This is a nice, laid back resort with all the amenities you could want. We arrived on Jan. 12th and the resort was nearing capacity. We wanted to upgrade to a Deluxe room but were not able to. We settled for the Standard and it was just fine. Clean and comfortable. Impeccable chamber service. A tip goes a long way.
The staff at this resort are excellent. From front desk to beach, everyone was cheerful, helpful and pleasant. Bartenders and waitstaff were awesome.
The food in my opinion is better than most AI's I've been to. The guacamole and ceviche are habit forming. Very, very good! The buffets offer so much, no one could possibly go hungry here. The ala carte's were also very good but you must book these early in the a.m. on your arrival or you will be spending a lot of time in line. This is done at the Pure Chill bar and you can have a beverage while waiting to make your reservation.
The beach over the years has been eroding but is still okay. There are plenty of sunloungers to go around and we did not have any trouble finding one. The kayaking, catamarans and snorkeling are all added features at the Catalonia and should be used because it is a lot of fun. There is a bit of rockiness at first entry and then it smooths out. Good snorkeling for the novice.
The pools on both sides, Catalonia and Yucatan are very nice. Things were much quieter on the Yucatan side but there were international volleyball (sand and pool) games going on most days. I noticed the Canadians kicked butt!
Puerto Aventuras is a great locale. You have so many options for trips a short distance away. The marina is fun and is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Most nights the locals woud stop in their golfcarts and offer a ride. Really friendly people. Gringo Dave's was hopping with entertainment most nights at the marina. They have a great breakfast too! If you are into fishing or diving, make your way over to the marina for sure. Charters and tours going out daily. See J.J. in the golfcart at the marina for fishing tours - very helpful and reasonable.
The only thing this year was the weather. Very cool and rainy and really wierd for Mexico this time of year. That was our only disappointment.
We were really happy to meet some TA members at the Margarita Bar. Thanks to Pablo and Sue for all the helpful info prior to our travels and to Cindy for getting the party started. Congrats to Mike and Lee Ann from London, Ontario who actually got engaged at Coba! These two were so sweet.
All in all, this resort is nice and we had a great time. I would definitely go back as the price is much better than most in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4 star Catalonia Yucatan Beach Resort & Spa is located in the heart of the Riviera Maya, on the private estate of Puerto Aventuras. Located on the beautiful Mexican Caribbean coast, this resort is directly on the beach and offers a comfortable and peaceful atmosphere, perfect for a relaxing break. This mystical area boasts many Mayan archaeological ruins that include Chichen Itza, Tulum and Tikal as well as the natural attractions of Xel-Ha, Cozumel and Xcaret. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel so you can book your Catalonia Yucatan Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Aventuras