“A week away from the daily grind”

Catalonia Yucatan Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto
“A week away from the daily grind”
Reviewed 14 April 2010

Well after reading all and I mean all the reviews of this hotel I can say most were spot on, the few compliants people had were because you cant please everyone.
Despite the airline we travelled with going out of business 4 days prior to travelling the vacation was great.

Hotel arrival and check-in very fast and friendly. Rooms not available right away but luggage kept secure and the room was available just after lunch. So off to the pool and a quick tour and buffet lunch.

Rooms - we were going to opt for the upgrade but decided to keep the one we were allocated and save the $350 US as it was fine (2 doubles and plent of room for a crib) beds were on the hard side but nothing a few malibu and pineapple drinks didnt fix.

Shower was great a/c was cold Tv was a nice flat screen. Safe was available didnt use it, fridge albeit small byt perfect for water and a few beers or the kids morning milk.

Food - continental breakfast available from 6am for the early risers and full buffet from 630-1030 good selection and plenty of it
a grill type restaurant available from 11:00 with the usual hot dogs and hamburgers salad stuff and pasta complimented with a small selection of deserts excellent servics and very attentive staff no matter how old or what sex you are.
dinner / lunch buffet excellent quality of food varied a little on a daily basis, excellent pasta bar cooked fresh with your choice of additivies
the Creperie excellent and opens at 5pm-10:30 never waited more then 2-3 minutes for a table and that was with a group of either 2 or 8 people
Only tried the Japanese a la carte which was phenominal despite having to get in line at 5pm to get a seating time but just take a beer with you while you wait

The pools were very nice one a party type pool with louder music and the other a family one which suited us just fine- one comment though the water goes from 4 inches to 4 feet deep very quickly ( just a step drop off) the kids pools were small and kind of boring so take a few floaty tyrp toys and play in the big pool

Swim up bars were good and were nota distraction to the pool

The beach was nice but small and yes a little rocky but the snorkelling was amazing
The lagoon was great for kids and adults alike and the fish were plentiful

Took a taxi in to Playa del Carme personally if you have young kids save the cash and walk to the marina same type of stores and tacky tourist stuff.

Take plenty of sunscreen it costs $25-30 a bottle to get more!!!

All in all a great small hotel and wonderful vacation especially with young children

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Polish first
Vancouver Island, BC
Reviewed 13 April 2010

Just returned from a one week stay with a friend. This resort was great. Great beach, great pools, great food, and incredible service and staff. The resort was full while we were there but I never felt like it was crowded. The food at the buffets was good and we never waited inline to get in at any meal. My friend is a very picky eater but she enjoyed the food at all the restaurants and buffets. We tried the Mexican, Tapas, Grill, Creperie, and Japanese restaurant. I would highly recommend all but the Creperie which was just okay, but lots of people loved it. We were given vouchers for three of the restaurants and told that no reservations were required, but we would show up a good 20 - 30 mins before the restaurant opened to ensure getting in otherwise you were put on a wait list. Not a big deal we would grab a pre dinner drink and just wait until it opened and we never had a problem. The only advice I would have is for the Japanese restaurant which was one of my favourites. They have scheduled seating times for groups of 16 to fit around the grill where the chef cooks your food. So to ensure you get the time you want for your group get there at 530 to line up. We went to the show the staff puts on every night and they were all fabulous. The resort is situated in a gated community with a very controlled point of entrance, so it's extremely safe. All the restaurants have water dispensers that they fill with bottled water so drinking water is always available. The rooms are simple but clean and the only reason I didn't give the rooms a 5 is because they don't all come with coffee makers....minor whine. We had a faboulous vacation and I would go back to this resort in without hesitation. My friend and I are pretty laid back and I went to this hotel after reading some of the negative reviews with a little apprehension, but know that I've been I think some people will always have something to complain about. The only issue that we ever had was with finding a lounge chair. It seemed like you had to get up at the crack of dawn in order to get them as people rudely use their beach towels to reserve them and often never come back. There are signs posted everywhere that you're not allowed to do this, so this isn't a complaint against the resort as it's the guests who are being selfish and make it difficult for others.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Winnipeg
Reviewed 13 April 2010

We had our wedding at the Catalonia Yucatan Beach this past January and the experience was amazing. We traveled with a very large group of 46 people traveling in from all over Canada arriving at different times with different room requirements, wants and needs and the Catalonia met them all.

As the wedding couple our stay was fantastic and they really made us feel incredibly special. We were upgraded to a beautiful room that you would expect at a high end 5 star resort, a fruit basket and champagne greeted us at arrival, and everyday we had rose petals and towel art decorating our bed. The rooms our other guests had were also above expectation being very large from the suites to the standard rooms. Everything was very clean and well looked after.

The resort offered a wide variety of activities that met all our guests needs and being a smaller resort we felt so welcomed and got to know all the resort activity staff and many of the servers and bartenders personally. We were even able to request that one of our favorites serve at our reception.

The wedding itself was incredible. The flowers were amazingly beautiful and so cheap. The spa staff did an amazing job with hair. We used the resort photographer for some of our pictures and a friend for the rest and the resort photographer did a great job although they really try to sell you on buying all the pictures they take. They took 400 pictures for us on our wedding day that we could choose from and we got a great selection with the 50 picture package.

The wedding planning staff is amazing and we owe them all our thanks. They were so understanding and work like a well oiled machine. They made everything so easy, keeping our stress levels under control. The ceremony area was nicely secluded and you really don't feel the intrusion of the other guests. Elena and the wedding planning team met all our needs for our music requirements (we had my brother play guitar during the ceremony and they made sure he was perfectly mic'ed), own vows, special pictures etc. We also chose to have a full traditional reception that the resort was more than willing to accommodate in their beach side Looky Bar. The food, decorations and service for this was amazing. The only thing I would change is starting the ceremony earlier, having an earlier dinner so we could have a longer reception (because of room proximity you can only play music at the Looky Bar until 11:30) we were having so much fun and the party kinda died when we moved to the disco...just not the same atmosphere. Otherwise though it was the perfect night.

The only critisism I would give this resort is that there was no where to get snacks after the disco closed, and the food in general was just o.k. (wedding being the exception...it was fantastic). Our only problem was with the Nolitours staff that plans excursions. I would recommend this resort to anyone and I would definitely go back. We've now stayed at 4 resorts in the Mayan Riviera and this is our favorite. We wish we had stayed for our second week instead of switching to a different resort. Thanks Catalonia!

• Stayed January 2010
1 Thank 12Black
Kelowna
Reviewed 13 April 2010

I don't really know where to start, but I'll break it down...

We have stayed at all-inclusives before, and this is the first one we would actually go back to. From the very beginning, the resort was fantastic. We got married on the 17th of March, and we wanted to do it at a resort that was: 1) small enough that all 50 of our guests would run into each other around the resort (huge resorts might make it so we never saw anyone), 2) an authentic tropical feeling theme (some of the 5 star resorts are all marble and way too "fancy.") 3) a reasonable price

We found it.

WEDDING STUFF:

Elena the wedding coordinator was so great. She was very accomodating, extremely helpful, and a real pleasure to deal with. We had enough people that we qualified for "Caribbean souls deluxe" package which was UNREAL! Among other things it included a couple's massage (amazing) and day pass at the spa, a beautifully decorated room with champagne and strawberries and music playing when we got back for the wedding night, and a breathtaking romantic candlelight dinner for 2 on the beach another night. It was steak and lobster, anything else you wanted, and our own private server ! We had breakfast the morning after the wedding in our room too! Awesome.

Marisol and Pilar were two other staff who were so great. They helped with coordinating our music, and any other requests we had. They were also a lot of fun. Pilar liked to mess with us a bit to get our blood pressure up, but she was always kidding and it was really funny. Later in the week, she actually chased the bus down to return a hat to my aunt that she left behind. Amazing. We love Pilar!

The wedding location on the beach was absolutely perfect and private. The worst thing is having big fat guys in speedos standing behind the alter in all your pictures watching the ceremony. This was Literally perfect.

If you want a destination wedding, do it at this resort. You won't regret it.

HOTEL

With 50 people, you get your fair share of issues or problems. EVERY single time there was a problem with someone's room or bags or food, the hotel was SO accomodating. People were moved or satisfied immediately. I was impressed.

We were with Nolitours from Kelowna, and we had guests from Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Winnepeg. The bus ride in and out of the resort was fine (Coronas at 6 AM!), and everyone was happy with the ride and the service.

ROOMS

We were intially in the new part of the Riviera Maya side, and the room was great and new, but it had no view. The second week we moved to the older part which had less-impressive rooms, but we had an amazing ocean view! It was so worth the move.

The rooms are all very nice, but some are better than others. If you don't like your room, they will move you.

KIDS

We had a few young kids/babies in our group, so the lagoon was so great for them. It is very protected so there are no waves, and the beach is really nice. It was perfect for kids. The snorkeling is also pretty great in there. There is also a great little playground by the main lobby.

BARS

Our favorite place to hang out was either by the "Pure Bar" beach or in the Lagoon area. The bartenders are always great and a lot of fun. Pure Bar always had great fast service and the bartenders were great. They even kept a fresh supply of Captain's spiced rum for us the whole time! The "Tequila bar" was the only one where the service was too slow. Those guys had to watch the main bar and the pool bar, so it was hard to keep up. The best quality alcohol was at the Japanese restaurant.

We spent some time in the sports bar which is pretty fun if you have a few people. There are all sorts of games and activities in there. Good times and a very good bartender.

BEACH

The beaches are fantastic. There is a lot of coral and rocks in the water in a lot of places, so you really should bring water shoes. It makes it much easier. There are however a lot of places where you can get out into the water without rocks. We had no real complaints. The sand is perfect, and the water is so nice.

POOLS

Lots of pools to chose from. They were clean and lots of fun. We tended to choose the ones with swim-up bars. Weird.

RESTAURANTS

The Japanese was certainly the most fun. The chefs are throwing untensils and food all over the place! It's a great show and great food. The Mexican and Italian restaurants were also good. Be prepared for RICH food at the Italian place. The crepe restaurant was really nice and there were actually Savory crepes as well. The tapas bar is a good idea, but the portions are ridiculously small. It was almost silly. Of the two buffets, La Brisa was certaily the best. It had the most variety. After 2 weeks I was still not sick of the food.....which is rare. Lastly, go to the steak house once. Great steak, and a very filling meal. If you have 3 dinner tickets, I would go to the Japanese, the Mexican, and the steak house.

ACTIVITIES

The area of Puerto Aventuras is pretty cool. We went over to the Marina area (5 minute bike ride/ 15 minute walk) to see the dolphins and other creatures. There is also some shops and restaurants there. You can rent bikes from the resort. It was fun.

The snorkeling at the resort was kind of boring for the very experienced, but for me it was great! Lots of fish, and some even saw a ray or two.

We did the 20 minute sailing as well which is included. that was a bit silly. The guy who took us wasn't interested in talking or explaining anything. He just wanted to take us out then take us back. It was neat being out there though.

We went on 2 excursions which I will review in those areas of this site. We did the Coba adventure excursion and Xcaret. Both AMAZING!

ENTERTAINMENT

The shows were quite frankly AWESOME! They are a VERY talented group of performers and every show was great. We were all very impressed. 10/10

The club was good when there were people in there. In the beginning the DJ played our requests, but the second week he didn't. It was a bit annoying when there were 12 people in the club and the DJ wouldn't play what we wanted. I was surprised.

In summary, we really loved our experience at this resort, and would absolutely go back. These people are really interested in making sure your trip is great, and it shows. GO HERE!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank brix1978
Halifax
Reviewed 13 April 2010

We stayed at the Cat from April 2nd - 9th. I researched Trip Advisor heavily before booking. There were no surprises for us when we arrived. It was a great week for myself and boyfriend. I'll start off by saying my boyfriend is in the restaurant industry and is very 'selective'when it comes to food and service. He sets his standards high and expects the same....and I am pleased to say he had no complaints! :) (which does not happen often, lol)

Food and Drinks - We were blown away from our first snack and drinks at the Snack Bar to our a la carte dinners in the evening. Luis at the Snack bar never let a drink go empty and never left an empty plate sit in front of us for more than a minute. Luis was fabulous! Leo at the Margarita Bar - I have never seen a harder working fella and he ALWAYS had a smile on his face. Give Leo and Luis a shout out for me if you see them! Leo makes the best Bahama Mamas! Be sure to try some! Oh and the mojitos too!

Buffets were great! Lots of selection. The omelet bar and pasta bar were big hits. Breakfast was delicious, there is a caesar table set up in the mornings too. Lots of fresh fruits.
Dinner at the buffet was good as well. Lots of selection again, the pickiest of eatters will certainly find something enjoyable. Breads and desserts were fantastic, I'm sure I put on a few pounds over the course of the week ;)

The BEST guacamole was found at the snack bar. We usually grabbed lunch here each day and if I could have brought a bucket of this stuff back with me, I would have. Amazing!!

A la Cartes - These run first come first served. Mikado, the japenese tappenakki is most popular. We lined up about 4:55pm as the reservations start at 5:30pm. We were seated in the first dinner at 6pm - perfect!! The show and dinner were great! We also ate at the Italian and Mexican. We lined up at 6pm and were seated in the first dinner. There is a bar where you line up for these restaurants and a server will get you drinks while you wait. Both had great food and great service. Oh and great views of the ocean too! The creperie has great crepes and banana splits. Oh and the cappicino - To die for!!!!! Don't miss out on these!

Rooms - we booked a standard room. We debated upgrading for $30 per day but decided against it. We were pleased with the standard room. It was comfortable, spacious and clean. We were on the ground floor and had no issues with bugs. We did see some baby lizards on our terrace, very cute! Our maid was great. Our rooms were left spotless each day and featured lovely towel art. It was nice to come back in the evening and see what kind of design was waiting! We ultimately decided not to upgrade as we aren't the type of people to spend time in the room. We were only there to shower and sleep. I've read some reviews about the walls being paper thin and being able to hear you neighbours. We stayed in room 1105 and heard nothing! Maybe we just had great neighbours, who knows....but it was quiet :)
Upon arrival, you have two bottles of water in your room. You keep the bottles the duration of your week and fill them up as needed. The staff are more than happy to fill them for you and there are also water dispensers at the Tequilla Bar and Snack Bar. We thought not having a mini fridge in the room would be concerning, but honestly, we didn't even think about the entire stay! It wasn't an issue at all!

Beach - our first day we grabbed loungers near Pure Bar. No problem with finding loungers. No need to wake up at 6am and place your towel out to save your seat. We were up and out each morning by 7:30 - 8am and left our towels then. The ocean has some coral and it's tricky getting in and out. I would simply just walk out a few steps and then get in the water and swim the rest of the way out. After our first day, we discovered the lagoon. We spent the rest of our week here. Sandy bottoms, no coral, calm clear waters and great for snorkling! We brought our own gear. We found a great set at Costco here in Canada for $47.00. Highly recommended :) We spent our days laying out and perfecting our tan and puttering around the lagoon looking at the fish. It was the perfect way to spend your day! The lagoon is close to the snack bar too, so if you are hungry or thirsty, just take a quick run up and grab something!

We aren't really pool people, so I cant really comment on them. There were 5 pools and they looked gorgeous. We saw staff cleaning them each and every day.

Another perk to this resort is that it is housed in a gated community. You felt safe and secure and could feel free to take a stroll around the neighbourhood. We walked to the marina where fishing boats, shops and restaurants are. There is also the Dolphn Discovery. We walked by to see the dolphins. I was far from impressed - the water the dolphins are in is the same water the boats use. This would be against animal rights in Canada, so we opted not to swim with them. If you wish to swim with dolphins, there is another place to go about a ten minute drive from the resort. Contact guest services for more information on this!

We saw 3 weddings during our stay. The set up was beautiful and seemed to go off without a hitch! I now have my boyfriend set on a destination wedding and he said he would definatly be back to this resort to get married!

All in all, our week was awesome. We have wicked tans and came home relaxed! This resort is a solid 4 stars with food and service ranking 5 stars! I'm sure I've missed mentioning something, but the most important parts have been touched on! Feel free to message me with any questions you may have!

We will be back next year!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear BeccaBee09

First of all we would like to thank you for writing and choosing our Hotel and I would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the most importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.

We hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Sincerely
Hotel manager
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We went to the Catalonia Yucatan week of March 27th to April 3rd. We travelled with another couple and did join another couple already there! First- the airport...about an hour and a half in lines so a drink outside the airport was greatly appreciated but expensive. The drive to the resort was lengthy but Coronas were served and that made the rida a little easier. When we arrived after an hour and a half our friends greeted us with cold drinks. Our bus arrives at roughly 1ish or so. Our rooms were ready. Standard room on the Mayan side to be closer to our friends who had upgraded. Our room was great! nice view of the ocean and one of the many pools. Villa 5 room 5034. The grounds are marvelous and clean. Not the biggest resort we have been to but very cozy I think the 2 resorts together bring 500 people. Maid service was the best...we had a fridge but they would not stock it since we had not paid for the upgrade...not a real problem we had enough drinks throughout the day we did not need more once we returned to our room.
The Food- well there are 2 buffet restaurants we tended to favour one...no reason just location I guess...there are 4 specialty restaurants which do not require reservations it is first come first served...this policy does not work...one evening we went to the Italian at 6:30 we had a 2 hour wait this was too long! the food and the service was great but by the time we were out o there it was close to 10:30. I would suggest they go back to reservations.
Puerto Aventuras- a little marina town 5 minute walk from the resort...very safe to walk to and a must. Go to Gringo Dave's great drinks and food...prices can't be beat! 36$ for 2 beer and a surf and turf and fajitas! Our husbands went to town a couple of times for a stroll and to have a few beer.
Plya Del Carmen- free shuttle twice a day one early am and the other around supper time...love the atmosphere but really busy with teens and young adults as it was the states spring break for some. Did sshopping and dinner. Lots of restaurants. Did not buy booze from there we waited until the duty free as the weight does not count after your bags are checked. Great prices as usual on Tequila and Kahlua!
All in all I loved the resort and do love Mexico! Felt safe the entire time! would recommend this resort to all ages.
The only drawback would be the beach...there really isn't one...rocky but paths are easy to follow where there are no rocks. Snorkelling was great for those who enjoy it...fish jump out of the water to grab the food...ie. bananas or bread.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mikeandcor
Winnipeg, Canada
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,168 helpful votes
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I have travelled frequently to Mexico, Jamaica, Domincan Republic and Antigua. Always staying at all inclusive resorts. Visited the CAT from 21 to 28 Feb 2009. The resort is squeezed into a small area but is well located for access to Playa Del Carmen and other hi-lights of the Mayan Riviera. Travelled with my wife (mid forties) and parents (late sixties). We could not find anything to complain about.

First the positives.
The room was not fancy but was clean, a reasonable size, comfortable with a large balcony.
All the restaurants were well above average for an all inclusives resort.
Bar service was fast and courteous.
Live entertainment at the lounge was great every night and the animation team shows at the theatre were entertaining.
Service was outstanding everywhere and was perhaps the best I have every had at an all inclusive resort.
Free twice daily shuttle to PDC.
Snokeling was decent especially if you rounded the point and went to the left. Water was clear with lots of fish.
Pools were clean and cool. Nice on a hot day.
Free bicycles to ride.
Location in Puerto Adventuras gives great acces to bars and restuarants within walking distance including dolphine shows.

Now the negatives.
Not much of a beach at this resort so if you are beach hound, this will not be the spot for you.

Overall I would definately return to the CAT and recommend it for all except beach hounds. As mentioned, the service and food are excellent. Loved the appetizer lounge, Craperie and Japanese restaurant. If you don't like the service and food here, there is no sense travelling in the Caribbean as you will never be satisfied. Solid 4 star resort with 5 star food and service.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
#77 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Palace
Barcelo Maya Palace
#6 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!