“Fantastic Vacation Experience”

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

First let me start by saying I travel quite a bit with my job and as a family we have enjoyed traveling on at least 1-2 very nice family vacations per year.
Previous to this trip in June of 2014....I had traveled to Mexico for vacation a total of 8 separate times and stayed at several upscale all inclusive resorts including higher end Palace and Riu resorts. Please keep this in mind as you read the review....because of all these trips this ranks as the best. We have always done a bit of research prior to our stays to ensure a good overall experience and for the most part we have had superior experiences on all of our trips.
This trip we had a group of 5 families and 15 total people (kids ages 16-22 and adults from 45 to 65) and normally there could be some concerns with a group this size making everyone happy.
Our overall experience was phenomenal and I give the Barcelo May a Palace Deluxe my highest recommendation. I too read many of the reviews prior to our deciding on this resort and while for the most part the reviews were very good there are always a few that make you nervous. The main complaint seemed to be about check in taking forever.
We did not experience this at all and in fact this went very smooth.

The resort is a decent ride from the airport (about 1 hour 15 minutes)but our accommodation so on our bus were very comfortable and when we arrived check in went very smooth for all 15 of us.
Rooms were as advertised junior suites and very nice with 2 queen beds...2 day beds and double sink...double shower and separate toilet area. Very clean...good air conditioning and we'll stocked. The only slight issue we had was for 2 days we had a condensation leak from our air conditioning unit and one morning my wife slipped and fell due to the water. I spoke talked with the front desk and they had a manager arrive with someone to clean the line to repair it and we did not have an issue after this.
POOL - the pool is one of the largest at any resort I have seen. Beautiful and spectacular. We got chairs early every day for our large group and had a blast everyday. Swim up bar was huge and bartenders very fun and interactive. While it is an all inclusive we still chose to tip although nothing major just a few dollars several times throughout the day and they were very appreciative.
They had an adult pool that was also beautiful and very quiet if you wanted or needed any down time or privacy but the main pool was never crowded especially with the amount of people at the resort.
BEACH - Hundreds of chairs on manicured and clean beach. Turtles every morning were seen and you could feed them. Yes a little rocky but nice snorkeling and very nice and clean beach.
RESTAURANTS /FOOD - as I stated with this being my 9th trip to Mexico and traveling on many vacations the food experience was one of the best. We did book the Ala Carte restaurants our first day ( you can book up to 3 per day and they were well worth it. Brassiere French great experience and food choices. I had tenderloin and lobster with escargot appetizer but all of the options very good. They allowed us to order extra appetizers and share a couple extra entrees for out group and accommodated our large party. Brazilian Rodizio - I read a few negative comments but our experience was great. You can do either order off menu or all cuts of beef with soup and salad bar and was wonderful. Kyoto was the Japanese steakhouse Benihana style at the Colonial resort right next door. I recommend this one over the Palace because it is air conditioned and they cook in front of you at this location. The Japanese steakhouse option at the Palace location offers the same menu but the Palace location does not cook on site and is open air restaurant. BUFFET - each night they had a different theme and you just had to wander to see all the different options. One night they even had grilled split full sized lobster at the buffet. They were very accommodating with special requests....great selection of choices. Don't understand any negative reviews I read. I think they are from people not familiar with all inclusives. If there is something you want and don't see...ASK they just might be able to accommodate you.
Breakfast was good....Lunch good....but dinner was always very good although we went with the upscale ala carte restaurants 5 of the 8 nights.
RESORT SERVICE - fantastic.....they would go out of their way whether it was at the pool with wait staff or bartenders or the constant cleaning of they the grounds....at the lobby bar......at the ala carte restaurants....at the buffets....you name it.

We were very impressed with how hard the employees worked on keeping the areas clean and how friendly they all were to the guests.

Took advantage of the on site gym.....decent equipment and also had sauna and steam showers available at no charge. Also did the Dolphineria experience and thought it was very educational interactive and worth the price paid for a pretty one on one experience.
Also took advantage of the spa and massage. It was located near one of the other resorts and was a very nice full service spa. Very enjoyable and priced similar to resort type spa.

Resort is very large as most reviews note but it was also good exercise to walk from area to area.

All of us would HIGHLY recommend this property. It was my favorite resort and trip in all 9 we have had to Mexico as a family and we will definitely be coming back to this resort.
KUDOS and look forward to out next trip.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
10  Thank Bradley Davi... S
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Bradley Davi... S,

Thank you very much for your recommendation and rank Barcelo as your best trip; we are pleased to know that the 15 members of your family had a pleasant stay.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve your once again.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed 7-1 to 7-82014 with wife,daughter,sun in law & 3 grandchildren.The place is beautiful,
food was good,check in went smooth. Service was excellent.All the buffets were very good,the
french&steak house restaurant were excellent.The tram service is horrible.My favorite waiter Juan,
favorite waitress's Georgenia&Andrea they were great.The kids loved all the slides,pools&dolphins.There is a lot of walking the hotel is huge.Me &my wife were both having
trouble by the end of the week.All in all it was great vacation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Pa2Pa2

Dear Pa2Pa2,

Thank you very much for your feedback, your opinion is very important to us!

Have a good day!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Just returned from our stay at the Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe (July 3-10). Enjoyed almost everything about our visit. This was my 2nd trip to the Barcelo (having stayed previously at the Tropical) and my 3rd trip to an all-inclusive in the Riveria Maya area (having stayed at the Grand Palladium once before). First off most of the negative reviews are probably from high-maintenance people or people who have unrealistic expectations. I want a clean resort with a beautiful beach and decent food. I’m not a foodie by any stretch of the imagination but I don’t limit myself to chain restaurants. RESEARCH before you choose a resort.

Resort: The resort is large and you will have to walk. But because the grounds are beautiful and the staff is very pleasant, the walks are relaxing. There are covered walkways and a shuttle (think tractor pulling wagons with covered seating). The northern end of the resort is the Palace with two buildings (Oaxaca and Michoacan). The lobby and restaurants of the Palace are set close to the beach with rocks below. Just south of the restaurants and lobby is the massive pool. Behind the pool is the Michoacan building and south of it is the Oaxaca. The Oaxaca building actually is closest to the beach. Just south of the Oaxaca is the Tropical/Colonial portion of the resort. Further south is the Caribe/Beach portion (the Caribe is currently under construction until December). For a layout of the resort visit <http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/userfiles/file/map.pdf>

Rooms: We stayed in the Oaxaca building. At first I was upset at the room assignment because it was 1st floor and I had heard it was noisy. Plus I had requested a king-sized bed and the room had two doubles. BUT the location of the room was superb. We were very close to the club premium rooms (the ones that face the ocean). A few steps to the right we were on the beach. A few steps to the left we were at the pool. The lobby and restaurants were further away but we didn’t mind. After eating so much, the exercise was good for us. Maid service was great. Our room was cleaned everyday before noon. The bar was re-stocked and we even had turn-down service on 5 of the nights. The first night we hit a bit of a bump because someone had left a welcome gift (tequila and shot glasses for a wedding on July 5th) in our room. I was a bit concerned that someone from the wedding might try to enter our room but was assured that the mistake had nothing to do with room assignments. We were even given a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries as an apology. Later when we would see a wedding in progress, we would consider crashing the party—afterall we had been invited. Sorry Leev and Massha, I hope the party gifts found their intended recipients and that you had a great wedding!
TIPS: Try to leave open the cabinet door where the fridge is located in order to help it cool the contents (let the air circulate around the fridge). The Oaxaca is a smoking building but I am NOT a smoker and detest smoke (have refused other hotel rooms because of lingering odors). In no way did I feel that our room was a smoking room. Very clean and no musty odors (I had brought some febreeze and hanging car air fresheners just in case but didn’t need them).
CONS: The beds were very hard but I slept better than I thought I would. The room did not get as cold as I would have liked but again I slept almost 7 hours straight through every night (which is unusual for me).

Food: We ate breakfast every morning at the Mirador although I would wander into La Hacienda (the buffet areas are connected) to get a more Mexican flare (black beans, taquitos, quesadillas, etc.). Bacon is readily available along with fruits, yogurt, omelet station, pancakes, crepes, etc. Carlos was our waiter and we returned to him every morning. After the second day, he knew my husband wanted fresh juice and I simply wanted coffee (café con leche) and agua. Ask to sit in Carlos’ section and you won’t be disappointed. Muchas Gracias, Carlos! Fantastico! For lunch we usually ate at the Palmeras Grill simply because we didn’t want to leave the beach. Just throw on a cover-up and shoes and enjoy the view. We ate at 3 of the specialty restaurants. The worst was the Brasserie (French). The service was snail-paced and the food was just okay. The Caribe (Caribbean) was pretty good. Our waiter was attentive and the Mayan coffee was fun to watch being prepared. My husband enjoyed lobster while I had coconut shrimp. Both were good. Our final night we ate Brazilian food at the Rodizio. Loved it! Our waiter was Neilson (his assistant was Raoul). The service was excellent and the food was very good. My husband had the rib-eye and I had the skewers. I was full after the first skewer but the meat just kept coming. Raoul also prepared some Mayan coffee for us. I think perhaps a better flavor than before because he took the time to really proportion the ice cream, coffee, and alcohol.
TIPS: Make dinner reservations for the a la carte restaurants when you first arrive. Don’t waste food. Try smaller portions from the buffet until you are sure you like something. This is Mexico. Expect their versions of your favorites to be somewhat different (even what you thought was typical Mexican dishes). Remember the chefs are cooking for multiple palates from multiple countries.
CONS: About any form of potatoes on the buffet are undercooked.

Alcohol: I am not a drinker, so I didn’t know what to order most of the time. Many times I would simply tell them I didn’t care but no bananas. The alcohol flows freely. We didn’t run into a stingy bartender anywhere on the resort. At the Palace we had name brand liquor. Beware though that if you have too many coconut-based drinks you may suffer—coconut is a natural laxative. I have a feeling that many people who complain about food poisoning may have actually had a few too many pina coladas (just a theory).

Pool: I really didn’t go to the Riviera Maya to swim in a pool, but for some the pool area is important. We did use the pools in the afternoons. The towel game is in full force so if shade is important to you, you will have to fight for it. The pool at the Palace is massive. My husband and I would get our big bubba cup, swim up to the bar, order our drinks and just simply walk around in the pool while sipping away. By that time of day the pool water was warm but with ice-cold drinks in our hands it was refreshing. If you want more structured games pool-side, you will probably want to check-out the Colonial/Tropical pool instead of the Palace one. On our last day we actually went to the adults only pool. It was smaller but more relaxing and cleaner. I don’t understand how people h can trash such beautiful places. The staff are constantly cleaning but can’t keep up. We would often bump into straws, limes, plastic cups, etc. while walking through the pool.
TIPS: Purchase some insulated cups with lids for your drinks. Walk carefully around the pool area as the tile tends to be slippery.
CONS: The towel game. People who leave their drink cups near the pool’s edge or on the concrete towers in the pool making it difficult to keep the pool clean.

Beach: This is the main reason I booked the Barcelo. On the Palace end of the beach, there are rocks. You can enter the water in a few key places without needing water-shoes. We brought ours but only used them the first day. Being able to snorkel off the beach is amazing. Along the rocks we saw a variety of fish and out further we saw at least 3 or 4 stingrays—every day. We only saw the turtles on our last day but others saw them throughout the week we were there. We had yellow flag days (and red) so we didn’t get to enjoy the snorkeling as much as I would have liked. The sand is perhaps not as soft as some parts of Florida, but the water is clearer. The further south you go down towards the Caribe/Beach area the fewer rocks but you also encounter more seaweed/grass. We did jump off the pier and swim with the fish one day but forgot to bring our snorkels with us. The beach is long and we only walked the entire length one time. I could return to the Barcelo and spend the entire week just visiting the various beach areas.
TIPS: You can safely enter the water in key places without water shoes. The sand does NOT get burning hot.
CONS: There was a distinct odor down by the construction area by the Caribe. It didn’t affect the Palace area, but I would have been unhappy if I had booked the Beach and then had to trek up to the Tropical/Colonial or the Palace to enjoy the beach.

Wifi: I did purchase wifi for the week because I wanted to keep in touch with family. Cost was $49. The problem was the reception. In the room I could only use my iPad and was not always able to send texts/emails. In the lobby I could use my iPhone. Very strange. While I didn’t want to be “connected” I did want to be able to communicate on a daily basis so it worked for me. Others will probably be dissatisfied. Only one device can be online at a time and you have to log off in order to log on with another device. However, I do remember in the past going down to the mini-market by the Colonial and paying to use the dial-up computers in order to send emails. That was in 2007. I guess in 2014 I sort of expected more.

Check-in/check-out: This is one area that seriously needs attention. The check-out procedure was easy; of course it was 6:15 AM so even with only one staff member the wait was not long. However, check-in was far from pleasant. We arrived at the desk at 11:10 AM. Yes, this was before the official check-in time of 3:00 PM, and yes, we were allowed to use the resort while we waited for our room. Yes, we did get a welcome drink. BUT the wait at the counter was long. When we arrived there was only one other couple waiting in front of us. There were at least four staff members checking people in. People who were already staying at the resort would appear from the side of the “waiting-line-ropes” and butt in front. Finally it was our turn and it took forever. They had to make copies of our passports and there was paperwork to fill out, but I didn’t understand why the staff would continuously disappear behind the back wall. We weren’t given a key nor towel cards—only a bracelet and a tag for our luggage. Why the repeated trips behind the back wall into the staff area still mystifies me. When I returned at 3:10, I had to wait in line again and wait for the cards. In total (between the 2 visits to the desk) the check-in procedure was an hour. I can only imagine the horrors if check-in involved a large group either as part of your party or in line in front of you.

Staff: This is my second trip to the Barcelo and part of the reason (other than the beach) why I can’t wait to return. We enjoyed the friendly greetings and smiles. Everyone seemed genuine and not just putting on a display for a tip. We did tip. We usually tipped the wait-staff ($1 per drink—even bottled water; $3-4 per meal unless the staff was exceptional or we were dining in the a la carte restaurant; maid service $2 per day and we put a note and $5 in the fridge for the mini-bar stocker; $2-4 for bell-hops for luggage). One day we waited and waited for the shuttle. We were heading to Playa del Carmen via the collective. I finally ran up to ask one of the bell-hops to ask about the shuttle. He suggested we wait in the bar, but I declined. I walked back down towards the shuttle waiting area and a minute later he came running out with 2 bottles of water. Wish I knew his name! Great service.
TIP: Be nice. Greet the people you see and smile. Try to speak Spanish. Ask how they are doing. ALWAYS say thank you.

Room Tip: Oaxaca building will put you closest to the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lacyg63
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Lacyg63,

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe appreciates your preference and the time that you have taken to send us your feedback through Tripadvisor.

We hope to have the honor of serving you once again as you deserve.

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We loved this resort! Our kids had a spectacular time. The check in process was very easy and did not take much time. I did tip the front desk girl $40 to try to get a room close to the beach and the pool, but this did not work. She apologized and said they were at full capacity and still took my tip. Our room was well in the back. She said we could change rooms in three days for our last two nights but could not guarantee anything.
Our air conditioner did not work very well. Make sure the back door is closed very well or the air will not come on. We were not told this and slept very poorly several nights! When we were finally told about the door, the ac still did not cool to our liking despite calling the front desk. The beds were about the worst beds in a hotel room that I have ever slept on! We thought the food was really good. I did have to wait 45 minutes upon arrival to make only 3 reservations for dinner at horrible times. A girl in line behind me told me she and her husband were able to just get in without reservations. That night we tried that at the French restaurant around 8:00 for 4 people and were able to walk right in when the reservation desk had said there were no reservations. We also walked into the Brazilian restaurant without reservations another night.
Take extra $1s to tip. The staff worked hard and appreciated it. The pools were huge. My son did not care for the Barcy club. Both my boys love swimming with the dolphins, but beware they will try to sell you pictures and a video afterward for $350. We were able to get it for $175, which was still too much, but I had had too many margaritas. We would go back to the resort, and hopefully, they can fix some things before we do.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank travelorfromtx
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Travelorfromtexas.

We have carefully read your comments and we are pleased to know you had a very enjoyable holiday in this place.

Regarding mattresses we have a program to change them and this will improve the rest of our guests.

I hope you give us an opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Yours sincerely

Barcelo Maya Palace

Stayed at the barcelo 4 years running and love it to bits
The palace is so nice great location lovely grounds fantastic beach
The staff are so helpful and kind the food is great
In my eyes the best hotel in riviera maya

Room Tip: Just enjoy your holiday
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason L

Dear Jason L,

Thank you very much for your trust and your loyalty. We hope to host you once again in the future. Have a good day!!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe from July 4 through July 8, 2014. Overall for the price we paid for our room with the summer discount I would definitely recommend the hotel thought there were a few negatives which is why I gave it a 4-star overall rating.

First the good: The hotel is an hours drive from the airport (I recommend a private transport) but is closer to Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. If you are interested in snorkeling, it is amazing right here at the north end of the beach. We also saw a sea turtle the first day we were out. This end of the beach is a little rocky but there are access points to the water between the rocky areas that are pure sand and allow easy access to the water. Our second floor balcony faced the trees/jungle behind us which was private and nice. I loved listening to the birds and wildlife in the morning. A/C worked almost too well and while the beds are NOT pillow top, my husband and I didn't find ours uncomfortable to sleep on - just different. The bathroom is huge and I love the two separate showers. The pools are spacious and beautiful though we spent little time there. There is also a very nice children's water play area. There are a variety of places to eat and if you stay in the Palace you have access to all the other resorts as well, though we didn't use them because of our short trip. We did make our a la carte reservations as soon as we arrived and had no difficulty booking the places we wanted though it seemed the premium times (i.e., 7-8:30pm) were already taken and we had to book for earlier times. Hotel check in took maybe 15 minutes as there was another couple ahead of us but nothing I consider unreasonable and check out took maybe 5 minutes. While there were a large number of European tourists who spoke other languages and Spanish is obviously the most common language, I had no difficulty navigating my way at the hotel being an English-only speaker.

The not-as-good: The food - this was my biggest disappointment about the resort. It's difficult to make a buffet upscale anywhere but there is room for improvement here. Of the two main ones, I'd recommend La Hacienda over Mirador. The former has some decent Mexican offerings that I enjoyed. I learned to avoid the Mirador. Coral Grill also was an acceptable place to eat midday. For a la carte's we ate at Caribe and Brasserie and of the two I was more impressed with the food and service at Caribe though nothing really stood out at either of them. Our room while very clean and well furnished was showing a few signs of wear - a leaking bathroom sink pipe (maintenance quickly fixed it), a closet door that had fallen off the track (we didn't use that closet and forgot to report it before we left), and a ceiling fan that could use a good dusting. Also, the complex is HUGE so if you do plan to visit other parts of the resort, bring walking shoes and allow plenty of time. Though we left our 4-year-old at home, I never saw many children playing at the Barcy Club. There were lots of families with children but were mostly at the beach or the pool. Finally, the reserving of pool and beach chairs with towels is alive and well and most of the premium pool spots were reserved by 9am (good thing we preferred the beach). Oh, one other thing - bring your own shampoo and conditioner. The hotel provides theirs in dispensers by the shower and the quality is very poor. I'd use a handful of conditioner and my hair was still a wreck.

To sum it up... Barceló Maya Palace is a fine hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if the opportunity arose. However, I'd plan some outings away from the hotel (i.e. take a cab or collectivo to Playa Del Carmen) so that I wasn't stuck eating their food the entire time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank disneylover65
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear disneylover65,

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay especially the snorkeling, as the beach of the resort is very nice with more than 2 km. where our customers can find attractive areas to walk over white sand, swim in areas without rocks or snorkel in rocky areas or reefs.

Moreover, we regret that the food was not to your liking; normally we receive very good comments as we have a variety of food in the salads bar, pastas, meats, seafood, fruits, desserts, etc. however we continue to strive to achieve the satisfaction of all our guests.
Thank you very much for your feedback, we hope to have the opportunity to assist you once again.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We are a family of four and we stayed at the Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe for a week. Everything was perfect. The food was all you can eat. During the specific hours for breakfast, lunch and dinner at the buffet and the food was very good and there was something for everybody. Also, i expected the snack bar to be literally snacks; the snack bar was a smaller buffet with plenty of food for everyone. There are also four restaurants that you have to make a reservation for. For the restaurant Tokyo my family did not go to because it did not have its own restaurant place, instead it was the area were the snack bar was. However, the other fancy restaurants where Caribbean which was all very fancy seafood, Rodizio which was steak and pasta, and Barsserie which was a French restaurant. If you want to attend any restaurant other then buffets then you must have a reservation, you must be dressed very fancy, and no shorts for men. The bars where very good. There were bars outside of restaurants, in the lobby, outside, and swim up bars. If you like to drink a lot of alcohol then this is your place to go. For underage people, the bar tenders can make the same drinks as they usually do just with no alcohol. I recommend the mudslide, bahama mama, mango, and mango tango. The check in wasn't as terrible as everybody said it was. I did have to wait an extra hour to check in and get my room, but at least I got to explore the resort and get something to eat. I had a junior sweet as my room and it was just enough. I had two queen beds, an extra room with two couches, and a balcony. The bathrooms are very nice. Overall the room was very clean and as a little bonus the refrigerator was filled with snacks and drinks in the room. The pools were amazing and huge. There was so much to swim, water fountains, built in mattresses, and a swim up bar. There also was a pool with slides and other attractions for little kids. The beach was so close to the hotel, literally only a few steps away. The water was crystal clear a warm. I recommend going to the pier and jumping off of it to got swim with fish there, but also there was a lot of fish by the coral right where people normally swim. I do recommending having an underwater camera with you because who doesn't want to take a selfie with fish in the ocean. You like to go the club, there was club jaguar. When you first get there at the front desk they give you a colored wrist band which shows that you can go and walk all over all the other Bracelo resorts and the people that stay in the other resorts beside Deluxe can not come to your resort. In the end I recommend coming to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe because you will be satisfied with your stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Natalie R

Dear Ms. Natalie R,

We accommodate many guests each day and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one; we are glad to know that we have achieved our purpose and we will be happy to assist your family soon. Tank you for your review.

Have a wonderful day!

Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#70 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#69 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!