“Love it here!”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Long Island, New York
“Love it here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

This is the 2nd time my family and I have come to this resort. The first time, we stayed in the Colonial. It was amazing and I always said it was my best vacation ever. We decided to upgrade to the Palace this time & it's even better. We did not have to wait long for check in at all. The beaches are beautiful and we didn't find it rocky as others have stated. The resort is pretty big but we were lucky enough to get a room that wasn't so far from the pool. The food in the buffet and the specialty restaurants are so good. Hands down the best food at any all inclusive resort we've been to. The pool is HUGE so it never felt crowded. The rooms were spacious & the bathroom in the room was amazing.

I didn't give the resort an excellent rating because there were some negatives. First off, the wifi. They charge $13 a day and it can only be used in your room and in the lobby. All other all inclusives that i've been to have had free wifi, atleast for an hour. Secondly, it was nearly impossible to make dinner reservations. On our first trip we dined at Kyoto (hibachi restaurant) and we loved it so much. This time, right after checking in we tried to make a reservation for Kyoto and they were already all booked for the 5 days we were going to be there. A lot of the other ones we wanted were booked as well. Luckily for us, we decided to just show up at Kyoto and they said they would try to squeeze us in, which they did. Another big issue was people going early to reserve loungers by the pool. We would go to the pool right after breakfast and there would be no loungers left because people put their towels on it & leave. I think that's horrible and inconsiderate! A lot of times we were forced to go to the beach because we had no seating by the pool, meanwhile the pool was empty.

Lastly, I just want to make a comment about something I overheard. Some lady was bragging to her friends that she told one of the servers in the buffet "If you want to receive a big tip, go get me french fries right now!!" and then she started laughing and said the lady went running off to get her fries. I think this is horrible. Yes they are there to serve you, but there is no need to treat anyone like that! I was able to speak to a worker in one of the gift shops who said she left all of her family and friends for the opportunity to work at this resort. She is alone now and works every day. She sends money back home for her kids. These people are humans just like you & I, and it's disgusting to treat someone as if they are below you just because they're serving you. I hope that nobody reading this will ever treat somebody that way. It's wrong.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Jessica_P07
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director de Recepción at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Christina 187,

It is so kind of you to acknowledge all and each one of the employees at the hotel. Our main goal is to make everybody's vacation the best.

For us, it would be kind to host you once again.

Kind Regards,

Jose Luis Serratos.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,253)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a week at the barcelo maya palace.

Without a doubt this is the best hotel i have stayed in.

The food was excellent, the staff friendly and very helpful, the rooms were clean and luxurious.

The pool areas and beach were clean and all the grounds are well maintained.

We have already recommended the barcelo to friends and family and will definitely be returning ourselves.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Da-plum,

How kind of you take in consideration, letting us host you and your family for a second time. If that is the case please let us know so will be eagerly expect you.

Best Regards,

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We had a VIP reservation in here. We had a check in in a private area, made us feel very special.
Upon arrival to the room we got a bottle of tequila waiting for us and later they brought us a bottle of sparkling wine and sweets. Also with VIP you get a free room service (otherwise $97 per order, no matter what you get) and mini bar is included also.
$13 for internet per device per day. With our VIP we had one device included. Works only in room and lobby. But it loses connection pretty often... ;(

French restaurant is awesome! Make sure to make a reservation.
Overall, the resort is really big and beautiful. Huge pools with inside bars. The best resort I've ever been to.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hooligunka
Dear Hooligun,

We cannot thank you enough for such nice review, to all of us means a lot. We would be thrilled to host you once again.

Best regards,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

This is the signature resort in the Barcelo compound. In total there are 5 and if you stay here you can go to any of the others. Not the case if you stay at one of the others. With that being said I really didn't venture to the others as the place is HUGE. The pool here is the largest pool I have ever seen. It also has a swim up bar. There is a seperate adults only pool but it was super quiet. Didn't have my daughter with me but they also have a kids water park which looked like it would be fun for the little ones.

The only real negative was the bed. It was very hard and not comfortable at all. Pillows were pretty bad too. Rooms were spacious and comfortable otherwise.

The food here was pretty on par with what I expected. The buffets are very similar to a cruise ship. Lots of selection and it was OK. There are several restaurants you can book and everyone in my group agreed that the French was the best. If you want better food than don't stay at an all inclusive. I did find it strange that room service was not included. Never have seen an all inclusive that makes you pay for room service.

I did do the atv tour though the jungle that led to a canote (underground cave) filled with water. Our guides took us in the cave and it was very cool. The cost was $50 for singles and $65 for doubles. Great value and we were out for about 70 minutes. I would strongly recommend.

Lastly, make sure to take and use a TON of sunblock. We constantly were reapplying and still got burnt. The sun is vicious. If you are fair skinned and not extremely careful you will get burnt, and bad.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Travelforbiz2011
Dear Travelforbiz2011,

We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us, your review, has been passed on to the corporate office, while our guest feed back will make us achieved greater goals.

Best Regards,

Belmont, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

DO NOT BOOK A TRIP HERE, U WILL REGRET IT!
Paid for the all inclusive stay with round trip service from the airport. When we landed, we were horrified to learn we were NOT on the "pick up" list even though my fiancée had printed out the itinerary WITH the round trip service paid for AS WELL as the confirmation of pick up for that day and time. Waited over an hour in the heat after an all night flight. Finally, the driver took us to the resort, (which is beautiful, but hey, it's Cancun, it's all beautiful) where the manager proceeded to nonchalantly explain it was a "mix up and to not worry and enjoy our vacation". We were assured he would contact us by dinner and CONFIRM our round trip reservation was in fact included. Did not hear from him until the last day of our stay despite our daily visits to the front desk AND the travel department, ( which, conveniently is SEPERATE from the resort, presumably so they each can blame the other in situations like this). Finally, "I am terribly sorry, there is nothing we can do", is all we got. This place somehow received a five star rating and I am here to tell you it does NOT offer the amenities nor have they trained their staff to be in keeping with even a four star resort. The food was good and the beach was beautiful, other than that I hope that you don't forget anything and that you speak Spanish. I hope I have articulated my point with the couple examples I referenced. I do not want to relive any more of our DAILY DISAPPOINTMENTS. HORRIBLE!!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Blondenblue
HBarcelo-Maya-Palace, Director General at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Guest

I am very sorry you had a bad impression of the transfer, but we do not know enything about this service, so I offer you a sincere apology.

To answer in a more objective way please, we would need to send us more information; reservation name, dates of your stay and room number to the following address; secdireccionpalace@barcelomaya.com

Thank you for taking your time to send us your comments, which they are important to improve our service day by day.

I hope you give us an opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Best regards.

Armando Becerra M.
Barcelo Maya Palace
Louisa, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

After visiting in May of each of the last two years and again last December, we're returning this December. We have met people who had trouble with restaurant reservations and with the sheer size of the property and the amount of walking to shops, restaurants and the like. We use the Club Premium and if it's not a budget-breaker, it gets faster check-in, a nice lounge to read a paper after dinner, more room amenities, guaranteed seating in restaurants and room service. Two useful tips are to use the concierge service in each building for the restaurant reservations if you don't use the Club Premium and to study the map of the property to discover the shortcuts from one area to another so the walk is not so long and you don't have to wait for the tram. Walking south through the Oaxaca and Michoacan buildings leads to a road that runs past the next hotel south where the shops are located. A bonus is informational signs on pedestals along the road so one can learn more about local flora and fauna. We've been going to the Playa del Carmen area for several years - close to twenty times - and this is about the nicest property we're tried. The staff tries hard and most have language skills that can be understood, but if you deal with someone who speaks little English, it won't help to talk louder. Just ask whether there's anyone handy with whom you can speak and you can usually get an answer to your question or resolve whatever problem has arisen. Whether you're out early or late, you can find the ubiquitous iguanas, serekes, raccoons and even deer grazing peacefully in less travelled areas between the buildings. For us, the adult pool is an everyday hangout and it doesn't take long for the bartenders to know what you want before you say anything. The only drawback we've found is the distance from town, but the cab ride is okay and the public bus is available if you are adventuresome (and speak a little Spanish). All in all, a great place to relax and enjoy a less frenetic pace with nice people, both staff and visitors.

Room Tip: With no one overhead, time in the room is quitter, so top floors are best.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CongaJim
Dear CongaJim,

It is so nice of you letting everybody know about our grounds and our non harmful animals. we would be very pleased to host you in the near future.

Warm Regards,

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband and I stayed from 8/9 - 8/16 and had a fabulous vacation!

First, a little bit about us so you know who is writing this review. I am very particular about where we stay, the food, the overall atmosphere. I did a lot of research before we chose our hotel and quite frankly, was scared off by some of the reviews...but kept an open mind and focused on the positive ones. I'm glad we chose this place and you will too!

Here's the lowdown:

What we booked: Garden view junior suite deluxe for my husband and I. We did not find that it was necessary to book Club Premium and I'm glad that we didn't. Our room was fantastic! Room 8425 on the third floor in the Michoacán building, nonsmoking, king bed pillow-top mattress - all of our room requests were met. Thank you reservations agents:) Our corner room was very private in a lush tropical garden near the adult pool. It was simply beautiful, clean and comfortable. My husband did comment about the bed being a bit firm but it was not uncomfortable. I slept like a baby. He's a Heavenly Bed snob anyway;). Our room was always cold - sometimes too cold and I would need to turn the air off.

Check-in process: We flew in from the US west coast on a red-eye, so we got to the hotel at 10:30-ish. By the way, we used USA Transfers - prompt, professional, private transfer in an air conditioned van. Our room wasn't ready so we got our bracelets and chilled out outside of Carey's lobby bar taking it all in and decompressing from work. I enjoyed several Americano coffees - thank you Alejandro for the amazing coffee all week! We then walked around becoming familiar with the resort and made a few dinner reservations with no problem. By 2:20, our room was ready and our luggage was promptly delivered to our room by the very courteous bell staff. I will tell you that the bulk of the flights arrive in the afternoon, so I can see where it gets busy. If you can, get there early, you won't have your room but you can get your bracelet and hang out.

Concierge: Okay, some were great but others need more training. The woman at the Colonial was awesome and very friendly! My recommendation is to ensure that all staff is trained on where to go, what things really cost and have menus for all of the specialty restaurants for all - Colonial, Tropical and Maya Beach at every desk. The nice thing is that there are guest services desks scattered throughout the complex. The travel agent tour operators and car rental office are all located on the bottom floor across from the gym. We booked our Tulum tour through Barceló Vacations and it was fabulous - $57 US per person.

Beach: Can you say "Tortuga"?? Yes, plenty of sea turtles were seen. You have to know where to go and where to look. This is one of the reasons why I chose this resort - because you can snorkel right off the beach and see the family of sea turtles every day! You do not have to go out far. They like to eat the grass in the sandy areas at the bottom. They are not near the reefs. I got a lot of great underwater/above water pics of them. Stay closer to shore directly in front of Coco Bar in shoulder height water look out and you will see them come up for air, then you can go swim and follow them. Snorkeling out by the reefs was good too with a few varieties of fish. I also saw a sting ray in the shallow part. As far as rocks - yes, there are some and you need to know where to walk out into the water. If you are facing the ocean, just to the right of the lifeguard stand, there is a sandy spot with no rocks - this would be in front of the flag. If you go down to the Maya Beach resort past the pier, its pretty much all sand into the water. We didn't mind navigating around the rocks as the water is clear and you can see them.

Pool areas: Beautiful! Kids club area, pool bar/main pool area, adult pool for some quiet time - it was all perfect and well thought out when planned! Oh, and the swim-up bar did not stink as other reviewers stated.

Food: All we can say is top notch. We live in a really nice tourist area and have many premium hotels around us that have Sunday/holiday brunches and the food at the resort was above what we had expected and way better than the Four Seasons, Hyatt, etc... Lots of fresh light and healthy dishes as well! We ate at the Caribe, Rodizio, Quijot at (Rancho Grande, Beach resort) and Marenostrum (Colonial) and the last one was our least favorite. All of the food at the Palace is top notch, especially the Coral Grill for day and buffet at night. If you love seafood like we do - its top notch - all you can eat fresh grilled lobster, all kinds of fresh shrimp, mussels, grouper, sushi, ceviche, etc...prepared so many different ways. If you are a meat eater....you won't starve - there is plenty of steak, chicken, duck.....the list goes on and on and sides, pizza, pasta stations, taco stations, salads and desserts are plentiful. There is something for everyone. I thought the selection for the kids was amazing...and all at their height on little food carts, soft serve ice cream, etc... All of the food, planning, etc...very well done! Drinks were all good too and we always tipped every time we ate or ordered drinks from the bar.

Perimeter of property: Yes it's huge but we didn't mind walking at all. We're active in our early 40s and took the shuttle to the shopping center once, then walked it the rest of the times. The resort is planned out well and they offer you a shuttle. If you're worried about being close to the beach or pool, just book that category and you'll be fine. We even walked out of the complex down to the Cenotes across the street - great experience by the way! Crystaline was really nice!

You can even walk out and wait on the side of the street for the local shuttle that runs to Playa del Carmen for about $4 US pp. rather than paying more for a cab. We did that and took the ferry over to Cozumel.

Cons: The major con was encountering many rude guests. No manners and would literally walk right into you as if you didn't exist. Many complainers as well - as with the woman who refused to eat salads because she was afraid of the water - seriously? She really missed out. I couldn't believe how rude some people were and how they treated and talked to the staff. I would imagine that some of the bad reviews came from that population so pay no attention to remarks like "nothing premium" or "helpless staff" - it's simply not true. Everyone works so hard and they want you to have a great time. If you have a bad attitude, well, you're on your own. I wouldn't want to serve or be nice to you either.

The other little con was that despite the fact that we left money for housekeeping every day, we always had to ask for a refill on the shower gel dispenser and for more washcloths - they didn't seem to have enough, even though we opted for every other day towel service. But that was minor - our room was always sparkling clean - they did a really great job and kept the water stocked as well.

Overall, the place was great, upscale resort, it's equally great for couples and families - there is something for everyone, the grounds are beautiful, staff is very friendly and I can go on! Thank you Barceló for a stress-free, relaxing vacation! We're thinking of bringing our kids next time!

Room Tip: Third floor corner room was really nice!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank callysyd
Dear callysyd,

Please allow me to star by saying.. thank you.
It is have being one of the most nicest and sincere review I have read. This has been posted in our employees board, we normally focus on what we might have failed, but at times it is so nice to read, and see that we have accomplished another nice vacation.

Muchas Gracias,

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,918 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,612 reviews
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,169 reviews
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!