“Standard room and Staff”

Catalonia Yucatan Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mission, Canada
“Standard room and Staff”
Reviewed 16 March 2011

The standard room is just a room no coffee maker or alarm clock! You have to keep phoning the front desk for the time tried to up grade but no rooms. The front end staff is VERY VERY unhelpfull!!! The rest of the staff is excellent. You have to pay for internet at a rate of 6.50 for half an hour. The grounds are nice beach excellent but you have to put a towel first thing in the morning if you want around the main pool or under a beach umbrella. The food is okay but with only one buffett the choices got boring but the staff in there work hard. Our room was very tired looking with peeling paint on the bathroom door the shower sprays all over the floor the phone worked only if you wiggled the phone cord Room # 2024 I would go back only for the kids but travelling with aldults NO WAY!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
cataloniarivieramaya, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Dear valued guest,

We would like to thank you for your comments.We take our clients opinio so seriously as they help us to improve our service everyday.

Let me confirm that we will work on the issues you comment so you can be positively surprise on your next visit.

Best regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Polish first
Sicamous, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I need help from guests who were at Catalonia Yucatan/Catalonia Riviera Maya on March 9, 2011. We were there to attend a wedding at Dreams resort next door. On Wednesday March 9, 2011 I know I had my camera in my room before we left the room. We were staying in room 6126. I sat right outside our room in the sitting area waiting for my husband. We left our room went straight to the buffet for breakfast, used the washroom outside the buffet before meeting our friends at Dreams resort to take a cab into Playa Del Carmen. In Playa Del Carmen I realized I didn't have my camera. I didn't worry thinking it will be in my room and I must have forgotten to put it in the camera case which I had hanging around my neck. I don't remember taking my camera out in the cab, we were squished in the back and there was room to barely breathe. The places it may have been left is my room (staff says there was no camera in the room, I don't like to accuse the staff of taking it but it is the last place I remember having it out of it's case), the sitting area on the 2nd floor outside room 6126, the buffet where we had breakfast (If we left it on our table I think the staff would have picked it up quickly because they are very attentive and quick to clean and serve guests. I also used the washroom outside the buffet. I am very upset about loosing the camera but more important is the pictures of our 2nd ever vacation and the pictures of the wedding. If anyone can be of any help please contact me at csutherland55@hotmail.com. I will write a review for the hotel in the next day or 2. We did enjoy out stay at Catalonia in spite of some misadventures, losing my camera, falling on a sidewalk, cutting my knee open on the rocks. : )

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

We thank you for your feedback. We are so sorry that you lost your camera and the pictures of this trip as well.

We will forward this email to the lost & found Department and really hope it comes out.

Sincerely yours,

Hotel Manager.
Prince Edward County
Reviewed 16 March 2011

We travelled from Toronto the week of Jan 18-25, 2011.

Flight was with Air Transat, nothing to complain about - turbulence can't be helped!

Arrived at the Cancun airport on time, line ups were long. Traveled with my husband and one other couple, Was pestered walking through the airport time shares etc...but was prewarned of this, so we just kept walking until we found our rep (Nolitours) and found which bus to board.

Bus ride to airport was fine, long but fine. Corona for sale for $3 on the bus.

Check in was LONG process. Only 2 staff working behind the counter and it was very painstaking slow. Was offered a fruity non alcoholic cocktail while standing in line. Porters very friendly and helpful with luggage. Finally was our turn - we had booked a privileged suite with the plunge pool and king bed. We were pleasantly surprised when they said they had upgraded us to a one bedroom privileged suite with a plunge pool.
The only downfall was we had to wait 3hr for our room to be ready. We hung out at the PURE bar by the beach and enjoyed cocktails until our room was ready, after we ate lunch.

Room was incredible - only negative was lack of privacy in our plunge pool to the walkway. Other than that, it was fabulous. Computer and mini bar, coffee, tea, treats available to privileged guests every day as well in the lobby of our building, which was central to all the privileged buildings.

Food on the most part was great. Ate at the Japanese, Steakhouse, Italian, and twice at the Tapas restaurants. Best was the Japanese. Creperia was to die for but always very busy and was hard to get a spot to sit.

Beach was great for snorkeling, easy to walk around the coral to get in the water. Never lacked for a lounger at any time of the day, either around the pools or beach or lagoon area.

Staff was all very friendly and more than accommodating throughout our stay, although we never asked much of them. Resort was always clean and well cared for.

Nightly entertainment seemed to lack compared to other resorts we have stayed at. Line up kept changing, on a daily basis.

Did 3 excursions on our own
1. took the public bus to the ruins in Tulum. Cost $3 each way on the bus and $5 to get in. Was well worth it.

2. took a cab into Playa del Carmen - $15each way to 5th Street.

3. took a cab into Akumal Beach (15$ each way) to swim with the sea turtles. This was by far the best part of the whole trip. Would have gone but more but ran out of time:(

The three guys went fishing one afternoon - 80 bucks each but didn't catch much due to the time in the season unfortunately

Walked several times to the Marina area, nice to walk around and check the little shops out and see the dolphins etc...nice to feel safe and wander around, looking at the different homes in the gated community . To walk from the resort to get to the main road took about 25minutes at a leisurely pace.

Spa was also very nice and relaxing. Spent one afternoon there when it was cloudy out

Will post some pictures shortly.

Email if you have any questions

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cinpicton
Dear valued guest,

We truly appreciate such nice comments. We are very pleased to hear that you spent a great time with us.

Be sure that we will take your critic very seriously in order to improve our service.

It will be a real pleasure to receive you in the near future.

Best regards,

Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2011

I would like to let everyone know of my experience at this hotel. My husband and I booked a week in at this resort on Feb 27-Mar6/11 with some friends. We found the hotel nice. The basic rooms are quite plain and there is not even a clock in the room. The rooms are kept very clean though. The food was good/average. The weather was excellent. The grounds were kept very well and all the staff were quite pleasant.

I had a spa appointment booked for the friday of our stay. I went to the appointment and its their policy to pay before the treatment which I did. I paid at the front desk with my visa and entered my pin as per usual. A male and a female were at the front desk assisting me. I was escorted to the womens room by the male and he provided me with a locker with a key and gave instructions. UNKNOWN TO ME 17 minutes after my transaction was put through on my visa when I was having my spa treatment my visa was taken from my locker and the staff proceeded to walk down to the bank machine and take out money 4 times. First time they took out 1000 paso's, then 500, then another 1000 and then lastly 4000 paso's. I had no knowledge that this had occured. They proceeded to place my visa back in my locker so when I returned to the change room all was as I left it. This was all unkown to me until I checked my visa statement online when I returned to my home (Canada). Therefore my visa has been canceled and still awaiting a new one. All my regular bill payments that were charged to my visa monthly had to be contacted.

Now I can understand when you leave your resort you have to be cautious and I can understand to be cautious when the rooms are being cleaned but I do not understand how their management is allowing their employees to use the resort for criminal offences. I would imagine I'm not the first that they have done this too or the last person it will happen too. This experience has totally wrecked our vacation and what I think of Mexico. This was my first time travelling to this Country and this has discouraged my travel back to the Country. These employees appear to be so nice to your face but obviously that is just their way to assume our trust. IT WORKS.

The thing that really upsets me is that they will get away with this and do it again to someone else!!

Due to this experience I would never stay at this resort or recommend it to anyone. STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK !!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Macey1_11
cataloniarivieramaya, Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Dear valued guest,

We truly appreciate your feedback . I would like to say that we all feel so surprised about this situation because it is completely unusual.

Be sure that we will take care and will act accordingly.

Sincerely yours,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2011

The location of this resort was great! The beach was beautiful and they have a private lagoon with a lot of beautiful fish. The rooms were clean and the resort grounds were kept in great shape. The bar staff are amazing, make sure you visit Luiz at the Pure Bar and Magdalina at the bar by the theater. Pure bar also has a great view and nice to sit at in the evening.
A few tips: there are no clocks in the room, wise to bring one from home or make sure you have a watch. TV has a clock but not often correct. You can rent one from the resort but at a price. Upgrade to a room with a bar fridge, well worth it. We spent more money on bottled water from the store, they have water to re-fill any bottles you have but it isn't the same...clean yes but taste different. The buffet was the same EVER night and every breakfast. If you like variety they do not have it. The a la carte meals were great but the booking system needs some work. Be sure to book ASAP when you get there to avoid disappointment.
Pool/activity staff are fun, energetic and great at what they do. They are not bothersome when asking you to participate in activities.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, 12 March 2011
Dear valued guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for forwarding us your comments as the opinion of our guests is very important to us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

We regret not have been able to fulfill your expectations regarding your stay with us. Be sure that myself, my colleages and all the hotel staff will take your comments very seriosly in order to surprise you positively in your next visit to our hotels.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Location
This was our first trip to Mexico and will not be the last. This location is superb in being close to Akumal, Tulum and Playa del Carmen for half day excursions. Puerto Aventuras is a controlled single access town with many resorts within. One piece of advice is to explore the town early by bicycles availabable at the hotel. Neither the hotel nor tour company promote this as they clearly want you to buy excursions. Shopping for gifts was better overall than in Playa del Carmen (tacky and overpriced with a few exceptions hard to find). The few shops and restaurants in Puerto Aventuras were much better!
Beach
The Catalonia Yucatan Beach is on the beach unlike its sister (Catalonia Mayan Riviera which is inland a bit). There is a reasonably long beach mostly sandy with some rocky bits and framed at both ends by rock outcroppings. Snorkelling at the north ends yields fish and photos for those not wanting to go far. There are lots of loungers but as is the case everywhere, people tie them up early and don't use them most of the day.
The Food
This was amongst the best buffets we've encountered anywhere. The menu was fresh, varied and too inviting in the 2 general restaurants shared by the resorts.. We found service best in La Brisa. Of the 5 specialty restaurants, the gourmet Mexican Alebrijes was the best - superb cuisine. Didn't even try the italian and japanese but went back to Alebrijes.
The Spa
Very nice!
The Rooms
We arrived late on a Friday night and got the last room - lower level, no view, small and noisy. We complained gently the next morning and were promised a change on Sunday as guests left. The new room had a great beach view and was much more to expectations. The responsiveness of staff was good.
Overall: Solid 4 star with some 5 star features.
Nice mix of guests: young families, university students, couples of all ages, wedding parties just about each day.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing us your comments about your stay in Catalonia Hotels. That makes us feel we are complying with our main goal: Having happy and relaxed guests!

We will make extensive such nice words to all the hotel staff so they can feel motivated and proud of their jobs.

We hope having you again soon!

Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Overall an amazing place

Very clean rooms, amazing staff and service. The buffet was o.k. - the a la carts were great especially the Mexican

The night activities are nothing to write home about and the disco is a joke but we would rather get up early, enjoy the day and relax at night so no problem for us. There is a bus trip to some local bars but not much at the hotel itself. They did have Salsa dancing at the Tequila bar one night which was super fun.

The beach is very rock but fantastic for snorkeling - the lagoon is heaven on earth and there are 5 pools for swimming - all nice and clean.

This resort is within a gated community and I have never felt so safe out of Canada. The area is beautiful with really cute (but over priced) shops and bars - even dolphins :-) You can take the bikes off the resort within the gated area of Puerto Adventuras and explore.

The activities and animation staff are great - you can keep busy with spanish lessons, salsa dancing, snorkeling and tons of daily activities or just relax by the pool or enjoy the breeze off the ocean.

A fabulous trip - I would not hesitate to go back

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Dear valued guest,

Let us thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear that all the hotel staff comply with the purpose of making you feel relaxed and happy. It means that you spent a great time with us.

We are sure that we will have the pleasure of your visit again very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destination
#72 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!