

Dear Mr. Acolpitt.

On behalf of all the staff I would like to thank you for the time you took to write these comments.

About our facilities, we are honored to know that we could make your stay a memorable moment, and we hope you can be like came back to this hotel.

Thank you for contacting us through our social media.

Barceló Maya Palace

Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#71 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#69 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!