“Great Resort”

Catalonia Yucatan Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 2 February 2009

Just returned from the Catalonia, not sure why it has 2 names, (Yucatan and Riviera Maya) it is basically one resort.

Check In, Good, deal with Remco if you can, he is very efficient, (the blonde, curly haired guy with glasses who some reviewer had an issue with - can't understand why.)

Rooms - Stayed in a standard room, clean, simple, nothing fancy at all, but adequate for our needs, we travelled with our 2 young children and we had enough space.

Maid Service - Great

Food - Good, lots of variety, something to suit everyone.

Service - Great, very pleasant and efficient

Pools and Grounds - excellent, easy to move around with strollers..

A la carte - only went to the Japanese, it was good, but that's all, no show from the chef as he was new, so a little disappointing.
System for reserving an a la carte is terrible, long line ups and then likely to be full anyway, didn't bother us as we prefer to eat in the buffet with the kids, but might annoy some. Reserve as soon as you arrive.

Beach - quite small so no long walks if you like that kind of thing. Lagoon is great for kids, and also for some gentle kayaking.

Puerto Aventuras is nice, the marina is very close by. The town is quite modern, condos and fancy houses, not your typical Mexican town. If you like quaint it wouldn't suit you. The dolphin park is there and you can watch them for free.

All in all a great vacation and I would recommend the Catalonia, especially if you have kids..

1  Thank bren018
Write a ReviewReviews (2,127)

Reviewed 2 February 2009

We were two couples with small children who stayed at the Cat from Jan 24 to 31st. We were late arriving on the 24th since our plane was 12 hours delayed but as soon as we landed in Mexico all was well. Transportation to the Cat from Nolitours was great, we left right away, were served lots of beers on the bus, and were the first resort to be dropped off. Check in was very quick (it was 11:30pm at night) and walking through the grounds to get to our rooms was just beautiful as everything was all lit up. We stayed in a standard room on the Yucatan side, 4th floor, with a beautiful view of the ocean and pool. Since we were travelling with small babies we had requested cribs in the rooms, these were not in there when we arrived and one quick phone call to the lobby rectified this in about 10 minutes. I was very happy about that. We had also requested side by side rooms by email which we received.

The standard rooms are fine, nothing spectacular (except the view) but nothing too bad either. The beds are a little firm but it was fine for me. There is some low water pressure when showering in the early evening (the pressure comes and goes) which bugged me on the first day but I just got used to it and hardly noticed it after that. The elevator did not work in our building which was a drag having to carry the strollers up and down four flights. We probably could have requested to move to the first floor but we liked our view too much so it was a good workout for the guys.

The grounds are gorgeous and constantly being cleaned. Every night we watched them scrub the pool deck and chairs and couldn’t believe how meticulous they were. The pools were cold at first but since the weather significantly warmed up as the week progressed so too did the pool temperature. By mid-week they were lovely to swim in and stayed that way. We spent a lot of time at the lagoon which was great for babies/small children and conveniently located to the Bomboleo Grill for snacks and beers. Also, we never had a problem finding a lounge chair at either the pool or lagoon, you just couldn’t always get shade. They have tons of lounge chairs so even though you may not get your ideal spot, you would always have a chair and the resort was full when we were there.

The food was pretty good. Certainly at the buffet you can always find something as there is a lot of choice. I like how they have a different theme night each dinner so it is not always the same food. It was also nice to have the option of the a la cartes and snack bar so you aren’t eating at the buffets all the time. You also have the option of eating at the Creperie (they have savoury crepes as well as desserts), going into Puerto Aventuras or Playa Del Carmen for a meal to switch things up as well. The service was really good at all the restaurants. Our only complaint was the Mercado Buffet at breakfast where a few times we seemed to be missed entirely to get coffee. It was like everyone went on a break as soon as we sat down and no one was to be found. Could have been our timing?? We did not experience this anywhere else though and for the most part the service was amazing. The Mexican a la carte was very good (try the enchiladas in mole sauce—to die for), the Japanese was fun and although I personally did not eat at the Italian, 2 people in my group did and they said it was not very good.

This resort has tons of bars so it is always easy to get yourself a drink. We loved finding the Terrace bar (between the Mexican and Italian a la cartes) as we could sit out and have a few drinks overlooking the pools and ocean. Also, yes you only get 2 water bottles in the standard rooms but it is so easy to refill them that I’m not sure what all the complaining is about.

I spent a lot of time on my balcony while my baby napped or went to bed early at night and I really appreciated having the nice view. Many rooms on the Mayan Riviera side do not look like they have good views. Also there is a light on the balcony at night so you can easily read out there as well. We liked staying on the Yucatan side as it seemed less busy and rowdy than the Mayan Riviera side which was great for our kids.

We generally had a good time at this resort and would recommend it, especially for all its amenities, great service and price.

2  Thank TorontoNicoleh
Reviewed 2 February 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the resort Jan 25-Jan 31st. We booked through orbitz and upgraded to the oceanfront room. We also booked private transportation through USA transfers online via the website www.cancun-discounts.com. The private transportation was on ly $115 roundtrip for two people, and was cheaper than the shared transportation offered by orbitz. When we got outside the airport there was a USA transfers rep. with my name on a sign. The two of us had a large passenger van all to ourselves. It was nice not having to stop 5 times and let other people off. The trip from the airport took about an hour and our driver played tour guide along the way and even offered to stop at 7-eleven for us to get something to drink. When we arrived at the hotel, check in was a little confusing. The front desk gal said we were to check in at the Riviera Maya desk so she had to redo everything. All and all no big deal. We were helped to our room by the bellhop. Our room was on the 4th (top) floor and on the end. We had two balconies, one overlooking an empty lot and the next hotel, the other was fabulous with full ocean front view, two chairs and a table. The pure chill out bar was directly below, but was never too noisy and did not obstruct our view in anyway. From what I could see the 3rd and 4th floors had good ocean front views. The bottom two floors would look directly into the bar, and may disappoint a lot of people who paid extra for a view. Be sure to ask at check in what floor your room is on, prior to going to the room. The room was nice, king size bed, mini fridge with pop, beer and water, coffee maker and marble shower. The room itself was nothing special but for the amount of time spent there, it was just fine. The bed had a foam mattress cover so it was very comfortable. We sat outside on the balcony the most drinking beer or coffee. The housekeeping staff does a great job and leaves towel art on your bed everyday. We would leave a few dollars everyday and a note with what we needed, ( coffee packs, more beer or water), and she would kindly fill our request. The resort itself it lovely. The ocean water is actually warmer than the pools right now, so we swam there everyday. Do bring water shoes. It is a must for your own safety. We discovered however that down by the foot bridge it is lovely sand and much easier to get in and out. We snorkeled on the beach everyday and saw amazing fish. There are tons to see by the bridge. Be sure and bring some bread out from the buffet, and you can feed the fish right in front of your face. The food was good for the most part. Only bad meal was at the grill for dinner. The steak was like shoe leather. Otherwise, we ate at the Japanese and Mexican restaurants and had wonderful meals. The drinks were good and plentiful and never had to wait in line for a refil. The had lots on name brands like bacardi and absolute, and all you had to do was ask for it. We spent much of our afternoons at the Margarita bar. The bartender there, Gregorio, made the best drinks and shots. We met so many nice people there as well. Hello to Jill and Mark from Canada. You guys we awesome to hang out with. The shows at night were very good as well. The evolution show, about music was my favorite. The pools during the day is where all the activities take place, so if you want quiet rest stay down by the water. We never had a problem getting a chair down there. The one thing that amazed us most was the amount of European visitors. As Americans we felt like the minority. We actually enjoyed this, since we enjoy meeting people and learning about there countries. Just be aware however, that due to this fact, you will see topless sunbathers . We did not see any of this around the pool, just around the beach. Another nice aspect of this resort is location. We walked up to the marina five minutes away and watched the dolphins, sea lions and manatee’s. There are lots of little shops to buy souvenirs as well. It was nice not to be hounded by time share reps, like you get when you walk up town in Cancun. All and All it was a great vacation and I would recommend this resort to anyone looking to have fun, meet new people or just take a long needed nap on the beach.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank dbayme
Reviewed 2 February 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Catalonia Yucatan from Jan 21 to 28, 2009.
We had a standard room on the 4th floor looking over the pool area with a view of the ocean. Couldn't ask for anything better. The room was very clean and cleaned daily. We found the bed very hard but guest service padded the bed with a mattress topper which helped a lot.
We found the resort very clean as there was always someone cleaning, sweeping, fixing the grounds picking up butts. At night they were even cleaning and scrubbing the inside of the garbage cans that dotted the area, and washed and scrubbed the poolside loungers. Couldn't believe it. These little Mexican workers work pretty hard for their money.
The food was very good all over. Lots of choice for everyone. The a la cartes were very good, great steaks. Their was even Gerber baby food in the coolers for the babies whom of which were quite a few as this is a great family resort for families. Great play area for small children with practically their own private beach area at the lagoon where the kayaks are kept.
Found the place was big enough to accommodate everyone. For those who wanted more quiet space, the Yucatan side was where they were. More activity, the Riviera side.
Lots to do, great snorkeling, right at your fingertips. That's a saving of at least $100 us per person if you had to take a tour to experience it. Sailing rides, scuba lessons, dance lessons etc. Para sailing, deep sea fishing, speed boat, catamaran tours, swim with the dolphins a short 5 to 10 minute walk to the marina. Beach was pretty good considering a few pebbles. Way nicer and bigger than the neighbouring hotel.
Everything was basically at your finger tips.
Counted at least a choice of 8 bars to go to.
Even had waiter service on the beach getting and serving you drinks. Was getting spoiled here.
All the staff from cleaners to servers to bell boys etc were all friendly and courteous. They all worked hard and doing their best. Sometimes it could be trying to please everyone.
The Creperie is very good. The hours are from 5 to 11. I would have preferred the hours to be from 3 to 9, but that could be wishfull thinking.
All the staff went out of their way to make our visit pleasant by working hard and giving good service. They were many, some of whom I wish to acknowledge. I wish I could remember them all but here are a few that stick in my mind.: Leodan, Evelyn, Juan, Jonathan, David, Alba, Patricia, Tadia, always happy and cheerfull.
My wife and I feel that we would like to come back with our children and grandchildren at a later date to do it all over again. No regrets her.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank beaudar50
Reviewed 31 January 2009

This is a nice, laid back resort with all the amenities you could want. We arrived on Jan. 12th and the resort was nearing capacity. We wanted to upgrade to a Deluxe room but were not able to. We settled for the Standard and it was just fine. Clean and comfortable. Impeccable chamber service. A tip goes a long way.
The staff at this resort are excellent. From front desk to beach, everyone was cheerful, helpful and pleasant. Bartenders and waitstaff were awesome.
The food in my opinion is better than most AI's I've been to. The guacamole and ceviche are habit forming. Very, very good! The buffets offer so much, no one could possibly go hungry here. The ala carte's were also very good but you must book these early in the a.m. on your arrival or you will be spending a lot of time in line. This is done at the Pure Chill bar and you can have a beverage while waiting to make your reservation.
The beach over the years has been eroding but is still okay. There are plenty of sunloungers to go around and we did not have any trouble finding one. The kayaking, catamarans and snorkeling are all added features at the Catalonia and should be used because it is a lot of fun. There is a bit of rockiness at first entry and then it smooths out. Good snorkeling for the novice.
The pools on both sides, Catalonia and Yucatan are very nice. Things were much quieter on the Yucatan side but there were international volleyball (sand and pool) games going on most days. I noticed the Canadians kicked butt!
Puerto Aventuras is a great locale. You have so many options for trips a short distance away. The marina is fun and is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Most nights the locals woud stop in their golfcarts and offer a ride. Really friendly people. Gringo Dave's was hopping with entertainment most nights at the marina. They have a great breakfast too! If you are into fishing or diving, make your way over to the marina for sure. Charters and tours going out daily. See J.J. in the golfcart at the marina for fishing tours - very helpful and reasonable.
The only thing this year was the weather. Very cool and rainy and really wierd for Mexico this time of year. That was our only disappointment.

We were really happy to meet some TA members at the Margarita Bar. Thanks to Pablo and Sue for all the helpful info prior to our travels and to Cindy for getting the party started. Congrats to Mike and Lee Ann from London, Ontario who actually got engaged at Coba! These two were so sweet.

All in all, this resort is nice and we had a great time. I would definitely go back as the price is much better than most in the area.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
5  Thank jagmor
Reviewed 30 January 2009

My husband and I just returned on Monday, we went along with my twin sister and her husband all to celebrate our 5 year anniversaries. Here's our thoughts and experiences:

ROOMS:
We arrived on the Monday at about 2 in the afternoon. We had a bit of a mis hap with the rooms as we were told when we got there by reception that the four of us would be staying in the same building 1 floor apart and to come back in an hour to book in, but when we went back almost an hour later they had us in completely different buildings. So I was a little frustrated with that seeing as they had told us otherwise not even an hour earlier. We got that straightened out and were then given a room in the same building. I walked in to our corner room and walked right back out. Now I have to say I am NOT a complainer at all, but it smelled terribly musty and when i opened my front door i was looking at pipes and drainage systems and when i opened my balcony doors I had zero view of anything except another hotel door. Reception took care of us and we were finally able to get a room at 9'clock at night which was fantastically clean with much better view and no smell! The rooms by the way are your standard rooms, no luxury here, honestly no more than a 3 star hotel room in my opinion, all I care though is that it was very clean.

The trip absolutely got better from there though:

THE BEACH: is beautiful, it is rocky but we knew beforehand and it really wasn't a big deal for us, it was beautiful sand bottoms past a few feet of rocks and great snorkeling, make sure you try it at least once, the only downside is you can only rent snorkeling stuff for an hour a day (my husband ended up just buying his own). We got down early in the moring to grab seats, but we found there were always empty seats around. But if you want selection get up earlier. We didn't swim in a pool once but they looked very clean. Families with children seemed to be at the pools more. We hardly saw any children on the beach.

THE FOOD: was great. I agree with ppl who have said it was a bit repetitive, they try to change it up with some new dishes every morning and night but for the most part it is the same, i found the food in the 2 restuarants very mexican but in the Snack bar its your american hamburgers and hotdogs and cheese nachos (which were fine with me too), but honestly you can't go hungry here, there is always something for everyone.

THE A LA CARTE restaurants were great. TIP: book your a la cartes RIGHT AWAY in the MORNING the day you get your tickets, we waited til later afternoon and we didn't have many timeslots to choose from, especially being 4 of us- it filled up fast. We really enjoyed the food and the service was great and fast at all of them. The Japanese one was very entertaining (which we gave up our Italian a la carte ticket for). The guys got really nice steaks at the Bar n'Grill a la carte that were amazing and perfectly cooked the way they asked. The mexican was my personal favourite, we found the food fantastic and big portions. The desert there was my favourite too.
Also, save room for desert and try THE CRAPERY at least once. We really enjoyed it, absolutely delicous and they have amazing hot chocolate (which was great to warm you up on the cooler nights- and it does get VERY cool).
All in all, we had an abslotely amazing time, we probably won't ever go back to this exact resort but definately to Riviera Maya next year cuz its absolutely gorgeous there.
You definately get what you pay for here, despite any mishaps the very first day we all had an amazing time with no disappointments! If you get a chance to go on an excursion we did the COBA and it was amazing. Long day though especially if you have children. 7am-7pm we were gone. Great resort for all age groups.

3  Thank TKG009
Reviewed 30 January 2009

Nice hotel, great food, very nice animation team, beautiful pools and beach, this was a great stay! Staff is really kind, and service is most of the time outstanding.
The only little glitches where the fruit juices that were quite "chemical" in taste, the pool slightly too cold. Keep in mind everything else is very nice :)

3  Thank jul79
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#100 of 217 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#11 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Colonial
Barcelo Maya Colonial
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!