“Awesome Time”

Catalonia Yucatan Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 10 July 2013

It has been 6 months since my girlfriend and I came back from our holiday. There hasn't been a day that we haven't talked about going back! We had the best time ever at this resort and recommend to all our friends. The resort is small but that is what makes it so good, the service,beach, food, pools, bars, entertainment are all the best! What makes this resort special are the staff and guests, every single staff member was so friendly and all the guests were so nice, we met so many new friends there! Coming back in January 2014, can't wait.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JeffandTerry
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Dear JeffandTerry,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments.

It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services and remember us after 6 months!!. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.

It will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again next January!!

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,127)

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Our stay was on June 14 - 21. It was our first trip to Mexico although we have travelled most of the Caribbean resorts.
We landed in Cancun and it was a long drive to Riveria Maya, it took us about 1.5 hours after a 4 hours flight, so just imagine the frustration, anyhow, they sell beers on the bust, so just relax and swallow some beers until you reach.
Check in was a bit slow as it has only one person at the front desk against a bus load of people.
Pools was amazing as you get to share both the Catalonia Yucatan and Catalonia Maya beaches and restaurant.
The staff is amazing no worries there.
The beach is rocky, I would advise anyone to walk with swim shoes and we saw people with cuts on the feet and sprain toes, otherwise to that the water is clear and clean.
Al a Carte is amazing, we enjoyed the Japanese food the most. The Mexican a la carte is also good.

Recommendation:
Please walk with your own drink glass and those we got from the bar are old and beaten up. Also please keep all your personal belongings locked up and safe at ALL times.

Room Tip: If you love shades on your balcony all day it is good to choose rooms in the 1100 series. Its also c...
1  Thank Timber53
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

Dear timber53,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

We have literally just flown back from this hotel this morning. The hotel itself is beautiful, always kept clean and good facilities.its a big complex and i would def recommend anyone to come to this hotel.

The sea is not as bad as the other reviews said, it is a little rocky in the water but we didnt need shoes for it and went in there pretty much everyday.

I have no complaints about any of the restaurants, the food was lovely everywhere we ate, the specialist restraurants were also lovely and nothing to complain about. The staff in the restaurants were always happy and making sure everything was fine all the time.

the pools were lovely and Orlando the man who cleans the pool was always chatty and happy and was one of my favourite staff members. Georgio at the margarita bar was also excellent and before you finished your first drink he would have another one ready for you. Also Suemi (sue) the animation team member was also very nice.

we only saw one show at the theater because it was so hot in there we couldnt bare it but i heard great reviews about the shows.

the only negative comment i would have would be the club on site, the music needs to be more updated but other than that there is not one complaint i had.

We hired the bikes for a while and went down to the marina which isnt even 5 mins away, saw all the dolphins and manatees, worth going to.

If you want to go here i suggest you dont go with Thomas Cook, no entertainment on the plane so a long boring flight with no tv or radio and only being given one complimentary drink to say sorry!! also our flight was delayed by 3 hours and our coach pick up time had been changed from 10:30 till 13:30 and nobody bothered to tell us or put a notice up so wasted our time and we could have been enjoying the last of the sun, we will be writing to Thomas Cook though.

4  Thank Sophie M

Dear Sophie M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us. It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico

Thank you for your comment about the Music in the disco, we will be passing this information to the relevent department.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

My wife and I spent a week at the Catalonia Yucatan ending June 9th.The experience was terrific considering mother nature did everything in her power to ruin the trip.It rain for 31/2 days solid but it didn't wreck our vacation.Met many great people from all over the world and we made the most of a goofy situation.The resort is small by very convenient with a great layout.You did have walk to the sister resort for the a la carte restaurants and the shows which was only a 5 min walk.You could also leave the resort and wander Puerto Adventuras without worrying about your safety.It is a gated community with nice homes, a lovely Marina district with shops & restaurants.It also houses the aquatic animals with a Marine show.
The big plus in this whole experience was the staff.They did an amazing job of keeping the resort safe and all the patrons happy as possible.The torrential downpours were pretty constant .But staff would not let the rain spoil everyone's vacation with their constant smiles and great service.The rain passed and things went back to normal without missing a beat.Management should be very proud of their people as they were truly amazing and we thank them for their efforts.

2  Thank Patti D

Dear 2wholuv2travel,

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our staff members, who work to make you vacation experience as memorable as possible.

We hope you will decide to visit us again in the future,
Best Regards,

Reviewed 23 June 2013

booked this trip last min and wow what a gem, had a great time. food was nice, and weather was perfect.
only complaint was the disco kept playing the same music every night. it was like they were just playing a playlist. but who goes somewhere like this for the disco haha
great trip :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank timothy g

Dear timothy g,

Reviewed 22 June 2013

This resort is kind of partnered up with the Catalonia Riviera Maya, as they share many of the same facilities, so I will be posting this exact review for both resorts. I had booked the Priviliged package at the Catalonia Yucatan, checked in at the lobby in the Catalonia Yucatan, but my room was situated on the Catalonia Riviera Maya side. With the Privileged package, I was able to use the computer, for free, in the special Privilege hut located on the Riviera Maya side near the pool. There was even a fridge filled with beverages and fruit. It was really nice.

ROOM: The room was beautiful!! As I said, I upgraded to the Privileged package. Upon arrival in the room, there was a huge bottle of tequila, a mini flashlight keychain, a bag of chips, a bag of peanuts, a welcome letter, bottles of water, and a fridge fully stocked with soft drinks, water, and beer. The room was clean, the bathroom was all marble and beautiful, lots of towels, and toiletry items. The closet was big and there were lots of hangers, as well as 2 robes. There were 2 beach towels waiting for me in the room, also. I was in building 1, in room 1024. It backed onto the building beside it, and I had a view of the ramp leading up to the Riviera Maya lobby. The resort is not super huge, but big enough that everyone was spaced out around the resort. My room was close to the pools and buffet on the Riviera Maya side.

POOLS: The pools were beautiful. There were 3 on the Riviera Maya side: one smaller one with a swim up bar, called Margaritas, another smaller pool where water sports like volleyball were played, and a larger one where the Animacion staff held many of their activities, and where they did scuba diving in the pool. I spent most of my time at these pools, and loved them. During my last day there I spent the entire afternoon bartending at the Margaritas swim up bar, and it was awesome. The bartenders were so cool, and their manager was so amazing for letting me bartend!! The pools on the Yucatan side were beautiful, but I didn't swim in them. The bar on the Yucatan side is called Tequila, and the bartenders there were good too. There were always empty loungers available throughout the day.

BEACH: I didn't spend much time at the beach, but it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Yes there are rocks in it, but it's swimmable still. There's a neat lagoon kind of area where there are tons of cool fish to look at. I went snorkelling there on my last day first thing in the morning, and it was really neat. There were plenty of loungers at all times of the day. The beach bar was awesome, and all of the bartenders were very helpful. It was located on the Yucatan side.

FOOD: The buffet restaurant, Las Brisas, was really good. It was on the Riviera Maya side. I loved the pasta, and there were all kinds of awesome pastries for breakfast. The omelettes were really good, as was everything else. The buffet restaurant on the Yucatan side was called El Mercado, but I never ate there. The a la carte restaurants were amazing, and all of the staff were wonderful. I ate at the Italian restaurant, the steakhouse, and twice at the Japanese restaurant. You don't have to make reservations, you just show up (even though Joel did make reservations for us at 2 of the restaurants, which I will mention in the staff section), which is good because you can eat at the same restaurant more than once if you really liked it. The first night I went to the Japanese restaurant, I forgot my ticket that you have to give the staff, and they said it was fine, and that I could bring it to them another time. The Japanese restaurant was soooo good, I definitely recommend it!! The creperie was amazing. It's located on the roof of the Las Brisas buffet restaurant. They serve crepes, milkshakes, ice cream, fancy coffees and things like that. They even made a crepe for me that wasn't on the menu, just because I asked for it. For lunch, I ate at the grill/snack bar, which was located in the Bomboleo steakhouse. (it was a steakhouse at night, and beach/pool grill during the day, so you could wander in wearing your bathing suit for lunch). The food there was so good, and they had the best popcorn!!!!!

STAFF: THE STAFF WERE AMAZING!!! I want to say thank you to everyone who made my trip so memorable....Joel was so awesome, he let me work behind the Margaritas bar 3 different days, and even made reservations for my mom and I at the Bomboleo (steakhouse), and the Mikado (Japanese). The Animacion staff were awesome, especially Hugo!! Hugo was hilarious, and made my trip memorable. Pita, Mauricio, Jovani, and Sue were also awesome, and I had so much fun competing in the pool olympics. Armando the bartender was great, and went out of his way to make sure my mom and I were taken care of. He would come all the way over to where we were sitting, get our cups (we brought our own), fill them up for us, and bring them all the way back to us, when this isn't even what he was supposed to be doing. Gregorio at the Margaritas swim up bar was great, he let me work behind the bar with him and his partner, and was a lot of fun. Sophie at the Spa was so nice and friendly, and gave me a great discount when I booked my massage. Luis and Arturo gave us great service at Las Brisas, the buffet restaurant on the Riviera Maya side on our first night. They brought flowers to our table, and kept bringing us random drinks that we didn't order, but appreciated. They even made a special table for us, and sent other staff over to help us relocate to our new table, which was decorated with flowers and had a message spelled out in coffee beans. It was so nice, and we loved it. Thank you to everyone for the memorable trip!!

SPA: I booked a massage, and also got to use all of the other facilities at the spa, such as the aromatherapy pool, which was so beautiful, the sauna, steam room, and cold pool. There were snacks, and beverages there, and I received a glass of champagne after my massage. The spa was so beautiful, and the staff were very friendly. I highly recommend going for some sort of treatment!

I'm sure there many things I've left out, but feel free to message me for more details. I have nothing but good things to say about this resort, and had a great experience. I will definitely be returning to this resort!!!! I have a ton of pictures of the resort, but I put them all on Facebook, so if anyone is interested in seeing any pictures let me know.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
13  Thank skydive2327
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Dear Skydive2327,
It is great to know that you had a great time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and the staff, our main goal is to help you in order to make your stay enjoyable and memorable.
We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!
Hotel manager

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Me and my wife went here for our honeymoon. We had a wonderful time, the staff is very friendly, the several restaurants in the hotel have very good food.
This complex is very near playa del carmen, so you can simply take a taxi and go there.
The staff is always ready to help you with a smile on their faces.
The hotel had a lot of entertainment at night and featured a full day of activities if you wanted
The weaker point of the hotel is the buffet, after four days you will have tried everything.

Room Tip: don't stay on the ground floor if you are afraid of iguanas
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cybertmfer

Dear cybertmfer,
It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.
Yours sincerely

BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#99 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#11 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Colonial
Barcelo Maya Colonial
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!