“Friendly resort---long bus ride”

Catalonia Yucatan Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 6 May 2010

My husband & I stayed at this hotel from April 3 - 10/10.

Pro's - Good service, very friendly staff who always knew your drink!!
- Good food especially for an all inclusive
- Went to 2 a la cartes - Mexican & Italian- food good - service excellent - very little wait and we were served a drink while we waited 10 - 15 min.
- Check in very fast.
- Very clean room, maid service excellent
- Service at all bars very fast---wait 3 min.
- No lines at buffets, very brief line at snack bar at times, but very little wait.
- Snack bar open late---I think 2 a.m. in case you arrive late.
- Marina area - 10 min. walk - great to chill and get a drink or snack and watch the yachts come in.
- Nice shops at resort.
- Staff appreciated tips---not just expected them.

Con's - Bus ride - 2 hrs. from Cancun, lots of construction which will last a long time.
- Gym was good, but no cleaner to wipe off equipment after each use.
- Beach, very crowded with lots of chairs and some discrepancies over chairs.
- No brewed decaf---not a big item unless you drink decaf
- White house wine was pretty bad.
- If you rely on the internet it is very sketchy--best early in a.m., but in the evening it is not available at most times.

I would go back to this resort as the price was right, but would consider the 2 hr. bus ride to get there, better to take an early flight.
This hotel was well run---no problems with room!

1  Thank Venturemexico
Write a ReviewReviews (2,075)

Reviewed 6 May 2010

Overall I did not enjoy my experience at the Cat. I could complain about many things, but I'll try to keep it brief. Here were some of our highlights and lowlights:

I traveled with my husband, his brother, cousin and a girlfriend. Our rooms were split up, so that my girlfriend was actually in the other sister hotel by herself (on the ground floor). We asked several times to change rooms, but the staff always made it sound like every last room was full to maximum capacity and there was absolutely NO chance whatsoever of a different room. My husband and I were also given a room with two hard single beds.

When going to our room the first night, the bellboy took our bags and left without us. We got VERY lost. FINALLY found our room with our unattended bags sitting in the hallway. Oh, and I'm not sure if it was because we got in very early in the morning, but we were not offered welcome drinks when we checked in, although I saw other guests get them.

The beach chairs were always reserved with guests' towels, but nobody was ever sitting on them! Very annoying that we had to sit on the ground while someone's towel reserved the chairs that they were not using. (This happened the entire week.)

The drinks were okay. Good mojitos and mudslides. Not so good pina coladas.

We had to check out of our room about 12 hours before the bus came to take us to the airport. Even though we requested one room for the 5 of us, (willing to pay $$!), they would not let us keep a room to keep our belongings in or to change in. Our belongings were stored in a large closet with everyone else's. Unfortunately the staff 'guarding' that room would let anyone into it and take anything from anyone's bag. We were actually allowed in the room alone with the door closed. My travel partners had money and clothing stolen from their bags.

The snorkeling was quite good, as the water is really, really rocky - which was ideal for seeing many different tropical fish. There isn't a lot of beach though, so if a nice walk along the beach is what you are looking for, don't look here!

We thought the food was 'okay'. We heard that the creperie was the place to go - and we tried, several times, but the line ups were UNREAL! We sucked it up one time and waited an hour + in line to try out the goodies in the creperie. They were very tasty. It was so busy though, it was hard to enjoy ourselves as there wasn't a place to sit and eat.

The disco was pretty dull. We really tried to enjoy ourselves and went and danced and drank there anyway, but we were literally the only ones on the dance floor much of the time. They played older music, which was fine. They sure didn't skimp on the drinks there though! Ask for a shot of tequila and you got a BIG shot!

The vendors have some nice enough souvenirs, but be sure to barter. (This was my husband's first time to Mexico and he got severely ripped off, which was his own fault.)

I liked the fact that this resort is quite close to Playa del Carmen, and we took a cab there to do some shopping and sight seeing. It is also very close to the marina, which was good - it was somewhere to go off the resort for a change of scenery. Our guys went on a deep sea fishing tour and really enjoyed themselves (apart from getting a little sea sick). They would recommend only booking a half day, because any more than that is overkill and you'd likely get ill too. They caught a shark, and they were able to take some of the meat. We took it to Gringo Dave's restaurant (near the marina), and they cooked some up for us. It was delicious!! I would recommend Gringo Dave's for good food and entertainment.

We took the Coba Maya Encounter tour, which was quite neat! It was a full-day adventure, and included a short zip-line, swimming in a cenote, canoeing, seeing the ruins of Coba and climbing the Nohoch Muul (tallest pyramid in Yucatan). We had lunch with the locals and toured a little village, hiked through the jungle, saw monkeys in the trees, and had a chance to buy some local souvenirs. It was a fun trip and I was glad I got to see and experience everything I did. The negative thing about the trip was that EVERYONE begged for tips. We tipped the bus driver, the tour guide, the locals, the guide at Coba, the people selling stuff...because they made you feel guilty if you didn't!
Looking back, we spent a LOT of money on tips, and if everyone tips a dollar or two half the places that we did, those people will be living extremely well off. Our tour guide also encouraged us not to take pictures, because they had a photographer come with you and you could buy the pictures off of them. We bought the disc of pictures, but when we got home, there were several of us, but many were generic scenic pictures of things/places that we did not see (ie fish), so that was disappointing.

You must go very early to book your a la carte meals. We went right away and the only time left was at the very end of our week. Everyone else we talked to had the same problem. We found it strange that they said they were all booked up, but when we walked by there were always plenty of free seats.

I think what ruined this trip for me was the staff. They seemed unhappy, unfriendly (most, not all of them), and unwilling to budge with the rooms! This was really, really inconvenient for us. It is a fairly large resort too, so we found ourselves getting lost the first couple of days, and nobody spoke English to help us. Based on this experience, I would not return or recommend this resort to a friend.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
6  Thank Chazam03
Reviewed 4 May 2010

stayed @ CAT for a week early April, took US transfers from Cancun airport. Around an hour, arrived hours before the bus at 11am or so. Were told to come get a room after 3!!! as nothing was ready yet. Showed up again @ 2 having noticed the bus approaching.
The guy gave as a room which we did not like, we came back and asked for a different one on Riviera Maya side. Here you go, no problem.
First time in Mexico, always went to Cuba prior to this trip.
From now on no more Cuba. You can't compate 5* in Cuba to the 4* CAT.
People work so hard to please you. Nobody stands over you waiting for a tip, nobody bugging for your clothes etc.
Food is great.
We only went to one a la cart: Mexican. (A little bit dissapointed with the service there.)
After that only went to the buffet. Always good selection, prompt and professional waiting stuff.
Kids club beyond all expectations.
Night shows are 5*.
Entertainment team - lots of fun. Rick is something!
Just go and you won't be dissapointed!
Any questions, please feel free to ask...

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Traveller5205
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I absolitely loved this hotel! It was our first trip to Mexico as a young couple (20 and 22) and I would definetly stay at this resort again! The only problems I would say was the lack of consistency in the heat of the water in the shower! Other than that the trip was great! We wer unlucky that we got 2 solid days of rain storms at the beginning of the trip so I would have liked to have a full week of sun! Everyone who works at both of the Catalonia hotels is very friendly and always says "hola" whenever you pass them!
Tipping helps but even if you forget sometimes the staff make an effort to remember you and make you feel very valued.
Playa del Carmen is only a 10-15 minute cab ride from the resort (some cab drivers are fast and others are very slow) and 5th avenue was a fun place to visit!
The entertainment crew that are usually poolside during the day are wonderful and are always up for goofy fun!
I would recommend this hotel for anyone going to Mexico who would like to stay in the Riviera Maya area since Puerto Aventuras is so close to everything!
P.S. I would also recommend Ranch Baaxal if you would like to go for a horseride on the beach, the view is breathtaking and you can galop on the beach as much as you like!

Reviewed 26 April 2010

We had travel more than 6 times to the Riviera Maya and this has been so far the best place. So many good things could be say about the CAT but as a summary:
Excellent service
Great food with lots of choices
Animation team is awsome
If you travell with small kids this is the place for you since everything is close by
Beach is rocky but nice and the lagoon is next by so you can swim confortably and look at colorful fish rigth from the hotel property

Overall we had a great time and we are already planning our next vacation to this hotel

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Fantastic hotel for the price we paid.
Good food, good service, nice instalations.
Very good thematic restaurants.
Don't forget to try the crepperie!!! It has the greatest milkshakes ever!
The beach was great for snorkling with a lot of rocks but there were also rocks right in the shore so it was a little painful to go into the water.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2010

My fiance and I stayed at the Catalonia for a week and went based on good reviews from others. We had problems with our room from the beginning, and were give a third floor room and were told to come back the next day to get a new room on the ground floor as requested. It took 2 days to switch as they just kept telling us to come back every time we went. Finally there was a woman at the desk one day who was very helpful and we got switched to an upgraded room on the riviera side. Although for those of you who want to pay for an upgraded room, the only difference is a little fridge the rooms are essentially identical. The walls are very thin and it's noisy in some rooms. Our first room was super loud but the one we moved to was much quieter. The medical center is a rip off as well we wanted to use a wheelchair for an activity and they charge $30 US per day!

The beach was nice, but rocky so bring shoes for the water. The snorkeling is awesome there are lots of fish, coral etc.

Restaurants
Overall I wasn't that impressed, and was especially annoyed that out of 4 restaurants you are only allowed to go to 3 of them. We went to the steak house which was the best food and service, the Japanese which was pretty good as well, and finally the Mexican restaurant which was terrible! I thought being in Mexico it would be good, but no. I had shrimp which was WAY overcooked and rubbery. The rice was extremely salty and mushy. The service at the Mexican restaurant was terrible as well. We left big tips for the Steak and Japanese restaurant and none at the Mexican as it was so terrible. The drink service on the beach is awesome and they come around and get your drink orders and are constantly picking up your drink cups.

When we were there it rained for the first 3 days straight so the Sports bar was fun, with pool tables, fooseball and ping pong etc. The creperie was good although closed most of the time we were there as it rained. We went once, and I would recommend the sweet crepes, I had a savoury crepe for dinner as well but wasn't a fan. The milkshakes are awesome! We didn't get to go to the Tapas restaurant either as it was always closed when we were there for some reason.

Down the street there's the marina and dolphin discovery which I wouldn't recommend to anyone as it is disgusting! The dolphins are kept in very shallow water that is shared with the marina water where all the oil is and it's really dirty and gross!

Also there are booths set up in the evening to buy things. The painters are really cool. Be careful some vendors try to rip you off! I bought a set of coasters and it had 6 coasters but by the time I opened it back in my room there were only 5! The guy took one out when he wrapped it hoping I wouldn't notice. We went back and he was like oh sorry and handed me an extra coaster.

3  Thank meela123
Barcelo Maya Colonial
Barcelo Maya Colonial
#5 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Catalonia Yucatan Beach? Share your experiences!