“...nothing premium, nothing palacelike but the sheer size”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Reviewed 18 August 2014

2,5 hours for our luggage to arrive at the room, One hour for the concierge to show up at his desk, helpless unattentive staff not equipped with the necessary skills or competences to solve obvious problems. E.g. No free WiFi in a suite though promised on the website. If you hate good hotels, love wine shipped from dubious vineyards in tanks and prefer complaints to end up unanswered feel free to book in.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank kandinsky_10
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Ms. Kandinsky

I offer an apology for the bad impression you had of the service of our Guest Service

About the wines meet international quality standards and they are not of doubtful origin

I hope you give us an opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Yours sincerely

There are newer reviews for Barcelo Maya Palace

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I really wanted to love Barcelo Maya Palace. My husband and I have traveled to the Riviera Maya many times with another couple. We have stayed at the Moon Palace, Aventura Palace (now Hard Rock), Excellence, and Secrets Maroma Beach. This time, we were bringing my mother, sister, and our young daughters for the first time. So I wanted a family style resort that would appeal to everyone. We chose the Barcelo because it came highly recommended by someone that I knew with children.

I happen to agree with some of the positive reviews as well as some of the negative reviews that I read before going. So without repeating a lot, I will speak on the things that meant the most to me in my selection process. First, the rooms were a nice size and had a modern décor, which I liked. My group had 4 rooms in the Michoacán buildings. The rooms on the upper floors were fine, but my sister’s room on the bottom floor had a slight musty smell and a bad case of ants. Since it was her first time in Mexico, she did not say anything to me about it until our last day there. If I had known that before, then I would have requested to have her room changed. The second thing that we wanted was a beach and pools for the kids. The kid pools across the complex were entertaining for our 7 and 8 year olds. The other pools were large, but drinks for adults around the pool took up to 45 minutes to get one day. As far as the beach, I found it to be one of the rockiest beaches we have come across since going to the Riviera Maya. I understand that the reef is there, and that has snorkeling benefits, but we had several foot and ankle injuries right at the edge of the beach. I didn't expect it to be that bad. The last two things that bothered me were the size of the resort and the reservation process. If you stay at the Palace end, then it is nice to be able to use all of the facilities. However, this place is huge! Our room was far from the dining venues and the pools, just at the Palace. Then it takes forever for the tram (pulled by loud tractors) to come around and take you to places at the other resorts. It seems that there should be one or more trams making a 360 rotation in one direction, and then another going in the opposite direction. Instead, they all stop at each location, travel to the end, and then come back to each stop again. Therefore, it seems like a waste of time, especially when you have a large group such as ours and trying to make it to dinner reservations. This brings me to my last point, you can eat easily at the buffets with a large group. However, we tried to make reservations at the specialty restaurants right away for our group of 9, and had a lot of trouble. Our “concierge” was not very helpful. Once we figured out, on our own, that we could have the group split and get reservations with more than one table, then we were able to get reservations at two specialty restaurants. Be aware that the Asian restaurant at the Palace is not a real hibachi experience. We learned that the hard way. Thankfully, the manager over at the Colonial complex made adjustments for us and we were able to eat there instead of waiting for another tram at 9:00pm.

Overall, we were able to make several memories at the resort. It is a tropical place that has beautiful grounds. Our young daughters had a ball! However, I do not think I would go back to the Barcelo Maya Palace again. Everything just seemed too complicated and mediocre in comparison to other resorts in the area. The people were nice enough, but it just seems like they need more attendants to service the size and amount of people at the resort. To me, there is room for much improvement at this resort.

One last note, my husband found a camera in the water at the beach when we were there. We are still hoping to find the owners. We have a forum on Trip Advisor about it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank tclark62
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear tclark62
We regret that you have taken a bad image of service; generally we receive very good comments however your feedback is very important to us, as it help us to constantly improve.
We hope to see you in Barcelo one more time, to give you our service.

Best Regards from Riviera Maya

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed at the resort from July19-Aug. 2nd and had a very nice time. It was my husband and I, our 2 children (14 yr old daughter and 11 yr old son) and my Mother and we stayed in rooms 8206 & 8207.What made this resort, such a great resort was the staff. There were 3 individuals that really stood out, Hassim was our server for the breakfast and lunch buffet ( we always sat where he was working). Hassim new our names by the 2nd day and new exactly what we liked to drink. He would even help my Mother bring her food to the table sometimes. Such a kind, caring soul that takes a lot of pride in what he does! Pamela, in entertainment was so energetic and friendly, who always took the time to stop and say "Hi" and see how we were doing. Then there was Alejandro, who was the tennis and fitness manager. He was such a wonderful person, inside and out. Very hard worker and also, made us feel very welcome. He is another person with such great potential,because of what pride he takes in what he does. There were others that were energetic, fun and welcoming, like, Ivan, Enrikue (yes, with a "k") and Lalo.

The property was quite nice and very large, with a nice pool and lots of activities for all to enjoy. The beach was very nice, just had to watch out for the rocks and seaweed, but once in, it was beautiful and snorkeling was awesome. The food was not bad and the A la carte restaurants were overall, pretty good, especially the French restaurant and the Japanese restaurant in the Colonial resort. The nightly entertainment was pretty good and there was some nice shops.

The things we found a little frustrating was the bar staff, at the swim up bar (which we didn't go to often because there was a very unpleasant smell around there) and the dry bar. They didn't seem very friendly or happy to be there. Also, because we were there for 2 weeks, we took advantage of the laundry service, which we had trouble with the length of time they would have our items. They claim to take 24 hrs, but every time, our laundry came back 30-36 hrs
later. Also, getting them to bring more laundry bags was a real hassle. I had to call 3 times, once on one day and 2 times the following day, before we finally received them. The rooms are suppose to be cleaned and stocked daily, but we had to ask numerous times for water and snacks to be restocked. It took 2 days at one points for them to stock and even then, they only did one of the rooms, not both.

Our 11yr old son did cut his foot on a broken piece of tile at the pool, but he received first aid right away. The gym was not too bad, but not big enough for the size of the resort.

At the end of the day, all the negatives, were pretty minor if you consider that you have a pretty good life if you can have quality time with your family, meet interesting people, give your kids a great experience and not have to worry about cooking or cleaning. We would come back again because of the people we mentioned earlier and because, all-in-all, we had a great time!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MLS242
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Guest MLS.

On behalf of all the staff I would like to thank you for the time you took to write these comments.

About our facilities, we are honored to know that we could make your stay a memorable moment, and we hope you can be like came back to this hotel.

Thank you for contacting us through our social media.

Barceló Maya Palace

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed 9 days with my 2 teenage boys. we are seasoned travelers to Mexico. This resort was huge if you like that. The room as very nice, but the bed was the worst I've ever slept on. Moved to the couch after 2 nites. Hard, no stuffing and you could feel the bending wires inside. The food was ok...a typical buffet. The restaurants were great, but required a reservation that was not easy to get. The Tokoyo Grill did not have an opening for the entire 8 nights...must have been great food. The sailboats they advertized as free but were only opened after 2 or 3pm and closed at 4:30 for only a 30 min use. Not really worth the effort. The pool was HUGE, service not so good there, was easiest to walk to the poolside bar for service. My boys really enjoyed the free daily Scuba in the pool a 15 min "tryout" and we decided to pay $195 for the 1 pool and 2 ocean dives. they both really had fun with this. The restaurans were 1/2 mile hike from the room...really and just a long walk...guess that's the HUGE resort issue. Overall an OK trip.

Room Tip: An hour drive from the Cancun airport...worth the $150 for the private car. Buy online in advance w...
3  Thank billrthomas

Dear Mr. Bill

We have carefully read your comments and we are pleased to know you had a very enjoyable holiday in this place,

Regarding mattresses we have a program to change them and this will improve the rest of our guests.

Best regards.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Great place with excellence service except lobby staff. The property itself is beautiful, everything is well-maintained and clean. The wildlife add an extra touch to the place. Rooms absolutely beautiful more than big enough with loads of space for clothes and toiletries. Large bathroom with two marbled sinks and rain shower. We tipped our cleaning lady daily for her amazing job keeping the room clean. A/C worked perfectly. Long walking to the restaurants and beach, but good for us. Beach at Palace is rocky at some points, you can snorkel and see turtles and lots of fish. Beach and pool area very good maintained.
The food in the buffets was very good with a wide variety of choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The a la cartes were average at best ( French!) Drinks very good and all branded spirits.
Overall, great place for families with kids. Lots fun, relax, no worries.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Third floor, jungle view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank chevalier_park

Dear lilly969.

Thank you for your preference! It will be a pleasure to see you en Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe on your next vacation.

Receive a warm greeting from the Riviera Maya.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe. I recommend the hotel for families as it was a great all inclusive experience for my children. I have been to the Iberostar adult only and felt the restaurants were better at the Barceló but service is better at Iberostar. I highly recommend eating at all the Palace restaurants for the experience. The French restaurant is the best. The Steak/Italian/Brazillian was the least. I agree with many reviewers that the Ravioli was not good at the Brazillian--and should be replaced. I agree with many of the pros/cons listed in the reviews. I would add the following:

PROS:
Beautiful photo opp at the rear of the hotel; we took our own family photo
Staff willingness to replace restaurant food selections when we did not like our choice
Plenty of seating choices at the beach; many with shade
Lobby bar open 24 hours
Replenished room snack bar
Mayan Coffee

CONS:
Resort Shopping is limited and not unique.
No resort activities for teens (there was snorkeling)
Long wait (not air-conditioned) to make restaurant reservations after checkin (only 1 service attendant)
No welcome drinks waiting upon arrival (used private hotel transportation)
The resort tram makes many stops and can take a long while to get to destination; Wished for a ride in the golf cart.
No daily activities handout that shows all activities for all hotels. Would be nice to provide menus from all the restaurants on the resort and not just the ones on the palace.
Margaritas are made with sour mix.

3  Thank YearlyVacationer1

Dear YearlyVacationer1
We appreciate your time, to write your comments on Trip Advisor, it’s very important for us your opinion, to give the best service to our guests. It will be a pleasure to host in the future
Best Regards

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Good- Excellent room, clean,modern, fab hotel, great buffet choice and quality, attentive and helpful staff, well organised, ample pools, pools and beach never crowded, fantastic snorkel experience with sea turtles, stingray and many exotic fish. Thoroughly enjoyed
Bad - not much. Individual restaurants fail to impress, thought the buffet was better. Not a lot to do after 10.30pm..same experience last year at a similar hotel, after the evening theatre show, there's an on site disco or it's goodnight campers.

Room Tip: Junior suite excellent. 2 x double beds and 2 single.
2  Thank ARebecca101

Dear ARebecca101..
First of all receive our greetings from Riviera Maya and thanks for your comments on Trip Advisor.
Our main goal is that all our guests have a pleasant stay and a happy return home; we are pleased to know that you enjoyed your vacation.
Thank you for your preference! It will be a pleasure to host in the future!..

Best Regards

Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#71 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Ocean Riviera Paradise
Ocean Riviera Paradise
#72 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!