“If you are looking for a "one star" hotel, go for it !” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Plano, Texas
“If you are looking for a "one star" hotel, go for it !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is the most expensive property out of the 5 that Barcelo operates in the area (one next to the other). As soon as you get to the hotel, if you arrive near noon time be prepared to wait one hour or so to do the check-in. Not enough personal to take care of the # of people in high season (I came back from Mexico this past Thursday, July 17th 2014.
After waiting all this time, we were lucky (as per the lady that managed our check in process said) and our rooms were ready (we have two Junior Suites). Let me define lucky: check-in time is 3 PM, we arrived around 2:30 PM, we got to the check-in counter around 3 PM.....
After 15 minutes of the lady going over the rules, etc etc we start walking to our rooms. Not an issue for us, but our Suites were located too far from the beach or swimming pool.
The room are "ok", BUT one of the rooms the A/C was not working properly (we had two rooms, #8402 and #8403 - I am including the numbers to be sure that the hotel knows who I am in case they want to contact me). We thought that may be was a matter of time for the AC to reach a comfortable temperature, due to that I did not call right away, we left the rooms and went to the pool and beach area. First disappointing: this hotel has more than 500 rooms, but the beach has places with some shade for 20 or 30 people top. If you add some spots with shade near the pool, probably another 100 people. Meaning...... they are short in 1000 (yes, one thousand) spots with shade. Remember..... it is July, shade is a "must to" to be able to enjoy the beach. Anyway, our way to solve this was for one of us to wake up really early and try to get spots in the shade every day. We were thirsty..... and we thought "what best than a Margarita?". My gosh..... the worst Margarita ever ! we tried several drinks, the quality of the alcohol that they use is bad (remember, this is a 4 stars hotel, as they call, "premium facility"). After a couple of days we found the "formula" to solve this: give 10 USD to the bartender, they have bottles of Tequila and others hidden to be used with people that give them money. Of course, everybody knows, we did not (our prior experience in the area was in a "real" premium note). We tried to get food...... they have two buffets, the WORST buffet that I tried ever. We went back to the room, tried to find a spot in another hotel but it was impossible to get two rooms in one of the real good ones that I visited before. The A/C of the room 8402 was still not lowering the temperature enough. It was late at night, I called Guest Services first thing in the morning. Waited around 30 minutes, and a guy from Maintenance came to my room. I stayed there (at the room) to look what the guy did. Remember, two rooms, one next to the other, exactly the same size, the A/C in the room 8402 did not work, the one at the room 8403 works. I set the A/C to 20.5 C, never went lower than 23.8 C. The maintenance guy tried several things, after one hour he left the room and told me to take a look in an hour. No changes, the A/C was still not working properly. I called them 3 MORE TIMES, every time that I called they said that will take care right away ! after 6 days at this room, we left the hotel without the A/C working properly. Guest Services is a joke. Another important thing for me is how good they clean the room. Well...... at the time of arrival we found some small pieces of glass in the floor of the bathroom (and we were traveling with a 7 years old kid, my son). I took pictures of the small pieces. At this time I was wondering what kind of hotel I was staying with my family........ due to that, I did NOT call to clean the floor. Sort of test..... next day, after the maid made the room, the glass stayed there. Next day, same thing...... in fact we left the room after 6 days and the floor of the bathroom was NEVER cleaned. The pieces of glass were located near the toilet. Horrible. In addition to the glass, we killed a bug in the floor, and the bug (well, what left of the bug) was there the day that we left the facility. I can go on and on with more things...... bottom line: employees are trying their best, but this hotel is badly understaffed, and management is very bad. After this experience, I am not going to stay in another Barcelo ever.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel ! :)
12 Thank pf2010
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest PF2010

I am very sorry you had a bad impression of our service, so I offer you a sincere apology.

I have carefully read each of your comments and I am amazed how many inconveniences you had during your stay.

We know that there can always be mistakes but we are always in the best availability to serve them and get the satisfaction of each of our guests.

Regarding the shade on the beach we have over 500 palms and shade in the pool for more than 400 guests, perhaps you had some confusion with this.

About the drinks, we offer good wines and licours Premium and they are liked by most of our guests, maybe the margarita did not like you or perhaps our bartender had a mistake to prepared this drink.

About the room we wished that you would have contacted a Supervisor and she will have attended you immediately for cleaning your bathroom.

To answer in a more objective way please, we would need to send us more information; Reservation name, dates of your stay and room number to the following address; secdireccionpalace@barcelomaya.com
Thank you for taking your time to send us your comments, which they are important to improve our service day by day.

I hope you give us an opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Best regards.

Armando Becerra M.
Barcelo Maya Palace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,231)
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We just returned for 5 night stay at the Palace Deluxe: Sun-Fri. We are family of four (2- boys 11&13). We are well-traveled and appreciated all this hotel had to offer for our family. Was skeptical after some negative reviews but realized the trend was for the good and some people have a grudge or are never happy or realistic. Very glad we went!!! Pools and beaches are so large it never felt crowded. Only saw one wedding on thurs pm.

IMPORTANT - We drank water at all meals and brushed our teeth using tap and no-one was sick. I suspect reviewers who got sick drank too much.

Booked Club Premium and definitely worth the extra $! (If you want a sea-view then do this. Can't believe other reviewers just expect an upgrade by asking!) Super easy check-in and all reservations at alacarte restaurants made in a few minutes. Room was beautiful, clean, well stocked and always cool with no smell. Keep patio door shut as AC kicks off when opened. Super quiet and never had noisy neighbors- think rooms are well insulated. I think second floor view is best as could easily see beach through lovely palms. So glad we got a king bed and had the two sofas made into twin beds- no fighting brothers! Pretty large bathroom.

Favorite part of trip- beaches!!! Always found 4 chairs where we wanted in shade. Preferred there anyway as home base and only used the big beautiful pools on occasion. The snorkeling was great! Never wanted to book a paid trip after first time. Up close we saw stingrays and turtles... Out closer to buoys and coral reefs tons of many types of coral and sea life. (Note: sad that people hurting the reefs by stepping on so be careful!). We brought own gear and rafts. Waves vary by the day. Super clean and clear water. Can also see many fish by pier but not the actual reefs and plant life.

Food for breakfast at buffets was great (something for everyone). We sat outside every day to see the beautiful ocean views and the quiet). Ocean breezes kept you cool.

Lunch at Ocean Grill or the outdoor grill next door close by had amazing ceviche- very fresh. Again something for everyone.

People please tip as these people work hard to make your stay a pleasant one!

All alacarte restaurants were good- again sit outside and enjoy the view! My boys loved the four-course meals and tried all kinds of creatively prepared foods they had never had before! Lobster, sea bass, escargot etc.

We thought the beds were fine and everything worked. Only one device per room for free internet. But really aren't u supposed to be on vacation? ;)

Activities - endless! Boys loved parasailing -$120 for the 2. Free kayaking and dolphin show. Boys loved playing soccer on pretty field even meeting other family from Chile - super cool! Family also played tennis with rackets and balls provided free. Youngest son enjoyed the slides at kiddie pool. Boys also played ping-pong. So much more to do! We went to adults only pool at end of day when kids wanted to chill in room - so relaxing and nice break!

Best tip!!!!!! Do the beach photography! We planned and brought outfits. Photos were beautiful and you get to choose which you want to keep at only $15/photo provided digitally on CD. No hard sell here at all.

Did private transfer with USA transfers and I recommend as no stopping so quick one- hour ride.

So if a fun family-oriented vacation with beautiful beaches is what you are looking for with plenty of luxury touches then this will work wonderfully for your family. So glad to have read Trip Advisor so felt happy to give this review!!!

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
4 Thank MJGentner
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear MJGenter,

Thank you for your comments!! We are glad to know that you had a pleasant stay.
We hope to host you soon; have a wonderful day!!

Customer Service,
California Hot Springs, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Just got back stayed 8 days premium club Oceanfront room 8508. Picking the right resort can be hard with 4 adults 2 kids age 11 and 13. This is our 4th trip to Riviera Maya in the last three years. We stayed at the Iberostar resort, Moon Palace, Barceló Maya Tropical, and just got back from Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe. We always upgrade to premium package worth the money. Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe is the resort for us. We do not have to look for a better resort then this one. With the kids becoming teens it can be very hard to wow them. However this resort has activities for all ages. Never to old to swim with the fishes that is off the pier. Snorkeling the coral reef or relaxing on the other side of the reef with white powder sand with the exotic blue caribbean water. Don't have to pay for excursions to swim with the turtles this resort has three turtles that visits as you swim in the open sea. This resort has free one hour snorkel rental.TIP: If you like to snorkel bring your own. The one hour is not long enough. The Barcelo Maya Palace is in the heart of all the big excursions drive time is no longer then 20min .Xplor, Xel-Há, Xcaret. The Staff is very friendly. The club premium customer service is always trying to please you. I had a little problem at the gift shop. I bought a snorkel and mask that leaked and was not use able at the gift shop. I went back to exchange for a diff one the sales person said no returns or exchanges. I was upset so I went to club premium customer service and told them what happen. Long story short I was very happy that they took care of me. Outstanding customer service very thankful. Rooms are very clean never had a problem with towels or pool towels. The Wi-Fi being club premium you get free Wi-Fi. However ONLY one device can use it. Did I mention I have teenagers and a husband that argued every night over the Wi-Fi code. The only thing I can say that needs to be changed is the Wi-Fi. Barcelo needs to have acess for all devices throughout the resort free of charge. I hope this review helps those who travel with kids.

Room Tip: Premium package is the way to go. Oceanfront rooms 8508 next time I would like to stay in 8507 large...
5 Thank CARIBEANFUN
Dear CARIBEANFUN,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience; it will be a pleasure to assist your family once again.

Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Wonderful Property. Food was good. The pool is great and the beach is beautiful. The Staff was great and very responsive. We stayed for 6 nights had an overall great time. The only knock I had was the very hard bed.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Rob_hoops,

Thank you for your review, your feedback is very much appreciated.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

If you got a deal good for you. Don't purchase the premium package it's a ripoff. The service sucks they have no beach bar. No service attendants on the beach n pool service is slow. I give this hotel a thumbs down.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Martin G
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Ms. Martin G.

It is unfortunate to know that we do not cover your expectations, please accept an apology for any inconvenience caused. We usually have very good comments, however we will continue working.

Regards,

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Customer service was terrible at all of the hotel bars, with the exception of our private bar at the wedding reception.

We attended a family vacation and wedding for 58 destination guests. The property was laid out perfect and the selection of things to do and the beaches were absolutely fantastic. Some of the best I've seen in mexico, and I have traveled to the area more than 6 times in the last 3 years!

Here is my personal breakdown....
Room Accommodations - Average

Room Service - Below Average, if you don't purchase the premium package, you will pay for room service and some resort perks that you assume to be included. That was very annoying.

Food Selection - Great! Although, the buffet is touch & go on items. Some things are good and others literally have no flavor. At all.

Pools - Awesome! Every single pool had things to do and were clean and beautiful.

Family Friendly - Above Average! I have only been to 2 resorts in Mexico that were not adults only, and this one by far takes it!

Check In/Check out - Below Average. This process was EXTREMELY slow and at a time that is was not that busy. No one at the desk was super friendly and when we asked for upgrades we were simply told "no," which I didn't understand.

Adult Beverages - Above Average! I don't think that I had a bad one, and I strongly suggest the Sangrita Shot with Tequila! Our wedding party seemed to enjoy that way to take Tequila Shots!

Towels - Below Average. This may not matter to most people, but I am a towel snob, espeically when it comes to beach towels. I just thought the towel card thing was a little weird and you can only get one at a time with each card, and the quality of their towels was poor.

Hotel Layout - Great! But super lengthy. It takes you a good 20 minutes to get from one side to the other and is frustrating when you're in a hurry to get to the front of the property. Make sure that you walk the property the first day, otherwise, you'll get lost every time you try to leave your room. We had several people in our party that got lost for 30-45 minutes trying to figure out their way to the front of the hotel. It was however, ideal for us being there with 58 wedding guests. We weren't forced to hang out with anyone. I know there are plenty of people who like that!

Overall, we had a fantastic time. It was one of my favorite trips to Mexico and I would absolutely return again. I would also recommend the resort to anyone looking for a family friendly place, with plenty of adult activities and an awesome beach.

TIP: Tipping the wait staff anywhere, won't get you far. Several times we were tipping with $5 bills and that didn't get us any better service. You might as well save your cash!

Room Tip: Check out the Sea Turtles in the water & make sure to upgrade to the Premier Package before you...
Dear Lauren A,

Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe appreciates the time that you.haven taken to send us your
positive comments and observations as they help us not only to maintain but to improve our services. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed you stayy!!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Clean rooms, awesome pools, and a beautiful view. All you can drink alcohol is a bonus. The seafood restaurant was great. Try the Flaming Mayan coffee was the bomb.

Mattresses are like a rock and everyone in our wedding party got sick.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank John V
Dear John V,

In fact, the hotel has many attractions and there is always something for everyone. Regarding the comment of hard mattresses, although we have softeners to place on the beds, we are changing the mattresses but the comment that most concerns us is that some people got sick, as this is a very serious situation and during your stay we had no information about it. We offer you a sincere apology for any problem caused during your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#39 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,271 reviews
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!