The best part of the resort was the entertainment staff and the premium suites that were available. The entertainment staff were and must be what keeps this resort alive. They were fun, friendly, warm and welcoming. They were also amazing with interacting with the kids. Thanks!! We upgraded to premium suites (8213) and the rooms were huge and beautiful. The beach is nice despite many people complaining about coral. Good snorkelling and fun to see and feed the variety of fish.
The a-la-carte at this place was a joke. You normally get 3 passes, we got 5 since we upgraded. When we got there many a-la-carte's were closed. Turns out they chose to leave many closed every night since they said hotel capacity was only at 40%.There had to have been near 1000 people.So a few nights when we were there, no a-la-carte's were open at all, other nights only one or two, and other nights restaurants were open that people were unaware of.Needless to say that when an a-la-carte was open the line ups for the popular ones were massive and had people waiting 1-2 hours just to get in, even at 9:30 at night.On our 7 night stay we only managed to get into 3 a-la-carte's despite having upgraded.
Restaurant service at the a-la-carte's was poor at best.Many times we had to ask 4 or 5 times to get a high chair.We even resorted to going and getting it ourselves, which of course prompted quick action by the servers.You would think that with hotel occupancy being low according to management, the service would be plentiful.Servers were slow to get to your table, slow to bring your food, slow to re-fill drinks.
Another big sour note was the fitness facility personnel. The facility ins't great if you are a fitness buff, a few cardio machines and a few cable machines and a few dumbells up to 50lbs. Every morning we would work out at 7am when it was quiet.The first day my wife came in when I was almost done working out with the kids to say hi and hung out a bit.Staff said it was dangerous and said they had to leave or sign a waiver.I signed a waiver because my children have been raised in gyms across canada, including our own.We thought all was well.A day or two later I was in there again working out when my wife and kids came in to say hi.A facility worker started shouting at her before she even entered the facility and told her not to enter.My wife proceeded to tell her that we signed a waiver and she was only coming in to talk.The facility worker followed her in and proceeded to harass her until she got to where I was. I was trying to talk to my wife while this worker rudely was trying to interrupt and tell her to get out.I asked her a few times to quiet down because I was trying to have a conversation.The worker finally threatened to remove the children physically.Our toddler was in my wife's arms and our 4 year old was standing by her side.I told her she was rude and better quit threatening so she proceeded to call security. When security arrived we were informed that the waiver they had us sign actually did not mean anything and was not worth the paper they printed it on. The facility worker proceeded to tell us then how rude we were. WOW, what professionalism??!
On our 2nd last day we noticed our 32GB Iphone was gone.We notified hotel concierge and they took a statement and said they would contact us with their findings.Still nothing to date except an additional $850 cost to staying at this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4 star Catalonia Yucatan Beach Resort & Spa is located in the heart of the Riviera Maya, on the private estate of Puerto Aventuras. Located on the beautiful Mexican Caribbean coast, this resort is directly on the beach and offers a comfortable and peaceful atmosphere, perfect for a relaxing break. This mystical area boasts many Mayan archaeological ruins that include Chichen Itza, Tulum and Tikal as well as the natural attractions of Xel-Ha, Cozumel and Xcaret. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Southall Travel so you can book your Catalonia Yucatan Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Aventuras