“Good value for the money”

Catalonia Yucatan Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto
“Good value for the money”
Reviewed 6 March 2009

My wife and I just recently returned from the Mayan Riviera, this being our second trip since our honeymoon. We booked the Catalonia Yucatan Beach because it offered good amenities, a variety of a la carte dining, fair size beach, and it was close to many major attractions.
If there is one major complaint it would have to be the airline. We flew with air transat who is the only air carrier that deals with this particular hotel. Our flight was delayed for more than two hours, service on board was poor, and the food was terrible (I wouldn't go as far as to say that president's choice microwave meals are my first choice).
The hotel is a fair size. Our room was pretty basic, but acceptable. Room service was fantastic. Our room was cleaned thoroughly and all the amenities were replenished (soap, shampoo, etc.). We made sure to leave a tip everyday (a tip goes a long way, these people work very hard and I'm sure their pay is not all that great).
The dining experience was good, but nothing spectacular though. The buffet was average, with a lot of the same foods appearing over and over. The a la carte dining was better, however, I would suggest staying away from the steakhouse. Even with our reservation it took a while to get a table, service was very slow, and the food wasn't that great. I definiately recommend the mexican restaurant despite what some of the reviews have said. The crepery was the highlight of the dining experience. The desert crepes were excellent, the service was impecible as well.
The beach was very nice. We never had problems getting beach chairs, even in the afternoon. The water was a little cooler than usual due to the colder temperatures. There is a lot of coral that surrounds the bay, which helps to divert big waves. However, if you want to snorkel, or swim out far you have to climb over it, so bring water shoes.
We did several exursions. Our first was to Tulum. We had been there previously on our honeymoon but never got a chance to go swimming. This time we did and it was incredible. I highly recommend it. You can take a collectivo (taxi) for 20 pesos, and the entry fee is only $5 US. Much cheaper than going witha tour. Our next trip was to Playa Del Carmen. Great place to go shopping and get deals. Be careful buying silver. Many vendors claim they offer quality silver, in reality its fake (plated steel).
Our final exursion was to see some cenotes. There was a spot only a few kilometres from our hotel. For $40 US you got a guided tour of the underground caves and rivers, after the tour you were able to go on your own to explore and swim the 7 cenotes in the park. Its an amazing experience, definiately recommended.
All in all, it was a good trip for the money. We got to go back to Mexico and relive some of our memories from our honeymoon, and at the same time, make new ones.

6 Thank SunTrekkers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Polish first
Alexandria, Ontario
Reviewed 3 March 2009

My wife & I stayed here from Feb 19 - 26. We used the trip advisor reviews & brought beach shoes...you need them. We snorkeled & saw many fish close to the coral. We feed them banana pieces & got swarmed...one even bite me..it didn't hurt. Snorkeling was great fun.
The service was excellent everywhere in the resort & it is worthwhile to tip for the great efforts they make.
We took the tour to Chichen-Itza. It's a long bus ride but really worth it. If you are planning to buy souvenirs, get them at the site.....they are the best price you'll find.
We did the zip-lineing, atv & jet boat tour. This was great fun...& a little scarey.
The other tour that we did was to Isla mujeres.......this was a total waste of a day. The beach is all sea-weed & shallow.....everybody was at the pools & the shopping in the village was expensive & very tourista.
Bring lots of small denomination peso's ($20's). These are the best way to tip.
Also, most local shops exchange 10 pesos to a US dollar....at the bank, they will give you 14 pesos to a dollar so paying in peso saves lots of money.

1 Thank Karl007
quebec
Reviewed 1 March 2009

well where do i start ,i love the staff overthere so friendly and so helpfull even if they dont speak english all that much every single one of them was great the only ones i have a problem with is the hostess they really do a mess of things
food was ok ,to many things in sauces for my taste but adlist it was warm not hot but warm not enought seafood really
like everyone says you need shoes do go in water there is very little sand mostly rocks if your looking for the perfect sand beach photo this isnt it but i wasnt there for the beach i was there to eat and sleep i went to many excursion and this is the perfect half way point to go just anywhere
if your a pool person then you wont mind , but then again this place is well overbooked so be prepared to set your towels on your chairs as early as 6:00 am

1 Thank leptit
Toronto
Reviewed 26 February 2009

First time writing a review but felt like I needed to give back what others here gave us.

My wife and I with another couple (ages: 27,28, 30 and 32) traveled to Catalonia from Feb. 14-21. All we can say is 'WOW'.

Rooms:
A lot of people were saying that the Lookea rooms weren't as nice as the new suites on the Maya side; they were right. The Lookea rooms were little older and yes maybe even ‘dated’ but the size of the room is great and they are not as bad as people say. We stayed in the Lookea side and had no problems at all. The rooms are clean, spacious and the bed was comfortable.

Food:
Amazing. Doesn’t matter which restaurant you go to they food is great. There are 4 restaurants but you can only book 3 for the week. Pick which ever one you would enjoy because like I said the food and service is wonderful. We enjoyed the buffet as well.

Resort/Grounds:
All of us couldn’t believe how hard everyone worked keeping the resort so nice and clean. I mean all day long people were racking the sand at he beach to make it look nicer. The resort itself is huge, make sure you take the time to walk around it and see everything - from upstairs to the La Crepiere to the Sports Bar.

Staff:
Every single staff member we talked to was so polite and always smiled. They made you feel like they really wanted you there and actually enjoyed their jobs. It was a pleasant surprise. We have been to many resorts from Sandals, Bahia to Riu and thought that the staff at Catalonia were probably the best we’ve had. The animation/entertainers were by far the best. They work all day and night and still have the energy to smile and make sure you are having a great time.

Activities:
So many activities to choose from. Everyday we played beach volleyball, absolutely loved the fact that there was always a game and people were always participating. We won most of the time, I think we were called Team Sexy Canadian or something like that. Anyways, it was a blast.

Beach:
A little rocky at parts but just bring swim shoes and your fine. We snorkeled everyday and loved the fact that we didn’t need to go far to see great fish.

Overall it was an amazing time for a great price. Even if it was more expensive I would recommend it, you’ll absolutely be shocked at how wonderful this place is. We plan on returning for sure some day. Thank you for the memories.

4 Thank DudeFromToronto
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Stayed from Feb 15-22/09 in standard rooms. Group of 7. Here are the Pros and Cons:

Pros:
-gated community (Puerto Adventuras), we felt so safe and would go for morning and evening walks outside the resort with no worries
-Dophin Discovery was located at the Marina which is in walking distance and you can see the dophins and sea lions for FREE!
-Great little shops and boutiques at Marina location
-Food-EXCELLENT, at buffets and a la cartes. We very impressed with the Italian and Mexican restaurant. Amazing steaks at the Grill house (service could be a bit better at this place)
-DRINKS-OMG!!!! Can you say "premium liquor for no extra fees?". We were surprised over this. We've stayed in many 5 star resorts including Riu, Bahia Principe, and all you get is the domestic watered down liquor. Not here...premium brands all the way!!!
-Entertainment Staff-they work so hard and put on such great shows and activities
-Bar and Restaurant Staff-Excellent; will do anything to please you even without tipping.
-Cleaning staff-Excellent as well. Rooms were very, very clean
-Beach-We actualy thought it was one of the best beaches, because we were able to get into the ocean without actually walking on the coral reef. We were able to be in waist height calm water. The snorkeling was amazing here and again for FREE! It was amazing to see the fish that stay here. If you are concerned taking water shoes. I didn't and was fine.
-Disco-really good too! Great music and it's part of the package, so drinks are also included. We loved it because it meant no need for going off the resort and arranging transportation.
-FREE INTERNET; many people don't know this....there is free wireless internet in the front lobby of the Mayan Rivieira. You must take your own laptop or Blackberry (hand device). My daughter took her laptop and was able to complete some homework and submit it electornically to the teacher while on vacation. People in our group with Blackberries, stayed in touch with friends and family for free too. The PIN number is the hotel room number. And if yours doesn't work, just pick a random one....as it will work.

CONS:
-Standard rooms were fine for our 1st visit because after all you just go there to sleep.
One of the couples with us actually lucked out on getting an upgraded room for free because they were overbooked. If I was to go back, I would spend the extra $25/night to get the upgraded room. Very nice and you get a bar fridge too. The upgrade is per night not per person, so for an extra $175 us you do get a much nicer room.
-Shuttle to Resort-AWFUL!!! We had to sit and wait for over 1 hour for people that decided they were taking their time at the airport and just decided not to board the bus right away. So the tour rep couldn't leave without them. The bus was a bit moldly and one of our group members has an allergy to mold and had to get out the puffer. The bus on the return trip home was excellent (No mold). Took us 1 1/2 hours to get to the resort.
This was a evening flight, so we only got to the resort at 1 a.m.
-Welcome to hotel; Arriving at 1:00 a.m., there were no welcome drinks and little staff so it took us forever (almost 1 hour) to check in. Restaurants and bars close at 2:00 a.m. so little time for us to grab anything. No accomodation was made for our group that arrived very late. This was very disappointing to us.
-Bracelets-Hotel checks passports to ensure only individuals over the age of 18 get an adult bracelet and get served alcohol. Great rule!!! Except...be consistant. We had a couple of kids in our group aged 16 and 17 who got the non-alcoholic bracelet, yet we met young girls aged 14 and 15 with adult bracelets drunk out of their minds every day...
AGAIN, apply the laws and ensure you check everyone's passports or ID.

TIPS
-If you're going into Playa del Carmen; walk up to the front gates (15 min walk) and take the collectivo for $200 pesos (app $2) as it's much cheaper. Very safe. You share a mini van with locals, but it's clean and has air conditioning.
-Take the free shuttle from the hotel to either get to Playa del Carmen or back. Because the shuttle leaves at 9 a.m. and only comes back at 5 p.m., we chose to take the Collectivo to Playa del Carmen at around 2 p.m. and then took the free shuttle back to the hotel at 5 p.m.
-Use the ATM at the hotel and take out pesos. You get a better deal by using pesos instead of US dollars
-Take snorkeling gear; The snorkeling is amazing at this property, so you may be waiting a long time to get the hotel equipment. We took our own and were glad we did.

Conclusion:

We would definately go back, but this time stay for 2 weeks and upgrade to a nicer room.
Great family property and very safe. We loved it!

• Stayed February 2009
3 Thank Lump Inc
Sherbrooke, Canada
Reviewed 24 February 2009

Upon arrival in Cancun, we had only to walk outside and quickly found our shuttle bus to the Yucatan Beach resort. Thankfully, it was a direct bus so we didn't have to stop at all along the way. The resort is about and hour or a little more from the airport and thankfully we didn't hit any traffic. We arrived around 3pm. We were over 50 people on the bus, so it took a few minutes before we got booked in, but they greeted us with drinks and we were very comfortable in the lobby. Our check-in was quick and uneventful and since we were hungry and it wasn't meal time they directed us to the snack bar. This snack bar (Bamboleo) was great, always a good selection of pizza, chicken wings, nachos, tortillas, hamburgers...the works! We went there often in the days ahead.
Our room was on the first floor, so not much of a view, but we were close to everything and it was clean. It was a very basic, standard room that looked like any other basic hotel, but it didn't matter to us because we were there for what was outside, not inside. There was a bath and shower combination, but again, the facilities were very basic. The housekeeping staff did a different towel design every day, so that was cute.
There were lots of activities available on-site, although we didn't participate. The animation staff seemed very good. We also had access to non-motorized water sports such as kayaks, snokel gear and a catamaran. There is a lagoon on the left side of the resort where the water is very calm and there seem to be more fish there, although we saw some nice specimens on the beach-side, too. The beach is quite nice, white sand and all. But there are alot of rocks, so I would recommend water shoes. I walked out onto the coral jetty during low tide, lost my footing and ended up with a couple of nasty scratches, so I should have had my water shoes then.
Of the bars, the Abuelo was our favorite in the evenings, and the Chill out bar during the day. The swim-up bars were nice, but almost always crowded and the bartenders were a little overwhelmed. There was another bar Terazza that we didn't try, but it seemd nice, too.

The restaurants were very good with a good assortment of food. It was fresh and very tasty. Since we're always careful, we especially liked having our food prepared in front of us. The Mercado ended up being our favorite, and we always had breakfast there. We went to two à la carte restaurants, the Bella Vista (Italian) and the Bamboleo Steakhouse and they were both AMAZING! We inadvertantly missed our reservation at the Japonese restaurant, which I greatly regret because people were saying it was tremendous.

We were on a romantic getaway to celebrate our ninth wedding anniversary so we more or less kept to ourselves, but this is a very family-friendly resort. I would go back in a heart-beat with my kids and actually intend to do so in a year or two. The campus is small and easy to find your way around. There are shows each evening and a movie every night, too. If you walk for about five minutes there are little shops, swimming with dolphins, more restaurants, a marina, etc...We also took the shuttle to Playa del Carmen, but it is very touristy and didn't interest us very much. The beach is nice there, though and to do it again, I would take the ferry to Cozumel.

I found it very helpful to always keep pesos on hand, though I usually tipped in US Dollars. For paying the buses, collectivos and other transportation, it is in your best interest to pay in pesos.

Overall, we were very happy with the Catalonia Yucatan Beach, would go back and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a relaxing vacation.

3 Thank KDCRAE
Gatineau, QC / Ottawa, ON
Reviewed 23 February 2009

I read a lot of reviews on this website, so now I feel obligated to write my own :). We stayed at the hotel with a friend between February 15-22. In general, the experience has been very positive, and now seems even more so after the dreadful return to Canadian winter.
To reiterate what has been said over and over: food is very good, the hotel is impeccably clean, the service very nice and the environment in general extremely relaxing.
The downside for me was a long ride from the airport - about 2 hours on the way there, with numerous stops at other hotels, and over 1.5 hours on the way back to the airport. Also, the beach is indeed rocky, you cannot just jump in the waves without thinking because you have to watch your step. The water is very warm, however, and despite the rocks, we spent a lot of time in the water (without water shoes).
I went to Tulum and Coba/Mayan village, both sites are a must for those who love history/archeaology. Thank you Eliu, our guide for the Coba tour - it was a fantastic day! I climbed the pyramide in Coba, and seriously, if you are afraid of heights - don't do it. If saw people swearing and almost crying on the way down. I had to go down backwards and on all fours, because the stairs is very steep and as high as a 14-floor building, and I just could not descend while looking down. It is an experience to remember, however (I've already told the story to all my coworkers...)
The marina in Puerto Aventuras is super nice and small, only a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Playa Del Carmen is good for shopping, as I went by myself and after dark and did not want to wander away from the main tourist/shopping area. Not that it looks dangerous, but be careful crossing the streets. Don't forget to bargain as you shop.
Personally, I liked the bouffet better than the restaurants, though the show at the Japanese was pretty impressive.
We had a basic room on the 4th floor, with a beautiful view. The elevator worked just fine. We had some minor problems with water pressure, but it was no big deal.
I don't think I will go to the hotel again in the near future, as I'd like to experience new things/places/countries, but I can definitely recommend it.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
#78 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!