“We loved this place!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Canada
“We loved this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2009

My review on our very recent trip to the Mayan Riviera, The Catalonia Yucatan and the area of Puerto Aventuras…

We stayed at the Catalonia Yucatan, and the resort is FABULOUS! The people, staff, ambiance and atmosphere are excellent! Regardless if you tipped or not, you were greeted with a smile and courteous service. The booze is high quality brand names and the drinks keep coming!! They even made me a Cesar to which I enjoyed. The beach is very clean. There is a wonderful lagoon, where you can do tons of snorkeling daily, we went 3x a day and saw sting rays, squid, plenty of colorful fish and a BIG barracuda (maybe 3 feet long?) but it was just hanging out and didn't bother us.. So many underground coral reefs and drop offs leading to a beautiful world underneath.. it is quite shallow and you can walk out or wade out for a long ways.

They have FREE catamaran trips that take you out into the water for 30 mins.. FREE use of snorkel equipment and life jackets.. and FREE kayaks for an hour at a time.. which was nice, as we have never kayaked on the ocean before.. The food was plentiful, fresh and tasty daily at the buffets and the all day grill, plus we had a reservation at the Japanese restaurant (MIKADO) which was tasty!! The Italian restaurant had terrific Italian courses with a very romantic atmosphere and the steak house had a great selection of steaks that were YUMMY!! and they even play country music for you to boogie to!! Nightly we went to La Creperie and have the best crepes and milkshakes I have ever tasted with fresh whipped cream on top!! Nice view of the ocean while you eat between 5-11pm.

Tons of entertainment, from daily aerobics, dancing, nightly shows, in house movie theatre, live bands, 5 bars to chose from.. internet ($5 for 30 mins) shops on site..
We also went to the local marina for some tasty food and 'HAPPY HOUR' time.. Massimo's was fantastic!! He and Carlos are wonderful hosts! We had lobster tails.. YUMM!! With a great view of the dolphins interacting with people. The locals in this area of Puerto Aventuras are very warm and friendly. You can hang out here and enjoy their BIG beach or have a drink, dance sing.. whatever you chose! They also have dolphin excursions where you can swim and play with some dolphins for an hour. I found this to be so much fun and learning all about them in this manner and having some personal time with 3 of them was exhilarating. Great for the young and old! http://www.dolphindiscovery.com/mayan_riviera/riviera-maya-location-overview.asp

We met a nice American - Dietmar who owns the Grande fishing boat 'Poverty Sucks'.. who is a treat to talk to, as he knows so much about the islands, people, fishing, etc. If you want to go out fishing in style, take him up on his offer, his boat is magnificent and does stand out in the marina. http://www.povertysucksfishing.com/about.html

We also went on a tour to a cenote (underwater freshwater cave) which was great!! Jo and Laura were fantastic guides and informative.. they also took us to snorkeling to see some turtles where we swam with them, but did not touch them and observed them in their natural environment in the ocean. Great Gals! they took great pics for us and gave us a cd at the end for $30 (which was worth it)

We took a catamaran trip to Tulum - which although the trip itself was a neat concept, as we sailed for 2.5 hours to our destination, the group was too large 60 people.. and most of them started drinking on board at 9am (with encouragement from the crew) to which we then ended up with ill people who wanted to throw up by noon.. and on our snorkel trip in the ocean, which was not fun, as the waves were too rough, too big and you could barely see anything, we almost lost two people who swam towards the nearest beach. We all had life jackets on - which is a great idea, but booze and snorkeling in a rough tide, do not mix.. so that wasn't impressive.. The trip was $107pp and basically was a booze cruise - to which we didn't expect.. The ONLY good thing that happened was that we actually saw the ruins if Tulum, which are beautiful, but we could have taken a cab there and saved the money and the hassle of the morning involved. All in the entire catamaran trip to Tulum is over priced, under value, a little unsafe and very disorganized. Spend your money elsewhere.

Also, I liked our rep from Nollitours, but do not like Nollitours as a company as we had nothing but issues with them, as did others. They used Can Jet which was a terrible sky service. They were delayed twice for our departure to Mexico.. they had no coffee or tea service working there or back.. they talk too much on the speakers which disrupts your sleep, movies, etc.. The plane is outdated and the seats are uncomfortable and crammed with little leg room. We were suppose to leave at 10pm the night of our departure back to Toronto, and instead they bumped everyone up to 10am in the morning, to which we lost a whole day of Mexico. We ended up at the airport and guess what - the plane was delayed again! Having to wake up at 4am only to be delayed another 30 mins was getting on everyone's nerves. The attendants were nice and did try their best.. and to be honest, it was just a small hump, considering the fact that the rest of trip was glorious. Cool at night, so bring some sweaters and jeans.. and lots of sunscreen as the sun is strong and a bit deceiving, as it doesn't feel as hot as it is..

The hotel and area of Puerto Aventuras was safe and a great experience for us.. the airline, due to delays and the loss of a day was disappointing.. but a small glitch in the grand scheme of things.

GO THERE AND ENJOY!! You will love it!!

• Liked — EVERYTHING - so much to do!! 7 days is NOT enough..
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
7 Thank bala606

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Polish first
markham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

We flew via Air Transat out of Toronto on January 17th for one week. We arrived late in Cancun due to a delay but worked out great. The airport was dead and we were out of there in no time.
Transfer to the hotel wasn't too bad. We were the last drop off though.

Check-In
Everything went well and quick. We arrived late at night. My first impression of the lobby, I noticed it wasn't as big and fancy as most of the other hotels we've stayed at. We've been to the Gran Bahia in PC and also the Barcelo in the Mayan.
The Riviera Maya side is a little nicer. That is where the lounge is and the theatre.

Rooms
Our first room was the standard room. It was located right beside the airconditioned restaurant, above the Tequila Bar. Our balcony faced the bar and the pool. It was exactly what I expected based on all the reviews I read. Very basic but clean and spacious. We realized after sleeping one night how noisy this location was as it was beside the restaurant and we would hear loud banging, delivery trucks etc all through the night. We then noticed that the shower had no hot water at all. Then our keys didn't work and our tv. This was when we finally decided to see the standard deluxe rooms and suites that everyone was raving about. We decided to switch to a deluxe room for $25 us a night. We did this half way into the week so it was well worth the price! Decor, modern, very clean and spacious. Better than my own bedroom at home! We also had a great view of the ocean and the Riviera pool. We had large palm trees blocking our view a bit but it was good as it gave us some privacy as well.
Honestly though, if we didn't have the problems with our first standard room, I wouldn't have changed.

We found the service to be exceptional. Whenever we had a problem with our key card or our tv wasn't working, there was a technician there right away to help. This we've never experienced before. The front desk also gave us an extended late checkout til 4pm which was great eventhough we had to pay.

The food was much better than I expected. Probably better than the other higher end hotels we've stayed at. I can't understand how some people can complain?? There was so much selection. I did notice though that the smaller airconditioned ElMercato restaurant, the food wasn't as hot and not as much selection. We only ate there once and then stuck to the larger open air buffet the rest of the trip. They also had a daily lunch bbq right in front of the Pure chill out bar but never tried it.
The a la carte restaurants were very good. We did the Japanese, Mexican and Grill. We loved the Japanese the best. Our chef put on an amazing show ! At the mexican we ordered the fajitas and they were very yummy! Restaurant was very nice on the rooftop.
The biggest treat was the Creperie. Never had this before at any hotel! The view was nice and the crepes were so good.

Beach
I was a little disappointed at first with the beach being so packed with loungers in the main area. At times you really felt too crowded. We spent most of our time at the lagoon area which was fantastic. More spaces in between and was nice to view the daily weddings each afternoon. My daughter loved the lagoon since it was so calm and warm. It was nice not having to worry about her here. In Punta Cana the water was so rough that we never stayed on the beach with her. The beach is rocky and not as wide as some of the other hotels but it wouldn't stop me from returning. It was nice to get drink service from your lounger.

Weather
The weather was fantastic the whole week! A little cooler than I thought early in the morning and by sunset. If going within the next month, I would definitely bring more long sleeve cotton items and pants or capris. Not a drop of rain the entire time! It wasn't humid at all and never saw a bug or mosquito!

Pools
Very clean and large. Quite empty though on the Yucatan side and quieter. The other side was busier and more crowded. I couldn't get over how cold the pool water was though. They were very clean and in excellent condition. A lot of baby pools for the kids which was great.

Entertainment
Since we had our 4year old with us, we never made it to most of the shows. We did catch the last 2 during our stay and they were pretty good. My husband had a blast competing in volleyball everyday. I was a little disappointed that we never saw a Mariachi band the entire time. When we stayed at the Barcelo they were constantly around singing and performing.

Kids Club
My daughter didn't want to stay there but we did use the playground once. I didn't even know they had one so it was a nice surprise. The girls who worked there seemed wonderful and full of energy with the kids. They always approached my daughter and invited her to the daily activities. Some of the kids I noticed were there everyday, seemed quite attached to the workers.

Overall, I loved the sized and layout of the resort. We made many friends because you always were able to run into the same people. Being 5 months pregnant and with a child the proximity of everything was perfect. It was also a nice treat to be able to leave the resort and explore Puerto Aventuras . We couldn't believe how much this area is developing, and loved the safety of it. We would definitely come back with our kids!

• Liked — layout, food, service, Puerto Aventuras
  • Disliked — wish it was a little closer to the airport
7 Thank proudmumma
Edmonton, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel from January 4th- 11th, 2009.

The front desk: Great service. The staff upgraded us from a standard room to an ocean view room on the Mayan side for free!

The food: The creperie is awesome. Definitely go! They served the best milkshake I've ever had. The a la carts were great, we liked the steak house the best. The buffet was good, always something to eat and there was always someone cooking up something hot.

The beach: Yes, rocky at the start, but the dark blue spots you see in the photo are coral reefs which were neat to check out with the free snorkeling gear they offered.

The staff: SUPER friendly and always helpful. The animation team did a great job. The evening entertainment was hit or miss. The first night we were there it was very entertaining.

The rooms: We were upgraded, so all I can say was that our room was beautiful. No hard bed. Rain shower...

The drinks: Nice and strong. Ask for the good tequila or you get the cheap stuff until they know you.

The guests: I found that this resort had a variety of ages. We are 25 and met lots of people our age to hang out with by the pool. However, we seen many kids and older adults as well. However, everyone there was fun.

The disco: Pretty dead, but you get out what you put in. I personally like more room to dance where people aren't spilling drinks on you or you are constantly being bumped. So we liked it, but only went once.

Tipping: We tipped quite a few of the staff members to show our appreciation. And they returned theirs with even better service. The exception was the maid. We tipped her every other day, and regardless, she did a fabulous job keeping our room spotless. On the day we left, we gave her another tip because we were so impressed.

GO! Enjoy! The grounds are beautiful, and there are two daily shuttles to Playa Del Carmen everyday. We missed the shuttle back because we had no idea how to get back to where the bus dropped us off....try to keep that in mind before you're a few beers in and lost in the city....

• Liked — The staff
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank getwet2
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2009

We liked this resort very much, and will be back.
We never upgraded to a suite, and even though the rooms on the Yucatan side are a little tired, we certainly were not horrified by the room either. It was large, bright and clean.
The only issue we had with the room was the safe. For 3 days we could not use the safe, as they do not have enough activators for each room, and you have to wait till someone else checks out to get one. Since we were diving everyday at the marina, we weren't there a lot of the times to 'catch' when a group was leaving. We were offered a safe on the other side, in the lobby, open 24/7.
We also never ate at any of the a la carte restaurants, as we were up and out early to dive. We enjoyed the variety at the buffets and didn't see the need to make a special arrangement to try and get into one of the a la cartes. We would like to try that next time.
We also never swam/snorkelled just off the resort, (as we were diving everyday and saw all sorts of stuff) but there were lots of people in the water and lots reported seeing all sorts of fishes.
We did not use the dive op on the resort. They do limit there dives to 45 minutes. We walked into the marina 5-7 minute walk and dove with Aquanuats. Excellent dive op. They can not pick you up from the hotel anymore. They will allow you one trip in the taxi to bring your stuff, and you store your gear at the dive shop. We just wheeled the gear back in the luggage when we were done, no biggy.
The staff is very friendly, and the restaurant staff really hussle to serve you. No matter where we were, staff was always greeting us.
We were very pleased with this resort and will be back, we just may have found our second home!

Just a little problem with Skyservice on the way home. We were to leave at 4 pm. then told 8:45 pm. then 2:40 a.m. We ended up not staying at the resort, as they were overbooked. We left at 8 pm then off to Cancun to the Marriot hotel. Very nice place by the way. Up then at 4 a.m. to the airport. Long, long day. about 12 hours later, into Toronto.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Not very helpful front reception
3 Thank Misty58
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2009

I just wanted to let any Brides and Grooms out there that may be looking to book their wedding somewhere... to take a look at the Catalonia Riviera Maya/Yucatan Beach.. it is AMAZING!

We just got back with from our time at the Catalonia along with our party of 40 and it was great. I was a little nervous about the wedding planning since I really had no idea what to expect and how much to plan on my own, and when I would email the wedding coordinator at the resort, it was a little while until I received a response back. Rest assured once you get there, it's a whole different story.

The resort itself is very nice. The staff are incredibly friendly and the resort itself is really clean. The beach is beautiful and there are tons of lounge chairs for tanning. The food is also great. There are 4 specialty restaurants which book up really fast so I would suggest booking them your first day there.

For day time tours, I would suggest to talk to other guests at the resort first to see what they think before booking. I've heard mixed reviews on what is a waste. The swimming with dolphins (at Delphinus), parasailing, the zipline/atv jungle outing and the catamaran/snorkelling trip with the lobster and steak lunch and XCaret..well worth the money. I also suggest avoiding the resort bus to get to Playa del Carmen because it makes lots of stops along the way, and cabs are about $20 US.. instead walk up to the main road and take the collectivo. Its a white van that comes by every 10-15 minutes and its $2 US which takes you right to Playa del Carmen, XCaret, etc.

As for the wedding: I had my hair done right at the salon at the resort and they did an amazing job. A bit of a language barrier but just asked the receptionist to translate. All the ladies involved in the wedding planning process were great.and Cora was very sweet! we brought some of our own decorations down and had some of my family along with the wedding coordinators decorate. Since we wanted a private reception and had 40 people, we had the "pure chill out bar" and I could not have asked for a better setting. The aisle, and chairs set up on the private lagoon and the reception bar looked breathtaking.

I would tell anyone who is looking to book this resort to do it, and ignore any negative reviews you read because there should not be any!

Enjoy your holiday!

• Liked — The staff, food and cleanliness.. not to mention our wedding!
  • Disliked — the language barrier with some of the staff
2 Thank MexicoBride1
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2009

Just back from a week at this resort.
Had a great time, hotel spotless, staff really friendly and helpful, the nightly shows were really enteraining, food was real good, actually had good flavor, a la cartes were good, would have done the japanese again if possible.
Would recommend this resort to all my friends. only thing bring beach shoes as coral makes beach rocky in places..
lots of fish in water for even non swimmers to enjoy.

• Liked — spotless
  • Disliked — distance from airport
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank coldbeerAlberta
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2009

I was booked with my husband and 3 year old at Yucatan which is where Canadians are booked. We stayed on Riviera Maya side but the resorts are together and I hope Canadians read this review. I will try to keep it to what I thought was most important. Overall, I was
disappointed with this resort and think the ratings are a fair bit higher than it deserves for what it offers. Yes, the resort is an excellent value for the Riviera Maya but our impression is that the entire area is overpriced when one compares other areas of mexico (huatulco, zihua, sayulita, etc on the pacific side.) The happiest people there were those by the many bars and those doing activity team stuff in the pools, otherwise for people with kids and just quieter couples I don't believe this is a good choice even though it tries to mix all the groups together. We were there 2 weeks, jan 5 to 19th.

The worst: The beach. It is small and crowded with few sandy entry areas. Sun loungers are centimetres apart. This is now true for the lagoon side as well where the resort has placed rows upon rows of loungers. It looks and feels like sardines in a can. Pools are better but see below for noise issues.
Swimming for any distance in the ocean is difficult without water shoes as you pass over quite shallow reef areas. However, snorkeling is great if you want to do that but it's not that big an area to snorkel, learnt it in three days underwater.

The bad: The crowding everywhere. The resort has packed quite a number of rooms in a relatively small area, there are people on all the main paths pretty much all the time. Same with restaurants, though the Air conditioned one is quiter. Feels again far too busy.

The bad no. 3: The noise levels. We were booked at Yucatan but emailed ahead to request quiet room as toddler needs afternoon naps, as do we. Email apparently never received. Arrived to discover Yucatan was activity central, requested move to riviera maya side. First they gave us an adjoining room then finally gave us a room facing the villas at the very back of the resort. Much better, obviously no ocean view. But they did work on the balconies for a couple of days, doors opening and closing, security on walkie-talkies, maids chatting in hallways, everything echoes. The pools are pretty much noisy from 11 am on, with either music from loudspeakers (and bad 80s stuff too, heard excellent music in our colectivo trips but never on resort), or people drinking and talking loudly. Beach is quieter but because you're so packed in, you're always conscious of many others nearby. the outdoor buffet restaurant is nice but unless you're at the very back of it the noise and constant traffic at the tables for 3 + makes it unlikely you'll want to linger.

The bad no. 4: the little extra charges. Knew about only 2 water bottles in standard rooms and charges for safe but found it very irritating in practice especially when the safe is charged at the end and converted into pesos from u.s. dollars at a ridiculous rate (20% less than actual exchange.) $5 us for 30 minutes internet (or free if you bring your own laptop). Just seems like nickel and diming.
Similarly, I would not spend extra for suites or villas unless I was travelling with a large group and wanted the extra room. Better spend the money on a nicer resort.

The neutral: the location. Yes, it is nice to be able to go into puerto aventuras marina. but it's very fake and touristy, more so than i expected. Yes, there is a shuttle into playa del carmen but drops you into town for eight hour stretches and playa (which i went to 2 times, about an hour each way!) is also busy, busy and with little to offer unless you're staying there (lovely beach and beach clubs) or are willing to spend money on gifts, dinner, etc. and it's expensive.

the neutral 2: Location-related: transfer from airport 1 1/2 hours, to airport 2 hours. Too long. To Tulum, 45 minutes by colectivo. Big construction outside puerto aventuras, very slow to get in and out from the area. Overall too isolated. Prefer to be closer to a real town.

The combo of the factors above are deal breakers for me and were far more serious issues than the reviews and forums indicate. We have not done a lot of AI - one in huatulco, but had an amazing time last year. We will not be going AI again for this length of time after this because it was not good value in the end and I don't want a similar experience. If you've read this far, the negativity is over. the good is below.

The outstanding: The two trips we took, neither through hotel. Colectivo to Tulum, the most incredible beach. And overnighter to chichen itza staying at mayaland bungalows that we booked from home ahead of time. i'll do a review at some point of mayaland. i highly recommend an overnighter to chichen. long trip but worth it.

The best: The rooms. Very clean, very large, good spacious bathroom, decent lighting inside and out, large balconies. Beds were plenty comfortable. Everything tidy and well maintained. got rabbits, octopus, pig maybe and various other towel creatures for $2 u.s. daily. no tip, no art though. so.

The good: The food. Very good choice of fruits and vegetables and beans, excellent guacamole, nice mexican choices some nights at buffet, nice pasta bar, but only one poor person working it (outrageous) so you have to be patient. not the best meat choices, but i don't eat much meat. Excellent breakfast and good lunches, dinners hit and miss. Mexican reservation was very good, italian ok, japanese terrible food (add soy and call it teriaky, but lovely presentation so we went twice.) snack bar with hot dogs and burgers and fries was really bad but convenient and likely gave my kid scurvy. oh well.

The fine: Staff. Some were very nice, our cleaning lady for example, and some of the wait staff. Reception almost always harried.

any questions, you can email.

• Liked — the rooms
  • Disliked — Beach crowding
2 Thank sim87
Catalonia Playa Maroma
#4 of 5 in Playa Maroma
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,761 reviews
Occidental at  Xcaret Destination
Occidental at Xcaret Destinatio...
#73 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 11,542 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach
Hotel Barcelo Maya Beach
#11 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,766 reviews

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!