“Great Wedding, Great Family Vacation”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Victoria, BC
“Great Wedding, Great Family Vacation”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was not keen on a destination wedding for my #5 daughter this spring; especially in terms of cost, time for travel from Victoria, BC and the fact that many older family and friends were not able or willing to travel to Mexico.
Our group ranged in age from 2 to 60 plus. Our week at the Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe was wonderful and forever changed my view on destination weddings and Mexican Resorts. The accommodation was great, all the meals in the buffets and the a la carte restaurants was outstanding, the beaches fabulous, and the pools wonderful.
We never felt crowded or hurried at the Palace and the staff all treated us as friends.
My wife and I have arranged with friends to go back again this winter.

Room Tip: Close to the pools.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank VictoriaBCGrandpa
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Mrs. Victoria

It is noteworthy that such comments greatly encourage all staff makes every effort to obtain the satisfaction of all our guests.

Thank you in advance for choosing us and I hope in the near future give us the opportunity to visit us again.

Barcelo Maya Palace

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,310)
  • Polish first
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying this is our 4th trip to the Barcelo complex. We have stayed twice at the Tropical, and now twice at the Palace. This was a family trip
so we chose the Barcelo again as opposed to a true 5 star hotel where we have stayed our last three visits to Mexico. We felt the Barcelo selection of activities would appeal more to our kids (ages from 6 to 18) I'll start with the good. The rooms are nice. They are kept very clean and the air conditioning worked great. The beds are extremely hard, as stated in numerous reviews. The in room snacks were more limited than I recall during our previous visits. But overall, no complaints regarding the room. Now the food...oh, the food. When we checked in, we went straight over to make reservations. After waiting almost 45 min, we were told only two restaurants had openings during our week stay. In my opinion, this is unacceptable when you market your property by stating the many restaurants you offer to guests. And the young lady handling reservations was completely unhelpful and almost made us feel as though we were expecting too much by expecting to actually get to eat at their ala carte restaurants that were supposed to be "included". We made reservations at the Brazilian and French and went on our way. The actual restaurants were ok. They weren't terrible, by they were not wonderful by any stretch. Same goes for the buffet. We all found something to eat everyday, but it was more out of necessity than enjoyment. Our dinner meals at other properties have been excellent. The buffet was repetitive, offering the same selections at breakfast and lunch daily. The drinks at the pool bar were flat out gross. I realize they are catering to a large number of guests, but unless you drink beer, expect drinks that taste more like cough syrup. This was not the case on our last visit. And as stated, the pool bar smells horrendous. We could not stand being near it in the afternoons. The on site barcy kids club was not well promoted and my kids walked through and did not want to stay. The night shows were decent. They are basically the only thing to do after dinner, but provided entertainment for the family. The beach is pretty, not as picturesque as other parts of the Riviera Maya, but there were entry points free of rocks where swimming was possible. Nicer beach is just a walk down to the Maya Beach area. Overall, it's an ok place. If you go, you can have a good time. But, their attempt to service a large, diverse clientele falls short and compromises individual service.

Stayed August 2014
5 Thank TxSunny21
Dear Guest Mr.Txsunny

I have carefully read all your comments and first of all I want to thanks the time you took to write all your good and no good experiences, it is important for us to know your feedback thanks to them makes us constantly improve

I hope you give us an opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I would start by saying that this visit was our 6th visit at the Barcelo Palace in the Club Premium section. We stayed a total of 10 days
A lot of things have changed during that period of time.

Let me start with the cons we experienced during our stay :

• A/C broke down during the night one night and there was 2 other evenings and night where the entire buildings (lobby and rooms) had a problem where the A/C wasn’t functioning adequately
• The WiFi didn’t work for over 48 hours – the last days of our trip. Of course you can go to the Club Premiuim to get access to the internet, but it isn’t really as convenient. We were being told that the issue would be fixed shortly, but this never happened.
• The food at the buffet wasn’t as diverse as in the past years and unfortunately the food was too often not hot enough – warm at best. Also the food selection was more to please families with young children. Although there is a section of the buffet meant for kids, we missed having a big roast of meat offered at night, or the chocolate fountain with fresh fruits that used to be offered or the special fancy appetizers offered on tables in the front of the buffet. There had been 3 Tequila barrels that we used to find at the Hacienda at night – it was self-service and there were 3 different types of Tequila to taste.
• The buffet (both of them) had the A/C level a bit high. It would be nice to have the temperature 2-3 degrees less.
• The Club Premium used to have a more adult selection of snacks and drinks (we had white wine and red wine offered which wasn’t the case this time). Once again they have chosen to offer snacks to please kids and teenagers.
• Unless you “reserve” your chair near the pool very early in the morning, forget about finding a spot during the day. Too often people leave a towel to reserve their spot but are present at the pool only for a couple of hours during the day.
• A couple of years ago, the people in charge of the entertainment would come at the beach and perform the aqua-form in the ocean bringing also the music system. It was really a fun thing to do and different than just having everything happening around the pool.

Now for the pros :

• The Barcelo have finally started to change the beds that used to be rock hard. The Club Premium section we were in had some new beds which were quite comfortable! Bravo.
• Check-in and check-out at the Club Premium is very quick and pleasant. They do a great job in trying to please the guests.
• The restaurant reservations are easy to do; on the 10 days we were there, we ate at the restaurants 6 times. Our favorite: The French Brasserie ! When you go there don’t hesitate to ask for Fernando. Fernando has been at the Barcelo for years and has always offered great suggestions and service! In fact we loved our experiences in all the restaurants but the French Brasserie really stands out.
• For the restaurants, you have to be dressed formal, but the A/C is adjusted adequately so that you are comfortable – not like the buffet.
• The hotel grounds are kept immaculate clean and the staff you come across are always ready to give a hand.
• Our room was always taken care of early and the housekeeping service was always just Perfect!
• The best cappuccinos are to be found at the lobby bar – the service and quality of the different drinks are also at their best. A new add-on, a popcorn machine that you can fill in a bag at your convenience.
• The towel hut is quite busy but it is very rare that they run out of towels even in mid-afternoon. Too often this is the kind of situation you hear or read in other resorts.
• You now have access to different interactive programs with the dolphins that are present at the first part of the resort – The Beach. This is a nice add-on especially for families. No need to go on an exterior tour to swim with dolphins – everything is available on site.

The Barcelo is a family resort and the number of families with young children present during our stay had highly increased compared to our previous visits.
Although there are things that need to be resolved (WiFi issue and A/C buffet), overall I suggest the Barcelo with the Club Premium option (for those of you that want an upgraded room with Ocean view). It is more than likely that you will enjoy your vacation at this resort.

Room Tip: If you don't mind walking, the rooms in the Oaxaca section are nice and in the Club Premium sect...
3 Thank Timeport
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Mr. Timeport.

We have carefully read your comments and we are pleased to know you had a very enjoyable holiday in this place.

Regarding some points you mention like the meals, the air conditioner and the wifi we are working on them to improve our service.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 3 August 2014

All service in general is poor, employees are not friendly and could care less that you are there. Rooms were just okay but clean. Property is too large to get around conveniently. I was actually picked from my building in a tractor. Food was just okay. Beach there is ugly, dirty and rocky. Go to Maya Beach which is another sister property if you want to go to a good beach.

I was just there one week ago and left my swimsuit and suit cover on the patio. I called with hours of getting back to advise them that I had left my swimsuit. After 5 days of calls to them along with unreturned calls and promises to look into it, I was finally able to speak with someone that said that it was MY FAULT for leaving my swimsuit there and that maybe a squirrel or other animal got it. Seriously? They treated me like I was stupid, they never kept their word to help me, and never showed any interest in helping me. Be sure to not leave anything behind, because you will never see it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank RubyCD
Dear Mr. Ruby CD

I am very sorry you had a bad impression of our service, so I offer you a sincere apology.

I appreciate you taking the time to send us your comments

Boston
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was our first time at the Barcelo Maya Palace, so I read a lot of reviews here on TA before going. I was a bit apprehensive, given what I had read about bad food, long lines at check-in, etc. I saw none of that. In fact, except for a few minor nits (see below), this was one of the best all inclusives we have been to for families. Over the last several years, we have tended to go to the Iberostar resorts, lately settling on the Paraiso Maya as our go-to warm weather vacation place. But we wanted a change, and we had heard that this resort was similar. We where not disappointed.

First, a few things about our us. We are a family of four (two daughters, 11 years old). We look for a resort that has good food, good beach and pool, and good service. We are not looking for night life, nor for a lot of participatory activities on the beach. We scuba dive, so a good dive shop on the premises is a must. So i can't really comment on the quality of the shopping, or of the disco, since we did not really try these things.

The resort is made up of five hotels: the Palace, the Tropical - Colonial, and the Caribe - Beach. The hyphenated hotels, while separate, share facilities and are in the same class. The Palace is the most expensive and offers the most amenities, followed by the Tropical - Colonial, and then the Caribe - Beach. The Caribe seemed to be under construction while we where there. In addition, within each hotel class, you can also purchase the Club Premium Deluxe option, which gives you additional amenities (better room, unlimited reservations, no towel cards) within your hotel class. We where at the Palace, and we had the Club Premium Option.

In general, guests from one hotel can use the facilities at any of the lower rated hotels, but not vice-versa. So guests at the Tropical can go to the Caribe, but not to the Palace. Guests at the Palace can go anywhere they like. As others have mentioned, the place is big. However, let's not exaggerate: one night, we went to dinner at the Mexican restaurant at the Beach, and it was a 15 min walk along the beach from our room at the Palace. There is a shuttle tram that goes from hotel to hotel, but we never took it.

General Hotel Description
The lobby and restaurant complex is located right on the beach. The Club Premium had it's own check in area, and the whole process took about 10 minutes. Our room was in the Oaxaca building, close to the beach. The hotel is laid out around an enormous pool complex. In addition to the larger main pool, there is a sports pool (with lanes set up in the morning), a kids water park/pool, as well as an adults-only pool. You can go from your room to the lobby area under cover, so there is no need to bring raincoats in case of a rain shower. The beach is right off the pool. There are some areas with rocks, but other areas are all sand. I took water shoes but didn't use them. Snorkeling right off the beach is amazing. There where at least two turtles that swim right up to shore. Bring your mask and snorkel. You can borrow some there but they are in high demand.

Rooms
I was very pleased with our room. We where on the third floor, with a balcony, chairs, and a drying rack, facing the pool. The room had one king bed, and two sofas made up as beds for our girls. This didn't leave a lot of places to sit that where not the bed, but we had the balcony. Furnishings where modern and clean. Bathroom was huge, with two sinks, a separate toilet area, and a tub and shower. Hot water was never a problem. There is a flat screen TV on the wall (it was mounted slightly crooked in our room), but honestly we barely turned it on. There is wireless internet in the room which is included with the Club Premium, otherwise you pay for it. I think there is also an internet center near the lobby, but I never needed it.

I read one review here that said the food was inedible. It is very difficult for me to see how that can be the case. Every meal at the sit-down restaurants was fantastic. We went to all three, Caribbean (seafood), Brazilian (steak and pasta), and French. All three where multi-course meals and the menu is varied enough that even though we went back to a couple of them several times, we never had the same thing twice. They also have two buffets, one with generic buffet food and another with more traditional Mexican dishes. We went to the Mexican one for dinner our first night and it was very good. The other one we used only for breakfast and lunch. For breakfast, they have a large variety of hot foods, as well as cereals, fruits, etc. Several egg stations will cook your eggs any way you want them. For lunch, they turn into pasta stations. We didn't try room service (also included with Club Premium, extra charge otherwise), so I can't comment. Finally, there is a lobby bar, as well as a small bar right outside the three sit down restaurants. I like drinking margaritas in the evening, and they where very good. They have Corona on tap. I read a review of someone complaining they didn't have "American" beer. That's right, they don't. If this is a deal breaker, there are lots of hotels in Florida that I'm sure will be a better fit. Then again, they probably server Mexican beer ;-)

Men do need long pants for the sit down restaurants, so don't forget to pack them.

Activities
As I said up front, we are primarily there for scuba diving, and the dive shop, run by Dressel Divers, is excellent. Four trips a day are available. You can rent equipment there, or bring your own. They also run several "discover scuba" courses, as well as a free dive in the pool twice a day.
One thing that I cannot recommend more highly is the whale shark excursion. It is not pleasant to wake up at 5AM while on vacation, but it was an incredible experience. They pick you up and drive to Punta Sam, just north of Cancun. There, you take a boat for about an hour and go to a spot in the Cozumel channel where these fish are migrating. We saw dozens of them, ranging in size from 10 to 30 ft. They swim along, and the captain pulls up beside them, and you jump in, two at a a time, along with a guide. You swim as fast as you can along with them. You are swimming within a couple of feet of them. After they pull away, or dive, the boat picks you up. You do this three times. After everyone has had a turn, you go to Isla Mujeres, where you have a ceviche lunch right on the boat, or in our case, standing in waist deep crystal clear water right off the island. The van brings you back to your hotel by around 4PM. Again, I cannot recommend this enough, if you're there during the summer months when the migration is happening.

Things that could be improved:

1. The pool area needs more shade. If you don't get up early, and want to sit near the pool, you will be in the sun. The palm trees aren't spaced close enough to provide any meaningful cover. On the plus side, there is plenty of shade on the beach, where the trees are numerous enough to provide good cover.
2. I realize that even in an all inclusive, some things will cost more, but food shouldn't be one of them. In particular, at the pool bar, there is a food menu, but it costs extra. Furthermore, with the Club Premium, it's unclear whether that was included or not.
3. The hotel could use a place on the pool/beach where people could pick up a snack without having to cover up for lunch. Doesn't have to be much, maybe some burgers, or tacos, or pizza. Some days, you don't want to go in. This would even be beneficial for the hotel since many people will just snack on this and not go in for lunch.
4. The adults-only pool has NO shade, other than the lounge cabanas which have to be reserved (and cost extra).
5. The bathrooms at the pool need to be cleaned more often during the day. This was the only service/maintenance issue I had during my whole entire trip. They start out spotless in the morning, but a bunch of wet people using them quickly makes them a mess.
6. The swim-up bar really needs a good scrubbing. In the afternoon, it can get, shall we say, a bit ripe in the smell department. I realize it's hard to keep clean, with all the food and drink and people spilling both, but other swim up bars don't have this problem.

Summary
This is a great place for families. It compares very nicely with the Iberostar Paraiso Maya. In fact, while the IPM has a more impressive physical plant (hard to beat a reproduction of the Chichen pyramid), I liked this resort better: newer rooms, better food, and better pool/beach layout. I would definitely recommend the Club Premium option. Getting unlimited reservations, having better rooms, and not having to deal with towel cards makes it more than worth it.
Oh, and don't forget to tip the staff. I took a stack of dollar and five dollar bills and used them at dinner, for the cleaning lady, etc. It's not required, but it's greatly appreciated.

Room Tip: The Club Premium gets you the better rooms.
13 Thank publicpersona31
Dear Mr. Publicperson.

I have carefully read all your comments and first of all I want to thanks the time you took to write all your good experiences that you and your family lived, it is flattering to know you had a wonderful holiday.

Absolutely we have great facilities where all our guests enjoy a lot of them, like a beach more than a mile long with different areas with soft sand, rocks to snorkel and swim with great fish and turtles, large pools for adults and children with slides, a large variety of restaurants and bars, etc..

About your recommendations, it is always important to know the opinions of our guests, which help us to improve our services.

Best regards

New Lenox, Illinois
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Palace Deluxe. The hotel is a good 45-60 minute drive from the airport but we wanted to be away from Cancun.We were originally booked at the Colonial but they moved us to the Palace, which was fine by us. We did have to wait an hour for the room (went and ate) but the staff was very courteous and apologetic. I would advise that you have the staff make fresh food for you at the buffett (omelettes, eggs, chicken beef) Some of the food that was prepared in advance was dried out. But I think they have something for everyone; I was surprised that they had staff making smoothies out of fruits/vegetables people had chosen. We were very impressed with the Palace. It's beautiful, clean and we were very comfortable. Yes, it is hot and humid outside and in the open air lobby area. Have good walking shoes/sandals because you will walk abit to the main area for eating, but even the walkway is covered and is beautiful with columns and lights at night.We have young adult sons so we were very happy that there was an adult pool away from the active children's area. It was quiet.and relaxing. and there were never more than 15-20 people in the pool and connecting whirlpool; no problem getting a place to relax around or in the pool. The ocean was close by and the staff keeps the beach clean; there are some rocky areas by the shore you just have to maneuver around but not a big deal. Be sure to make your dinner reservations at the guest services as soon as you arrive. There are guest services by the main lobby and there was one located by our building; I am not sure if each building has one. We also did a day trip with Jungle Maya . We had a great time ziplining across the Mayan jungle and into the cenote, rappeling down into the cenote, snorkeling through the underground caves and then eating a meal in the jungle made by the Mayan people.

7 Thank Denise O
Dear Mrs. Danise.

I appreciate you taking the time to send us your comments, it is a pleasure to know that your holiday with us was amazing.

It is important for us to know your feedback thanks to them makes us constantly improve

I hope you give us an opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Best regards

Hampstead, Maryland
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Just returned from a terrific trip to Barcelo Maya Palace. The resort was absolutely spectacular, particularly the beach. We enjoyed our meals, had great service and spent a terrific vacation in Mexico. I would definitely return to this resort.

Room Tip: Air conditioning is computer controlled. We had 2 rooms on the first floor that were very cold (act...
3 Thank JenRYTRVT
Dear Mr. Jenry.

On behalf of all the staff I would like to thank you for the time you took to write these comments.

About our facilities, we are honored to know that we could make your stay a memorable moment, and we hope you can be like came back to this hotel.

Barceló Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#77 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!