“Family & Kids Resort.”

Catalonia Yucatan Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This would be a great hotel for a family or first time vacationer. We went as a couple and there just wasn't anything really for night entertainment. Overall it was an a pretty decent resort, I do have a few raves and rants though.
Room - Upgrading is a definite must. The basic room is "ok", but for the price and what you get for the upgrades it's definitely worth every penny. When you upgrade you also get the renovated rooms.
Buffet - was ok. Huge selection and two buffet restaurants, however we found that the food was really Americanized and the quality just wasn't there.
A la carte - Terrific! They all offer something different (including entertainment). Sadly no Spanish Coffee here :(
Daytime entertainment - Lots happening poolside for families, not so much for couples or singles.
Evening entertainment - They do have a disco but every night we went it was totally dead. This is not a place for young couples that want to party a little or for singles to meet people. The theater offers evening shows but there were incredibly corny and just not our thingl. We left each show within 15 minutes of it beginning. There just isn't much emphasis on evening entertainment at all.
Staff - Were incredible. Always very helpful & Friendly.
Other Bonuses - This resort is right in the Puerta Adventuras (Gated Marina), where there is great shopping, bars, food and sea life (including the dolphin adventures). We thoroughly enjoyed venturing off of the resort and exploring the Marina. The location of this resort is another bonus! We were very close to many tours/attractions.

Room Tip: Upgrading is key. Privileged Rooms are 100% the way to go for this resort.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jen780
Write a ReviewReviews (2,076)

Reviewed 24 December 2013

We have been to this resort now for 6 years.
This year we upgraded to a suite and was happy about that.
Esther and Alajandro at the buffet are outstanding and hard working. A pleasure to be served by them.
Samuel at the Mexican restaurant...well he just has flare for outstanding service.
We though were disappointed that the theme night seems to be gone. There used to be flags, etc. of the themed night and except for the Mexican night, there was nothing.
And the Mexican night...what a let down. Usually that was a high lite at the buffet. Not anymore. There was hardly any new Mexican foods there. There used to be a server carving meat to make tortillas with, and other different stuff...that is all gone.
The Italian restaurant is still lacking. Lacking in flavor of meals, and service. I look always at the reviews, and it wasn't getting the greatest review, but you know food can be subjective, so we went. Only once. The reviews were not lying.
Went to the Tapas for the first time in a few years. The reviews were up, so we thought we would try it again. Once, that was enough.....sigh. When they first opened up, there was a special drink menu and the food was excellent. The special drink menu is gone, and the food...it was o.k. I would have been mad had I have to pay $15 each if we didn't have the priviledge bracelet.
Speaking of priviledge, who thought up the idea that the chill out bar should be for priviledge people only? Yes, you can not get a drink there without the 'special' bracelet, but they do not enforce that only priviledge people can sit there. The booze is no better than the rest of the place, so what the heck?
Also they have changed the bar upstairs. You can not get a window seat to watch the ocean as that is all sectioned off and there is a different lounge behind the bar now (confusing?) that only club members can use. So the bar upstairs is now much, much smaller. What the heck, who thought of that one?
The creperie has a new larger cover over it, but is still closed if it rains, but has lots of light now to see the menu, lol. The girls serving you were excellent.
We had lots of hot water, but someone we met that was staying on the Yucatan side had cold water for 4 days. Not warm, not lukewarm, cold. And it didn't matter what time of day they would have a shower, or try to shower. They did complain, and someone came and fixed it, but said that the next day it would be cold again. What? I would have demanded another room, but the room above theirs, a friend was staying in, and they didn't have hot water either. Shame on the resort.
Will we come back? Don't really know. We have come to this resort these past years because of the diving. We dive with Aquanauts in Puerto Aventuras and love the shop.
We are actually thinking of renting a condo next year. The quality is going down, slowly, but surely. We have come to really like some of the staff as they go the 'extra mile' in service, but that alone can't compensate for some of the other things.
We shall see.....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan B
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This place is great for families and a great value. The rooms are spacious enough, the beach is nice, the food is good and the people are so friendly. Most importantly it is safe. There is security constantly walking around. They also have good alcohol available all the time.

I will definitely come back with my family or as a couple in the future.

I wish they had a bit more variety at the buffet but it was still good enough.

Room Tip: I wouldn't bother with the privileged suites unless you have the money for it, go for it. We bar...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Khirstin
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2015

Dear Khirstin,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments.

It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.

We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome you once again!

Sincerely

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 22 December 2013

On arrival you can upgrade the room ,we were tempted but hey I sleep in it so not worth the cost unless its a special occasion the standard room does the business , mind your talking 50 US Dollars per Night for the Privileged Room.
As both hotels are conjoined I didn't until the second full day realise I was walking around the sister hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya as that's where all the a la carte restaurants are. Mikado the Japanese restaurant main course is cooked on a hot plate in front of you we enjoyed this and went twice. Terrace Tapas Bar is the only restaurant you pay for we had the Lobster at $35 US
one complaint the tasty bit the claws were removed . Alebrijes (Mexican) superb lots of choice and described by the waiters when required. Bellavista (Steak) a lovely cut of meat but a small portion . Bellavista (Italian) we didn't go there but didn't hear a negative report. All the A La Carte
restaurants start at 17.00 until 22.30. Although its first come first to sit if its full the staff will give a time to return if its full. The main Buffet restaurants are La Brisa at the Yucatan side small and less choice or El Mercado which is busier and has a good choice of food. Drink is fine Baileys called Faikneys (I think) tastes like the real thing the Lager is also fine and I didn't have a problem with the wine. Entertainment although during the day they work hard around The Maya at night its "Cheesey" and more fore the younger market. My main complaint is the last time I stayed in Mexico the hotel I stayed at had a shuttle bus to 5th Avenue here nothing a 235$ Mexican by taxi both ways as this hotel is out in the sticks. Safety Deposit box $3 US a night so that's okay but our electrics in our box had a mind of its own. Rooms very clean couldn't fault. In all for a late deal it was fine even with inclement weather

Room Tip: don't upgrade unless its a special occasion
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank colin601
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Colin601

First of all we would like to thank you for writing and choosing our Hotel and I would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the most importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

We hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Sincerely
Hotel manager

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

This is my first time to Mexico and so glad I did . My bf and I went from 4th dec - 18th dec 2013 it was a long flight we arrived at cancun airport at 2pm after getting luggage etc and 3 other drop offs at other hotels we got to the Catalonia Yucatan Beach at 5pm I felt absolutely exhausted , we got a quick check in , given the key , map etc and pointed in the direction of our room said luggage will be there in 5 mins , after 15 mins we called reception as I had a pounding headache and the tablets was in the suitcase after the call suitcase was with us in 5mins . Room was lovely we had a top floor room , number 418 which was actually on the Riviera Maya side . It was spotless , perfect you could even see the sea .
Went down for food then went to bed .
Woke early as couldn't sleep as the time difference threw us out a bit . Will say glad we did wake early as the sun beds around pool we're reserved pretty quickly , by 8am they we're usually all gone but plenty on beach . As many reviews has said the beach/sea is very rocky also lots of lose rocks rolling around . There was a beautiful lagoon where there is plenty of fish to feed , please be careful in lagoon as there is lots of jelly fish that just sit at bottom of the sea .
On the Saturday was my only fault with holt and why it says fantastic .... But ! Was out of room from 7.30am , went back at 3pm . My suitcase was in wardrobe and I noticed it had been moved I thought the cleaner and moved it to clear sand up etc .. Got the key but it would not go in I picked case up put it on bed , the lock had been damaged and twisted someone had tried to break it open , I went down to reception to complain , I spoke to lady on desk who told me to wait for the assisant manager I explained to her and she said to go back to room and she will be there in 5 mins with security and maintence to open lock . When they turned up the security guard grabbed case tried the key which obviously wouldn't open , we explained we'd already done that ! They cut the bolt off in the end , luckily nothing was taken . I was asked why I didn't pay for safe I explained that we stayed in other hotels and never had a safe and no one has tried to break into case , she asked if we wanted to change rooms , we said no we would like the safe for free as it was obviously a member of there staff that caused this problem she said she would have to speak to her manager and get back to us . Before they left the security guard tried to blame the key of the lock we said it wouldn't of done that damage !
Well she never got back to us so we went down before tea . They called manager called Jackaline to talk to us . She made me angry as she called us Mr & Mrs Coleman , I explained I'm Coleman my bf wasn't , we're not married she then got a bit of an attitude with me telling me the holiday shouldn't be in my name as I'm FEMALE it should be in my bf name as he is the MALE !!!!! In the end after a bit of moaning from her and us she agreed we could have the safe for free but she did try and fob us off by saying was we sure that the heat didn't melt the lock (WTF) !!!!!
We got the key to safe went on our way never heard anymore about it which I think is disgusting !!
The restraunts , buffet ones were lovely always something to eat and the puddings was gorgeous . We went to couple of the other restraunts the bamboleo (steak house ) , very popular it opened at 6pm (not everyday ) but you had to que very early as you wouldn't get in straight away , could have a long wait ! We also went to the Italian but very disappointed as not a lot of Italian on menu , never had pizza / spaghetti bolognaise .
The staff well what can I say FANTASTIC always greeting you , always with a smile and always working so hard . Cleaning all time of day/night the hotel/grounds we're perfect !
Would I recommend this hotel ' HELL YES ' , would I go back to this hotel ' HELL YES ' !!!!
Hope this helps .... Happy travelling !

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed 17 December 2013

It's taking me a while to write a review maybe it's from the parasite I got while staying at this resort and losing 25 pounds and a month of work. We were there in April for wedding which had 75 people!! From the beginning a disappointment. You have to pay 8 dollars a day to receive a lock and key for your safe!! Don't lose a towel or room card!! We got there late and only had time for the dinner buffet that was almost closed. Gross! The food was terrible. The rooms are outdated. Our friend had diabetes and there are NO fridges in the rooms so they made him upgrade to the nicer rooms so he could refrigerate his insulin. Pathetic. So no fridges meant warm pop and water. Let's move on to the pools!! Small, no filters or cooling system. A slimy top layer of sunscreen and who knows what else. No entertainment. The only good thing was the staff at the bars. You don't tip the servers around the pool they DO NOT come around. I love Mexico and have been 8 times and this resort is by far the worst ever!! Do not stay here unless you want to lose weight from dirty pools and horrible food that gives you a parasite. 8 people from our group got deathly ill. It's cheap to stay there but for reason. It's horrible!!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Jessica A
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2015

Dear Jessica A,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 16 December 2013

This hotel had a few pluses but the negatives definitely way out the positives.
It’s great that it is a small resort and the people and staff are very friendly.
- The food quality is horrible. Rarely did I eat a meal that food was hot it always seemed to be cold, overcooked or undercooked and very bland. Even in the A la cartes the only one that was good was Mikado the Chinese food restaurant.
- We were in a privileged suite and had no water 3 or more times in our room. We would go to shower after a long day at the pool and would sometimes have to wait close to an hour before being able to flush the toilet or use any water. Other people we were with did not have hot water the whole time but they at least had water!
- The crepe is great but the service is very very slow. You are lucky if you get ice-cream you ordered within 45 minutes of ordering it.
- Entertainment- The shows were horrible. The dancers in it were entertaining but there was no story line to the shows at all. It was like a 5 year old made the show.
- If you are a beach person the beach is very rocky and tons of Jelly Fish.
- All in all don’t expect more than a 3 star and what I found from meeting people who were there before it has really changed in the past year. If you do not care about food and just want to sit around the pool during the day drink, meet new people and play water volleyball, Join contests, do other water activities this may be a good resort for you.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Barcelo Maya Colonial
Barcelo Maya Colonial
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!