Catalonia Yucatan Beach
Barcelo Maya Colonial(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$216
Barcelo.com
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Caribe(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$232
  • Beachfront
Barcelo Maya Palace(Puerto Aventuras)
US$330
  • Breakfast included
Catalonia Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$246
US$223
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Tropical(Puerto Aventuras)
US$233
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Beach(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$232
  • Pool
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$275
US$262
  • Breakfast included
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)
US$412
US$516
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
2,184 results
All reviewsgated communitya la cartesplaya del carmensnack barwater shoestapasfishcrepesstandard roomriviera sidejapanese restaurantair transatpure chill out barthomas cooksteakanimation staffsea lions
Reviewed 6 March 2011

We usually go south every spring to a 4/5 star resort. We found the food at this resort to be excellent, as good as most of the 5 stars we have stayed in, our favourite was the Japanese restaurant. Service was excellant and the resort was spotless.We had the basic room which was fine for us as we spend as little time as possible in it. Only went to one nights entertainment which was okay, not great but the usual for resorts. The pools were great and you could pretty much always find a lounge around them. The beach was a big disappointment, was really rocky, make sure you take water shoes as you'll need them. We used the lagoon to get in the water, it's small but at least sandy. If the beach is your thing then this resorts not for you. Overall we were quite pleased with this resort and would recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2011

Dear valued guest,

We really appreciate such nice comments about our food,pools and all our facilities. Those words make us feel so proud of being part of Catalonia hotels.

Let me tell you that it will be a pleasure to have you again soon.

Yours sincerely

Hotel

Reviewed 6 March 2011

We have booked a deluxe privilleged room that suppose to have a jaccuzi and requested in advanced 1 bed. when we came, we waited 3 hours for room to be ready and I verified with the receptionist an the time of check-in that it is a deluxe room, she told me ''of course madame'' and when we got there we found a regular room with 2 beds and no jaccuzi. We went back to the reception and been told that there is nothing they can do cause the hotel is full. Only after I said that if they had this room to sell me they should have it to give to me and if they won't than we'll go back on the first plane thay started moving. In the end we got our room the next day: the jaccuzi is actually a regular tub just outside. We were supposed to have some kind of welcome kit: tequila, chips, etc. -never got it, even water bottles were missing and the Nolitours agent told us we cen by water for 1 dollar at the hotel shop and refill later- if the hotel have water to sell they should have it to put in rooms. The Privilleged package includes ''free internet access'' which is actually 1 computer accessible from 9am to 5 pm and that means a lot of waiting in line. The hotel does not accept USD bills!!! So if you brought some with you you'll have to exchange them in pesos, the problem is when for example you take a spa treatement that cost 100 USD you exchange you cash to pesos and get 1100, you go the the reception to pay your bill but they don't have price list in peso they take the same 100USD an make exchange but with higher rate so they want 1250 pesos. bottom line is you 100USD massage cost you 115. Our pick-up for the airport was at 7am and the Yucatan reception is closed for the night so we had to do the checkout at the Riviera side and then haul our baggage to the yucatan side to wait for pick-up. we've been told that we'll have some breakfast at the Riviera lobby cause we leaving early but exept for some plain bagel and coffee there was nothing (not even 1 fruit).
we did like the hotel itself the pools and the food so we think it's really unfortunate that the administration part of the hotel really sucks and you have more problems than vacation.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

We deeply appreciate your comments because our clients opinion`s help us to identify our weakness but the most important is that they help us to improve our service.

Please accept our must humble apologize for not covering your expectations. We will take care your experience so seriosly and will work so hard on every single part of our service.

On the other side, we are glad that you enjoyed food and you liked our facilities. That is why, we kindly ask you for a new chance not only to comply with your expectations but to exceed them.

Yours sincerely

Hotel Manager,

Reviewed 4 March 2011

We quite liked our stay and give the overall experience an 8/10.

Good points:
-Extremely clean, impeccable actually
-Friendliest and most hard working staff I've ever experienced
-Nice rooms
-Well located
-Spa is nice, massage was good, the gym is great too, they had spin and pilates classes
-Food was edible and there was an effort to switch things up here and there.
-A-la-cartes were good, not great, but good

Bad points:
-had to wait in line for 2 hours for an a-la-carte dinner reservation (brutal)
-very rocky beach, hard to get in and out
-no ocean front rooms
-small resort and sometimes got a bit noisy, lack of quiet space near the pools
-The prestige room has what they call a "jacuzzi" on the balcony, we took this room and were disappointed that it was actually a bathtub that takes over 2 hours to fill, we never ended up using it.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Reviewed 27 February 2011

Every time before I go on a trip to somewhere, I tend to check up on the hotels and see what kind of reviews the hotels would receive. Whenever I see a bad review among good reviews, I tend to think, wow, this person must have really high expectations. Today I find myself writing a negative review, but please don’t think I had really high expectations going there.

I was at the Catalonia Yucatan Beach Hotel and Spa for a family wedding in February 2011.

Rooms: Standard rooms need MAJOR renovations. Not all standard rooms have the same “standards”, and a huge variations among them. Needless to say, we started off with the poorest standard. If you are familiar with the motel chain La Quinta in the US, you would find these rooms even less comfortable than the ones commonly found at La Quinta (I am using this specific chain because their similarity to the Spanish/Mexican inspired decor). The entire room is painted screaming white, lack of lighting, the beds are not even with real mattresses, just with the egg carton foam. There is no fridge, no alarm clock, no iron (but available upon request). They provide you with one 1L bottle water per stay, if you are lucky and if you tip well, the house keeping staff “may” bring you a new bottle later during the week.

Due to the poor quality, I visited the front desk daily and spoke with the manager. The response I got was they were at their full capacity, and was promised a room change 2 days later. However the next day, our family members were able to get a much better room with nice updates in the room, when we were told “no rooms were available for change”. Two days later, we were switched to another standard room, which basically looked like the first room, but had a fridge and two bottles of water. After visiting the manager daily and providing “financial incentive”, we were finally switched to a better room 5 days later.

The hotel advertises the “privileged suites” and asks you to “upgrade now”, but it is impossible for the upgrade. Those rooms are their top notched rooms and basically you can’t get them unless you were booked into them to begin with.

Every time I walked by the front desk I would hear people inquiring about upgrading rooms or changing to better rooms. I am not sure why they wouldn’t just invest more money into updating the rooms and save everyone the trouble.

Beach: The beach is VERY rocky. Yes, you would not get nice corals without rocks. I guess I am not a big fan of snorkeling, and I would much rather enjoy swimming in the ocean. A friend of ours got a foot infection from a scratch by the corals and ended up requiring antibiotics during the trip. It is not a beach that is family friendly, if you want to swim make sure you wear aqua shoes!

Restaurants:
Buffets: Overall the buffets were nice. Selection of foods is not large, but on the most part the foods are tasty.

Their reservation system for the A-la carte restaurants needs a major reorganization. They have one service staff, sitting at a table, with sheets of paper to write down everyone’s reservations. This is the ONLY location to make reservations, and I lined up for 90 minutes before I made the reservations. Compared to other resorts that have computerized systems, this seems far inferior.

Mikado Japanese Restaurant: This is the best a-la carte restaurant at the resort. They serve teppanyaki style food and basically is a dinner and a show. The deep fried ice cream for dessert is not to be missed. The bar inside the restaurant is the only location that has international selection of alcoholic beverages.

Bellavista Italian Restaurant: Decent restaurant providing fair amount of food. The pasta tastes home made, but home made is not necessarily a bad thing. Do not get the tiramisu for dessert, I am not sure where they got their recipe from but it is not how you make tiramisu.

Mexican Restaurant: Decent authentic Mexican (not surprising since it is Mexico), portion size can be small considering what you order.

The Grill: This is the day time snack bar converted into a restaurant. Quality is fair and steak is ok. When you order the steak for medium rare it is probably medium. The chicken has nice flavor but is a bit dry.

Terrace Tapas lounge: this is a new restaurant at the resort. VERY small portions, you can treat this an appetizer course and go to the buffet after. Quality is mediocre.

The Creperie: Service staff is very rude. We had a baby in the group and broke one of their candle holder by accident, they made a huge deal out of it, asked for the room number and was going to charge to the room. They collected the broken pieces as “evidence” and brought it to the back to “examine” it. They never made sure if no one got hurt, and unlike the North American culture I am used to, you NEVER have to pay for something like that if you break it by accident, ESPECIALLY when it was a baby! The hotel advertises this place to be open from 1700h to 2300h. Twice we were there before 2300h we were denied service and was told it was closed. The first time we were there at 2245h, we were denied service, so I thought, fine, it is a bit late. But the second time we were there at 2230h and the place wasn’t even that busy! In fact another table was just placing their orders! I would hope the hotel train their staff to be consistent with what time their places are open till.

However, the quality of the crepes and milkshakes are very good. I would recommend going there but be cautious you may be treated poorly.

Spa: nice facility providing decent whole body massage. Good value considering we received a deal for $55 for 50 min massage (the spa staff were walking around on the beach soliciting)

Gym: Decent size with fairly new equipments. They also have spinning classes daily which are also very good.

Salon service: good service

Pools: decent and well maintained, what you would expect for a resort pool. They clean the pools nightly with chemicals.

Wedding: This was the best part of the trip. The wedding was well organized, on the beach, beautiful. The wedding cake they made for the wedding was very tasty.

Overall, we still had a positive experience because it was a family event. However we will not return to this resort in the future for the poor service and the poor quality hotel rooms.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Kinase10

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 26 February 2011

Great time at the Cat, Excellent service and everthing was spotless.The food is good a the Japanese Restaurant is a nice bonus.
I am not generally a big tipper but even I wanted to to tip the staff because they were fantastic.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family