“Mexico is beautiful, hotel was ok but service meh.”

Catalonia Yucatan Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Ok first off were pretty easy people to please and dont really complain about much. We can make the best of a bad situation, but there are a couple things i need to share:

1. They give you 3 A'la carte tickets for the week (You cannot sign up ahead of time in the lobby for what restaurant you want, you must go stand in line an hour before they open to reserve your seat for the night or miss out. ie: the Mikado had a line up starting about 1.5 hours before they even opened. This is not what i want to spend my time vacationing doing standing in line for a restaurant to reserve my time to eat)

2. The safe is extra $$. ( When we got there the guy at the front desk said that the safe would cost 3$us a day, we said meh ok.. well end of week came our checkout was 6 am and we were checking out and i gave the guy $21 us and he told us that he doesnt accept american money for the safe it would have to be Pesos or a credit card. This pissed me off because i had no pesos and my credit card was packed up. I feel that when we checked in we should have been told if they didnt accept american currency) I think its a bs way to get our credit card on file.

3. The creperie was the best thing about this place, milkshakes and crepes everyday mmmm (customize them Cajeta with ice cream :)

4. The beach was small but nice, lots of snorkelling and plenty of fish to see, not so great for watersports ie: catamaran etc.. to many coral

5. Chichen Izza was beautiful but it is a 6 hour bus ride to and from.

6. Getting into town is easy theres cabs everywhere and just make sure you preset a price before getting in.. 5th Avenue had everything we needed prolbably the best shopping there

7. Bring your own watershoes (6$ at walmart or 25$ anywhere in PDC)

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TorontoMike1978
cataloniarivieramaya, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2011

Dear valued guest,

We appreciate your critics as they help us to see our weakness and improve them as much as needed.

Due to the time our clients spend doing a line for reserving dinner, we are working on it in order to find out a better way to reserve a la carte restaurants reservations.

Overall, we can say that you spent a good time with us and we hope you can return so we can have the chance to surprise you positevely.

There are newer reviews for Catalonia Yucatan Beach

Reviewed 17 March 2011

Definitely worth spending the little extra to get a Priviledged Room. Doesn't get you closer to the beach, but the upgrade is worth it. Beautiful room with great amenities.
Buffets offer good quality, good variety and the wait stuff are energetic, pleasant and always wanting to please.
The a la carte restaurants were good. The creperie was a nice touch.
The staff in general were all fantastic. From the front desk to the entertainment staff, they were all trying to make sure people had a good time.
For the best drinks during the day, be sure to go to the Pure Chill Out bar on the beach when Francisco is working. Consistantly great drinks. Try the Blue Lagoon, my personal favourite and he also makes a really good Mojito.
Great snorkelling right out in front of the main part of the beach, you won't be disappointed. If you are just going to wade in be sure to wear water shoes.
While you are there be sure to check out the Rio Secreto (Cave Tour), not part of the package but worth the time and money.
Took bikes and rode around the marina to see the dolphins and unless you wan to swim with them it was all free.
Overall had a fantastic time and we didn't want to leave!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

Dear valued guest,

We are so pleased to hear that you spent such a great time with us! That makes us feel so proud of being part of this chain hotel.

It will be a real pleasure for us to have you again soon.

Reviewed 16 March 2011

We spent the extra money. T get the privileged suite, and it was well worth it. I spoke to other couples who also had the privileged suite but did not have the same amenities that we did. For example, one couple did not have a sitting area, and another didn't have a jacuzzi, but we had both! Other than only having one tv instead of two ( not that we need two tv's anyway! ) it was exactly as advertised.
The food was the worst thing at the resort.. But still, it wasn't that bad. The buffet always had something good. I wouldn't recommend the steak house (although we heard that the New York steak is good), nor would i recommend the Italian, our friends got veal that was still raw, and my pasta was quite bland. But the Japanese and the Tapas were both quite delicious. The creperie was the best? We went the almost every day. Definitely try the mocha milkshake! Oh.. And if you are used to Starbucks or Tim Hortons, I wouldn't recommend the coffee at the buffet, or in the rooms for that matter. It tastes pretty horrible. However, we discovered that you can order cappuccino - definitely the way to go!!
Overall we had a great time at the resort and we would recommend it to others as well. We are in our 20's and there seemed to be a good mix of age groups - we made friends easily.
Overall we had a

• Stayed: March 2011

Dear valued guest,

We truly appreciate your feedback. Let me comment that we will take your opinion so seriously in order to improve our weaknesses due to the coffe and the food in general.

On the other side, we are really glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and your overall impression was good.

It will be a pleasure for we all to receive you again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 March 2011

The standard room is just a room no coffee maker or alarm clock! You have to keep phoning the front desk for the time tried to up grade but no rooms. The front end staff is VERY VERY unhelpfull!!! The rest of the staff is excellent. You have to pay for internet at a rate of 6.50 for half an hour. The grounds are nice beach excellent but you have to put a towel first thing in the morning if you want around the main pool or under a beach umbrella. The food is okay but with only one buffett the choices got boring but the staff in there work hard. Our room was very tired looking with peeling paint on the bathroom door the shower sprays all over the floor the phone worked only if you wiggled the phone cord Room # 2024 I would go back only for the kids but travelling with aldults NO WAY!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

Dear valued guest,

We would like to thank you for your comments.We take our clients opinio so seriously as they help us to improve our service everyday.

Let me confirm that we will work on the issues you comment so you can be positively surprise on your next visit.

Reviewed 16 March 2011

I need help from guests who were at Catalonia Yucatan/Catalonia Riviera Maya on March 9, 2011. We were there to attend a wedding at Dreams resort next door. On Wednesday March 9, 2011 I know I had my camera in my room before we left the room. We were staying in room 6126. I sat right outside our room in the sitting area waiting for my husband. We left our room went straight to the buffet for breakfast, used the washroom outside the buffet before meeting our friends at Dreams resort to take a cab into Playa Del Carmen. In Playa Del Carmen I realized I didn't have my camera. I didn't worry thinking it will be in my room and I must have forgotten to put it in the camera case which I had hanging around my neck. I don't remember taking my camera out in the cab, we were squished in the back and there was room to barely breathe. The places it may have been left is my room (staff says there was no camera in the room, I don't like to accuse the staff of taking it but it is the last place I remember having it out of it's case), the sitting area on the 2nd floor outside room 6126, the buffet where we had breakfast (If we left it on our table I think the staff would have picked it up quickly because they are very attentive and quick to clean and serve guests. I also used the washroom outside the buffet. I am very upset about loosing the camera but more important is the pictures of our 2nd ever vacation and the pictures of the wedding. If anyone can be of any help please contact me at csutherland55@hotmail.com. I will write a review for the hotel in the next day or 2. We did enjoy out stay at Catalonia in spite of some misadventures, losing my camera, falling on a sidewalk, cutting my knee open on the rocks. : )

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear valued guest,

We thank you for your feedback. We are so sorry that you lost your camera and the pictures of this trip as well.

We will forward this email to the lost & found Department and really hope it comes out.

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed 16 March 2011

We travelled from Toronto the week of Jan 18-25, 2011.

Flight was with Air Transat, nothing to complain about - turbulence can't be helped!

Arrived at the Cancun airport on time, line ups were long. Traveled with my husband and one other couple, Was pestered walking through the airport time shares etc...but was prewarned of this, so we just kept walking until we found our rep (Nolitours) and found which bus to board.

Bus ride to airport was fine, long but fine. Corona for sale for $3 on the bus.

Check in was LONG process. Only 2 staff working behind the counter and it was very painstaking slow. Was offered a fruity non alcoholic cocktail while standing in line. Porters very friendly and helpful with luggage. Finally was our turn - we had booked a privileged suite with the plunge pool and king bed. We were pleasantly surprised when they said they had upgraded us to a one bedroom privileged suite with a plunge pool.
The only downfall was we had to wait 3hr for our room to be ready. We hung out at the PURE bar by the beach and enjoyed cocktails until our room was ready, after we ate lunch.

Room was incredible - only negative was lack of privacy in our plunge pool to the walkway. Other than that, it was fabulous. Computer and mini bar, coffee, tea, treats available to privileged guests every day as well in the lobby of our building, which was central to all the privileged buildings.

Food on the most part was great. Ate at the Japanese, Steakhouse, Italian, and twice at the Tapas restaurants. Best was the Japanese. Creperia was to die for but always very busy and was hard to get a spot to sit.

Beach was great for snorkeling, easy to walk around the coral to get in the water. Never lacked for a lounger at any time of the day, either around the pools or beach or lagoon area.

Staff was all very friendly and more than accommodating throughout our stay, although we never asked much of them. Resort was always clean and well cared for.

Nightly entertainment seemed to lack compared to other resorts we have stayed at. Line up kept changing, on a daily basis.

Did 3 excursions on our own
1. took the public bus to the ruins in Tulum. Cost $3 each way on the bus and $5 to get in. Was well worth it.

2. took a cab into Playa del Carmen - $15each way to 5th Street.

3. took a cab into Akumal Beach (15$ each way) to swim with the sea turtles. This was by far the best part of the whole trip. Would have gone but more but ran out of time:(

The three guys went fishing one afternoon - 80 bucks each but didn't catch much due to the time in the season unfortunately

Walked several times to the Marina area, nice to walk around and check the little shops out and see the dolphins etc...nice to feel safe and wander around, looking at the different homes in the gated community . To walk from the resort to get to the main road took about 25minutes at a leisurely pace.

Spa was also very nice and relaxing. Spent one afternoon there when it was cloudy out

Will post some pictures shortly.

Email if you have any questions

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cinpicton

Dear valued guest,

We truly appreciate such nice comments. We are very pleased to hear that you spent a great time with us.

Be sure that we will take your critic very seriously in order to improve our service.

It will be a real pleasure to receive you in the near future.

Reviewed 15 March 2011

I would like to let everyone know of my experience at this hotel. My husband and I booked a week in at this resort on Feb 27-Mar6/11 with some friends. We found the hotel nice. The basic rooms are quite plain and there is not even a clock in the room. The rooms are kept very clean though. The food was good/average. The weather was excellent. The grounds were kept very well and all the staff were quite pleasant.

I had a spa appointment booked for the friday of our stay. I went to the appointment and its their policy to pay before the treatment which I did. I paid at the front desk with my visa and entered my pin as per usual. A male and a female were at the front desk assisting me. I was escorted to the womens room by the male and he provided me with a locker with a key and gave instructions. UNKNOWN TO ME 17 minutes after my transaction was put through on my visa when I was having my spa treatment my visa was taken from my locker and the staff proceeded to walk down to the bank machine and take out money 4 times. First time they took out 1000 paso's, then 500, then another 1000 and then lastly 4000 paso's. I had no knowledge that this had occured. They proceeded to place my visa back in my locker so when I returned to the change room all was as I left it. This was all unkown to me until I checked my visa statement online when I returned to my home (Canada). Therefore my visa has been canceled and still awaiting a new one. All my regular bill payments that were charged to my visa monthly had to be contacted.

Now I can understand when you leave your resort you have to be cautious and I can understand to be cautious when the rooms are being cleaned but I do not understand how their management is allowing their employees to use the resort for criminal offences. I would imagine I'm not the first that they have done this too or the last person it will happen too. This experience has totally wrecked our vacation and what I think of Mexico. This was my first time travelling to this Country and this has discouraged my travel back to the Country. These employees appear to be so nice to your face but obviously that is just their way to assume our trust. IT WORKS.

The thing that really upsets me is that they will get away with this and do it again to someone else!!

Due to this experience I would never stay at this resort or recommend it to anyone. STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK !!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Macey1_11
cataloniarivieramaya, Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2011

Dear valued guest,

We truly appreciate your feedback . I would like to say that we all feel so surprised about this situation because it is completely unusual.

Be sure that we will take care and will act accordingly.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Catalonia Playa Maroma
#4 of 5 in Playa Maroma
Catalonia Royal Tulum
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Lupita
Hotel Riu Lupita
#78 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!