Our stay at the Catalonia Yucatan was a perfect vacation! We are going back to the Riviera Maya this year, but don't want to go back to the same resort twice in a row. So we're looking for another resort... with ALL of the same amenities and pluses that the Catalonia has!
FRONT DESK: Not overly friendly, but you only deal with them for a few minutes. Not bad. When we first arrived, the manager said "WHAT?? WE DON'T HAVE YOU IN THE SYSTEM!!! NOPE! NO RESERVATION!" ... and he was joking... we realized after a very scary and awkward few minutes. Not really a good joke to say...?? Especially to travelers after an 8+ hour day of traveling.
FOOD: Very good. The variety in the buffets were great. The a la cartes were also very good. The service was good. All who worked in the restaurants were very nice and helpful.
BEACH: PERFECT! A long regular beach part with nice white sand, great for walking on. And the best part - a lagoon. It is gorgeous, a nice place to sit in front of every day and great calm waters. The ocean here was calm and perfect for swimming. The snorkeling is EXCELLENT, right on the resort. Tons and tons of fish to see. Bring bananas or breads to feed them & they will swarm around you. There is also a beautiful pier to walk on.
ACTIVITIES: Beach volleyball, snorkeling, kayaking, etc. They also had bikes you could borrow for free. That was nice. There is a small little town/area called Puerto Aventuras that is a 5 minute bike ride from the resort. There are shops there and a marina with dolphins. It is free to go into and fun to visit!
ROOMS: Rooms were okay. I would suggest they buy alarm clocks or clocks for the room - it's nice to know what time it is when you wake up, or to set an alarm if you tend to sleep in! So I would suggest bringing a travel alarm clock, or your alarm clock from home. The beds are pretty hard - but I always had a great sleep and you get used to it. Nice balconies off of every room. Sliding glass doors onto the balcony. Air conditioning worked nicely.
GROUNDS: Nicely maintained.
SWIMMING POOLS: Beautiful, but a bit cold for my taste. And besides, I much much MUCH prefer the ocean...!!! I spent all of my time on the beach or in the ocean.
WILD LIFE: There were NO iguanas inside the resort grounds. There were some over a fence off the property that you could see... but I never saw one inside the resort, which was nice. There were no other animals either. We only noticed mosquitoes one night, and we were up late right by the ocean. Nothing worth complaining about, though!
NIGHTLIFE/ENTERTAINMENT: When we were there, there were the usual dancing/singing shows in the theater. Those are not my taste, so I did not go to any. HOWEVER, in the lounge, there was a singing act "Lupo and Sylvia." They were WONDERFUL! So talented and interesting and entertaining. We went for their show every night we were there & bought the CD!
If you have any questions at all about the resort, feel free to email me! I will answer your question if I can.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4 star Catalonia Yucatan Beach Resort & Spa is located in the heart of the Riviera Maya, on the private estate of Puerto Aventuras. Located on the beautiful Mexican Caribbean coast, this resort is directly on the beach and offers a comfortable and peaceful atmosphere, perfect for a relaxing break. This mystical area boasts many Mayan archaeological ruins that include Chichen Itza, Tulum and Tikal as well as the natural attractions of Xel-Ha, Cozumel and Xcaret. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Southall Travel and Cancelon so you can book your Catalonia Yucatan Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Hotel Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Aventuras